• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones (NO BOOK SPOILERS) - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO (updated rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino4evr

suzu said:
You mean back in Winterfell? Theon Greyjoy. He is the only son and heir of the Greyjoys and was taken hostage and became a ward (squire) for Ned Stark after his family started a rebellion against King Robert. He was basically raised along side the Stark children, so Tyrion is mocking him for having to serve their "enemy".
Lol...ok thanks that makes sense.

rhino4evr said:
Ok...so he's been hired to guard Bran then?
He hasn't been hired at all yet. Tyrion just paid him to take his room at the Inn because there weren't any available rooms. You don't need to worry about this, it's not important, and Bronn's character hasn't really been introduced yet.

So basically the story at the moment is that Ned is looking for proof that the Lanisters killed John Ayre (the former hand of the king)...in doing so he discovered that the blacksmiths son is a bastard of the king.

Who was the guy that was killed in the joust? John Ayre's serf?

The kid killed was Jon Arryn's squire, but he was knighted after Arryn's death. Ned wanted to talk to him to see if he knew anything about Jon Arryn's death, but he was killed in the tournament before he got a chance.

rhino4evr said:
This show is definitely confusing at times. I can imagine a lot of people are going to be lost and loose interest in this show.

So basically the story at the moment is that Ned is looking for proof that the Lanisters killed John Ayre (the former hand of the king)...in doing so he discovered that the blacksmiths son is a bastard of the king.

Those who haven't read the books should really watch the inside episode features on HBO as well as the recaps. it really puts everything together you may have missed.

apana

The targaryen boy really is fucking crazy, bitch slappping his sister and shit. The actor playing him is seizing that role and performing it with a lot of flair.

see5harp

rhino4evr said:

Basically, yes. He was a "suspect" based on his closeness to the Jon Arryn which was somewhat elevated after he refused to comment when questioned. Next we know he's killed by a "Lannister" in what was supposed to be a fun competition which again raises questions. When Ned finds out, this will no doubt confirm that fishy shit is going on.

rhino4evr said:
This show is definitely confusing at times. I can imagine a lot of people are going to be lost and loose interest in this show.

Suzu had it right if you were talking about the guy he threw the coin at in Winterfell. That would be Theon Greyjoy. His father is lord of another part of the Seven Kingdoms who rebelled about 8 years ago and lost. His older sons were killed in the fighting and Ned Stark took Theon (the only remaining son) as his ward and hostage to keep Lord Greyjoy from rebelling again.

If it's the guy at the inn, that would be Bronn who will play a badass role later on.

The guy killed at the joust was Jon Aryn's squire who was made a knight right after Jon Aryn died. Suspicious.

rhino4evr

aronnov reborn said:
Those who haven't read the books should really watch the inside episode features on HBO as well as the recaps. it really puts everything together you may have missed.
Obviously I look to GAF to fill in the blanks...most people aren't going to take the time to find an explanation.

So it seems obvious that the dwarf was framed by his brother and sister. Not sure how this series is with characters..but I really hope he is around for a long time. He's definitely the best character in the show.

I was kinda surprised that the lady stark would arrest him at the pub. She seemed to want to try and avoid him when he walked in. I guess she was nervous for her safety once he recognized her ? I suppose she has the attempted murder weapon and proof it was once his. If she was going to accuse him, why not just report it directly to the king?

apana

Bran seeing the three eyed raven is interesting to me. The third eye often signifies metaphysical or spiritual awarenes.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Suzu had it right if you were talking about the guy he threw the coin at in Winterfell.

Oh, wow I forgot about that. I thought he was talking about the inn scene. Sorry for adding to the confusion then.

rhino4evr said:
Obviously I look to GAF to fill in the blanks...most people aren't going to take the time to find an explanation.

So it seems obvious that the dwarf was framed by his brother and sister. Not sure how this series is with characters..but I really hope he is around for a long time. He's definitely the best character in the show.

I was kinda surprised that the queen would arrest him at the pub. She seemed to want to try and avoid him when he walked in. I guess she was nervous for her safety once he recognized her ? I suppose she has the attempted murder weapon and proof it was once his. If she was going to accuse him, why not just report it directly to the king?

I do the same. I just love those features though.

She didn't really want to have too i think at the time. But once he recognized her, her hand was forced. If they went straight to the king without proof their lives would be serious danger. I think they wanted to investigate further but seeing the person that you have cause to believe tried to murder your son was too much. her emotion got the better of her and called sworn bannerman to her father to arms.

rhino4evr

Basileus777 said:
Oh, wow I forgot about that. I thought he was talking about the inn scene. Sorry for adding to the confusion then.
Definitly makes more sense as he seemed to have more of a family connection...as he is seen earlier talking to Bran

Westonian

rhino4evr said:
Who was the person that the dwarf Lannister threw the coin at? At first I thought it was another of the Stark boys..but the conversation made me realized he actually wasn't. I didn't really understand the point of that conversation.

His name is Theon Greyjoy. He is being boarded at Winterfell by command of Ned Stark. He is the last surviving son of Lord Baylon Greyjoy.

There was a revolt led by the Greyjoy's that wasn't very successful. You hear a little about it when Ned's man (can't recall his name off the top of my head) was trying to deliver a message to the king and talked to Jaime Lannister about fighting alongside him that day.

As last surviving heir, he is basically being held captive at Winterfell to keep his father in check against any future rebellions. But he is not treated poorly, and is almost like a brother to the Stark children.

just rewatched the last episode and for whatever reason Yoren in the inn makes me laugh...

When Catayln says' "in the name of king robert" it cuts to him backing away like he know's shit's about to get real...

rhino4evr

aronnov reborn said:
I do the same. I just love those features though.

She didn't really want to have too i think at the time. But once he recognized her, her hand was forced. If they went straight to the king without proof their lives would be serious danger. I think they wanted to investigate further but seeing the person that you have cause to believe tried to murder your son was too much. her emotion got the better of her and called sworn bannerman to her father to arms.
Yeah...definitely seemed pretty hastey...but then again she had pretty good proof already. I'm not sure why they were looking for more proof. What else could they really find?

I really like the segments at The Wall. So far I think that is one of the better side stories. They keep hyping that winter is coming..so it better come!

Also seems obvious that Dragons will make some sort of comeback even though they are thought to be extinct. I understand that this show is a lot about politics..but I'm looking forward to more super natural stuff. The white walker scene that opened the series was epic...I want more of that!!

Retro said:
The one thing that I would say to all non-book readers (i.e. those quoted above from Facebook) is, if you're not even slightly interested in politics, you're not going to like Game of Thrones.

Yes, there are fantasy elements, with dire wolves and dragons and such. There are fantastical lands, a rich mythology and supernatural elements mentioned throughout.

Yes, there are historical elements, with an eye towards heraldry, family ties and kingdoms.

But what it all comes down to, and this is why the series is being called "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (besides the fact that it's a mouthful); everything is politics. This person and this person are allied to stab this person in the back because that person did xyz to another person 30 years ago and so on and so forth.

When Ned calls King's Landing a viper's nest, that's exactly what it is. The show makes it a point to single out Varys, Littlefinger, and Cersei all spying on everyone and each other, but there's dozens of other interests that aren't even represented (even in the books); everyone is trying to gain favor, gain land, gain titles and see their enemies falter. It literally is everyone playing a massive political game for their own benefit.

If the idea of people talking and scheming is boring, Game of Thrones is not for you.

... sorry for the mini-rant. Seen too many similar comments about the show being boring and pointless talking and a billion pointless characters in a bunch of different, pointless places. Even though the books aren't finished yet, I think it's safe to assume that everything we see, from Jon at the Wall to Arya in King's Landing to Daenarys in the Dothraki Sea have a purpose towards a singular end. All of these character's aren't off doing their own thing just because it's cool to tell a bunch of stories at once.

I didn't read the books, so I didn't know what to expect, but from a macro perspective, this show seems kinda like a much higher-budget, much more-polished, fantasy version of Babylon 5. The whole first season of B5 was a bit of a necessary slog in order to set up all the awesome that comes later.

It's not exact at all though. Four episodes in, this show still seems paced substantially quicker than B5 was. And at least there's titties.

Strange thing about this series is that just four episodes in, my mind has completely changed about who my favorite characters are, and what I think the most interesting stories are, often multiple times. Never thought I'd be so interested in the goings on of Tyrion, Jon , and Arya, but I am. I now expect that to change multiple times too...

rhino4evr

Just Read Sepinwall's recap and he mentioned confusion about Theon Greyjoy as well. Good to know I'm not the only one confused.

Casp0r

Banned
Am I the only one that finds bleach white head hair coupled with black eyebrow hair a little weird on Daenerys Targaryen ...?

