• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones (NO BOOK SPOILERS) - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO (updated rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decado said:
Where is Jon's direworlf? Could swear it played a role in book 1...

You could briefly see him in the second episode while Jon and co. were camped on the way to the Wall. His direwolf was somewhat featured in promotional material so I'd expect to see him before long.

Gvaz said:
I didn't see whatever was posted, but I've absolutely heard at least two of the main houses' mottoes already.
It has NOTHING to do with house mottoes. Just... don't worry about it. You'll understand if you keep reading the books.

Gvaz

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
It has NOTHING to do with house mottoes. Just... don't worry about it. You'll understand if you keep reading the books.
Okay.

I know three of them from reading AGOT though, I need to finish ACOK however, I'm not very far.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Darklord said:
God, some people are fucking cunts. Some guy on my facebook makes a post saying how much he likes the show, then spoils a major part of it. WOW THANKS. GREAT TO KNOW YOU LIKE IT.

While that sucks, don't fret too much over it. There is no one major spoiler for the series, so much crazy shit goes down it'd be impossible to spoil everything. I think I have a good idea of what got spoiled for you and trust me, there is so much more than just that.

Be amazed by book, check character page on wiki(asoif) for more history and details, get 10 things spoiled to you instantly, cry.

what happened to me when I started reading :(

X-Frame

I really feel like I'm going to need to read all the books before the next season starts since it seems I am missing a lot of references that they don't explain.

Kreed

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. John Snow, Arya, Daenerys are continuing to step up and grow as characters, which is making the show better IMO. I'm starting to see why Little Finger is popular too and am glad he's getting more screen time.

I was surprised to see how quickly Catelyn was able to rally people against Tyrion with a simple accusation with little to no opposition considering who he is. Next week's preview looked really good too and showed off a lot of action so I'm looking forward to it and the fall out from Catelyn's rash decision.

Retro

Kreed said:
I was surprised to see how quickly Catelyn was able to rally people against Tyrion with a simple accusation with little to no opposition considering who he is. Next week's preview looked really good too and showed off a lot of action so I'm looking forward to it and the fall out from Catelyn's rash decision.

She's the daughter of their liege lord. They're knights basically sworn to come to her father's call in times of need. She has more than a little sway over them, so I didn't find that odd at all. Especially when you look at the guy she's accusing...

I mean, nobody likes the Lannisters (they're the rich snobs of Westeros) and nobody likes the Imp. Though the audience likes him, I think they've made it clear that he's whispered, pointed at and considered a little monster by the common folk.

Anyways, it was nice to see Ghost got some screen time tonight. I was a bit shocked by Sam (the fat kid in Jon's scenes), since for YEARS I've been imagining him in my head as Ramus from Lunar;
LsaWq.jpg

Anyways, all of this episode's scenes were handled well and there were quite a few scenes that did not appear in the books added to clear things up for viewers. The scene with Viserys in the tub and Littlefinger's conversation with Sansa during the tournement were all things pulled from other places in the books. Tyrion and Theon's conversation was new as well and I'm glad to see both characters getting extra development (since Theon has had next to none thus far). The stuff they were discussing is stuff that was casually mentioned in the first few chapters of the book.

So, the point is, they ARE going to lengths to get some of the very bookish first-person-telling stuff worked into the very much third-person presentation of the show.

Which keeps getting better and better, by the way.

TheExodu5

Banned
Darklord said:
God, some people are fucking cunts. Some guy on my facebook makes a post saying how much he likes the show, then spoils a major part of it. WOW THANKS. GREAT TO KNOW YOU LIKE IT.

Every time I tell a buddy at work where I am in the books, he says:

"HAS XXXX HAPPENED YET!?".

No, no it hasn't. Thanks for ruining it for me jack ass.

I just don't talk to him about it anymore.

aceface

Kreed said:

She was smart, she got them to all say how good bannermen they were and how they were so loyal to her father/family and then made the accusation. After professing their loyalty they could hardly do nothing.

Kreed

Retro said:
She's the daughter of their liege lord. They're knights basically sworn to come to her father's call in times of need. She has more than a little sway over them, so I didn't find that odd at all. Especially when you look at the guy she's accusing...

I mean, nobody likes the Lannisters (they're the rich snobs of Westeros) and nobody likes the Imp. Though the audience likes him, I think they've made it clear that he's whispered, pointed at and considered a little monster by the common folk.

aceface said:
She was smart, she got them to all say how good bannermen they were and how they were so loyal to her father/family and then made the accusation. After professing their loyalty they could hardly do nothing.

I understand this but I would think the knights would at least act a "little" afraid of retribution from King Robert and Queen Lannister, even if they just paused for a second before drawing their swords.

TheExodu5 said:
Every time I tell a buddy at work where I am in the books, he says:

"HAS XXXX HAPPENED YET!?".

No, no it hasn't. Thanks for ruining it for me jack ass.

I just don't talk to him about it anymore.
I started BSG when s3 was airing, and I had a coworker who did that exact thing. Learned very quickly to not talk to him much lol

Retro

Kreed said:
I understand this but I would think the knights would at least act a "little" afraid of retribution from King Robert and Queen Lannister, even if they just paused for a second before drawing their swords.

A fair point, but as someone else mentioned, they're knights... kind of honor-bound into the task.

I'm not sure if it's immediately apparent or not, but all of these guys who are loyal to her father are there because Tyrion and Catelyn are bumping into each other at an inn actually IN her father's land. She's not just bumping into a few retainers by chance; she's literally making the claim in her own kingdom where she is practically royalty.

Most of the men in that inn had probably met Catelyn before, so they're not entirely strangers.

One observatuon for now. I enoyed Mark Addy been impatient and wanting the Joust to get going already. He didn't have a Paul Bettany around to hype up the event this time.

Owzers

Dreams-Visions said:
jaw hung slack @ the ending.

That was indeed a great " more, i want more NOW" ending. I'm progressing slowly through the first book ( only at page 70 or so) but i decided to keep watching new episodes anyways since it's such a good show.

I think people complaining about the show moving too fast should realize that there's a LOT that needs to be said and shown before we can really get into the meat and potatoes of the season. The next six episodes should be very awesome considering what we learned this week.

apana

Wow at this episode and holy shit at what next week's episode is gonna be. Really can't ever remember enjoying television this much.

Subitai

Wow. The difference between the 2 threads is night day. lol

Stay in here non-readers. The book spoiler thread is so cranky right now for what I think are the wrong reasons. Keep enjoying and spreading the WoM.

JGS

Banned
Great episode

It seems like the pacing of the show changes each week. Last week, the conversations were perfect but seemed briefer than the ones this episode.

The ones this week seemed to be for instructional purposes and seemed much longer but still quite good.

Littlefinger is officially the creepiest person. I also did not care for the new guy at the Wall yet. He seems way too cowardly but I feel bad for his homelife and hopefully he'll change a bit otherwise he's doomed.

Xadhoom

Neo Member
I really love how the show changes its credits theme to suit the final scene. It's such a small thing, but it really lets the scene linger in your mind.

lljride

I thought it was a good episode, but I really want to watch it again to make sure I caught everything. I watched episode 3 about 2-3 times, and I sort of had the same feeling about ep 3 that I do ep 4 now. I thought it was good but after multiple viewings it went from good to great...hoping I'll feel the same about 4 this time next week.

Can't wait to see where the Cat/Tyrion ending leads.

Can someone give me a detailed explanation of the whole thing with the blonde knight and the blacksmith? I get that he's the King's bastid, but before that, the whole path that led Ned there and the conversation with Ser Carcetti among the spies. Like a serious detailed recap because that whole middle section lost me completely.

Subitai

BenjaminBirdie said:
Can someone give me a detailed explanation of the whole thing with the blonde knight and the blacksmith? I get that he's the King's bastid, but before that, the whole path that led Ned there and the conversation with Ser Carcetti among the spies. Like a serious detailed recap because that whole middle section lost me completely.

Ned is starting to figure out why the previous hand, Jon Aryn (whom Jon Snow was presumably named after) was murdered.

1. He finds out Jon was going through a book of noble lineages.
2. He finds out Jon went to see one of the King's bastard sons.
3. Jon kept saying, "The seed is strong," as he was dying.
4. Jon's last squire was made a knight after his death. Ned wants to know why and if he knew what or how all this is related.

The Knight is dead so of course that's a dead end now.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ned is basically tracing Jon Arryns steps in the days and weeks before his sudden mysterious death (allegedly by illness). Ned discovers Jon was researching a book that documents in detail the lineage of the major families. He also discovers that Jon had been visiting and questioning an armorers apprentice, who after looking at him, he believes to be King Roberts bastard son. The blond knight was Jon Arryns squire (personal servant). After Jons death, he was spontaneously knighted, which is very suspicious. Ned sends Jorry, his captain, to question the blond knight, but the knight won't talk to him because he's a pompous prick. The knight dies in the tourney before Ned has an opportunity to approach him himself. Ned sent Jorry to talk to him after Littlefinger suggests that Ned must be subtle and discrete in his investigation, that Varys and the queen have informants tracking Neds every move.

Pikelet

BenjaminBirdie said:

The blonde knight who got killed in the tournament was the squire of Jon Arryn, the previous hand of the king who died at the beginning of the series. Littlefinger (aka Carcetti) told Ned that Jon Arryn visited the Blacksmith before he died.

Retro

BenjaminBirdie said:

I'm spoiler tagging this just to be safe, but all of the information in the tag has already been revealed in the show. I am just doing it for people who haven't caught the latest episode / courtesy. If this doesn't answer your question, I guess I'll watch the episode again and see if there's anything I am missing.

Ned came to King's Landing to discover why his former mentor and Hand of the King, Jon Aryn, was murdered. He asked the Maester of King's Landing what Jon was doing just before he died, and received two pieces of information. The first was a book Jon had been investigating, containing the descriptions and information of the various noble houses and their births. The second was a phrase Jon Aryn kept repeating on his deathbed; 'The seed is strong'.

Littlefinger, who had promised Ned's Wife that he would help him uncover the mystery, helped Ned connect the dots by suggesting he visit a few places his spies had seen Jon Aryn visit in the weeks before his death. During this scene, he quickly points out that everyone around Ned is a spy, for various factions within King's Landing; those to Varys (the bald Eunuch), Queen Cersei and himself.

On one of these tips from Littlefinger, Ned visits a blacksmith. The young apprentice Ned met at the Smith's is King Robert's bastard son by another woman, which is no real surprise since we hear all about his indiscretions earlier in the episode. The point is that Ned realizes just by looking at the apprentice that he's Robert's son, as they share similar eye and hair colors.

The scene between Ned and Cersei doesn't really say much, except to establish that Ned is loyal to Robert and Cersei is capable of making not-so-veiled threats.

The blond knight that dies during the tournament was Jon Aryn's Squire, promoted to knighthood just after Jon's death (we are lead to believe, under suspicious terms). His death at the hand of Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane (the huge dude) is a little suspicious in itself since he and his brother (The burned guy they call the Hound) are loyal to the Lannisters (the very people Ned believes murdered Jon Aryn).

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
One observatuon for now. I enoyed Mark Addy been impatient and wanting the Joust to get going already. He didn't have a Paul Bettany around to hype up the event this time.
That's where I recognize him from! Thank you. Boy, he got fat(ter).

JGS

Banned
Subitai said:
The Knight is dead so of course that's a dead end now.
I assumed he was made a knight specifically for this joust and to be killed. I'm trusting no one at this point and my paranoia meter has built up to maximum.

However, I was not sure why the tournament took place. I missed a conversation somewhere since I thought it was cancelled. Further, I was not sure who made the arrangements for the knight to enter the joust. I know it wasn't Stark.

Thanks so much guys! Especially for pointing out the "bald" eunuch. I totally thought Carcetti was the eunuch and his "Littlefinger" explanation was a dodge to be courteous to a young lady when in reality it was a reference to that.

JGS said:
I assumed he was made a knight specifically for this joust and to be killed. I'm trusting no one at this point and my paranoia meter has built up to maximum.

However, I was not sure why the tournament took place. I missed a conversation somewhere since I thought it was cancelled. Further, I was not sure who made the arrangements for the knight to enter the joust. I know it wasn't Stark.

The tourney took place as a celebration to honor the new hand (Ned Stark). Basically, the King looks for any excuse to throw an extravagant party. This was discussed in the previous episode when Ned first sits with the Kings council. The council informed Ned of the King's request to stage a tourney in his honor, and Littlefinger reveals that the crown is 6 million in debt, half of which is to the Lannisters. Ned becomes furious at the King's careless spending and shuns the tourney (in fact, he doesn't even show up to his own party).

It's never explained why the knight enters the joust, but in this world, becoming a 'Ser' (or a knight), is a great honor bestowed upon the bravest warriors and the manliest of men. It's their version of being a rockstar, and entering the 'lists' (or the tourney) is a way for you to showcase your fighting skill and gain respect among the high lords. YEs, I believe that the knight was purposefully pitted against the Ser Gregor Clegane, aka, the Mountain that Rides.

This isn't really any kind of spoiler, but I thought they did a bad job of making it clear that people don't usually die in tournaments, and that the jousting is supposed to be non-lethal.

Didn't like that scene, the rest was amazing and great.

Lakitu

st5fu
I just caught up with the first 4 episodes after hearing many good things.

It's pretty incredible. I'm loving it so far.

Ignatz Mouse said:
This isn't really any kind of spoiler, but I thought they did a bad job of making it clear that people don't usually die in tournaments, and that the jousting is supposed to be non-lethal.

Didn't like that scene, the rest was amazing and great.

I thought it was obvious enough when you have the young girls with their septa in front row that this is supposed to be more of a sport

JGS

Banned
MrCompletely said:
The tourney took place as a celebration to honor the new hand (Ned Stark). Basically, the King looks for any excuse to throw an extravagant party. This was discussed in the previous episode when Ned first sits with the Kings council. The council informed Ned of the King's request to stage a tourney in his honor, and Littlefinger reveals that the crown is 6 million in debt, half of which is to the Lannisters. Ned becomes furious at the King's careless spending and shuns the tourney (in fact, he doesn't even show up to his own party).
That's the part that confuses me. Stark said no party in the previous episode, but then he appears to see the good for the city to hold it n this episode.
MrCompletely said:
It's never explained why the knight enters the joust, but in this world, becoming a 'Ser' (or a knight), is a great honor bestowed upon the bravest warriors and the manliest of men. It's their version of being a rockstar, and entering the 'lists' (or the tourney) is a way for you to showcase your fighting skill and gain respect among the high lords. YEs, I believe that the knight was purposefully pitted against the Ser Gregor Clegane, aka, the Mountain that Rides.
This part is very Knight's Tale like so I understand that just not how this young knight was partnered with Ser Gregor so quickly unless the young knight actually challenged him. I'm not sure who staged it is all.

JGS said:
That's the part that confuses me. Stark said no party in the previous episode, but then he appears to see the good for the city to hold it n this episode.

This part is very Knight's Tale like so I understand that just not how this young knight was partnered with Ser Gregor so quickly unless the young knight actually challenged him. I'm not sure who staged it is all.

Ned still doesn't want the tourney, he never did. Robert wants it. Last episode Littlefinger said they had best go ahead and start planning as the king will get what he wants whether the Hand likes it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom