• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones (NO BOOK SPOILERS) - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO (updated rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Nolimit_SS said:
Whenever Littlefinger talks to Sansa (like in this episode for example) I get a feeling he's either a pedophile or waiting for her to grow a bit older so he can get on that hmm

Dude it was totally acceptable to wed a 14 year old back then. Don't hate the player, hate the Game............of Thrones.

Nolimit_SS said:
Whenever Littlefinger talks to Sansa (like in this episode for example) I get a feeling he's either a pedophile or waiting for her to grow a bit older so he can get on that hmm

Lots of medieval relationships would be looked upon as paedophilia nowadays. Just a thought, he could definitely be trying it.

...Although he consists of pure anti-game if that is his plan. "maybe if i tell her about that ugly dude's gnarly burns, she'll suck my dick? littlefinger, you're a genius!"

JGS

Banned
I think Littlefinger is a creepy good guy but only because he still wants Cat.

This means that he has no problem messing with the Starks as a whole since he lost her to two of them.

He also sees the obvious infatuation Sansa has with the Prince and wants her to face reality regarding who she is involved with.

I know he probably isn't a pedo but he sure looks at her a special way. I think he sees Catelyn in her and wants her for himself, since he can't have real Cat. We'll see I guess

Not sure if it was mentioned in show but think he said she reminds him of Cat a lot.

see5harp said:
For the most part, yes...but there is still a lot of room for Littlefinger and Tyrion to move around. Both are in the middle of factions and seem to be characters that act only in their own best interests. Characters like Mormont are also seen as good initially but when you learn of their past you question yourself. I think they've done a good job at keeping many questions unanswered.

I did forget to mention Tyrion, he's the character whose motivation and loyalties most unclear to me. I feel that the only way Littlefinger could be more suspect would be if he twirled his moustache in all of his scenes. I'd be genuinely surprised if he doesn't pull something utterly devious that's only in his best interest at some point. Mormont's an interesting character, I just feel he's too isolated right now to do anything at the moment.

I'm just looking forward to next display of pushing a child out of a window after having sex with your sister calibre evil from a character you don't expect it from. Joff's "I'll gut you, you cunt!" was good, but it was always obvious that he was a dick.

Nizz

Excellent ending last night. Loved the build up with Lady Stark acknowledging the different houses just before she asks them to take Tyrion as a prisoner. He seems to be involved in some way with the attempts on Bran's life. But other times he seems sincere without some sort of motive, like bringing Bran the schematics for that saddle.

Of course he could be doing that just to cover his ass and appear to be "good". I think the actors cast to play Joffrey and Valerys are perfectly cast because I really can't stand either of their characters, :)

IAmtheFMan said:
I just have to say that I like this thread better then the other one. Too much bitching in that thread.
Probably because we're not comparing the show to the books. ;) People who have read the books probably had a different vision in their heads for stuff described in the books or the books are paced different from the show. How much the show may be veering from the source material. Understandable since what works for the book may not work for tv. Having never read the books I definitely prefer this thread.

see5harp said:
That's what great television does. That was a big part of why The Wire has so many fans. So many characters that you love for being bad (Omar) and hate for being such douchebags (McNutty).

I loved The Wire too, so you nailed it with that comparison for me.

see5harp

Pristine_Condition said:
I loved The Wire too, so you nailed it with that comparison for me.

You could probably say the same about Deadwood. The dumbest and most crass characters in that show were the most memorable while the "good" like Seth Bullock usually came across as supreme asshats.

KingGondo

Banned
HK-47 said:
There are a half dozen characters that vehemently disagree.
Yeah, gotta agree with you there. GRRM likes his shades of gray, but there are definite paragons and villains to be found.

It's kinda like the real world in that way.

JGS

Banned
Green Scar said:
Littlefinger is one of those characters who seems way too sinister/untrustworthy to actually be as such.
I don't believe that he is either. I'm trying to think of creepy good guys and the only one that comes to mind is the robot in Aliens.

I'm sure we'll see Littlefinger ripped in half figuratively while trying to protect the Starks to keep the analogy going. I simply can't imagine him betraying the Starks knowing his closeness to Cat. However, I suppose he could be vengeful too but it does not come across that way for me.

purple cobra said:
Excellent ending last night. Loved the build up with Lady Stark acknowledging the different houses just before she asks them to take Tyrion as a prisoner. He seems to be involved in some way with the attempts on Bran's life. But other times he seems sincere without some sort of motive, like bringing Bran the schematics for that saddle.