I can't remember if it's described that way in the books, but I just find it weird and off putting.

see5harp

Pristine_Condition said:
Strange thing about this series is that just four episodes in, my mind has completely changed about who my favorite characters are, and what I think the most interesting stories are, often multiple times. Never thought I'd be so interested in the goings on of Tyrion, Jon , and Arya, but I am. I now expect that to change multiple times too...

That's what great television does. That was a big part of why The Wire has so many fans. So many characters that you love for being bad (Omar) and hate for being such douchebags (McNutty).

apana

Oh no I found out a major spoiler!!!! Probably not related to this season though, I scrolled down on a you tube page by accident and saw it. I hate some of these people who like to ruin everything.

rhino4evr said:
Yeah...definitely seemed pretty hastey...but then again she had pretty good proof already. I'm not sure why they were looking for more proof. What else could they really find?

I really like the segments at The Wall. So far I think that is one of the better side stories. They keep hyping that winter is coming..so it better come!

Also seems obvious that Dragons will make some sort of comeback even though they are thought to be extinct. I understand that this show is a lot about politics..but I'm looking forward to more super natural stuff. The white walker scene that opened the series was epic...I want more of that!!

Tyrion would just say the dagger was stolen.

apana said:
Oh no I found out a major spoiler!!!! Probably not related to this season though, I scrolled down on a you tube page by accident and saw it. I hate some of these people who like to ruin everything.

when the new book comes out i wont even post on GAF until i've finished just in case. Internet will be disabled!

apana said:
You really should just start reading the books, seriously.

Jenov

I watched 4 episodes of this series last night and I'm now ordering the books off of Amazon. I wish I had found out about this series after it had ended because I can't stand the week to week anticipation for new episodes. I must buy the books and find out now :p

Shirokun

apana said:

Sorry to hear, but don't worry about it too much. There's enough craziness to go around that you likely won't be disappointed. For those who have not been spoiled: DO NOT READ YOUTUBE COMMENTS REGARDING ANYTHING FOR THIS SHOW.

apana

ZephyrFate said:
You really should just start reading the books, seriously.

I will probably start after the season ends. I'm going on a long vacation so that gives me some free time.

Cyan

Banned
aronnov reborn said:
Tyrion would just say the dagger was stolen.
Seems like Tyrion's too smart to send an assassin with a dagger that's so easily traced back to him. What would possibly be the point of using that dagger, anyway? More likely the twins arranged it and had the guy use the dagger so evidence pointed to their brother.

JGS

Banned
The thing I don't get about Tyrion is his need to know what was seen.

I have a hard time believing he doesn't know about his brother and sister. It's also clear that his sister hates him more than his brother. Since she was the one who visited Cat, I'm assuming she's the one that hired the assassin.

Also, it seems like it would be a good time to simply get rid of the king altogether.

rhino4evr

I think Tyrion probably suspects all these things..but is too wise to question such things. He probably feels like his brother and sister would never betray him, and he wouldn't do the same because their blood. But in this case it seems like he is once again being treated like a cripple..

He seems to be the smartest character in the show.

rhino4evr said:
I think Tyrion probably suspects all these things..but is too wise to question such things. He probably feels like his brother and sister would never betray him, and he wouldn't do the same because their blood. But in this case it seems like he is once again being treated like a cripple..

He seems to be the smartest character in the show.

I swear to Christ if those two betray Tyrion I will FIND A WAY TO CLIMB INTO THE FICTIONAL REALITY THEY LIVE IN AND MURDER THEM.

Cyan

Banned
flyover said:
I'd be fine if the whole thing were just the Arya and Tyrion show, but all the storylines have me interested.
Word. The "water dancing" scene at the end of ep 3 was awesome. Hope we get to see more of Arya training.

flyover said:
Yeah, each book is a season.

And I'm with you on wanting to watch all of them at once. I think it'd be even better that way. I wish I had the willpower to wait and marathon the show. But I don't.
Hmm. Dunno about that. I just watched 2 in a row (hence the quoting old posts; I'm going back to see what people said after ep 3), and that was kind of overwhelming. Any more might destroy my brain.

Retro said:
But what it all comes down to, and this is why the series is being called "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire" (besides the fact that it's a mouthful); everything is politics. This person and this person are allied to stab this person in the back because that person did xyz to another person 30 years ago and so on and so forth.
Fucking awesome. Politics is one of the things I loved about B5.

Kuroyume

Banned
Jon is my favorite character so far. I love how he's such a good person despite being treated like shit sometimes. Dude has a cool looking wolf too. Would like to see him turn into the ultimate bad ass.

JGS

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I swear to Christ if those two betray Tyrion I will FIND A WAY TO CLIMB INTO THE FICTIONAL REALITY THEY LIVE IN AND MURDER THEM.
I don't think they betrayed him. The dagger was an original and no one would have known if not for it belonging to Littlefinger.

At the same time, his sister would betray him if given the opportunity or reason. Tyrion and his brother were talking in episode 2 and it made me think Tyrion knows what they did since Jaimie(?) asked whose side he was on and Tyrion answered he loves nothing more than his familiy- all in relation to what happened to the boy.

I can't figure out why he would want to actually obligate himself to either lie or confess his family's wrongs by learning the truth.

Just watched it (UK). Tyrion's easily being set up. That ending with all the Stark loyalists pointing swords at him was great though.

Why on Earth did Littlefinger tell girly Stark (forget her name, the ginger girl) about the Hound? I was wondering why his face was so fucked but I don't see why the girl needed to know.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to enjoy the Dothraki plot a lot more now that Daenerys is in charge and is teaching her brother what for on a regular basis. I wonder why the whore is so interested in dragons... beyond the reasons she gave, of course.

Cyan

Banned
JGS said:
I don't think they betrayed him. The dagger was an original and no one would have known if not for it belonging to Littlefinger.
But... why? I mean, I just don't see it. "All right dude, go kill this 10-year-old boy. But make sure to use this super special one-of-a-kind dagger for the job, ok?"

I mean, I could maybe see him ordering the assassination to help his family, but why the dagger?

I can't figure out why he would want to actually obligate himself to either lie or confess his family's wrongs by learning the truth.
Pretty sure he already knows the truth. The "do you remember anything?" was more to find out if he needs to worry about Bran talking or not.

They just showed latest episode in the UK
It was great :)

I noticed there is a few guys from UK soaps in there lol, like the bastard son of the king was in a UK soap a few years back, and the naked lady in the tub talking about dragons is too

Cyan

Banned
Oh, also wanted to note that blondie taking on her khaleesi role and standing up to her asshat brother is pretty awesome. Him getting choked was almost as good as prince dipshit getting slapped by Tyrion.

ycgw9.jpg

BlazingDarkness said:
They just showed latest episode in the UK
It was great :)

I noticed there is a few guys from UK soaps in there lol, like the bastard son of the king was in a UK soap a few years back, and the naked lady in the tub talking about dragons is too

Father Jack being in it was the biggest shock to me.

Great episode, right now I'm really interested in seeing who'll be the first character to turn given the cast are more or less black and white at the moment.

Cyan said:
Oh, also wanted to note that blondie taking on her khaleesi role and standing up to her asshat brother is pretty awesome. Him getting choked was almost as good as prince dipshit getting slapped by Tyrion.

oksyh.gif

Spirit of Jazz said:
Great episode, right now I'm really interested in seeing who'll be the first character to turn given the cast are more or less black and white at the moment.

You think so? I don't know, there's a few characters with shades of grey. Jaime Lannister could go either way- he's incredibly smug and his liasons with the Queen point towards deviance, but he still seems like a mostly honest soldier. I don't completely trust Littlefinger, although that is part of his role, being the man with all the secrets, and Daenerys may be over-riding her obviously evil brother, but we have no idea what she plans to do with the Dothraki in the end. Not to mention her weird bodyguard/acquaintance fellow who hangs out with her all the time.

But yeah, I do wonder when/if we'll see characters turn.

Kettch

Green Scar said:
Why on Earth did Littlefinger tell girly Stark (forget her name, the ginger girl) about the Hound? I was wondering why his face was so fucked but I don't see why the girl needed to know.

He's just playing with her, freaking her out with a story. Did you notice his smile as he finished and moved away?

Retro

Casp0r said:
Am I the only one that finds bleach white head hair coupled with black eyebrow hair a little weird on Daenerys Targaryen ...?

I can't remember if it's described that way in the books, but I just find it weird and off putting.

Both Daenerys and Viserys are described as having white hair, eyebrows and purple eyes... they had to cut the eye coloring out because both actors had reactions to the contacts. Dany is described as having Lavender eyes while Viserys' are supposed to be darker.

And since we're on the subject, Tamzin Merchant (Queen Cathrine Howard from the Tudors) was originally supposed to play Daenerys before Emilia Clarke... I'm not sure if she would have been better, honestly, but... just throwing it out there.

apana said:

I've read all of the books, PM me what you read and I can tell you if it's BS or at least control the damage.

Prost said:
I watched 4 episodes of this series last night and I'm now ordering the books off of Amazon. I wish I had found out about this series after it had ended because I can't stand the week to week anticipation for new episodes. I must buy the books and find out now :p

Not to burst your bubble, but there are only 4 books done, with a fifth coming out this summer. This was part of a planned 7 volume series, but the author decided to split Book 4 into two parts, so now it's an 8-part series.

... and this is the guy who writes it...

NecUg.jpg

And apparently he writes it exclusively on a computer older than most NeoGAF members and keeps it on 3.5" floppy discs. So... erm... I dunno how to break this to you guys, but he may kick the lobster bucket before he finishes things.

Good news though, he has told the producers of the HBO series how the saga ends, so in the event of his death at least they can wrap up the story.

JGS said:
I have a hard time believing he doesn't know about his brother and sister.

I'm fairly certain they've given Tyrion lines that suggest he is more than well aware of their relationship, or at least strongly suggests. Right after he slaps Joffery around and heads to breakfast (what a fucking awesome morning, by the way), he's way too cavalier to not know something is up between them.

I may have to re-watch the episodes... that's the downside of knowing what's going to happen, you forget what hasn't taken place.

Green Scar said:
Daenerys may be over-riding her obviously evil brother, but we have no idea what she plans to do with the Dothraki in the end.

To be fair, Viserys watched his entire family die when he was a child and has spent his entire life on the run, fleeing the assassins of his family's murderer. He's not evil, he's disturbed and powerless over everyone but his sister (who he obviously takes his aggression out on).

That's the other thing about A Song of Ice and Fire; nobody in this series is evil, everyone has reason and motivation that goes beyond the typical fantasy "I want to conquer the world" villains. There's only one character I can think of as being truly and utterly vile and evil, and Littlefinger introduced him as such in the last episode.

Kettch said:
He's just playing with her, freaking her out with a story. Did you notice his smile as he finished and moved away?

Eh, I don't understand why a Stark family friend would do something creepy like that to a Stark daughter. I noticed his smile, he smiles a lot though :p It was like a weird little thing that caught my attention, for some reason.

Retro said:
To be fair, Viserys watched his entire family die when he was a child and has spent his entire life on the run, fleeing the assassins of his family's murderer. He's not evil, he's disturbed and powerless over everyone but his sister (who he obviously takes his aggression out on).

Fair enough. He's definitely come across as a spoilt arsehole pretty much all the time he's been on screen, I don't think I've seen him do something remotely kind thus far. I didn't pick up on the childhood stuff (I should go back and re-watch episode 1), and that explains a lot about his character, so fair doos.

I don't agree that Littlefinger is evil per se, he just seems like the type of character who has criss-crossed so much he's lost all sense of friend and foe.

JGS

Banned
Cyan said:
But... why? I mean, I just don't see it. "All right dude, go kill this 10-year-old boy. But make sure to use this super special one-of-a-kind dagger for the job, ok?"

I mean, I could maybe see him ordering the assassination to help his family, but why the dagger?
I'm thinking the dagger was the assassin's to keep since it was very valuable. He could have kept it or sold it after the murder since no one was supposed to know he was there. Basically it was a part of the payment.
Cyan said:
Pretty sure he already knows the truth. The "do you remember anything?" was more to find out if he needs to worry about Bran talking or not.
I guess I'm thinking that if he digs into it more, he has to do something with the knowledge whether it's protecting the boy, his own family, or actually exposing the Lannisters.

He does not seem to be the type that let's sleeping dogs lie.

see5harp

Spirit of Jazz said:

For the most part, yes...but there is still a lot of room for Littlefinger and Tyrion to move around. Both are in the middle of factions and seem to be characters that act only in their own best interests. Characters like Mormont are also seen as good initially but when you learn of their past you question yourself. I think they've done a good job at keeping many questions unanswered.

thy_

Green Scar said:
Perhaps he wanted to give her a slight reminder, that not only do not all princes have to be charming, but that not all knights are necessarily valiant.

She does tend to those slightly romantic conceptions.

Or he is just a creep, who enjoys her squirming.

Retro said:
Not to burst your bubble, but there are only 4 books done, with a fifth coming out this summer. This was part of a planned 7 volume series, but the author decided to split Book 4 into two parts, so now it's an 8-part series.
Slight correction, it was planned as two trilogies but has now been extended to seven books.

Whenever Littlefinger talks to Sansa (like in this episode for example) I get a feeling he's either a pedophile or waiting for her to grow a bit older so he can get on that hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom