• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

Cyrano

Can we stop rebooting old franchises and start fresh? I mean really, can't you make a stealth game without the chains of nostalgia and odd comparisons about how a game measures next to a previous game? It's not exactly difficult to generate awareness in the current videogame market, and cashing in on "Thief" franchise recognition seems like a false pretense anyway.

What's shoking to me, besides the Dishonored inspiration (which is more an hommage to me) is the fact that in the other thread, everyone tought it was currentgen.

So much for the "technical gap" then.

I'm OK with this, as long as the extra horsepower and memory goes towards massive (and I mean T1 and 2 massive) levels.

Orayn

Can we stop rebooting old franchises and start fresh? I mean really, can't you make a stealth game without the chains of nostalgia and odd comparisons about how a game measures next to a previous game? It's not exactly difficult to generate awareness in the current videogame market, and cashing in on "Thief" franchise recognition seems like a false pretense anyway.

Eh, not sure I agree. If you own the IP and plan to revisit the premise of Thief, what difference does it make?

Liamario

Banned
It it was for Wii U it would say so. Time to pack it up and realize that games targeting next gen without a PS3/360 version aren't coming to Wii U same as this gen.

Agreed. If you bought a WiiU expecting fantastic third party support; you'd better sell it now.

Xenon

Does other next gen platforms imply wiiu and xbox 720 or just xbox720?

Just the 720. They have to say "other next gen platform" since the 720 has not officially been announced yet. So they can't call it the "720" or "Durango". There is nothing stopping them from saying the Wii U.

Elginer

MS needs to stop pussy footing and announce their damn next box already. This has to be a pain in the ass for devs by now.

Hindle

Banned
I'm hyped.

They did such a great job with Deus Ex, so I'm sure they will treat the series with the respect it deserves whilst modernising the IP whether needed.

meta4

art style seems meh.. Plot and art style looks to be just like Dishonored and those screenshots do not seem next gen at all.

I'm a LONG time Thief fan, played hundreds of hours of Thief 1 and 2 fan missions. I think it looks great so far. Also, from the video, they say that there are plenty of action games and they hope gamers will enjoy a game that takes patience. That is music to my ears.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

You would have a point if there were substitutes for Thief on the market. There aren't.

Now if Desert Combat or Delta Force tried to make a comeback then I would agree with you.

We need a Thief reboot. And even if it was called a different name, it would still be compared to Thief since its the only other game out there like it.

I was just saying that the game informer article refers to platforms not just one platform. Maybe its ouya.

because "PS4, PC, and other next gen platforms" keeps things open a bit more... and sounds better than "PS4, PC, and that one other unannounced next gen platform" :p

Jawmuncher

images

This is to good.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Next-gen is great news, but I really wonder how much they'll take advantage of that beyond the visuals. I want big-ass levels and a boost in AI. Dishonored puts me to sleep.

Time to correct my mistake and play the Thief games before this :D

Should I avoid Thief 3 or play it just for the famous Cradle level?

It is a weaker effort and I'm not quite sure I'd say it's worth it for the Cradle alone, just because there's so much you have to go through before getting to that part, but I didn't regret it. Its rep is well earned.

ptolemy

I hope the game's full of rainbows and puppies and has nothing resembling the Cradle. Can't afford this game and another pair of pants. "/

Zukuu

Banned
"We want to give the player freedome".

Expect small areas with little to no option folks. :<

I hope this game will be as good as the first games, I remember playing them way way way back and it always felt really intense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
and which could be the other next-gen console they hinted at? they say "consoles" as plural

Well Assassin's Creed 4 also says "other next-gen platforms" and explicitly lists Wii U, PS4, PS3, PC, and Xbox 360.

What do you think they mean?

jmizzal

Well they listed the PlayStation 4 explicitly, so there's no reason to not list the Wii U if it was coming to that.

But there have been a lot of WiiU games announced after the reveal for some reason.

Watch_Dogs, COD Blackops 2, Need For Speed, possible Splinter Cell blacklist, its weird but that doesnt mean this is coming tho.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Plasma

PLASMA!

Cant birth about how un-next gen this looks, then turn around and be gaming on an LCD display.

LCD's have come a long way. And if you are into 3D movies and gaming, Plasmas just are not bright enough for daytime viewing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But there have been a lot of WiiU games announced after the reveal for some reason.

Watch_Dogs, COD Blackops 2, Need For Speed, possible Splinter Cell blacklist, its weird but that doesnt mean this is coming tho.

I feel the timing is kind of relevant here though.

Splinter Cell and Black Ops 2 were announced before the Wii U was formally re-unveiled, and Splinter Cell is still being cagey, which makes me think they were debating whether or not to port it.

Need For Speed was a notably late port.

Watch_Dogs is the main one that sticks out to me, though that game was pretty cagey with platforms in general until recently.

However, what incentive is there for them to not announced Thief for the Wii U if it was coming, given that it's now March 2013 and the system is released?

We definitely have Wii U games being announced in tandem these days with things like Assassin's Creed IV.

Top Bottom