• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu: Sony to hold Playstation Experience event in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

I miss the old school teasers who would put really obscure hints in their posts that only the most eagle eyed people would notice and that would largely go unmarked by anyone in a topic. Then when the news was announced, they'd quote their old post and it'd make it so obviously now what they were hinting at and everyone would go "haha oh damn that shit was like right out in the open and nobody noticed."

They don't make teasers like they used to. Hide in plain sight my friends >:)

Those are fun. It wasn't too long ago that DemoNite made a morpheus reference right before the reveal of project morpheus. Loved it after the fact.

Hoje0308

Banned
There's already been games with Hindu Gods in it before and that were violent, like Asura's Wrath and Smite.

And Hindu Gods can be deliciously violent and rich in lore. Lots of wars in that mythology. It'd have nuts visualization, there's some absolutely bonkers concepts in Hindu mythology.

I think they'd get away with it in most countries, actually, other than ones that were predominately Hindu in faith.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that no faith deserves any more special respect than any other subject, so I might be underestimating a reaction. There were a few minor articles about Asura's Wrath depiction of Hindu Gods, so who knows if a high profile series like God of War did it...

Off topic, but...
GIF--Approve-Approval-Like-Likes-Awesome-Nice-one-Good-one-wink-thumbs-up-Matt-LeBlanc-GIF.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I want that one too but not $600 want.

$600? Gaht dang. Is it just super limited or does it come with some cool shit? 'Cause $600... yeah... no lol

Those are fun. It wasn't too long ago that DemoNite made a morpheus reference right before the reveal of project morpheus. Loved it after the fact.

A few posters still occasionally do if you know who to look at, but there was one post from one of the Sony insiders that literally had huge news impregnated into his post and like nobody at all noticed it. Then when the news came out he just quoted the old post and everyone was like 'holy shit you just outright said that, it was so obvious in the open, nobody realized it.' It was pretty entertaining.

Wish I could remember which post it was, because I got a lot of joy out of it. To me those are the best types of hints. Way before Beyond Good and Evil 2 was announced (and now disappeared forever whhhyyy T_T) I was inserting hints about it in a lot of my posts but like only one person noticed.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
PS2 classics from the PSN store are going to be directly put onto the PS4 and they'll keep their input lag from being on the PS3. Fightsticks will not be supported and all hope will be lost.

Astarte pls

You're going to need a ps4 for that which you don't have...

Btw mom says you need to go buy milk.

Personally can't wait for Ratchet and Clank remake... Let preteen memories commence...

phoenix-emo.gif

Amir0x

Banned
oh yeaah... we're overdue to see the Ratchet and Clank remake, right? The movie is like mid 2015 or something and it's supposed to be tied into the movie (it's a remake of the first game but with story elements modified to be more in sync with the film), so I wonder if we might catch a glimpse of that at PSX. If they already said so forgive me, I missed it

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
oh yeaah... we're overdue to see the Ratchet and Clank remake, right? The movie is like mid 2015 or something and it's supposed to be tied into the movie (it's a remake of the first game but with story elements modified to be more in sync with the film), so I wonder if we might catch a glimpse of that at PSX. If they already said so forgive me, I missed it

Remake as in full blown?

Remake as in full blown?
Yep.

I think the common sentiment is that the sort of perfunctory announcement and subsequent radio silence signaled that Insomniac was waiting until Sunset Overdrive felt all of its oats before really doing a proper unveil.

The timing is definitely right for next month, at least.

Amir0x

Banned
Remake as in full blown?

Yes, it's full blown as far as I am aware. The description on the site pretty much confirms it:

In 2015, we have the rare (actually, for us, unprecedented) opportunity to expand Ratchet’s universe simultaneously in two forms. We’ll continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank feature film. And we’re excited to announce that we’re also developing a game that shares the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story. As featured in Sony’s press conference, the game re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank, with updated gameplay and completely new visuals built from the ground up for the PlayStation 4.

So new visuals built from the ground up for PS4, new origin story that shares films vision and new gameplay. There's also new levels, although it doesn't say that in description.

Unless the above is BS, it's far more substantial than the remasters and shit we've been seeing. This is a real remake.

ChawlieTheFair

Yes, PS4 spec.

Yep.

I think the common sentiment is that the sort of perfunctory announcement and subsequent radio silence signaled that Insomniac was waiting until Sunset Overdrive felt all of its oats before really doing a proper unveil.

The timing is definitely right for next month, at least.

Nah that ain't gonna work out, cause they've been working on Resistance 4. So yeah maybe R&C next time guys.

Terra Battle has been at 1.1-1.2 million downloads for weeks now. It won't hit 2 million anytime soon. Regardless of that, console versions would most likely be ports a la what Wonderflick was supposed to be (lol) The gooch shouldn't need to be too hands on with that besides business side of things.

As far as megaton announcements that would get almost everyone really excited, sony doesn't really have much IP capable of doing that. I went down the list of things and I keep coming back to chrono.

IP that are universally or almost universally considered huge for the industry that justify the kind of hype we are getting:

Nintendo property (obviously not happening)
Halo (see above)
Half Life - possible and would definitely justify the hype and cause meltdowns, but extremely unlikely because Half Life 3, TLG, Agent, and FFXV will all come out the same day :p
GTA/Rockstar-also possible but AFAIK GTA5 has substantial DLC planned and GTA5 was announced after all of GTA4s DLC was out
Fallout4, probable but I would think this is too expensive for sony to pay for exclusivity. Plus GG is already making a western RPG with shooting...
Metal Gear: Kojima is too busy making clothes to make a sony exclusive
FF and DQ, with Kagari's post that there might be non xbox FFs could mean either tactics (probably wouldn't get the hype b/c the last two entries were handheld games that didn't do as well) something new, which is possible but i don't know how that would get the people teasing excited unless they knew some staff that made it exciting. DQ9 was a handheld game and 10 never came here so i don't see DQ11 being announced already or this anticipated

Other possible announcements that IMO do not warrant the kind of hype/teasing we are getting, from so many DIFFERENT people:

SFV, sf is known for being available EVERYWHERE IT CAN BE, see iOS SF4 and n-gage SF. Also Fighting games are fighting games... heck, even most of the FGC wouldn't meltdown over this. Even I wouldn't and SF is my fav fighting game series, by far!
DMC, the last entry had mixed reception and the franchise is largely overshadowed by Platinum action games now
Dragons dogma is too niche
Resident Evil has been on a downward trajectory since 4, so getting excited for another one seems unlikely...

Crash is awesome, but not many people would go nuts for a 3d mascot platformer
TLG is constantly said to still be in development, so it wouldn't be THAT surprising to finally see it
Level 5 already said their game is an E3 thing,

OFC if it is a new ip: (MOST LIKELY SCENARIO despite the OLD IP hint) I think it'd be a spiritual successor/sequel to Chrono like chrono cross. Big name game developers that would get this kind of hype are mostly either finishing projects (mikami) or already committed to projects.

Except sakaguchi :) as the beginning of my post said, he would be able to make a big console RPG right about now. Mobile games are not as demanding as full console projects. I could see him doing a new ip which would justify the hype.

Chrono makes sense to me. It fits the hype, It fits the predicted meltdowns, and it fits the square console game the most.

Amir0x

Banned
I would just say I would die and go to heaven if SquareEnix announced a new Final Fantasy Tactics game that wasn't based off the miserable GBA/DS games and followed the style/gameplay/themes of FFT on PS1 (or the PSP version, more accurately.)

Perma death plz, and not just in JAGDS

viveks86

Yes, it's full blown as far as I am aware. The description on the site pretty much confirms it:

So new visuals built from the ground up for PS4, new origin story that shares films vision and new gameplay. There's also new levels, although it doesn't say that in description.

Unless the above is BS, it's far more substantial than the remasters and shit we've been seeing. This is a real remake.

I really hope this franchise bounces back. So much potential! We've already lost so many mascots! :'(

There's already been games with Hindu Gods in it before and that were violent, like Asura's Wrath and Smite.

And Hindu Gods can be deliciously violent and rich in lore. Lots of wars in that mythology. It'd have nuts visualization, there's some absolutely bonkers concepts in Hindu mythology.

I think they'd get away with it in most countries, actually, other than ones that were predominately Hindu in faith.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that no faith deserves any more special respect than any other subject, so I might be underestimating a reaction. There were a few minor articles about Asura's Wrath depiction of Hindu Gods, so who knows if a high profile series like God of War did it...

some people don't like to mix fantasy into fantasy role-playing
it is harder to keep what you believe sacred when it keeps being recreated in works of fiction

not many around will protest Greek or Norse Gods

but common sense would tell you that you can't eat a juicy steak in India for a reason that is not going to change anytime soon Hindu is one step closer to the big 3 religions that gaming has not really explored deeply

imagine that big Hollywood Moses movie with a God of War tie in lol

I'm ok with this.

Franchise/games without longevity/legs will suffer declined sales with a late port.

PvZ : GW did terrible on PS4 vs XB1, in consideration of the install base difference. After a certain point, people don't care as much anymore if there's new hotness available.

StuBurns

Banned
Franchise/games without longevity/legs will suffer declined sales with a late port.

PvZ : GW did terrible on PS4 vs XB1, in consideration of the install base difference. After a certain point, people don't care as much anymore if there's new hotness available.
It all depends how good the game is. You can't get launch blindness if it's been out six months. If it's great, I think it'll find a market.

Amir0x

Banned

I always wonder we could get a real in-depth data analysis about this phenomenon.

It'd have to go something like this

Take whatever the value is of the marketing/timed exclusive deal you have with a company for a game (in this case, PvZ:GW). Tally its sales on the exclusive platform of choice. Then, when it finally releases 6 months down the line, how diminished are the sales relative to the way it would have sold if it came out day and date? Is the amount of sales lost worth more than the amount they gained through the marketing deal?

Rise of Tomb Raider, which I pray to all the deities every day will be a franchise derailed due to that deal (not because I hate XBO, but because I hate TR2013), is the next big test for that sort of thing. Will the sales be suppressed when it arrives on PS4 to such an extent that whatever MS paid will not have been worth it? I mean, what is the highest possible value for such a deal (including any potential financial support they provide for the games development to make it "the best it can be", lol)? If say a PS4 version would have hypothetically sold 500k if it came out day and date but it ends up selling 200k when it comes out 6 months later, was the deal worth it? Did the extra marketing support and highlight focus increase TR sales to such a degree that it could sufficiently make up for enough of the lost sales to make it still worth it even factoring in lost PS4 sales?

Wish we could get a data break down for timed exclusives across the board from last gen and now to get a clearer picture.

I would totally be down for Ratchet if they completely retool the combat.

R&C games had a time and place but since moving to HD they felt behind the times.

Also returning to 60fps but who am I kidding that wont happen.

ChawlieTheFair

And that other coop one, people thought that was shit didn't they?

IDK, I don't think a new R&C is gonna do anything unless it's actually radically different. People are over action platformers in that vein.

ViciousDS

Banned
I just wish old ip would mean legend of dragoon 2 lol. It was planned to have a second one, but never got things really going for it. I think it was even written if i remember.

I would die of a heart attack and never get to experience it if they announced an lod2b lol

Pennywise

Some small bit's regarding the GameAwards and the PS Experience.

Game Awards will have Tim Schafer there and Casey Hudson (former Bioware director on Kotor,ME) who will reveal something.
Nomura will also attend in some form, might be just attending and be part of the PS Experience or maybe will have something for the GameAwards, who knows.

Keighley was pretty specific regarding the PS Experience, which will basically preview the whole event.

Pretty interested what Nomura is gonna do D:

viveks86

Actually, I think reboot applies more. I think they were asking if it's a "shot for shot" remake (for lack of better term) or a reimagining, which is what it is.

Reboots generally have a reimagined storyline. Remakes stick to the source content, but adapt it to contemporary technology and tastes. I thought this game is doing the latter. Oddworld new n tasty is a good example of a remake. Tomb raider is a good example of a reboot

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Game Awards will have Tim Schafer there and Casey Hudson (former Bioware director on Kotor,ME) who will reveal something.
Nomura will also attend in some form, might be just attending and be part of the PS Experience or maybe will have something for the GameAwards, who knows.

Keighley was pretty specific regarding the PS Experience, which will basically preview the whole event.

Where did you see this?

Reboots generally have a reimagined storyline. Remakes stick to the source content, but adapt it to contemporary technology and tastes. I thought this game is doing the latter. Oddworld new n tasty is a good example of a remake. Tomb raider is a good example of a reboot

Nah, the origin story has been reimagined pretty intensely if the movie it's based off of's trailer is anything to go by.

I would actually say it's in some weird limbo between reboot and remake, thinking about it.

Tagg9

What is your source on this? I haven't heard about Casey Hudson or Nomura.

Pennywise

Amir0x

Banned
I hope they show more about Shadow of the beast. We have only seen a little teaser.

this would be nice. They clearly revealed that shit waaay too early

Although I'm not particularly confident in Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs game development prowess :p

Puzziball and Bullion Blitz... yeaaah...

viveks86

Nah, the origin story has been reimagined pretty intensely if the movie it's based off of's trailer is anything to go by.

I would actually say it's in some weird limbo between reboot and remake, thinking about it.

I see. I actually haven't played the first ratchet and clank (up your arsenal was my first) so you are clearly the better judge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom