• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it does have a bit of dead space vertically. I guess that's why I don't shoot my portraits too wide...can't yet cause my widest full frame lens is 50mm, but I don't think I was shooting too wide on my crop sensor camera either. You might want to see if you can find a 35mm prime for cheap if you want to shoot wider, but not as wide as 14mm. I was just going through a couple of shoots and I usually just don't shoot too wide. My widest recently was an 18mm and that was me doing a something interesting with the perspective. For wide...depending on camera I'm pretty much between 23 and 35.
If I get the spare cash, I'm thinking of the samyang 24mm, but I really love my 14mm. It's hard to use, but I love the photos when they come out well.

If I get the spare cash, I'm thinking of the samyang 24mm, but I really love my 14mm. It's hard to use, but I love the photos when they come out well.
Yeah get what you need, just be more mindful if you're going to be doing more portraits. I do more fashion and event work so I pretty much focus on lenses geared more towards those two things. You do macro and astrophotography, so I'm pretty sure we would rarely be looking at the same lenses.
DSC_2886 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2911 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2919 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2941 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2947 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Yeah get what you need, just be more mindful if you're going to be doing more portraits. I do more fashion and event work so I pretty much focus on lenses geared more towards those two things. You do macro and astrophotography, so I'm pretty sure we would rarely be looking at the same lenses.

Actually, my 14mm and 100mm (which were for macro/figure and astro) have very quickly become my favorite lenses to use, even for portraits (though the 14mm is, of course, quite difficult to use). They don't get the *most* usage, but they do get my favorite photos out of them. I dunno, I just always find 50mm photos to be quite... plain. So my two "extremes" have served me quite well.

So I'm wondering, for you other event photographers, how often do you take advantage of changing the aspect ratio of your photos? I've found a lot of success in making more impactful photos just by using 21:9 or 16:9 ratios on certain photos, particularly group shots. Really helps with cutting out the fluff and build focus on the group.

Actually, my 14mm and 100mm (which were for macro/figure and astro) have very quickly become my favorite lenses to use, even for portraits (though the 14mm is, of course, quite difficult to use). They don't get the *most* usage, but they do get my favorite photos out of them. I dunno, I just always find 50mm photos to be quite... plain. So my two "extremes" have served me quite well.

So I'm wondering, for you other event photographers, how often do you take advantage of changing the aspect ratio of your photos? I've found a lot of success in making more impactful photos just by using 21:9 or 16:9 ratios on certain photos, particularly group shots. Really helps with cutting out the fluff and build focus on the group.
Believe it or not I don't even crop too much anymore. For event work I don't bother, especially for my job. If they want to use it for something they can get the graphic designer to crop it the way they want. If something is really annoying me than I'll crop something out or if I want the subject to be more of the focus in the shot, especially if there's too much dead space above the head. 100mm isn't an extreme for a portrait actually considering that I do most of my portraits with my 70-200, just depends on the look I'm trying to go for. I just think UWA portraits are kind of one of those experimental sciences. You really do have to do it a certain way to get it right or at least not have too much in the background or at least have a more interesting background. I actually saw a video that wider angle portraits are for more of an up close intimate look. 50mm is ok for portraits, not my preferred focal length but it works, I might even like 35mm more than 50mm for portraits, I'm even starting to like 85mm as well just depends on what I want. I guess I'm just a bit too finicky about random dudes in my portraits cause I usually do my best to avoid that kind of stuff unless it's just freaking impossible like when I had that shoot on a packed bridge over the summer.

Believe it or not I don't even crop too much anymore. For event work I don't bother, especially for my job. If they want to use it for something they can get the graphic designer to crop it the way they want. If something is really annoying me than I'll crop something out or if I want the subject to be more of the focus in the shot, especially if there's too much dead space above the head.

Well, I do photos for the military, and they really don't give enough of a damn to then hand i to anyone else to do anything further. However I give it to them is how it goes up haha.

20161106-20161106-DSC07302.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Like this photo, I wouldn't post up at the default 3:2 ratio, but at 21:9 I like it a lot more (even if the eyes aren't quite pin sharp).

Well, I do photos for the military, and they really don't give enough of a damn to then hand i to anyone else to do anything further. However I give it to them is how it goes up haha.

20161106-20161106-DSC07302.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Like this photo, I wouldn't post up at the default 3:2 ratio, but at 21:9 I like it a lot more (even if the eyes aren't quite pin sharp).
Out of camera there must be a lot of dead space if that's with the 14 so with that yeah you'd need some cropping. That might be why I just shoot tight as hell, I try to pay some sort of attention, but at times I don't notice something glaring till like a few days after I've edited and submitted them cause I'm always in a rush. I don't look at anything after I give them to my job it's all on a server or my hard drive, I just don't even bother. Same happens with my personal stuff. I don't usually reevaluate anything till sometimes weeks or months after I've shot it. My reactions to stuff shot about a year ago are not kind for the most part...yeesh I was green. I don't even have to go that far...I was bad this year...probably didn't get some what decent till maybe June I think. Checked my camera roll in Flickr and April/March aren't too bad. There's some bad but there's still some decent stuff in that time frame. I hate going back to older stuff and seeing out of focus shots. I got a lot better and figuring out focal length and shutter speed requirements not to mention just better overall at photographing people.

vern

F'd up the quotes and too lazy to fix it... sorry dudes.

Really like the second one. Colors are great.

I'm in a photography groupchat out here in China and seems everyone is getting into drones now. I honestly find it to be boring, because everyone just goes up high and shoots down at stuff. It's all pretty much the same shit, especially because nearly everyone is in Shanghai shooting the same buildings over and over. I have made a few comments that go unheeded in those chats about maybe going from a lower angle, while still being at a place that you can't get to with just your feet... seems you've read my mind. I really like this shot, because of the angle and height. I haven't done any aerial stuff before so I don't know the actual process of composing a shot, but from my perspective it seems that people into aerial stuff don't really think about the composition but instead just think it's cool to fly around and take some snaps of whatever is below them. So good work dude.

I just watched Dr. Strange and it reminded me that I haven't shared a bunch of photos from Nepal still. My photos are strewn across 3 hard drives so it's hard to organize and figure out what I've uploaded before, and also what I shared here on GAF. So here are just a few more shots from Nepal, taken a couple months ago.

First not sure if I prefer BW or Color:

Nepal Field by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal Field BW by Eric, on Flickr

Diner by Eric, on Flickr

In the Bagmati by Eric, on Flickr

In the womb by Eric, on Flickr

Chill by Eric, on Flickr

Sharp by Eric, on Flickr

Fam by Eric, on Flickr

Billy Lee

Hi, can I ask for some beginner tips in this thread? I'm going for a trip to europe soon with my family, my uncles and aunts will also be there so it's quite a number of people, I expect a lot of taking group photos, and also some more spontaneous photo of my family talking and having fun I guess. any good tips for good composition guidelines for group photo or just typical tourist photograph in general?

I have Sony A6000 with standard 18-55 and 55-210 kit lenses, I also have Nissin i40 flash and small tripod. not sure if the flash will be used often though, should I leave the flash connected to my camera all the time, or maybe just occasionally when I'm in door or during night time? also wondering if I should bring the tripod. we're on a tour, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to take out tripod and bringing it everywhere.

speaking of night time, I also have question, how should I take pictures during nigh time? from my experience, using flash leave the person well lit, but it left the background dark. I assume I have to lower the shutter speed or raise the ISO?

Raising the ISO will also brighten up whatever the flash is illuminating so you don't want to do that. Flash ignores shutter speed so you just need to lower the shutter speed to brighten up the background. Basically ISO and aperture control flash, shutter speed controls ambient light.

Raising the ISO will also brighten up whatever the flash is illuminating so you don't want to do that. Flash ignores shutter speed so you just need to lower the shutter speed to brighten up the background. Basically ISO and aperture control flash, shutter speed controls ambient light.
Actually, if he raises the ISO, the flash won't need to fire off as bright, so that will have the effect of brightening up the background, without washing out the subject. If it's manual (as the Nisin is iirc) he'll need to make the adjustments himself.
However, if you have a lot of background that you want to have bright and visible, using a flash will make whatever is in the flash's range comparatively more bright. The less you rely on the flash, the more evenly it'll be lit.

Quick question to you all PhotoGaffers, I use photos I found in this thread as references for my digital art. I post them on my facebook regularly, is that cool? I don't bullshit anyone who's asking and admit I do use this or that photo as reference when asked. I made changes like change the subject to anime characters and what not.

brerwolfe

Quick question to you all PhotoGaffers, I use photos I found in this thread as references for my digital art. I post them on my facebook regularly, is that cool? I don't bullshit anyone who's asking and admit I do use this or that photo as reference when asked. I made changes like change the subject to anime characters and what not.
I would say no, not cool. We share our photos here amongst the group, and on other platforms, but we do that of our own volition. If you choose to post someone's photo somewhere without them knowing, there's no way they'll be able to confirm whether they're getting appropriate credit or not until they come across it by some other means.

Short answer, if you want to post someone else's photo somewhere, ask them. Show them where it'll be posted and in what context. You need to give them that right.

**edit-- I should clarify that I'm in no way speaking for everyone. People will have different takes, I'm giving you mine. Please don't use any of my photos without my permission.

brerwolfe

...maybe going from a lower angle, while still being at a place that you can't get to with just your feet... seems you've read my mind. I really like this shot, because of the angle and height.

I just watched Dr. Strange and it reminded me that I haven't shared a bunch of photos from Nepal still. My photos are strewn across 3 hard drives so it's hard to organize and figure out what I've uploaded before, and also what I shared here on GAF. So here are just a few more shots from Nepal, taken a couple months ago.

First not sure if I prefer BW or Color

First off, thanks for the compliment. It's funny because I was having a conversation with a friend about my neighbor's philosophy with drones-- he doesn't care about the photography or composition, he only cares about distance and looking at things he can't see from the ground. Dude flew 8 miles across an empty lake just because. Nothing about it looked interesting, and he wasn't going for "interesting." He was going for "just because I can."

But I get it. For a lot of people it's about imitating something they saw more than trying to create original content. And that's fine, too. I think as the popularity grows we'll start seeing more creative art, but right now everyone's first instinct is to fly high and look down.

And regarding your color/b&w photo, the color version is beautiful and inspires my imagination more.

Awesome set overall.

You should definitely be asking for permission if you are using another's art, even if it's just as a reference. We likely won't mind if asked, but unexpectedly finding someone else's art based on your own might piss some people off.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/h3xantistyle/shares/JY71QJ < Link to whole album

So I've been taking senior photos for my sister the last few times, and here's my current batch of photos I've selected. I still have OH so much to learn about taking photos of like, actual people, but I think I'm starting to get a bit better at it (at least enough that laymen really like them).
I'd really like any ideas or tips for these if you have them.

20161113-20161113-DSC07514.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

20161113-20161113-DSC07463.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

20161113-20161113-DSC07437.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
(Got very close to what I wanted with this, but I was doing the plank across two beams about 5 feet apart from each other to get this as it was. Overall I'm satisfied, but could have done better if I had rock solid abs. Also have the photo from me trying to measure if that vantage point was going to be high enough anyway
https://www.flickr.com/gp/h3xantistyle/048fdP )

20161113-20161113-DSC07411.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
There's a style of photo I was trying to get with this, where you have tree branches in front of the subject acting as a frame, but I didn't quite get away with it the way I wanted. If I had tried this a month ago, I might've been able to find a tree that I could've had her closer to, that would have some slightly more in focus branches to act as the frame.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

RayStorm

[/url]20161113-20161113-DSC07514.jpg

[/url]20161113-20161113-DSC07463.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

[/url]20161113-20161113-DSC07437.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
(Got very close to what I wanted with this, but I was doing the plank across two beams about 5 feet apart from each other to get this as it was. Overall I'm satisfied, but could have done better if I had rock solid abs. Also have the photo from me trying to measure if that vantage point was going to be high enough anyway
https://www.flickr.com/gp/h3xantistyle/048fdP )

[/url]20161113-20161113-DSC07411.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
There's a style of photo I was trying to get with this, where you have tree branches in front of the subject acting as a frame, but I didn't quite get away with it the way I wanted. If I had tried this a month ago, I might've been able to find a tree that I could've had her closer to, that would have some slightly more in focus branches to act as the frame.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

Brief comments:
...7514:
I think she looks a bit unfortunate in this one: small eyes, rather rough skin on her jaw line, and a fairly wide face. Also the shadow of her nose is very harsh.

7463:
Not a fan of the vertical line of the guard rail. Might have been better to have her take another step or two or get rid of it entirely.

7437:
Really nice, but I personally dislike bokeh on the foreground like her hand. What F stop was your camera set to? Also I would like to hear other people's opinion on that matter: blurry foreground elements: yay or nay?

7411:
While the framing with the branches is not really noticeable as blurry as they are, I like the way she looks here. Her eyes do not look as small as in the first picture, aside from the diagonal shadow on the right side of her face and the round shadow between her eyebrows the shadows are not creating much of a distraction.

Brief comments:
...7514:
I think she looks a bit unfortunate in this one: small eyes, rather rough skin on her jaw line, and a fairly wide face. Also the shadow of her nose is very harsh.

7463:
Not a fan of the vertical line of the guard rail. Might have been better to have her take another step or two or get rid of it entirely.

7437:
Really nice, but I personally dislike bokeh on the foreground like her hand. What F stop was your camera set to? Also I would like to hear other people's opinion on that matter: blurry foreground elements: yay or nay?

7411:
While the framing with the branches is not really noticeable as blurry as they are, I like the way she looks here. Her eyes do not look as small as in the first picture, aside from the diagonal shadow on the right side of her face and the round shadow between her eyebrows the shadows are not creating much of a distraction.

Yeah, lighting was not going to be the strong suit there. It was a busy park day, and had to frame around lots of others with light that was soon to be waning.

Excellent point. I could've moved her around a bit more.

I'm a bokeh whore, so it was at 2.8. Maybe I'll try 5.6 in the future if I get another chance. I also feel like I should've lowered the camera more, but was too busy bustin my gut just being up there.

Glad to know one of them came out well! Haha. Was a bit of a hurry trying to keep enough light so I *probably* could've gotten what I wanted out of this with a bit more time, but glad it worked for you.

vern

First off, thanks for the compliment. It's funny because I was having a conversation with a friend about my neighbor's philosophy with drones-- he doesn't care about the photography or composition, he only cares about distance and looking at things he can't see from the ground. Dude flew 8 miles across an empty lake just because. Nothing about it looked interesting, and he wasn't going for "interesting." He was going for "just because I can."

But I get it. For a lot of people it's about imitating something they saw more than trying to create original content. And that's fine, too. I think as the popularity grows we'll start seeing more creative art, but right now everyone's first instinct is to fly high and look down.

And regarding your color/b&w photo, the color version is beautiful and inspires my imagination more.

Awesome set overall.

Yeah I think a lot of it is just playing with a new toy, and I get that. It is just really annoying in that group seeing the same things over and over and over again from different people, especially since they used to do different kinds of things.

I think you should ask first, especially since you are here on GAF in the community it wouldn't be hard to send a PM or something. If you can't ask at least link the original artist to the work so they know you did it after the fact, and when sharing on your social media or website, put a link to the original artists work and cite him or her appropriately. And if you are making any money at all off of it you should definitely be asking first.

Shots from a day in Dali, one of the most amazing cities in China.

Crumbs by Eric, on Flickr

Beauty by Eric, on Flickr

Xiuxi by Eric, on Flickr

Co-op by Eric, on Flickr

Pipe by Eric, on Flickr

Dali, Yunnan, China by Eric, on Flickr

Fishing at Erhai by Eric, on Flickr

Lovers by Eric, on Flickr

xkramz

i just started photography as a hobby with my first ever DSLR . i bought a nikon D5500
and all pics taken with 18-55 Kit lens, i want some critizism. what could i change ? or do better? all shots been taken on Auto since im still not good at Manual. my composition is decent i guess

KEV_0375 by kevin ramirez,

KEV_0145 by kevin ramirez,

KEV_0373 by kevin ramirez, on Flickr

KEV_0387 by kevin ramirez, on Flickr

KEV_0382 by kevin ramirez, on Flickr

KEV_0380 by kevin ramirez, on Flickr

KEV_0299 by kevin ramirez, on Flickr

Fuser

Wow. Love the colours on these especially the last three. How'd you get the colour?
Hi, thanks for the response. The colour was genuine to the day.

The one from the sea was midday looking down on a very rough sea crashing into the cliff a long way down (honestly, why do I stand so close to the edge?). As the waves retracted it left such a lovely colour and pattern that it really grabbed my attention. There was an ancient coalmine right behind me but I was more interested in the sea :)

The second two were pure fluke for being at the right place at the right time. I climbed a big hill before sunrise and it just so happened we got an amazing sunrise with golden light combined with low level fog. The shots were handheld with a 400mm telephoto and honestly it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Even more lucky was that the shot I had planned and gone to grab was actually a load of rubbish, so I came away very happy indeed!

For all the time, effort and money we put into photography, nothing beats being in the right place at the right time. Look at how many cracking photos with mobiles are being shown in this thread! The right kit allows you to exploit a situation a lot more but if the elements are right, a mobile is just fine for most situations.

Finally upgraded from a D3200 to a Sony A7 earlier this week and here's a couple of test shots. It's been a pretty busy week at work with Thanksgiving right around the corner so these are the best I could do lolol.

I've been mostly testing it out to pixel peep and figure out the capabilities of the camera and as you might've seen in the equipment thread, I've been very very impressed with it and I now don't think I can go back to a proper DSLR as long as I stick with old lenses lol.

Finally upgraded from a D3200 to a Sony A7 earlier this week and here's a couple of test shots. It's been a pretty busy week at work with Thanksgiving right around the corner so these are the best I could do lolol.

I've been mostly testing it out to pixel peep and figure out the capabilities of the camera and as you might've seen in the equipment thread, I've been very very impressed with it and I now don't think I can go back to a proper DSLR as long as I stick with old lenses lol.

your sensor might be dirty. That shot shows dust and spots

RayStorm

Nice, but a bit of nitpicking: I'm slightly distracted by the lines of the room inthe background not beign parallel/aligned to the edges of the frame.

i just started photography as a hobby with my first ever DSLR . i bought a nikon D5500
and all pics taken with 18-55 Kit lens, i want some critizism. what could i change ? or do better? all shots been taken on Auto since im still not good at Manual. my composition is decent i guess

Well then...

0375: I would have aimed a bit higher, to have the Mercedes better centered in the vertical direction. But Black and White works well here. Perhaps you could have either shot at a way differnt angle or point of view and thus removed the newer cars in the background from the frame or just shown some of the rusty details of the Mercedes.

0145: That angle (none of them) works for me. I probably would have stood straight in front of the center of the door, kneeled down and shot up and made sure that there's symmetry in the image.

0373: Flowers on a sunny day, nice colours, nice bokeh in the background. Nothing especially unique or even that meaningful, but nice for what it is.

0387: While not as far from my tastes as in 0145, the angle is not the great. I also would like to see the painting in full. Maybe move back several steps, and have the staircase wall at a flatter angle to see more of that as well.

0382: I think you could have moved a step back as well. I would like to either see the whole painting, or a closer crop on a certain detail/facet/contrast. As such it's a bit awkward to cut the white flower on the left off and the feet of the elephant.

0380: Angle and again some slightly awkward cropping of the painting. Though it's not as disturbing as with the elephant.

The past 3 pictures with the wall paintings are interesting enough that you should go back to photograph them some more from different perspectives/levels of closeness etc. Especially the woman with the baby is probably a very photogenic wall.

0299: As with the flowers, solid enough, but not that gripping by itself. At least not for me.

xkramz

Nice, but a bit of nitpicking: I'm slightly distracted by the lines of the room inthe background not beign parallel/aligned to the edges of the frame.

Well then...

0375: I would have aimed a bit higher, to have the Mercedes better centered in the vertical direction. But Black and White works well here. Perhaps you could have either shot at a way differnt angle or point of view and thus removed the newer cars in the background from the frame or just shown some of the rusty details of the Mercedes.

0145: That angle (none of them) works for me. I probably would have stood straight in front of the center of the door, kneeled down and shot up and made sure that there's symmetry in the image.

0373: Flowers on a sunny day, nice colours, nice bokeh in the background. Nothing especially unique or even that meaningful, but nice for what it is.

0387: While not as far from my tastes as in 0145, the angle is not the great. I also would like to see the painting in full. Maybe move back several steps, and have the staircase wall at a flatter angle to see more of that as well.

0382: I think you could have moved a step back as well. I would like to either see the whole painting, or a closer crop on a certain detail/facet/contrast. As such it's a bit awkward to cut the white flower on the left off and the feet of the elephant.

0380: Angle and again some slightly awkward cropping of the painting. Though it's not as disturbing as with the elephant.

The past 3 pictures with the wall paintings are interesting enough that you should go back to photograph them some more from different perspectives/levels of closeness etc. Especially the woman with the baby is probably a very photogenic wall.

0299: As with the flowers, solid enough, but not that gripping by itself. At least not for me.
Nice this is what I want to hear. I gotta work on my composition alot better. Thanks man. I'll work on it. I need more symmetry and I gotta pay more attention to the details on my photos. I appreciate it.

Hello!My insta https://www.instagram.com/greecelike360/

14633255_10207728418908845_1694331975494997223_o.jpg

14633349_10207639157117356_7096953343689619666_o.jpg

14192534_10207305241369671_5280315386251162073_n.jpg

I miss my D600, I have less time to shoot as well due to a seasonal job.
DSC_3920 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3960 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3910 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3924 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Last set with D600:
DSC_2990 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2994 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3037 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3068 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3086 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3112 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3156 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3159 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Got out last night to take some photos, and I'm blown away with what I came out with.

iQmvJy3.jpg
Bigger

My favorite astrophotography shot. I bought this lens to get pictures just like that. Amazing what the Milky Way looks like after a good minute exposure.

ow5JI5a.jpg
Bigger
No tricks here. Just a minute long exposure.

nAl6WSQ.jpg

Bigger
Feels like a Kubrick movie.

jS1sMPV.jpg

Bigger
It may be the little dipper, but it sure looks big.

VHyDXAI.jpg
Bigger
"When you wish upon a (shooting) star..."

GtYyz5G.jpg
Bigger
We're quite tiny in the grand scheme of it all. Many more planets, and stars hang out in that vast milky cloud.

pringles

I thought someone said exposures over 20 seconds would cause star trails. Not the case?

Only if you're zoomed in would you get the trails. I shot these ultrawide at 11mm with a wide open aperture of f2.8.
First off; great shots! Second, there are some light 'smudging' of the stars because of the long exposures. Not very noticeable if you don't look closely but I'd still recommend going with slightly lower exposure time. What ISO were these shot at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom