• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2013 Hip-Hop Awards | The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm surprised that someone beat Yeezus. Either would have my seal of approval. My other surprise is Man of The Year as SOTY, I love Q but none of his shit off Oxy has hit the spot for me yet.
Most people will throw Danny a bone no matter what, and I think generally, it probably ended up on more lists whereas we have people on GAF-Hop that will go out of their way to spite Ye (as evidenced by the L of the year results).

Hey CRS, it would probably be a good idea to include some data in OP, even if it's just point totals.

zkQHAT1.gif

yikes at MMLP2

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's very true. Edit- @Enzo

It makes sense in retrospect, but this time last year I doubt anyone would expect Ferg to get more love than Rocky.

IrishNinja

i thought Danny earned it, if even just for side A....XXX never really clicked with me so i had low expectations here, and ended up loving Old.

i don't think this list is shit, cause there's weak ones but not many greats i can think of that are absent, at least ones many people would've heard. kind've a slow year compared to the last few.

*edit yeah Run the Jewels not making it is kinda glaring at the moment, at least on the low end

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All the tracks blend together. Its an album for hip hop snobs to jerk off to.
Run The Jewels 2.0 TBH. Lacking replay value, no clear stand outs, sort of a once-through type of affair despite it being so well constructed. I put it low on my list just because of consistency and how well made it is, but it really lacks something beyond just not having standouts to make it memorable.

Aight. I posted a link to the spreadsheets in the 3rd (4th?) post but I can post some numbers in the OP itself.
Ah I missed that. Cool.

HiResDes

It's cohesive, but you're wrong. And that's more of a description of every Vampire Weekend album.

i thought Danny earned it, if even just for side A....XXX never really clicked with me so i had low expectations here, and ended up loving Old.

i don't think this list is shit, cause there's weak ones but not many greats i can think of that are absent, at least ones many people would've heard. kind've a slow year compared to the last few.

*edit yeah Run the Jewels not making it is kinda glaring at the moment, at least on the low end

People that don't like XXX really bewilder me.

Esch

Banned

No they don't actually, they have distinct themes sounds and overarching lyrical concepts. As a rapper, Ka isn't spectacular but his lyrics are clearly superior to almost everyone writing hip hop music right now. This is painfully obvious to anyone who actually likes hip hop in a non-ironic sense, as a real artform. I'm not surprised you're not digging it, it's something real and tangible, a work made from painstaking hours with a pen and paper and years of observation and wisdom. It's not something cobbled together with a bunch of trendy sounds and flavor of the moment producers. It's one man's life experiences etched onto silicon, and you don't have the maturity or ability to understand or appreciate it.

effzee

No they don't actually, they have distinct themes sounds and overarching lyrical concepts. As a rapper, Ka isn't spectacular but his lyrics are clearly superior to almost everyone writing hip hop music right now. This is painfully obvious to anyone who actually likes hip hop in a non-ironic sense, as a real artform. I'm not surprised you're not digging it, it's something real and tangible, a work made from painstaking hours with a pen and paper and years of observation and wisdom. It's not something cobbled together with a bunch of trendy sounds and flavor of the moment producers. It's one man's life experiences etched onto silicon, and you don't have the maturity or ability to understand or appreciate it.

Or you know even recognizing the talent, someone can find it boring.

I thought it was ok. I listened to it once and whenever it pops up on my playlist but nothing I think to myself "man I gotta listen to the whole album over again!"

Its actually how I feel about the new Talib Gravitas project too.

Jitters

No song stands out. Sure hes a good lyricist (not my favorite.), but that doesn't bring those boring ass songs to life. It'll be enough for the snobs tho.

I'm sure he made the album he wanted though, and I respect that.

Esch

Banned
Run The Jewels 2.0 TBH. Lacking replay value, no clear stand outs, sort of a once-through type of affair despite it being so well constructed. I put it low on my list just because of consistency and how well made it is, but it really lacks something beyond just not having standouts to make it memorable.
Yeahh, no. Off the Record, Jungle, Peace Akhi...

The Night's Gambit is the exact opposite of a once-through affair. You have to listen to it multiple times because of how lyrically dense it is.
No song stands out. Sure hes a good lyricist (not my favorite.), but that doesn't bring those boring ass songs to life. It'll be enough for the snobs tho.

I'm sure he made the album he wanted though, and I respect that.

This is why I'm saying you're a content tourist. Because the strength of Night's Gambit is in the lyricism and you don't have the ability to appreciate it.

Nights Gambit is a hard listen, I can't knock someone for not digging it. It's like the exact opposite of mainstream radio friendly, sugary chorus, braggy one liners and designer anything name dropping.

I've listened 3 or 4 times and I'm still digesting it, it's dense.

I liked Old but its definitely not 1 in my book, 2nd half is fun to ride to but it doesn't have too much replay value for me. Surprised to see Asap Rocky in there too. That album was a disappointment to me, even more so that his weed carrier had a much better album than he did.

Camp Lo

Banned
It's cohesive, but you're wrong. And that's more of a description of every Vampire Weekend album.

People that don't like XXX really bewilder me.

I like XXX tenfold over Old honestly. Was kinda disappointed with the new album but he had some songs with his shtick so I fuck with it.

Jitters

Nights Gambit is a hard listen, I can't knock someone for not digging it. It's like the exact opposite of mainstream radio friendly, sugary chorus, braggy one liners and designer anything name dropping.

I've listened 3 or 4 times and I'm still digesting it, it's dense.

Thats a reason the snobs will love it. Keep those Em fans away.

Gorillaz

Also I'm surprised that Yeezus was rated that high too. Probably the most lukewarm/mixed response album he put out. Even over 808.

and he wasted that Daft Punk production on On Sight. Another rant another day tho

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still need to listen to Ka. I've got pretty diverse taste in hip hop but I'm more drawn to poppy or swag shit that I can drop into mixtapes, it seems like a pretty heady album.

Esch

Banned
Thats a reason the snobs will love it. Keep those Em fans away.

This is an interesting ad hominem, especially directed at me. I'm a Jay Z stan, love plenty of swag/hype/commercial pop oriented music. Sorry, I'm by no means a hip hop snob, I have equal love for low and high brow.

Jitters

This is an interesting ad hominem, especially directed at me. I'm a Jay Z stan, love plenty of swag/hype/commercial pop oriented music. Sorry, I'm by no means a hip hop snob, I have equal love for low and high brow.
I wasn't directing that at you.

Danny needs to go full Side A next one. I listen to that side a hella lot more.

EDIT: I'm not directing those "hip hop snob" comments at anybody specifically. I just knew when I heard the album, those types would be drooling over the thing. Thats all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, the data sucks so bad. Sample is way too small.

4 people rate MMLP2 as their favourite, with two 1s and one 2, and it's a top 10 amongst 32 votes.

Seems like there's only really agreement over the top 5, pretty big drop off after Trap Lord.

Esch

Banned
I wasn't directing that at you.

Danny needs to go full Side A next one. I listen to that side a hella lot more.

Fair enough. FWIW I don't have anything against MMLP2 and had fun with Magna Carta. At this point these dudes just exist to give us hot singles/bangers, and I got a couple from both.

Neither deserve top 10 votes though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Old would have been stronger as a whole as a one sided album refined down only the best tracks, but there's so much good shit spread across both sides of that album that I had to give it a decent spot on my list. XXX is still his quintessential album, but Old is a success as far as I'm concerned.

PBY

Banned
Old would have been stronger as a whole as a one sided album refined down only the best tracks, but there's so much good shit spread across both sides of that album that I had to give it a decent spot on my list. XXX is still his quintessential album, but Old is a success as far as I'm concerned.
Oh I agree they're both good, maybe even great. But XXX is special, whereas Old isn't for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1. KA- Night's Gambit
2. Starlito - Fried Turkey
You really messed with The Patriarch that much? I felt it got sort of.. redundant? in places.

Most definitely.

I still think Old is Top 10 worthy.. it just had flaws that became more apparent as we got out of the hype cycle. It still has a shit ton of great and okay songs on there.

I've been a fan of Ka's for awhile, I love his albums...but I can readily admit he's not for everyone. Some people simply won't appreciate his music due to his voice, minimalist production, and lack of any flair or swag. He's just an MC, and that's not enough for some people these days.

Night's Gambit is near perfect to me, but I wouldn't vehemently argue for it with someone who didn't like it. I understand why that style isn't popular with people.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
As much as I enjoyed Run The Jewels, the energy of that album petered out after the first month.

CRS

There were like 20 less votes from last year. There could be various things that attributed to this, using Google docs, hiding the Google docs in an EMAIL tag, requiring a minimum amount of albums, requiring song of the year vote as well, etc.

I dunno, still a shame that there was such a low number of votes. Some things to consider for next year's vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom