• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

NysGAF

Nowhere do I feel more like an amateur than when I post here, but you all have been nothing but supportive so here's a couple more. Maybe my bravery will inspire other amateurs to post more photos.

This one is so close to being awesome for me. I love the reflection, but the shadows were terribly positioned. I liked the moment so much that I even used Photoshop to remove the reflection of a telephone wire from the pool.

Reflecting on Thanksgiving

I'm trying to keep an eye out for color combos and I found this green, orange, and blue combo. Very typical of my town.

Southern California Thanksgiving

You're all making some nice stuff. I haven't felt very inspired for the last few months and feel that everything I've shot has been pretty bad. On top of that I've been in and out of the hospital a lot which leaves me with little time to shoot.

Got a strong urge to do some heavy post process work a few days ago oddly enough and managed to shoot this on Thanksgiving day. Processed in color for an hour and then changed my mind and spent another hour on figuring out how to properly use the black and white stuff in LR. I don't like it but I guess it's something.

JP_

Banned
Are Instagram shots shunned here? Instagram (and always having my camera (phone) on me) is the only way I've kept this hobby alive.

14596852_205318826582405_7978467957858631680_n.jpg

14719645_1865385853694908_5362301020204433408_n.jpg

12798176_441273472736635_1110433889_n.jpg

928772_1461874130769436_373045734_n.jpg

12142035_457778667728541_2075227762_n.jpg

11024348_340476569486688_131307730_n.jpg

925499_458646337605298_1188494874_n.jpg

12106017_519400158225557_565707154_n.jpg

13102532_112489569161213_1725662147_n.jpg

11312016_1441313719523081_2006019125_n.jpg

11420744_399919913524528_1185157754_n.jpg

11374157_913997028694118_1736869952_n.jpg

12237294_559183610903526_1711778139_n.jpg

More: https://www.instagram.com/jtown_/

Finally had the chance to take out my A7 for a proper photo shoot. Here's a few of my faves:

I personally didn't like these pics but the juxtaposition makes it quite interesting. Also is it just me or is the one on the right a little distorted?

This one was shot at f/1.8 and all I can say is #bokehwhore haha.

Finally, here's a shot that I can share from the actual shoot:

I really wanted to have the same creamy bokeh from the one before but I had to keep the subject in focus instead of playing to my likes so I had to deal with the hexagonals at the back but it's all good as this is quite honestly one of my favorite pictures that I've taken all year.

JP_

Banned
30458680533_6994479d9f_c.jpg

I personally didn't like these pics but the juxtaposition makes it quite interesting. Also is it just me or is the one on the right a little distorted?

Yeah, seems distorted to me too. Was the image cropped from an off-center position?

Also, hey fellow dallasite :)

Three new ones! Was very pleased with the cloud photo :)

Really neat

Very cool shots. I'm following you now.

Thanks!

Vazduh

So, erm, after seeing part of these photos you guys and gals have posted, my only thought was "welp!". There's so many great photos, I don't know where to begin (I'm gonna probably spend hours just browsing through those and liking them :D Nice to meet you, btw!). I'm a total amateur and only recently I've started taking photos more often, especially after I got myself an old Praktica MTL5B and Olympus Trip 35. Before that I only had a Golden Half plastic camera, but it was surprisingly capable for such a limited toy.

Love shooting on film, especially black and white. More coming soon (finally got myself some more developer and fixer), but in the meanwhile, here are some of my recent photos...

Sivko by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Sivko by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

She's just arrived by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

"Yup, that was loud" by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Dandelions by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Sivko in non-action by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Brother hiding behind the blanket by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Three new ones! Was very pleased with the cloud photo :)

The first one is very atmospheric (as well as the one with the bike you posted earlier)! The cloud shot is also quite nice.
Some pics from a recent trip to Ft. Collins, CO and Golden, CO. Apologies in advance for the nightmare fuel picture, but I like it :)

DSC06233 by Dr.Horrible33, on Flickr

31252169766_f2ce859173_b.jpg
I'm going to piggyback JadedWriter and say that the bike wheel can shot could have been black and white. I also think that the horizon should have been straightened and the middle thing a little better centered but that's just me.

