• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. ios. Universal. Worldwide release. $10. Out today!

Yuripaw

Banned
Ugh, I wish Capcom would show android some friggin love. I am tired of iOS being the only handheld phone getting games I would actually buy.

Emitan

Edited that Missile pic. Didn't think it was a spoiler because
the game's freaking intro movie tells you everyone you interact with is dead

I'd actually suggest anyone who is already sold on the game and is playing for the first time NOT watch that intro movie. It didn't exist in the original DS version and gives way more information about the game than I would have liked to have seen before my first playthrough.

LiK

I'd actually suggest anyone who is already sold on the game and is playing for the first time NOT watch that intro movie. It didn't exist in the original DS version and gives way more information about the game than I would have liked to have seen before my first playthrough.
yea, pretty spoilerific

I'm pretty disappointed at how the game looks on the iPad. Everything, especially the 3D, is awfully low-res.

I've already played it on the DS, so I probably won't wind up paying again for a version that doesn't actually look any better.

I'm pretty disappointed at how the game looks on the iPad. Everything, especially the 3D, is awfully low-res.

I've already played it on the DS, so I probably won't wind up paying again for a version that doesn't actually look any better.

But it definitely looks a lot better. It's not completely up to the iPad's screen resolution but it's still much more detailed than on the DS.

As I've said, the iPhone/iPod is probably the optimal platform for this port. The iPad mode seems to be more of an afterthought.

To be fair the ds version was pretty low res as well.

But healthy purchase decisions ? Wrong forum bub!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't think the intro is too spoilerish aside from showing
Tengo going to Kamila's apartment

Edited that Missile pic. Didn't think it was a spoiler because
the game's freaking intro movie tells you everyone you interact with is dead
I didn't see that in the intro, doesn't it only say
Lynne dies many times
? Anyway, better safe than sorry, this is the kind of game where the less you know about what's coming next, the more enjoyment you get out of it. :p

heringer

10-20 hours depending on how good you are with the puzzles.
That's a lot more than what I was expecting. Nice.
But it definitely looks a lot better. It's not completely up to the iPad's screen resolution but it's still much more detailed than on the DS.

As I've said, the iPhone/iPod is probably the optimal platform for this port. The iPad mode seems to be more of an afterthought.

Yep. Tried on my iPhone and it looks great. One of the very few times I go iPhone instead of iPad for gaming.

Guys, please take any ending discussion (even spoiler-tagged) to the |OT|, okay?

Ugh, I wish Capcom would show android some friggin love. I am tired of iOS being the only handheld phone getting games I would actually buy.

Get yourself an iPod Touch or just deal with it. Don't do this in here.

Emitan

From what I hear Android just isn't as good for developers as iOS is. It's been this way for years and you really just have to deal with the reality of the situation. I love Android, much more than iOS but I have an iPhone now because it's where all the good apps are. As a fellow Android lover, it sucks. But complaining won't change anything.

Oh my, I love this Cabanela dude

Yuripaw

Banned
Get yourself an iPod Touch or just deal with it. Don't do this in here.

I don't have any love or loyalty to android, but when I'm stuck with it, it's all I can do is bitch. I got this stupid phone because it was what was there, no one at the damn verizon store told me that in literally 2 weeks, that they were gonna start having iphones available when I bought this stupid android phone, and I'm stuck with it for another year til I can get a discounted upgrade.

Boney

Banned
Just played the first 20 minutes (or up until the part where you save the red head) and it looks like Ill be purchasing this later today.

I hope we see more DS games ported to iOS...I know Phoenix Wright is coming (I skipped those ont he DS as well) but I would love to see some Profesor Layton games on iOS, not sure how likely that is though.

Well you're in luck

kinda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysznO8Bf5M&feature=player_embedded

ACESmkII

Just completed the first chapter. The animation is godly and the story seems pretty good so far. I'm kinda sad I didn't pick this up on the DS when it was first released.

b3b0p

$10 for this game is a steal. Why does the price suddenly have to decrease because it's on iOS?

I think I picked up mine shipped & sold by Amazon for this price.

$10 in app purchase to finish the game... Does anyone else think this is kind of a little shady? I hate this in app purchase stuff. It seems like an easy way to milk my monies!

Emitan

I think I picked up mine shipped & sold by Amazon for this price.

$10 in app purchase to finish the game... Does anyone else think this is kind of a little shady? I hate this in app purchase stuff. It seems like an easy way to milk my monies!

Huh? It's a demo and you buy the full game inside. It's the same as every single XBLA game.

Firebrand

Just completed the first chapter. The animation is godly and the story seems pretty good so far. I'm kinda sad I didn't pick this up on the DS when it was first released.

Be happy you have an excellent mystery game ahead of you, I always feel a little sad when I've finished a GT/AA game. I wish I could wipe my memory and play them again. Or, *gasp*, maybe Crapcom could localize some new ones.

Also, this goes without saying perhaps, but for the love of god make sure you play with the sound on as the soundtrack is excellent.

ACESmkII

Be happy you have an excellent mystery game ahead of you, I always feel a little sad when I've finished a GT/AA game. I wish I could wipe my memory and play them again. Or, *gasp*, maybe Crapcom could localize some new ones.

Also, this goes without saying perhaps, but for the love of god make sure you play with the sound on as the soundtrack is excellent.

Yeah, I've been playing with headphones and the music that i've heard is pretty excellent.

is anything lost from not having a dual screen? How did the DS use it?

Almost everything that was on the top screen is now on the right, rotated 90 degrees. The only thing missing from the arrangement is that the top screen would also show you a picture of the object currently being possessed rather than just telling you its name.

Not missing are the long stretches where it shows nothing but the game's logo.

LiK

Almost everything that was on the top screen is now on the right, rotated 90 degrees. The only thing missing from the arrangement is that the top screen would also show you a picture of the object currently being possessed rather than just telling you its name.

Not missing are the long stretches where it shows nothing but the game's logo.
I wish I can get rid of that logo bar on the right.

suikodan

So Cloud Saving DOES work for this game? It's not indicated anywhere so how can you make sure that your game is synched between the two devices?

Icarus

I missed this on DS but it looks fantastic on my iPad 2. Definitely going to spread the word to a couple co-workers I think will like this.

Well, looks like I'll give this a try. I missed on the DS version since I waited for the 3DS to come out. If I like this version I'll buy the rest of the chapters, if not, I'll get it for my 3DS since I need more games to play on it.

Evlar

Banned
F that. they should have the screen centered...lol

It has useful information on it.

EDIT: I mean, I agree it looks kind of weird, but the info about a) what exactly the item you're currently possessing is, and b) what (if any) "trick" you can do with it, is pretty useful. That information had been on the top screen of the DS; it has to be moved somewhere for the iOS version, and I think it's better to put it off in the excess screen area to the side rather than as an overlay right on top of the gameworld.

What a funny coincidence. I just finished playing the DS version and was wondering where the iOS version had ended up. Though from the iPad video I find it odd how the polygons still have jaggles but its good the vector art style works well at lots of resolutions.

epmode

What a funny coincidence. I just finished playing the DS version and was wondering where the iOS version had ended up. Though from the iPad video I find it odd how the polygons still have jaggles but its good the vector art style works well at lots of resolutions.
They're sprites, not polygons. It would have been nice if the sprites were all vectored but it's too late for that now.

Top Bottom