• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. ios. Universal. Worldwide release. $10. Out today!

OMG Aero

Hi all, I just saved between chapters (when prompted) and quit. When I restart the game, it puts me back halfway through the chapter I just completed - anyone gave an idea why I've lost so much progress???

Did you see the "Tap to resume" screen when you restarted it? If so try selecting quit from the menu and select continue from the main menu.
This happened to me once before where the auto-save that is in place for if you close the app and need to resume it got behind when I actually saved, but once I actually selected continue from the main menu it brought me back to where I saved.

I just finished the original DS version

What exact problem did some people have with the final sequences? Game was amazing throughout. Ending made me want to crawl into a ball of emotion, like most Shu Takumi games seem to.

Crub

Really sad they're using a blurry filter for the graphics on units with Retina display. Would have looked so much better if they simply scaled the graphics.

Found a graphics glitch in Chapter 7, after the first Fate Change - a foreground sprite doesn't get rendered completely. Wonder if this happens in the DS version?

Presenting as a link for those who haven't gotten that far and don't wanna see yet.

http://i.imgur.com/yQlQQ.jpg

That didn't happen to me in either the DS version or this version. I wonder what caused it.

It has to be after the first Fate Change.
The outline is from when after the crash, the goons are hiding under the table. When you don't trigger the fate change, they obscure that portion of the trunk when they hide. If you trigger the first fate change but NOT the second, the goons have relocated to the other table and are hiding there instead.

Out of sheer curiosity - can someone screenshot what the journal looks like on iPhone? It's one of the few places where the game actually seems optimized for iPad and I'm wondering how they did the interface on smaller screens.

I am chapter 8, but someone may have spoiled the game for me. This might be a spoiler so please do not read unless you have finished the game:

Are you a cat? And is the other ghost a dog?

OMG Aero

Out of sheer curiosity - can someone screenshot what the journal looks like on iPhone? It's one of the few places where the game actually seems optimized for iPad and I'm wondering how they did the interface on smaller screens.

Here you go:
bWQPK.png

And while I'm posting screenshots, I guess Sissel gets a new ghost power in this version that wasn't in the DS version:
NGCu8.png

He has the ability to go on Twitter whenever he wants despite being dead.

I am chapter 8, but someone may have spoiled the game for me.

I hope whoever spoiled it for you has life insurance. Not going to confirm nor deny what he said for your sake though.

Here you go:

And while I'm posting screenshots, I guess Sissel gets a new ghost power in this version that wasn't in the DS version:

Thanks, looks like it's exactly the same. Was thinking it would be too small to read but guess not!

And yeah, I had a laugh at the placement of the Twitter button. Obviously I want to post on Twitter instead of rewinding time. Sissel obviously has his priorities straight.

Emitan

What does the Twitter functionality do? I haven't used it because I don't want to accidentally send out spoilers or something.

What does the Twitter functionality do? I haven't used it because I don't want to accidentally send out spoilers or something.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect. You can write a message to post on your Twitter account. If you use it in-game, it pre-fills the text entry box with some nonsensical notation that's supposed to indicate your position in the game.

Since the game doesn't target iOS 5 it uses a third party library for its Twitter functions, the credits for which take up 1/4 of the Help section (Matt Gemmell, wherever you are, we hardly knew ye). It also requires you to enter your Twitter username and password on first use each time you start the app.

I hope whoever spoiled it for you has life insurance. Not going to confirm nor deny what he said for your sake though.

It was an off handed comment, but I cannot tell if they were messing with me. It just seems too unlikely and would ruin how I have been feeling about the story if true.

Valtox

Does anyone actually have save sync working? I don't want to play about with it too much just in case I lose my progress

I came here just to see if anybody had this issue.
I installed the game on iPhone and iPad but they don't sync, tried every option many times

Riposte

NGCu8.png

hahaha, that's amusing to me. Almost tasteless in terms of being a blatant addition, but funny.

Emitan

I am going to inaugurate my iPhone 4 with this!

Btw how does it run on iOS5 on the iPhone 4?

Fine. Haven't noticed any issues on my phone besides it being a bit laggy when you resume it for a few seconds and the volume bugs out if you get a notification while playing.

Fine. Haven't noticed any issues on my phone besides it being a bit laggy when you resume it for a few seconds and the volume bugs out if you get a notification while playing.

What's annoying is, the lagginess is for the most part programmed in. The game has no trouble rendering at 60+ fps for certain sequences, yet most animations in the game are capped to around 15-20.

However, I have noticed that, on occasion, the game starts stuttering seemingly without explanation after it's been running for a long time. Force closing it then restarting it seems to make it run normally again if this happens.

Emitan

The lagginess I'm talking about is when you resume it after multitasking the game stutters until the "Welcome back" message from Gamecenter appears.

Ah... on an iPad 2 there isn't really much of an issue if I multitask (note I don't use the multitasking gestures since they don't play nice with jubeat) - I get presented with a "tap here to return to the game" screen and everything's normal from there on out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The lagginess I'm talking about is when you resume it after multitasking the game stutters until the "Welcome back" message from Gamecenter appears.

Unfortunately this seems to affect pretty much all iOS games with GC support (iPhone 4 here), so much that I actually have to take the stuttering in consideration when I resume action games like Super Crate Box.

rbanke

What happens with the IAP if i buy it on my iPhone, then later redownload on my wife's iPhone? The apple IAP faq says that some in-app purchases are redownloadable and some aren't, but I didn't see a way to determine which are and which are not redownloadable.

burgerdog

What's up with the saving system? I beat chapter 1 and loading the auto save took me back to the mid point the chapter. I don't understand how the save system works. Do I have to reach a checkpoint before I stop playing in order to avoid replaying an entire section again?

Ridley327

What's up with the saving system? I beat chapter 1 and loading the auto save took me back to the mid point the chapter. I don't understand how the save system works. Do I have to reach a checkpoint before I stop playing in order to avoid replaying an entire section again?

As near as anyone can tell, the autosave is kinda busted. Just skip the prompt and press Continue instead.

burgerdog

As near as anyone can tell, the autosave is kinda busted. Just skip the prompt and press Continue instead.

Is it safe to stop playing whenever I feel like it and resume from that exact spot when I decide to jump back in? I only saw the save option at the end of the chapter, it would be great if I can save anytime.

Ridley327

Is it safe to stop playing whenever I feel like it and resume from that exact spot when I decide to jump back in? I only saw the save option at the end of the chapter, it would be great if I can save anytime.

You can save at any time by clicking the book icon in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Was slowly going through this game an episode a night, absolutely amazing ending. I feel bad for waiting so long to play it now.

Everybody buy this.

nyong

Banned
This might just be the best game I've played this generation. Mind-blowingly good stuff. Anyone who's holding out, just download the first few chapters FREE OF CHARGE and try it out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think his reply was specifically to Bailey's dance, not the game itself.

Which is still insane, but still.

What happens with the IAP if i buy it on my iPhone, then later redownload on my wife's iPhone? The apple IAP faq says that some in-app purchases are redownloadable and some aren't, but I didn't see a way to determine which are and which are not redownloadable.

restore purchase on iap page

Recently beat this game on DS - BUY IT. It just kept getting better and better. Hands down one of my favorite games, right alongside the PW games.

Amir0x

Banned
You guys made this seem awesome, when it was overall nothing special or interesting. Sad :(

Now people are going to call you out as being somehow 'abnormal', even though Ghost Trick is absolutely a problematic title...

Are you insane?

...Bingo.

Ghost Trick looks amazing animation wise and soundtrack wise, but has a typically atrocious, plot-hole ridden japanese wacky storyline that uses extremely poor rationalizations for various significant character decisions and plot "twists" that appeals to a very specific subset of gamers, and the gameplay is just in dire need of rework. A series of ever increasingly illogical guess me puzzles in which you can rarely figure out the solution by logical means, as half the time it's impossible to truly guess the way something will react to one of your interactions, and so you sit there experimenting, failing, and then tediously replaying segments you already replayed ten times before until you fit your circle into the square hole and eventually get the exact sequence the game wants you to have.

People will say something like you lack a soul, that you somehow don't understand joy or some shit. But the reality is it's a really rough package. I love puzzles and point and click adventure games, but in these titles writing is paramount since it's so central. Ghost Trick has terrible writing (
the reason whats-his-face was able to be convicted of the crime and continued to blame himself was the most bs, illogical garbage I've ever seen - no human being would react that way
), and limp dicked salutes to the loyalty of dogs cannot mask that fact. And the puzzles are like a recall to the very worst days of point and clicks, when half the time puzzles made no sense at all and it all came down to just going down your inventory and clicking every tool in order and in combination until you magically unlocked the proper goal. In this game, that goal is just the world's most ghostly Rube Goldberg machine, only without the fun of building it yourself.

Top Bottom