I don't think Tyrion has anything to do with the attackers. His an easy target to be setup by his incestuous brother and sister. He'll put together the pieces that his kin are behind it and he's a fall guy for them.

Nizz

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
I don't think Tyrion has anything to do with the attackers. His an easy target to be setup by his incestuous brother and sister. He'll put together the pieces that his kin are behind it and he's a fall guy for them.
I'm kind of hoping this is true. :) I like the character of Tyrion. Peter Dinklage is doing a great job on the show. Maybe it will work out that he's a pawn to his sister and brother, who knows?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Green Scar said:
Why on Earth did Littlefinger tell girly Stark (forget her name, the ginger girl) about the Hound? I was wondering why his face was so fucked but I don't see why the girl needed to know.

He wasn't telling Sansa, he was telling the viewing audience at home. I won't go into book details other then to say that how that information is conveyed in the books is far different then what they did there. It was pretty awkward in the show.

UrbanRats

Sinatar said:
He wasn't telling Sansa, he was telling the viewing audience at home. I won't go into book details other then to say that how that information is conveyed in the books is far different then what they did there. It was pretty awkward in the show.
After that scene, my brother asked: "why is he trolling the girl?".
That's what it seemed to me, too, but it might have been the "Carcetti face" alone, to have that effect.

Also, i wonder how fast we're going, cause we are just in episode 4 and already every key character, knows that the Lannisters are pieces of shit, responsible for Bran's injury and allegedly Arryn's death.
I mean, it's already over? Again, i haven't read the books, so i don't know what's coming, but i thought this was a major plot point and they seem to have burned it out already, in 4 episodes?
Granted there's all the Dothraki conflict, but still.
It's not a complaint, mind you, just a concern.

JGS

Banned
UrbanRats said:
That's what it seemed to me, too, but it might have been the "Carcetti face" alone, to have that effect.
I think it accomplished it's WTF purpose and given his entire demeanor, no one can figure out what he's about.

UrbanRats said:
Also, i wonder how fast we're going, cause we are just in episode 4 and already every key character, knows that the Lannisters are pieces of shit, responsible for Bran's injury and allegedly Arryn's death.
I mean, it's already over? Again, i haven't read the books, so i don't know what's coming, but i thought this was a major plot point and they seem to have burned it out already, in 4 episodes?
There's way too many people alive (Assuming here. Haven't read the book). I imagine there will be all kinds of twists and turns. I don't think we've met everyone on HBO's website yet.

Nolimit_SS said:

Game of Thrones lives by one rule... if she's old enough to bleed then she's fair game.

Phoenix

Rorschach said:
Just saw ep 4 and said "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN" at the ending.

Enjoying this so far. Triple H's best role to date.

I just saw this episode as well and as much as I loved the show before, it owns me now. The acting is just so well done as is the tempo of the script and the score that accompanies it. Definitely buying this baby on BRD when it becomes available.

_Isaac

Rorschach said:
Just saw ep 4 and said "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN" at the ending.

Enjoying this so far. Triple H's best role to date.

Really?
tRtcwl.jpg
t5Mvi.jpg

Rorschach

[edit] ^It's time to pay the Gaaaaaaaame~! ... of Thrones!

GodfatherX said:
lol what?
Only TLC and Trinity come close. Don't tell me you're a Chaperone guy...

methodman said:
Lol. Stick with it Rors, shit is about to go down soon
eq23r.png

Can't wait.

I've been meaning to check out the books, but never got around to it. I'll probably end up picking them up and reading them soon.

aceface

Shirokun said:
Sorry to hear, but don't worry about it too much. There's enough craziness to go around that you likely won't be disappointed. For those who have not been spoiled: DO NOT READ YOUTUBE COMMENTS REGARDING ANYTHING FOR THIS SHOW.

People like to post crazy shit to be douches, what you read might not actually be true.

I'm reading Feast For Crows now. WTF happened to Martin? The first couple of books were amazing... I decided to p/u where I left off but this book is bloody awful. Repetitive, boring, and just crap...

Micromegas said:
I'm reading Feast For Crows now. WTF happened to Martin? The first couple of books were amazing... I decided to p/u where I left off but this book is bloody awful. Repetitive, boring, and just crap...
So much concentrated wrong in a single post...

Aselith

Kettch said:
He's just playing with her, freaking her out with a story. Did you notice his smile as he finished and moved away?

I'd also like to add that he is a dude that LOVES LOVES LOVES to know shit that you don't know. Notice how he always wants to tell characters about secrets or about what other people are doing etc like the Ned Stark scene out in the garden.

I'd say it fits his character to want to tell someone about a secret past happening.

UrbanRats said:

Don't worry about it. Believe me the series is right where it should be at this point.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
UrbanRats said:

Haha, oh man. This is going to be my favorite thread on GAF. Reading the reactions from people who haven't read the books has been really satisfying so far, but I can't wait until we get later into the season. I am giddy with anticipation.

apana

Retro said:
Not to burst your bubble, but there are only 4 books done, with a fifth coming out this summer. This was part of a planned 7 volume series, but the author decided to split Book 4 into two parts, so now it's an 8-part series.

... and this is the guy who writes it...

NecUg.jpg

And apparently he writes it exclusively on a computer older than most NeoGAF members and keeps it on 3.5" floppy discs. So... erm... I dunno how to break this to you guys, but he may kick the lobster bucket before he finishes things.

Good news though, he has told the producers of the HBO series how the saga ends, so in the event of his death at least they can wrap up the story.

I thought it was still a seven part series? Anyways I know how it ends already, Arya is the true owner of the elder sword. Turns out the sword chose her as its one true master after she disarmed Syrio, who had accidentally taken it from the Sea Lord of Braavos.

UrbanRats

Don't worry about it. Believe me the series is right where it should be at this point.
Glad to hear they haven't fucked it up or anything.
Also, i don't usually dig Fantasy, but i'm really loving this series (even because it's kinda tame on the fantasy elements, which make the "unreal" stuff stand out more and more interesting, unlike, say, LotR).

Aselith

UrbanRats said:
Glad to hear they haven't fucked it up or anything.
Also, i don't usually dig Fantasy, but i'm really loving this series (even because it's kinda tame on the fantasy elements, which make the "unreal" stuff stand out more and more interesting, unlike, say, LotR).

That's one of the major reasons I like it as well! I really prefer the King Arthur/ Once and Future King style fantasy and that is unfortunately a pretty minority branch of the genre mostly due to the popularity of LOTR's and high fantasy stuff.

Cyan

Banned
apana said:
I thought it was still a seven part series? Anyways I know how it ends already, Arya is the true owner of the elder sword. Turns out the sword chose her as its one true master after she disarmed Syrio, who had accidentally taken it from the Sea Lord of Braavos.
But have you read the leaked epilogue? I'm not totally convinced Arya would actually name her son Joffrey Drogo McWolfsbane Targaryen, but what can you do.

Amir0x

Banned
UrbanR said:

hehehehhe

oh to be innocent and ignorant again of what is to come :(

Lakitu

st5fu
I haven't read the books either, I definitely will do after the series (for fear of spoiling it). I've no idea what is to come, and I like it. I like the multiple story arcs throughout. So good.

UrbanRats

Amir0x said:
hehehehhe

oh to be innocent and ignorant again of what is to come :(
Yep, enjoying every second of my ignorance. ;)
Though having to wait a week everytime, make me want to go check for spoilers, it's hard to resist.

Spire said:
Haha, oh man. This is going to be my favorite thread on GAF. Reading the reactions from people who haven't read the books has been really satisfying so far, but I can't wait until we get later into the season. I am giddy with anticipation.

I'm in the same boat with this thread and my friends who have gotten into the show. I love gauging people's reactions week in and week out. Can't effing wait for the next few episodes to air.

Chuckie

UrbanRats said:
Yep, enjoying every second of my ignorance. ;)
Though having to wait a week everytime, make me want to go check for spoilers, it's hard to resist.

We're enjoying your ignorance too ;)

And I mean that in a good way. It is really great to see all the speculations in this thread, some close, most way off... I can't wait to see the reactions from non-readers to coming events.

I love this thread so much more then the other one with all the bitching about characters being to tall/small/fat/thin/hairy/bald compared to their book-counterparts :p

- Ratings up again:
EW.com said:
'Game of Thrones' ratings rise again this week
by James Hibberd

HBO’s Game of Thrones inched upward in the ratings for the second week in a row.

The 9 p.m. airing was seen by 2.5 million viewers, up just slightly from last week. This is yet another good sign for the fantasy series, climbing in the numbers despite the show’s story pace lessening a bit the previous week. The action kicks into high gear starting on Sunday’s fifth episode, which could result in the show gaining even more traction in the weeks to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom