• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Wii U or Playstation 4?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbone and PS4 are nowhere near ready to buy for me. The only exclusive so far I'm interested in is Bloodborne...and well, that will probably come to PC. So nope!

Get the Wii U.

Bloodborne should appear on PC at about the same time as the new Zelda game.

UrbanRats

Good choice.
Unless you're dying to play Bloodborne, the PS4 won't make sense for another year or so, as long as you have a gaming PC for multiplatform.

You made the right choice. PC + WiiU is a great combination right now. PC gets most if not all of the big third party games and a decent setup will run them better, and the WiiU has the best exclusives at the moment.

Seconding the above recommendation to pick up ZombiU. You can get it really cheap now and it's a really unique experience.

tronic307

I'd go with both, but get the Wii U first. The exclusives are the most unique in the industry, and this allows more time for the must-haves to fully materialize on the PS4.

I regret buying ps4 at launch, not because the ps4 is terrible, but because first year output is usually not strong for any console. Bloodborne is coming up (provided it isn't delayed). If you're not a huge souls fan I think Wii U is superior choice. It has enough exclusive back log + you mentioned you like Bayo. This is assuming you play your 3rd party on pc. If you don't have a pc get a ps4 then, Wii U's third party support is terrible. Many people praise TLOU to high heavens but I don't think it offers so much to be worth buying a ps4 right now.

Exile20

I regret buying ps4 at launch, not because the ps4 is terrible, but because first year output is usually not strong for any onsole. Bloodborne is coming up (provided it isn't delayed). If you're not a huge souls fan I think Wii U is superior choice. It has enough exclusive back log + you mentioned you like Bayo. This is assuming you play your 3rd party on pc. If you don't have a pc get a ps4 then, Wii U's third party support is terrible.

My backlog is pretty huge. I am going through Bayo 1 now and still have bayo 2 then Smash then toad for this year.

Next year will be Splatoon etc and more unannounced games.

Pizza

I love my Wii U, the games have all been varying levels of fantastic. The eshop has good stuff, and it's Wii backwards compatible, which also means you can get the homebrew channel and the cool stuff people have made for that as well! My Wii U gets way more use than I thought it would when I bought it.

Ps4 looks cool, I havent been drawn to anything thats out or coming out enough to buy one, and i dislike monthly fees for online. Its still a cool system though

IvorB

I thought you wanted a current gen console OP, so it has to be PS4. But seriously just get a PS4. It's cute that the WiiU has some good games now but don't you want a console with a future?

Edit: it seems I am too late.

Moofers

Take it from somebody with both: Buy a Wii U.

My PS3 was my primary console last gen. I also had a 360. I skipped the Wii entirely and didn't miss it.

I got a PS4 at launch. So far, the best games are all games I already had on PS3. Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, and Diablo 3. I'm a GIANT fucking fan of The Last of Us. Its my favorite game of all time and even knowing that, I have to still say go with the Wii U simply because you will get such a great value out of it. The games ended up being so much better than I expected and I didn't even realize how badly I wanted one until I had it.

Once you get the Wii U, I strongly recommend:

-Bayonetta 1 & 2 (Duh, right?)
-Zombi U (if you like survival horror, this is such an amazing game for you!)
-Mario Kart 8 (I almost didn't get this because I kept hearing "same old, same old" but its really turned out to be a brilliant game. The track design is near perfection.)
-New Super Mario U (great platformer all around)
-Hyrule Warriors (there's just something fun and innocent about this. Its kinda shallow in some ways, but man it gets hectic trying to keep all your territories under control as multiple teammates are under seige. Plus, dat soundtrack!)

That's everything I have, not counting the virtual console games I've bought, and I'm just loving it. I'm so happy to have one and I had no idea it would be this awesome. I just wanted it because my buddy was comparing Zombi U to Dark Souls and telling awesome stories of survival. I got so much more out of the system already, I'm really happy. I think you will be too!

*Edit*

I see OP has decided on the Wii U. Great move! Enjoy!

cackhyena

Before I had a WiiU, I would have said PS4. The WiiU is one of the nicest surprises in a long time gaming wise for me. Tons of great games, awesome handheld experience with most of them in bed if I want. Really nice little system that will never take off the way it should have.

Salex_

He was also looking for games tho

If you read the OP the only games he specially mentioned were Bayonetta 1/2, Xenoblade, Splatoon, GG Xrd, TLOU, and Persona 5.

The only games that are out now and coming out this year are Bayonetta 1/2, GG Xrd, and TLOU:R.
This shouldnt be a question. The PS4 has literally no games, and wont get it first untill next year (Bloodborne) while the Wii U has an already amazing lineup with the best yet to come. Get a Wii U, and then get a PS4 later when it has gotten som decent exclusives.
lol

Your shtick is beyond annoying. It's possible to use facts and have a clear preference for a company. There's many great posters on this forum that can do this. Learn from them.

cackhyena

If you read the OP the only games he specially mentioned were Bayonetta 1/2, Xenoblade, Splatoon, GG Xrd, TLOU, and Persona 5.

The only games that are out now and coming out this year are Bayonetta 1/2, GG Xrd, and TLOU:R.
He mentioned Nintendo games straight up. And there is plenty of them to recommend that are out.

antitrop

OP sounds like he would like a Wii U more.

Bayonetta 2 and Wolfenstein are my two favorite games of the year, so I just wouldn't be able to live without both, though. =/ Or at least a gaming PC.

Piscus

As an owner of both the Wii U and a PS4, I gotta say...

...you made the right choice. Wii U is the funner console right now
(for me)

Good choice, would have done the same (if I had not already), in a few years you can snatch up a PS4 (reduced price) for the exclusives (which will also be reduced). Don't forget to grab ZombiU!

Exile20

EDIT - Well I've all but decided that I'm going to get a Wii U. I mean after all worse come to worst I can always just sell the console and games for $200 to 300 and put that towards a PS4.

Now I'm just debating whether or not I should wait for the refurbished Wii Us to get back in stock or go on Ebay and find a good deal like this.

Thanks for the help GAF!

Good choice, I hope you enjoy your purchase. Add me if you want, Exile20

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This shouldnt be a question. The PS4 has literally no games, and wont get it first untill next year (Bloodborne) while the Wii U has an already amazing lineup with the best yet to come. Get a Wii U, and then get a PS4 later when it has gotten som decent exclusives.

Edit: Ah, already decided in favour of the U. A wise decision!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well I've all but decided that I'm going to get a Wii U. I mean after all worse come to worst I can always just sell the console and games for $200 to 300 and put that towards a PS4.

Now I'm just debating whether or not I should wait for the refurbished Wii Us to get back in stock or go on Ebay and find a good deal like this.

Thanks for the help GAF!

Good luck finding a good offer and enjoy it.

Outcome

Banned
Like a "VW Gold or BMW X5?"... damn, man, if they both can drive it doesn't mean they are comparable. Wii U and PS4 are entirely different things.
I got PS4 but will buy Wii U in 2015.

Get a Playstation 4.

The record breaking sales of this console will guarantee this console the support of many third Party Studios.

If the console starts to sell good in Japan, we will get more and more diamonds from japanese Studios.

Dragon Quest, Persona, Bloodborne !

On the other side, with the Playstation its a given, that you will get many new ips and creative Franchises - Sony always tries out new things

Teraway, Pupetter, LBP,

ryushe

Man, I remember a time when you couldn't read a thread on Gaf and not trip over post on how shitty the Wii U is.. Even in threads that had nothing to do with it.

Times sure have changed.

The Wii U, btw is the best console this Gen

Robin64

I own both a PS4 and a Wii U. The PS4 is my Final Fantasy XIV and Netflix device while the Wii U gets a lot more love. Not gonna lists all the games, you know them by now. :)

(While I like my PS4, I do wish I had waited a few years before diving in. Just like most devs seem to be doing, hehehehhehehe)

I own both a PS4 and a Wii U. The PS4 is my Final Fantasy XIV and Netflix device while the Wii U gets a lot more love. Not gonna lists all the games, you know them by now. :)

(While I like my PS4, I do wish I had waited a few years before diving in. Just like most devs seem to be doing, hehehehhehehe)

The Netflix app looks nicer on PS4, but I'd prefer Wii U version because the console is so much quieter. I'm not sure why my PS4 heats up so much with simple video playback, hopefully Sony fixes some of these system problems at some point.

i wonder if ff13 on PC is something like the old "capcom test" and if it does well we'll se 15 on steam

Given the budget costs of a FF game, Squeenixs financial health and the install base its selling to, FFXV is pretty much a lock for PC.
There just isn't a big enough console only market for "default" exclusivity any more. Western third parties know this, Japanese ones just aren't as a whole familiar enough with the PC platform yet.

So many years and people still can't use the word "literally" correctly.

Ansatz

I don't know if I would recommend PS4 to a gamer over other platforms. Western AAA is a small part of the entire spectrum.

The selection of indie games and quirky titles is not on par with what other platforms are offering. PS4 may be the best all around platform if your base is western AAA and occasionally want some arbitrary downloadable title then the system is for you but you're missing out on gems, community and free online.

PC -> Nintendo -> Sony -> MS

PC -> Nintendo because Nintendo specializes in a specific area whereas PC has more diversity.

Nintendo -> Sony/MS because by my recommendation you already have a PC, which eliminates alot of games like MGS V in comparison to Nintendo since it's coming on PC too, so what you're left with as a gamer with PC / Nintendo isn't much. I'm still missing out but I can always get a PS4 and its few games I want to play late gen kind of a deal for cheap.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I own both, and the Wii U gets a loooot more play time from me. I'm sure PS4 will have a lot of great games eventually (MGS5, Rime, No Man Sky, Bloodborne...), but right now Wii U has a lot more worthwhile games in my opinion.

Buy a Wii U now and sell it towards a PS4 later.

The library is good but stunted. I bet you could blow through all of the good Wii U games in a month or maybe even a week if time permits. There's not many of 'em coming up either.

Whereas the PS4 doesnt have a must-have right now but has several coming up.

Gwanatu T

Get a WiiU. It's easily one of the best systems I've ever used, hands down, and while I think the PS4 is truly the best console Sony has ever put out the WiiU makes more sense in your unique case. I too am an avid PC gamer and have both the WiiU and PS4, but find myself using the WiiU or PC much more than the PS4. Point being there are far more exclusives on the WiiU that you can't get on the PC right now, and while that'll change with time I think you can safely hold off on the PS4 since you've got a gaming PC.

Percy

Banned
Wii U. It's not even a contest yet (Though that said, I have been having a superb time with Destiny on PS4, among others).

Could be a different story in a year's time, but for now Wii U is the only current gen console with exclusives worth buying a new console for.

Gwanatu T

Edit: Ah, already decided in favour of the U. A wise decision!

That's just plain silly to say. What have I been playing on my PS4 then? Plenty of games, just more on WiiU.

Man, I remember a time when you couldn't read a thread on Gaf and not trip over post on how shitty the Wii U is.. Even in threads that had nothing to do with it.

Times sure have changed.

The Wii U, btw is the best console this Gen
It truly is amazing. Feels like yesterday you have been laughed out of a thread if you said the words "Wii U" and "Bought" in the same paragraph.
Now I hear lots of posts talking the Wii U up.
If only public consensus would follow the same trend, Ninty wouldn't be feeling the squeeze. That's my only regret that while it has some AMAZING GAMES, the general public doesn't even know it exists.

I see Kingdom Hearts in that list! I better go buy it!

Oh wait. No. It's not there. If you want to guarantee playing the game and not having to wait, having a console is still a great option.

I see Kingdom Hearts in that list! I better go buy it!

Oh wait. No. It's not there. If you want to guarantee playing the game and not having to wait, having a console is still a great option.

I was responding to "You won't get a Final Fantasy on the PC" but didn't want to selectively edit the quote.
The clue was the quotation I used and my response to it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you like most of Nintendo's franchises, go with that as it's more variety compared to your PC than you'd get with a PS4.

If you only like a couple Nintendo franchises, then maybe go PS4 as the Wii U won't have enough exclusives to be worth it.

More simpy, get whichever has the most (and the type of genre) exclusives you want to complement your PC.

Ophelion

If you've got a Decent PC, get that Wii U dude! Sure, you'll miss a few great games that are PS4 exclusive like Bloodborne or whatever, but you'd be missing a ton more awesome exclusives by skipping Wii U. Just about everything 3rd party comes to PC anyway...

Top Bottom