• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. ios. Universal. Worldwide release. $10. Out today!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Don't have an iDevice, but I'm stoked more people will get to play this.

chickdigger802 said:
I'd love to see this rotoscope style for future AA titles.
It's not rotoscoped, it's just really good animation.

Wildesy

Awesome news, it's an ideal platform for the game. Hopefully it sells well and encourages more fully fledged games to be ported over. I'd love to play 999 again for example.

Cya later $10*.

*any performance issues on 3GS? FFT has left me a little cautious.

Was the original Japanese version in HD? If not, then this makes me think that the reason we never got the original is because they were waiting to release this instead.

And that in turn makes me think we'll be seeing international releases of the Phoenix Wright HD games. :)

Was the original Japanese version in HD? If not, then this makes me think that the reason we never got the original is because they were waiting to release this instead.

And that in turn makes me think we'll be seeing international releases of the Phoenix Wright HD games. :)

Those games will come. When is the question. Rendering objection in higher res takes a while.

LiK

I want to believe it was rotoscoped just so I know that someone out there can do Cabanela's dance.
I mentioned in the Ghost Trick OT that that dance looks like it was from an old Hong Kong movie. wouldn't be surprised if it was cuz it was a huge movie in Asia in the 80's.

I bought the DS version of Ghost Trick a while back, but I still haven't played it. It's even in it's shrink-wrap. I might as well sell it now. I'll probably be able to get enough for it to cover this, and a bit extra.

IrishNinja

any of you guys double-dipping on this that never played your DS version (or are done with it): sell that copy to me for $10, and break even here! PM me if it's in good shape, i'm down.

I'm so excited for this to finally come out to the US! I bought it brand new for my 3DS but never really played it and ended up trading it, along with my 3DS, early last year. I heard that it was coming to the iOS platform so I figured I could wait until it came out. Never thought it would take this long :/ but it's finally here!... well, around 11pm EST but today is finally the day! :D

Tucah

you speak so well
I played a bit of a friend's copy of the DS version but it never really grabbed me. I'm willing to give it another shot for $10 though.

hatchx

Banned
As soon as I put a dent into my 3DS ambassador catelog I'm dipping into missed DS gem such as these.

This game looks and sounds amazing, I'm surprised I held off this long.

Question for the enthusiastic:

Phantom Detective VS 999.

Which to sink into first?

Wildesy

As soon as I put a dent into my 3DS ambassador catelog I'm dipping into missed DS gem such as these.

This game looks and sounds amazing, I'm surprised I held off this long.

Can't go wrong with either. I personally enjoyed 999 more, but that's just me.

GT is more gameplay orientated whereas you need to be down for some reading if you are committing to 999.
999 is absurdly gripping though.

The Boat

iOS games selling for $1, claim app store ruining game industry

Port of excellent game priced at a low $10, complain about price

That's... exactly the point of the people who say that $1 games ruin the industry. Too many $1 games make $10 price tags seem expensive and games that deserve to be sold at that price or higher suffer because of it.

Anyway, never got to play the full game, lack of time, so I might get it. Maybe not now, because -you guessed it- there'll be a deal eventually, but mostly because I don't have time to play it right now. I'll still get the DS version for collection purposes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I'd say Ghost Trick, but only because it's... I don't know, "slimmer". It's more accessible and gameplay-oriented, whereas 999 is more text-heavy.

But definitely check 999 out too. Both are great games.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I'm at the jail section of this game, I'm guessing maybe around halfway through, and I don't get the appeal of it quite yet. The setting/characters are quirky and charming, but the gameplay itself has been very lacking and very easy. Other than the first few "puzzles" it has been nothing but moving around a few things to get to a phone and listen to some dialogue. I hope the game gets more meaty in the latter half since I see the potential of a game like this, but I haven't seen it really shine except that scene in the apartment in the beginning.

So I'm at the jail section of this game, I'm guessing maybe around halfway through, and I don't get the appeal of it quite yet. The setting/characters are quirky and charming, but the gameplay itself has been very lacking and very easy. Other than the first few "puzzles" it has been nothing but moving around a few things to get to a phone and listen to some dialogue. I hope the game gets more meaty in the latter half since I see the potential of a game like this, but I haven't seen it really shine except that scene in the apartment in the beginning.

You're pretty close to where things really kick into high gear. Don't give up!

Really looking forward to playing this. Will definitely be picking it up asap. I was even sort of looking at picking up a DS/3DS for this. Here's to hoping that the trend of portable games getting ported to iOS continues (so long as the controls make sense).

Ramune

JUST bought this last month, but have yet to open it (along with 999 & Solatorobo). Glad it's getting one more chance at exposure!

For that price everyone should get this game. It has a very fresh formula but there are a lot of things to nitpick about it. However at that price it would be worth all the money.
Even if I didn't enjoy the ending it was still a great experience and Shu Takumis writing style and characters are always memorable.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd like to hear some iOS vs DS impressions. I don't remember, did the game do anything cool with the 2 screens?

Not really. The top screen would display a picture and the name of what you're currently possessing, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Top Bottom