• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones (NO BOOK SPOILERS) - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO (updated rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

It seems to me like their definition of summer is what weather is like year round in a medditeranean climate, meaning it incorporates both dry summer and wet winter. The "winter" that they speak of seems to be something artificial or magical.

JGS

Banned
I get the impression from the show that the further south you are the warmer it gets.

To the side are the moderate areas

Piecake

JGS said:
I get the impression from the show that the further south you are the warmer it gets.

To the side are the moderate areas

this is not really a spoiler, more of a geography spoiler (we never actually go there or any plot/character thing happens there), but
the islands south of Westeros are called the Summer Isles, so I get the impression that those islands are warmer, wetter, and more tropical than the hottest parts of westeros (Dorne seems to be the most hot - its a desert. so yea, it definitely seems like the more south you go, the hotter it gets.

apana

Aselith said:
Sorry to hear your having trouble reading them, man. The only trouble I had when I went through them was putting them down. Every. Single. Time.

I'm very much enjoying this series. When you here TV, you worry that they can't do justice to the books as far as making everything feel legitimately plausible. I definitely don't feel that way here maybe due to the more character focused nature of the books but all of the places feel very real. Definitely doesn't feel like these are people on sets to me which a lot of fantasy TV stuff and even movie stuff feels like to me.

Haven't seen any really bad performances either. All of the actors they got are doing great work with their parts except some of the Dothraki accents feel so fucking retarded to me. That maid that comes in to talk about food with Ser Jorah at the end of ep 3 sounded fucking ridiculous to me.

The Dothraki language was designed by a professor of linguistics from uc berkeley.

apana

TheOddOne said:
Really? Thats effin' awesome.

Yeah he basically created it, it's a real language now I think. HBO is devoting a lot of resources to this show. Really nothing like this has ever been attempted on television.

Casp0r

Banned
apana said:
The Dothraki language was designed by a professor of linguistics from uc berkeley.

They could of just used arabic or something like it. Sounds similar and it would of saved them a lot of money.

_Isaac

Casp0r said:
They could of just used arabic or something like it. Sounds similar and it would of saved them a lot of money.

Then people would be complaining about them not speaking it correctly.

apana

Each episode is already 5-6 million dollars, how much money could it cost them to hire a linguistics professor to design a language? It would be like a part time job for him.

apana said:
Each episode is already 5-6 million dollars, how much money could it cost them to hire a linguistics professor to design a language? It would be like a part time job for him.

Yeah, couldn't cost that much. Someone would probably do it for dirt cheap just to have a language they created be displayed on a TV show across the world.

vazel

Banned
That's considered a spoiler? I'll spoiler tag it just in case then...
shrug.gif

vazel

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
It has a small amount of importance to the plot later in the series, and will probably come up again in later books.
Yea if you know what it means and its significance to certain characters.

Edit: To be clear it was a phrase in one of the books made up languages.

Zabka

If there's something really cool that happens later in the books, keep it to yourself. And none of this teasing bullshit.

Amir0x

Banned
There is a book spoiler thread for a reason. Any book spoiler, no matter how small or seemingly impossible to decipher on its own, should be moved to the other topic.

Ok? Keep it nice in here guys

Darklord

Banned
God, some people are fucking cunts. Some guy on my facebook makes a post saying how much he likes the show, then spoils a major part of it. WOW THANKS. GREAT TO KNOW YOU LIKE IT.

Amir0x

Banned
Darklord said:
God, some people are fucking cunts. Some guy on my facebook makes a post saying how much he likes the show, then spoils a major part of it. WOW THANKS. GREAT TO KNOW YOU LIKE IT.

Some people are cunts indeed. :(

I'm sorry you got whatever it is you got spoiled, spoiled for you...

ezrarh

Darklord said:

Damn, I'm so sorry! Time to defriend him. At least until the show ends.

Zabka

TheOddOne said:
Really? Thats effin' awesome.
Here's a great interview about the creation of the language.

http://jimhenry.conlang.org/conlang/dothraki-interview.html

Just as interesting was the process to determine who would create it. A peer-reviewed blind competition was held by the Language Creation Society.
I think it was clear right off that we didn't want to be like everyone else who'd done this, and just hand the job to someone. We wanted to make sure that everyone in the community had a fair chance at it, and that HBO got top-quality material. Likewise, we didn't want HBO to have to deal with trying to figure out what was linguistically well-done, as it's simply not their area of expertise; it's what they hired us for.

apana

Never go on you tube then. I don't understand why some people think it's fun to spoil a show but then again people tend to show the worst side of themselves in comments sections because they think it's like being inside their own head, none of the other commenters actually exist.

Darklord

Banned
Amir0x said:
Some people are cunts indeed. :(

I'm sorry you got whatever it is you got spoiled, spoiled for you...

Although I don't know the context it seemed like a "snape kills X" level of spoiler. I'll need to make a note to punch him next time I see him.

Darklord said:
Although I don't know the context it seemed like a "snape xxx xxxxxx" level of spoiler. I'll need to make a note to punch him next time I see him.
You know you just....did the same thing just now, right?

Darklord

Banned
trineo_feo said:
You know you just....did the same thing just now, right?

The spoiler I said is on the same level as Darth Vader is Lukes father. When it becomes a meme on the internet it's a bit different to a book that just became a tv show. The movie has been out for 2 years, the book 6.

I guess I'll change it though. :\

Amir0x

Banned
Darklord said:
The spoiler I said is on the same level as Darth Vader is Lukes father. When it becomes a meme on the internet it's a bit different to a book that just became a tv show. The movie has been out for 2 years, the book 6.

I guess I'll change it though. :\

Don't spoil it for others just because it was spoiled for you mang, come on.

There is explicit reason this thread exists.

Hop in the Book Spoiler TV show thread if you want to share your frustration without spoilers.

Darklord

Banned
Amir0x said:
Don't spoil it for others just because it was spoiled for you mang, come on.

There is explicit reason this thread exists.

Hop in the Book Spoiler TV show thread if you want to share your frustration without spoilers.

I didn't post anything about GoT. It was the harry potter spoiler(which I thought everyone knew by now) which he didn't like. I was comparing it to that level of spoiler not what the actual spoiler was.

not to detract from the spoiler issue, but I got some decent GoT swag at work the other day, one of the few benefits of working for a service provider

5700899083_634fab86bd.jpg

5701468874_485d216638.jpg

5700898773_ed9803a9d9.jpg

5701468482_c3bd2400d3.jpg

nothing too special, but the promo book gives a nice diagram of each house, similar to what HBO.com has up now. The shield keychain is pretty cool though.

Amir0x

Banned
Darklord said:
I didn't post anything about GoT. It was the harry potter spoiler(which I thought everyone knew by now) which he didn't like. I was comparing it to that level of spoiler not what the actual spoiler was.

I gotcha. Just be careful, it's hard policing spoilers here >_<

apana

Green Scar said:
Just watched episode 3. Please tell me the sword trainer appears again.

I hope so, you can watch the "water dance" scene on you tube if you want to see it while on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom