• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. ios. Universal. Worldwide release. $10. Out today!

Since it's IAP, I guess I'll DL it to see how it runs on my phone. Sigh. I have a strong feeling I'm just gonna end up paying the $10 when all's said and done. *Wistfully glances at DS with Ghost Trick loaded

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just to be clear, it's a one time IAP for the rest of the game and no other hidden costs, right?

Vire

How's the port job?

I know Capcom is notorious for some sloppy stuff.

If GAF gives the thumbs up, I'll give it a go. I remember liking what I saw in a Giant Bomb quick look ages ago.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How's the port job?

I know Capcom is notorious for some sloppy stuff.

If GAF gives the thumbs up, I'll give it a go. I remember liking what I saw in a Giant Bomb quick look ages ago.

Well, first 2 chapters are free...why not try it yourself?

TheExodu5

Banned
Does Ghost Trick control better than Phoenix Wright? Phoenix Wright's investigation "examine" tool didn't work very well on the iPhone.

Vire

Well, first 2 chapters are free...why not try it yourself?

Ah excellent!

Downloading as we speak.

I've been looking for a fun portable game.

I'll post some impressions shortly, however I never played the original so I don't know how it compares.

Ridley327

Does Ghost Trick control better than Phoenix Wright? Phoenix Wright's investigation "examine" tool didn't work very well on the iPhone.

I'd be pretty surprised if it controlled poorly. The main method of input is basically connect the dots, which would be really hard to screw up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uhh...Capcom did some weird IAP unlocking options...

T7sUF.jpg

Vire

Can I continue my save after completing the first two chapters and then unlocking the game?

I disagree. Japanese companies need to learn how to price their iOS ports like everyone else.

You don't have time to play a game like this in between all your scheduled coupon-clipping and driving around town to tip badly at restaurants.

Uhh...Capcom did some weird IAP unlocking options...

I knew that with all the good stuff about this port there had to be another shoe to drop somewhere!

TheExodu5

Banned
Serious talk: I already have the DS version and a DSi XL, but also own an iPhone 4. Should I play it on the iPhone?

Hopefully the port isn't glitchy like Phoenix Wright.

Suairyu

Banned
nah. it would arguably look worse unless they update it again for retina ipad devices.

ipad game on a retina ipad would be like a non retina game on an iphone 4.

Blurry mess.
My "would look better on retina display" would assume they change a single variable in their code to enable even higher resolution, yes.

Serious talk: I already have the DS version and a DSi XL, but also own an iPhone 4. Should I play it on the iPhone?

XL's are sexy. play it on your ds.

My "would look better on retina display" would assume they change a single variable in their code to enable even higher resolution, yes.

That would... work if higher res assets exist. A lot of art in this game is sprite based, which is quite a bit more tricky.

see5harp

Try it out. I can't see how a free download that takes a few minutes hurts. It's probably easier than grabbing the game off the shelf and turning the DS on.

I kind of doubt the port is seriously worth spending an extra $10 if you already own it, but if you hate playing on the DS for some reason or don't ever have it with you or whatever you definitely might as well get it on iOS.

epmode

I'm playing on an iPod Touch 4 and immediately noticed that the framerate for scrolling around the screen is a lot worse than on a DS. Is this improved on an iPhone 4S/iPad 2?

edit: character animation is the same as before but everything else is at a lower framerate.

Played through chapter one again (previously completed the game on DS). So far, it's pretty much exactly what I expected. It bugs me a little that there's a global framerate cap a little lower than the original's - really noticeable in your soul's animation in ghost mode and the "trick time" toast - but this does nothing to lessen the game's awesome character animation, thankfully. I'm playing on an iPad 2.

As for the game's achievements, I'm 11% through "A Curious Soul" and 4% through "Jumping Poltergeist". Probably the number of thought bubbles and objects possessed? And of course there are hidden achievements for completing each chapter.

Suairyu

Banned
Played through chapter one again (previously completed the game on DS). So far, it's pretty much exactly what I expected. It bugs me a little that there's a global framerate cap a little lower than the original's - really noticeable in your soul's animation in ghost mode and the "trick time" toast - but this does nothing to lessen the game's awesome character animation, thankfully. I'm playing on an iPad 2.
Woah wait what elaborate this is potentially a deal breaker if I actually had an iPad.

I'm playing on an iPod Touch 4 and immediately noticed that the framerate for scrolling around the screen is a lot worse than on a DS. Is this improved on an iPhone 4S/iPad 2?

edit: character animation is the same as before but everything else is at a lower framerate.

Hmmm... I only booted it up to check out the game's intro to see how it looked on my phone without scanlines. Playing on the 4, if there's a generally lower framerate then that's a dealbreaker for me. Guess I'll just stick with the DS version then.

Woah wait what elaborate this is potentially a deal breaker if I actually had an iPad.

The entire game has a framerate cap at around the same as the framerate of the character animations, so around 10-15 fps. Not a dealbreaker but definitely makes the game feel a little less polished than the original.

Also, the game seems to take longer to give you control after a "time is passing" prompt, but that could be a chapter 1 quirk...

Flunkie

Banned
I don't want to start because I don't want to be locked into one of the other.

GAME COMPANIES: USE FUCKING iCLOUD

I don't want to start because I don't want to be locked into one of the other.

GAME COMPANIES: USE FUCKING iCLOUD

There's a cloud button in the options. Not sure how it works as I only own one iDevice.

There's also a Twitter button but it actually makes you log in to Twitter directly rather than using iOS 5's built-in Twitter stuff.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uhh, there is iCloud support in Ghost Trick. I'm confused regarding iCloud though and I feel stupid. Which option do I choose to backup my iPhone save to the cloud? "Sync iCloud backup data" or "Sync this device"? Both options give me a warning that my save my overwrite itself.

Top Bottom