• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[G-A-F] Christian couple vows to divorce if Same-Sex Marriage is legalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbis

"Once you say that marriage is detached from children"

My wife and I haven't had any kids, and don't plan to. Shouldn't this couple already be divorced, since I've already destroyed their definition of marriage?
Yes and you're a terrible person along with all those damned infertile married people.

He also feared that recognising same-sex couples would mean that the definition of marriage could be expanded even further.

Soon fathers will be marrying their sons and women will be marrying their cats.

It's the end of all life and reason.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ponn

Banned
This affects me as much as legalizing same sex marriage would. If you dont support same sex marriage keep bigotry to yourself. Stop falsely personalizing it to validate your bigotry and crusade against it when has no affect on your life at all. Its the stupidest most selfish petty thing to do.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I guess they'll just have to take one for the team, then.

HylianTom

Banned
This is funny. And strained. And, umm, "creative."

And just wait - things are about to get creative here in the USA soon!

Take a day or two off, enjoy the festivities & fireworks & tears & dancing - we're about to get perhaps a once-per-generation civil rights decision!

Nephtis

Didn't think I'd be doing this but....
image.php

massoluk

Banned
I don't understand these people treating Christianity as authority on marriage.

What? Buddhists, Muslims, Atheists, Sikhs, or Pastafarians don't get to marry?

Kinyou

Doesn't sound like they have a healthy marraiage if they want to divorce over something like this.
I wonder which one of them had the idea

"Hey, you know what would be cool? If we get divorced when same sex marriage is legalized"

Armaros

"Once you say that marriage is detached from children"

My wife and I haven't had any kids, and don't plan to. Shouldn't this couple already be divorced, since I've already destroyed their definition of marriage?

Old people and infertile people can and have gotten married, so marriage is dead and buried then .

"We're so pissed off we're gonna do something that's strictly forbidden in our religion but that isn't taboo anymore because everyone has accepted it!...wait a second..."

MJPIA

The website that hosted the original article the article in the op is based on is down but you can read a cache of it here if you want.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c.../2015/gay-law-change-may-force-us-to-divorce/

This has been a big decision for my wife and I. Some will accuse of us being bigoted or too hateful to share. But this couldn’t be further from our intentions.

The truth is, “marriage” is simply too important. It is a sacred institution, ordained by God. It has always been understood to be that exclusive relationship where one man and one woman become “one flesh”. Any attempt to change the definition of marriage by law is not something in which we are able to partake.

Here we stand, we can do no other, and I know we are not alone.

So he says buuuuuut

It’s worth saying that our decision is not as extreme as it may seem. We will still benefit from the same tax and legal provisions of the state’s “de facto” laws.

Talking the talk but they ain't really walking the walk.

pgtl_10

What I find interesting is that they believe same sex marriages will lead to polygamy. Should we be outlawing polygamy?

What I find interesting is that they believe same sex marriages will lead to polygamy. Should we be outlawing polygamy?

Polygamy is illegal already.

And they're using what's called a slippery slope fallacy. "well if we do A., then A leads to B., B leads to nuclear annihilation and the end of 'MURICA!"

It's a typical way for people who don't have an argument to try and make it sound like they have one.

BigDug13

Isn't this a different form of "I'm going to hold my breath until you give me what I want" or "I'm not going to eat until I get my way"?

It's like some Dane Cook skit, "Are you happy gays?! I went through a divorce cuz of you! I did my fuckin best! I did my fuckin best!"

mcarlie

Banned
They want to get divorced de jure but remain married de facto, since they wouldn't recognise the legal definition of marriage in Australia if same-sex marriage was recognised by the state if I've understood this correctly.

pgtl_10

Polygamy is illegal already.

And they're using what's called a slippery slope fallacy. "well if we do A., then A leads to B., B leads to nuclear annihilation and the end of 'MURICA!"

It's a typical way for people who don't have an argument to try and make it sound like they have one.

I know but why is it outlawed? That never made sense to me.

Can get divorced right now, no questions asked. How is that for such a sacred institution?

Eck, people get divorce the day after.

I think what the couple mean is to divorce from a legal standpoint as opposed to separate themselves or disavow their vows. They no longer recognise the state's authority to judge marriages, so they are renouncing that previous judgement of their own marriage.

This is like having a robber in your house and threatening to shoot yourself unless they leave. And then the "robber" is just your neighbor, knocking on the door to ask for some sugar.

I think what the couple mean is to divorce from a legal standpoint as opposed to separate themselves or disavow their vows. They no longer recognise the state's authority to judge marriages, so they are renouncing that previous judgement of their own marriage.

Why the state? Why not the Church's authority? They'd still be married under God, but not under the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom