• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2013 Hip-Hop Awards | The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Damn, I totally missed the topic and didn't get to vote. Haven't been on GAF as much lately I guess.

Good for Old and Night's Gambit, though. Dope albums.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Run the Jewels burned fast. It got a lot of rave reviews, but it's a pretty short and shallow album. It was some fun shit to jam to for a couple weeks but it doesn't have much staying power.

Fjordson

What's an album I should check out not in the top 10 from last year? Any type of hip-hop.

(nothing against the top 10, just heard 'em already)

Fjordson

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is why I'm saying we should do like a top 30 or 50 essential albums list. Gaf-hop could come together and populate a quality list of that size, between major labels and indies there's enough content for it, and it would be a great resource. These top ten lists are just empty popularity contests. It could be like Des's quarterly shit but for the full year and backed up by all of us.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is why I'm saying we should do like a top 30 or 50 essential albums list. Gaf-hop could come together and populate a quality list of that size, between major labels and indies there's enough content for it, and it would be a great resource. These top ten lists are just empty popularity contests. It could be like Des's quarterly shit but for the full year and backed up by all of us.
We tried this, sorta. Mixed results.

Any classics or essentials list you find out there on these blogs or sites have bias, it's hard to avoid or to control for, and inevitably trying to be fair ends up screwing another artist over from inclusion.

PBY

Banned
1017 THUG

I declare it to be the 11th best album of 2013, and officially award it gaf hops honorable mention.

My laziness strikes again and I didn't vote. List seems alright, even the stuff I enjoyed last year I was pretty eh on. Probably would have had Old at the top so that wouldn't really have changed anything. Weed carrier-less ESGN would have been my AOTY easy

jkanownik

Surprised by the lack of Run the Jewels. I didn't vote because I didn't get 10 hip hop albums last year, but I bought a lot of albums and it definitely made it in the top 10 overall.

Dorygrant

Damn I didn't know there was a hip-hop vote!

Atleast Chance got some recognition. Love that dude.

Where's Childish? Or does that not count for last year?

overcast

Where's Childish? Or does that not count for last year?
It does. He doesn't really get a lot of love from GAF-Hop, which is understandable. I like him, but I'm definitely not shocked he's out of the top 10.

You guys should check out the thread in community. Could always use more questions and discussions brought in.

IrishNinja

Damn, the data sucks so bad. Sample is way too small.

4 people rate MMLP2 as their favourite, with two 1s and one 2, and it's a top 10 amongst 32 votes.

Seems like there's only really agreement over the top 5, pretty big drop off after Trap Lord.

really am blaming myself for not voting this year, just got caught up recently & didn't hear all the stuff i wanted or revisit the early year stuff to see how i felt.

Top 5 is spot on, then wtf happened? Lol. Eminem in the top 10? :[

i know we (rightfully) are gonna keep bitching about this, but enzoes kinda pointed out how skewed the small sample group makes shit, and with the manic stannery in some of the OT em threads last year we're kinda lucky it didn't rate higher, honestly

Where's Childish? Or does that not count

yes

Tokubetsu

Would have totally disowned gaf-hop if Gambino had made top 10 tbh. Even with a small group voting. As garbage as the em album is I'd rather it there than Gambino. Legacy vote and all that.

I should probably have voted to further piss you all off but I don't do votes/lists, and the more people vote the more relevant the data seems. Not that you won't keep going at each other's throats over this shit anyway.

25 bucks was enough to make OLD rap album of the year. it came out soon after my mom died and it perfectly described the life of having a mother that is always there trying her best, and a father who is in and out of jail.

25 bucks is my sotg.

IrishNinja

citizensyndrome not everyone's a fan of my centipede style, but you can express more than one thought in a post

throwin' that out there

The first verse of The Night's Gambit starts with:

Left behind my childish ways...... deal in adult matters-
-For petty pay, work every day like there's no Sabbath/

That's the album in a nutshell. No nonsense grown man grime rap backed by sparse hard edged atmospheric production. It's not for everyone, but it's an amazing album.

Aside from that and OLD (which I ranked way lower), I'm not seeing eye to eye with that top 10 at all, but that's okay because I know it was a great year. Hell, I'm still discovering projects like Oddisee's Tangible Dream that would've probably found a spot in my list had I heard it before the voting period ended.

overcast

citizensyndrome not everyone's a fan of my centipede style, but you can express more than one thought in a post

throwin' that out there
Haha. Maybe he's trying to shake that juinor label.

Man, all these people are ripe GAF-Hop prey. Gotta make it to the OT! :[

HiResDes

down with legacy voting, booo

see i like dude's shit but slept on both this year, maybe i missed it but i don't recall my man des hyping em either?
Naw Rap Album One would definitely be in my top twenty, and Cassette 3 also. GREAT releases, with a few flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom