• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

Jawmuncher

Glad I was right about it being a reboot.
Look forward to legacy of lain reboot as well.
It's just the easier thing for Square Enix to do and I'm actually glad that they are.

Derrick01

Banned
I will accept there are similarities, but Thief came first dammit.

You don't have to tell me of all people that, I'm just saying the plot outline is exactly the same as Dishonored's setup. This comes after me and others were complaining about people saying the screens looked like Dishonored 2 in the other thread.

DaBuddaDa

responses on the first page shows that we've officialy entered the era of diminished returns. Current gen consoles would render 1/4 of every screen provided here (at 1024*768 resolition). There is tesselation, crisp shadows, advanced lighting, high res textures.

Diminishing returns of screenshots; not in-motion, in 1080p, on your 50" LED TV.

Glad I was right about it being a reboot.
Look forward to legacy of lain reboot as well.
It's just the easier thing for Square Enix to do and I'm actually glad that they are.

images

Mit-

How hard are they going to target the Assassin's Creed demographic?

I think, "piss off all of the old Thief fans" hard.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
*reading the plot*

I'm glad that Dishonored is getting a next-gen reboot already.

Fabrik

Banned
I need to see in motion but I expected current-gen from the screenshots. But I guess it's a case of Pikmin 3, a game that started development on PS3/Xbox360.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Diminishing returns of screenshots; not in-motion, in 1080p, on your 50" LED TV.

Yeah, I have no doubt this will look amazing in motion.

It may not be the most impressive next gen game, nor could it be seeing as how development changed a good way through. That said, as long as the lighting engine holds up and the assets aren't too bad (they look fine), then this game will blow away current gen titles.

*reading the plot*

I'm glad that Dishonored is getting a next-gen reboot already.

thief doesn't play anything like dishonored. Thief is very slow and methodological, while dishonored was somewhat fast paced, thanks to all the super natural powers.

Splinter Cell I & Chaos Theory would be valid comparisons IMO.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Getting Deadly Shadows vibe from the design for some reason. That's not a good thing.

Some of the first person screenshots are pretty promising though, so that at least is good.

I hope that you don't get auto-third-person for other animations as it is in Human Revolution.

And that the level complexity remains. I'm a couple levels past the city bank heist in II, so good.

Also that it's pretty much nothing like Dishonored's gameplay and Human Revolution's level design.

And that you don't have super powers that make the complex levels as easily traversed as AC cities.

Bad screenshots of the previous two games (that matter) since I don't have saves from the good levels.

That's a leap forward in graphics, let's hope there's no leap backwards in gameplay and level design, huh?

KKRT00

Unreal Engine 3?

The lighting looks like a mid current gen UE3 game.

If its next gen only I am sure its probably looks great and these are just weird shots.
Yeah no, and it doesnt look like UE 3 for me, if it is, its heavily modified.

Although i dont like lighting on those shots too much and shadows rendering doesnt look very good.

owasog

As long as it doesn't play like Dishonored I won't care about the other stuff. It can copy everything about that game except the gameplay and I wouldn't care.
Agree. Didn't like the "line of sight" stealth in Dishonored very much. Give me back the "visibility-gem" and I'm happy.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
How hard are they going to target the Assassin's Creed demographic?

I think, "piss off all of the old Thief fans" hard.
They're not at all. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had some issues, but it was largely faithful to what made the original game great, and sold well as a result.

That said, Dishonored was really successful. I'm concerned that Thief will follow in its footsteps a bit too closely, rather than being inspired by its own lineage. Dishonored was great, don't get me wrong, but had a very different type of gameplay.

cbox

The old Thief fans on GAF seem very pleased overall with this initial unveil, actually.

Yep it looks good to me, I haven't played dishonoured, but it looked like it was inspired by Thief.

I just hope they ditch 3rd person, it looked so stupid in Deadly Shadows.

DaBuddaDa

People are so used to bullshots.

It's hard to capture next gen stuff like dynamic lighting models, physics, draw distances, depth of field, motion blur, etc. in screenshots. They're pretty much restricted to be able to show off geometry and texture detail and little else.

JCreasy

Everybody hold up!

*Raises BATSU arms in the air*

This is using Unreal Engine 3?

Well no WONDER it looks current gen. It's using a current gen engine. At least that makes sense.

Blueblur1

Haha ok now after reading that plot outline the Dishonored mentions are more credible. That's a really unfortunately coincidence.
I'm sure that there were people over in Montreal cursing up a storm when they read about Dishonored's plot. It's an unfortunate coincidence but a funny one.

Gave it a quick readthrough. Don't have time to read it properly and give a full bulletpoint list, but the one thing that stuck out is that it at one point experimented with turning it into a third-person action game and thought of introducing a new main character.

FACE

Banned
Everybody hold up!

Well no WONDER it looks current gen. It's using a current gen engine. At least that makes sense.

SW 1313 uses UE3, does that look current gen to you?

I had wished they'd gone for a more steampunk look, maybe not to the same degree that T2 was, but still to some extent. Here they seem to have gone for a mix of medieval European city and Victorian/Industrial-age Britain, which is still pretty good, I guess.

Looks pretty promising, hopefully the fact that it's on next-gen consoles means we get some big, non-linear levels without any loading screens, to compensate for the lack of memory on 360/PS3.

Bittercup

Awesome. I absolutely love the Thief games.
Next gen only sounds fine as well. I just hope the game will still be all about stealth and no fighting. It worked for Dishonored but doesn't fit with Thief in my opinion.
And please huge levels again.

Xenon

I am really hoping for some cool Kinect mini games for pick pocketing, lock-picking, trap disarming., etc.

Man, what a Dishonored knock-off. Do devs have no shame anymore? Why have we regressed from a crossbow to a bow? Golden Cat looks better than that.

lol

Time to correct my mistake and play the Thief games before this :D

Should I avoid Thief 3 or play it just for the famous Cradle level?

FACE

Banned
Man, what a Dishonored knock-off. Do devs have no shame anymore? Why have we regressed from a crossbow to a bow? Golden Cat looks better than that.

lol

Avoid, it doesn't have the great level design and big levels of its predecessors.

lol

I think you should play it, I loved the Cradle.

Orayn

Everybody hold up!

Star Wars 1313 and Samaritan are on Unreal 3, dude. It's a very capable engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gave it a quick readthrough. Don't have time to read it properly and give a full bulletpoint list, but the one thing that stuck out is that it at one point experimented with turning it into a third-person action game and thought of introducing a new main character.
They even had a screenshot of it in third person at one point from that GDC audio session.

What's shoking to me, besides the Dishonored inspiration (which is more an hommage to me) is the fact that in the other thread, everyone tought it was currentgen.

So much for the "technical gap" then.

Top Bottom