I also like the night shot and hope I can find a similar scene around where I live as it gave me a few ideas.
So, erm, after seeing part of these photos you guys and gals have posted, my only thought was "welp!". There's so many great photos, I don't know where to begin (I'm gonna probably spend hours just browsing through those and liking them :D Nice to meet you, btw!). I'm a total amateur and only recently I've started taking photos more often, especially after I got myself an old Praktica MTL5B and Olympus Trip 35. Before that I only had a Golden Half plastic camera, but it was surprisingly capable for such a limited toy.

Love shooting on film, especially black and white. More coming soon (finally got myself some more developer and fixer), but in the meanwhile, here are some of my recent photos...

She's just arrived by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr

Sivko in non-action by Ante Prskalo, on Flickr
Nice.
Are Instagram shots shunned here? Instagram (and always having my camera (phone) on me) is the only way I've kept this hobby alive.

More: https://www.instagram.com/jtown_/
They aren't shunned. Post away!

I've thought about getting an instagram but I never focus on one thing enough for an instagram account to really make sense (plus some of their posting limitations are a bit annoying).
Some fireworks photos:
Cavalcade of Lights 2016 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

Had to work with a 3 minute show. I think I got some good ones.
I like the second one. Is that some sort of banding on the first and third shots or were there wires there?

Here are some shitty compressed imgur versions of pictures I took on my drive up the pacific NW coast:

4Ilqbez.png

g2IJGv5.png

I'll get them into Flickr eventually, still working on getting a handful through post and these were just off my IG feed. All shot with an X-T2 + XF23mm f/1.4, no crop other than minor tilt adjustments for the horizon.
I like these. I like the colors of the first and the activity of the seagulls combined with the colors of the water, rocks and trees. Should look better non being compressed to death by Imgur.

Vazduh

Here are some shitty compressed imgur versions of pictures I took on my drive up the pacific NW coast:

4Ilqbez.png

5nYjind.png

I'll get them into Flickr eventually, still working on getting a handful through post and these were just off my IG feed. All shot with an X-T2 + XF23mm f/1.4, no crop other than minor tilt adjustments for the horizon.

I like these two very much.

Futureman

My former photography instructor pretty regularly posts some interesting articles on photography. I wonder if NeoGAF would ever be interested in me posting some of them in here?

Teaching Photography as a Visual Language
https://medium.com/witness/teaching-photography-as-a-visual-language-91a9fdf0ce81

It is by establishing this concept of language that I begin to construct an understanding of photography as a process of visual storytelling in which images are words, series of images are sentences and paragraphs, and bodies of work become completed or evolving stories. The importance of narrative within photography is then aligned to a sense of narrative already learned through more traditional study of language construction and presentation. The successful single image can of course come from a series of images just as a beautifully written paragraph or sentence can come from a chapter, but the pre-conceived idea of what constitutes a successful image will then be seen as a demonstration of technical proficiency or given aesthetic implementation of course learning created to meet a marking matrix.

This one touches on similar ideas. Especially using photography for storytelling and how most people seem to be obsessed nowadays with the "single image" rather then a series on a single subject:
https://medium.com/witness/why-is-n...or-young-photographers-to-master-ccef10fb1064

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My former photography instructor pretty regularly posts some interesting articles on photography. I wonder if NeoGAF would ever be interested in me posting some of them in here?

Teaching Photography as a Visual Language
https://medium.com/witness/teaching-photography-as-a-visual-language-91a9fdf0ce81

This one touches on similar ideas. Especially using photography for storytelling and how most people seem to be obsessed nowadays with the "single image" rather then a series on a single subject:
https://medium.com/witness/why-is-n...or-young-photographers-to-master-ccef10fb1064
he's definitely a good writer. I wouldnt mind if you posted more of his stuff.

finalflame

Gold Member
Kerry park? Looks close at least. I really need to go back to Washington. Nice colors!

Yup! Rainy and pretty cold, one of my favorite things about Seattle. Breathtaking view :)

Edit: Some more photos, now uncompressed, and some of the old ones uncompressed:

DSCF1689 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1678 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1422 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1704 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1708 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1711 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1713 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1727 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1787 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1748 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1798 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1465 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1470 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1515-Edit by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1530 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1582 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

DSCF1568 by Victor Mach, on Flickr

vern

Back again... been too long lol.

Had a photo gig in Changsha last week and randomly met these girls in the lobby at my hotel. We went out for half hour or so, was 3 degrees C so that's all we really had the time and energy for. This abandoned place was just around the corner from where we were all staying.

Should be obvious which girl was my favorite, she had a really cool look and was super comfortable in front of the camera.

Hunan Girls by Eric, on Flickr

Back again... been too long lol.

Had a photo gig in Changsha last week and randomly met these girls in the lobby at my hotel. We went out for half hour or so, was 3 degrees C so that's all we really had the time and energy for. This abandoned place was just around the corner from where we were all staying.

Should be obvious which girl was my favorite, she had a really cool look and was super comfortable in front of the camera.

I take it you like the short haired one? She's got the right kind of attitude in her pics.

vern

Sorry for the double post but no one else is around so... I had two gigs with Middle Kingdom Wrestling in the past two weeks. One in Pattaya, Thailand, and one in Changsha, Hunan, China.

They were wildly different to say the least. The Pattaya show was an unorganized disaster thanks to the local promoter plus the parades and shit still going on for the recently deceased king. The show was held in an arena and they had expected hundreds of fans, as the show involved several "promotions" aka leagues, including the Chinese one that I shoot for, as well as promotions from Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, India, France, and Australia. Anyway only about 20 fans showed up so I had to shoot and in an empty arena, which forced me to get a little bit creative both with how I show and with editing.

I don't get paid nearly enough to edit out empty seats for hours on end so I tried to shoot towards the dark parts of the arena, shoot close ups, shoot up or down, wide aperture and no flash type stuff with heavy vignetting. I think the results ended up pretty good, even kind of cinematic at times so I even edited a bunch at 16:9, and unless you are looking you won't even really notice a lack of crowd ( I hope). Some shots from that show are here:

Pattaya Wrestle Stars by Eric, on Flickr

The next show a week later was in China and it was a free event for a grand opening of a new shopping mall. It had a a pretty huge crowd, and it was outside during the day time (in the cold!). So the images I got are a whole hell of a lot different. For this one I did my best to really capture the crowd as well as the wrestlers. It's kind of fun thinking about how to approach the same kind of event (ie wrestling show) but to need to show them in a completely different way from event to event just based on the circumstances completely out of my own control.

MKW Hunan by Eric, on Flickr

Lots more on Flickr. Sorry for so many images!

Place looks empty in the last arena shot. Looking at the daylight settings it must have been bright as hell outside. Nice motion stopping.

vern

Place looks empty in the last arena shot. Looking at the daylight settings it must have been bright as hell outside. Nice motion stopping.

Yep it was like 6 or 800 seat arena... 20 people. 😅

Midday outside for the other one. Yea super bright.

Futureman

he's definitely a good writer. I wouldnt mind if you posted more of his stuff.

To be clear my old instructor didn't write these, he just randomly posts articles about photography nearly every day.

I'll post more when I see good ones... Also need to post more photos!

Good shots Vern. Events can be tricky, feels like every time there's a new set of challenges. I'm off right now to shoot the "Excellence in Nursing" awards. Should be interesting.

To be clear my old instructor didn't write these, he just randomly posts articles about photography nearly every day.

I'll post more when I see good ones... Also need to post more photos!

Good shots Vern. Events can be tricky, feels like every time there's a new set of challenges. I'm off right now to shoot the "Excellence in Nursing" awards. Should be interesting.
Have fun iso riding. I hate indoor events. Like I can do them cause they're part of my job, but god damn turn a fucking light on please.

Been a long time since my last update.

Heres my latest project :

https://vimeo.com/192023674

EbISQsL.jpg

HJz7clO.jpg

If you guys enjoy these color presets, i've made a lut pack that you can use on your clips. Heres a free lut that you can download freely and will give you guys a similar look. Theres also a more complete pack, if you're interested check the sellfy page.

https://sellfy.com/p/4eZU/

Let me know if you guys decide to give it a shot, what you guys think and share some of your results!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
its not image degradation from the TC. but the TC contributed, its a 1 stop loss. So i was at ISO 1600, and its a very large crop. The full size of that image is only 12" and its probably over sharpened a bit (still trying figure out the best settings on the d500) It was also taken just at sunrise but sunrise was crappy with a bunch of clouds on the horizon and i had to bring the exposure up.

this is a better representation of the 1.4 TC, ISO 800 F8 1/500
Red-Shouldered Hawk by Billy York, on Flickr
this is also cropped but not nearly as much.

same bird taken from a different position about 30 minutes later.

its not image degradation from the TC. but the TC contributed, its a 1 stop loss. So i was at ISO 1600, and its a very large crop. The full size of that image is only 12" and its probably over sharpened a bit (still trying figure out the best settings on the d500) It was also taken just at sunrise but sunrise was crappy with a bunch of clouds on the horizon and i had to bring the exposure up.

this is a better representation of the 1.4 TC, ISO 800 F8 1/500
Red-Shouldered Hawk by Billy York, on Flickr
this is also cropped but not nearly as much.

same bird taken from a different position about 30 minutes later.
Ok so on top of cropping the shit out of it you also had to bring up the exposure, which pretty much turns into "adding noise." This now makes a lot more sense. I think my job got in trouble for over cropping an image and then having to use that very same image for large size posters without realizing that they're killing image detail and print size by over cropping it.

Ok so on top of cropping the shit out of it you also had to bring up the exposure, which pretty much turns into "adding noise." This now makes a lot more sense. I think my job got in trouble for over cropping an image and then having to use that very same image for large size posters without realizing that they're killing image detail and print size by over cropping it.

Yeah, you definitely need to think about that shit before you go cropping. Can very quickly go from a really good image to a rather poor one. It's a big challenge for both Macro and Bird photography to be sure.

elfinke

Hello photo GAF. As always it's a pleasure following along with all your photos, thanks to everyone who shares their work and their insights. Most of my shots are of the kids, astrophotography or of cricket matches, none of which make for awfully compelling shareable pics, however just recently I happened to grab the below two pics, so thought I'd share something in here.

Both from my backyard and handheld with my modest Pentax K30. One cropped and B&W from a colour JPG original (of two humongous Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos munching their way through local flora), the other handheld peering out my backdoor while a tremendous storm blew through the place. Both hosted as imgur links, so not as clean looking as they actually are - they do not look all that great at full screen!

Hello photo GAF. As always it's a pleasure following along with all your photos, thanks to everyone who shares their work and their insights. Most of my shots are of the kids, astrophotography or of cricket matches, none of which make for awfully compelling shareable pics, however just recently I happened to grab the below two pics, so thought I'd share something in here.

Both from my backyard and handheld with my modest Pentax K30. One cropped and B&W from a colour JPG original (of two humongous Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos munching their way through local flora), the other handheld peering out my backdoor while a tremendous storm blew through the place. Both hosted as imgur links, so not as clean looking as they actually are - they do not look all that great at full screen!

I dig the cockatoo one! I'd reconsider cropping it to include the top of the head though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom