• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[G-A-F] Christian couple vows to divorce if Same-Sex Marriage is legalized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me a fucking break. Same sex marriage is doing just fine here in NY and not once have I ever been in the middle of plowing my wife where I stopped and said "You know, honey....this just isn't as good now that OTHER people can enjoy it too....we should part ways".

Divorce is as sin as well if they wanna get all super strict about it. And the Bible says sin is sin. The good Lord doesn't rank one above another.

Archer

xKHjt5L.gif

steadfast

No one should give a shit who marries.

By that same token, no one should give a shit if anyone divorces (besides the kids, natch).

Therefore, no one gives two shits about this couple.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"I told you gays would ruin the sanctity of marriage! As soon as gays were allowed to marry I got divorced! Checkmate, atheists."

JC Lately

So if gays can get married, they don't want to be married? The fuck?

I think I can speak for non-bigoted married people everywhere, gay or straight, when I say

E4637B97-121F-4148-9055-9C9F3B25795A_zpszbtyipwq.gif

We don't want you in our cool kids club anyway.

Wow. They must not really hold their Christian beliefs all that high. Since you know, God doesn't like divorce either. Smh.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Doesn't the same book of the bible (Leviticus) that condemns homosexuality also condemns divorce? Aren't both basically the same level of sin?
Probably, but let's not pretend this is coming from anything other than bigotry and wanting to deny people's rights. I doubt they really care what the bible says.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The Sydney morning herald had this shit as the main story on their site all night last night. Who gives a fuck what two morons are doing.

dejay

Banned
Well, I've changed my stance on the subject, thanks to the brave and noble sacrifice this couple is going to make.

I knew it was Australia, just by all the political stuff going on around the subject here ATM.

I thought marriage was a religious rite for most Christians and was therefore something defined within the domain of their God. Why would the legal definition of it matter? Are they implying that God and the Holy Bible are slowly being homosexualized, too?

Monocle

Carry on, idiots. Throwing a tantrum over loving couples being treated like humans is pretty embarrassing, but at least Jesus would totally approve of your actions, right?

gruenel

Doesn't the same book of the bible (Leviticus) that condemns homosexuality also condemns divorce? Aren't both basically the same level of sin?

It also condemns eating pork or shellfish or wearing clothes made of different fabrics, those statements are conveniently ignored though because they can't be used to make other's lives miserable.

Mexen

From my understanding after reading The Holy Bible (the Christian literature/scripture that faith/religion is based on), God hates divorce. However, Jesus gave only two grounds for it- death of a spouse and infidelity. I could be wrong but if they are really Christian, then they are disobeying God if that's the reason they want to give, defeating the whole purpose of their servitude to Him. ChristianGAF, please clarify. Thank you.
Ironically, I'm of the view to let people do what they want as long as it's legal and that includes the couple, defeating the purpose of this post. Lol.

Raonak

Banned
I think they have a good point.

in that, why is polygamy illegal?
I'm firmly in the thought that people should be allowed to do whatever as long as all parities consent. :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm surprised this even made it into an article. I mean, who the hell cares that some stupid couple is going to get divorce over a stupid reason?

Cronox

Banned
Well, actually they probably should expand marriage to include polyamorous triads. By not being able to legally marry, their otherwise legitimate 3-person relationship doesn't allow them the same rights as married folks. Slippery slope turns out to be a good idea...

mrpoopy

- Husband wants to get divorced but can't afford to lose half of everything.
- Tricks wife into getting a painless divorce.
- ????
- profit

Valhelm

contribute something
Sounds like a brilliant way to explain-away a failed marriage to religious families who might usually oppose divorce.

Dryk

I think they have a good point.

in that, why is polygamy illegal?
I'm firmly in the thought that people should be allowed to do whatever as long as all parities consent. :/
I think it's baggage from the era (we're not out of in some places) where polygamy being legal enables men to strong-arm women that don't want to be there into a group marriage. I think if we're not there yet we're fast approaching a time where the number of people that can build a group relationship with mutual respect outnumbers the classical misogynistic ones.

Valhelm

contribute something

No, the divorce ban was a Christian tradition. In the Hebrew Bible, divorced women are seen as less pure than virgins but marrying them is generally kosher.

Why Jesus (or his early interpreters) opposed divorce is beyond me. The rest of the New Testament's teachings are pretty liberal by our definition. Maybe Jesus (or early Christian proselytizers) thought that banning divorce would protect women?

I think it's baggage from the era (we're not out of in some places) where polygamy being legal enables men to strong-arm women that don't want to be there into a group marriage. I think if we're not there yet we're fast approaching a time where the number of people that can build a group relationship with mutual respect outnumbers the classical misogynistic ones.

No, it's because traditional Christian law banned polygamy, because traditional Christian law followed the Roman model. Nowhere in the Bible is polygamy explicitly banned, but due to a long history of enforced monogamy, group marriage was traditionally associated with non-Christian barbarism. It certainly did not help that continental Germanic peoples practiced polygamy before their adoption of Romano-Christian culture, and that most non-Western medieval peoples (such as the Irish, the Muslims, the Slavs, and arguably the Norse) practiced polygamy.

waypoetic

Banned
Happy divorce then. Or something. Or you could always move to Saudi Arabia but i'm not sure you'd be as comfortable being christians in that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom