• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. ios. Universal. Worldwide release. $10. Out today!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like you choose "Sync iCloud Backup Data" first. Don't blame me if I screw up your save though.

Vyer

So I'm pretty much coming into this game blind. Didn't know anything about it.

This is kinda awesome so far.

So first timers. Are yall enjoying this? I kinda worry that only insane people that enjoy the quirkness of Ace Attorney games enjoy this stuff (and those and this game didn't sell too hot on ds or ios T_T).

Meier

$10 for this game is a steal. Why does the price suddenly have to decrease because it's on iOS?

Because the market has de-valued games on iOS. I'll patiently wait for a sale personally. Hopefully microtransaction prices can be modified otherwise I suppose I'll never play it.

LiK

The entire game has a framerate cap at around the same as the framerate of the character animations, so around 10-15 fps. Not a dealbreaker but definitely makes the game feel a little less polished than the original.

Also, the game seems to take longer to give you control after a "time is passing" prompt, but that could be a chapter 1 quirk...

I'm in Chapter 2 and the 'Time Passing' thing goes by super quick. Might be slower in Chaper 1 to get noobs to notice it. I don't see any real performance issues that detract from the gameplay.

Zeth

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I noticed in the settings app, under ghost trick, you can change the speed to slow, normal, or fast. Anyone know how it works? Is fast playable for a first playthrough?

LiK

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I noticed in the settings app, under ghost trick, you can change the speed to slow, normal, or fast. Anyone know how it works? Is fast playable for a first playthrough?

Just do default settings for first playthrough.

Meier

IT'S ONLY 10 DOLLARS.

A $10 iOS game is the equivalent of a $300 console game in comparison with average market prices. Even being generous, it's at least 2.5 times the high end cost (i.e. Kairosoft games). Would you pay $150 for a console title even if it was really good? I wouldn't.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Because the market has de-valued games on iOS. I'll patiently wait for a sale personally. Hopefully microtransaction prices can be modified otherwise I suppose I'll never play it.

Shantae had a price drop and that was when it had the IAP unlock.

Anyway, I'm looking at the $10 price vs the DS price since this port is pretty well done. In that case, pretty cheap

Edit: Hmm, that's some kind of half-assed comparison imo. But whatever floats your boat

Pretty sure speed is just text speed, unless there was difficulty settings in this game (never noticed that on ds o_O).

Emitan

A $10 iOS game is the equivalent of a $300 console game in comparison with average market prices. Even being generous, it's at least 2.5 times the high end cost (i.e. Kairosoft games). Would you pay $150 for a console title even if it was really good? I wouldn't.

Huh? It's $10. Not $300.

Vyer

lol. That's some interesting reasoning.

*looks around at collector edition boxes*

yes I would. What do you mean 'even if'?

who buys games based off average market prices?

LiK

I was thinking time limit speed, but I have no idea. I didnt even know such an option exists

Not time limit. No need to mess with it. Changing text speed ruins the dialogue inflections and you can quickly skip through them by tapping again.

i9ycw.gif

Meier

lol. That's some interesting reasoning.

It's pretty sound. $1/$2 price is standard on iOS. $60 is standard on console. $40 (which is nuts) is the new standard for handhelds. A $10 iOS game is faaaaar above the standard price so I'll wait until it comes closer to my acceptable price point.

People flipped their shit over a the $50 pricetag for some Vita games. That is of course completely insane on Sony's behalf but it's nowhere near as big of a price differential as Ghost Trick versus 99.99999% of other iOS games.

Ridley327

Hmmm, going by this gameplay video, the framerate seems somewhat unstable even on the iPad 2. How comparable is this performance to the DS game?

So far, the sprite animation frames are identical, but it's definitely running at about half the framerate for everything else. The DS version was 60 fps for scrolling and the flame effects.

That said, the increase in resolution makes up for it; I didn't even know they detailed the eyes that much until now and the portraits are immaculate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Framerate definitely seems smoother on the DS version. Kind of a shame...like when the close up art appears on screen, it doesn't slide in and out smoothly on iPhone version.

Also, comparing the first scene on both versions, the DS version has a scanline effect that the iOS version doesn't have

Not time limit. No need to mess with it. Changing text speed ruins the dialogue inflections and you can quickly skip through them by tapping again.

No, no, the option is for when you are auto-advancing the text by holding your finger in the screen. The speed setting is how long the game will pause before pulling up the next line. I have no trouble reading everything on the fastest setting as the actual speed the text itself is rendered is not affected.

Ridley327

Framerate definitely seems smoother on the DS version. Kind of a shame...like when the close up art appears on screen, it doesn't slide in and out smoothly on iPhone version.

Also, comparing the first scene on both versions, the DS version has a scanline effect that the iOS version doesn't have

They're definitely using higher res video for the rewind and phone tracing transitions, which I imagine takes up a good chunk of the 338 MB. I'm sure the same care was taken for the videos from near the end of the game.

LiK

Yup, no scan lines makes the game look way better. Characters aren't as smooth as I hoped but the levels look way crisper.

Meier

So a $30 game being sold at $10 is overpricing it?

It stopped being a $30 game when it changed platforms to one where software doesn't sell at that price. The market has set iOS games at a price of $1-$2 after developers set that expectation.

This is like Sam Goody trying to sell CDs at $17.99 or Borders selling a BRD for $39.99 (the respective MSRPs) when they are half that elsewhere. A select few are willing, but most are not. You have to sell at or close to the market's price if you want to be successful.

Vyer

It's pretty sound. $1/$2 price is standard on iOS. $60 is standard on console. $40 (which is nuts) is the new standard for handhelds. A $10 iOS game is faaaaar above the standard price so I'll wait until it comes closer to my acceptable price point.

People flipped their shit over a the $50 pricetag for some Vita games. That is of course completely insane on Sony's behalf but it's nowhere near as big of a price differential as Ghost Trick versus 99.99999% of other iOS games.

You are not comparing similar things IMO. An XBLA game and a retail new release are not the same price. But they are still part of the same platform. You should judge them for the game itself and compare accordingly.

This isn't even new to iOS. Carryovers from handhelds or consoles are always at a different price point than the more traditional mobile games. Phoenix Wright is $5. Most Square ports are 10-15 bucks.

There is, if im understanding correctly, almost nothing different about this game from its DS release to its iOS release. Except price. You are essentially unhappy about paying 20 less than it would have cost you elsewhere.

Haunted

It stopped being a $30 game when it changed platforms to one where software doesn't sell at that price. The market has set iOS games at a price of $1-$2 after developers set that expectation.
Surely you concede that a game of Ghost Trick's calibre shouldn't cost the same as the 99c dreck on the App Store?

It's clearly worth more than 10 bucks just looking at the game on its own.

They're definitely using higher res video for the rewind and phone tracing transitions, which I imagine takes up a good chunk of the 338 MB. I'm sure the same care was taken for the videos from near the end of the game.

Doesn't look higher res to me, just blurrily resized just like the chapter title cards. The front loaded trailer video that plays when you first launch the game is the only higher res video I've seen so far.

I sort of miss the scanline animation from the original, now that it's been pointed out it's missing.

Alex

I don't miss anything from the DS version, it looks so much better now without that splotchy, super low-res. DS has some good software but I really hate that hardware.

Hopefully the Phoenix Wright stuff is good quality, too. I never played 3.

Fusebox

Banned
This is like Sam Goody trying to sell CDs at $17.99 or Borders selling a BRD for $39.99 (the respective MSRPs) when they are half that elsewhere. A select few are willing, but most are not. You have to sell at or close to the market's price if you want to be successful.

No, this is like Sam Goody selling Mission Impossible 4 for $30 while Borders are selling Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot for $10.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The framerate thing is the most distracting for me. I dont think there's any reason why the artwork sliding thing has lower framerate compared to DS. The actual game animations look the same though

LiK

I remember being annoyed at the viewing angles on the DS ver were I kept adjusting to get the best view so the colors would look better. Don't need to do that with the iOS ver.

Alex

I don't recall having any viewing angle problems on DS, but I have an XL if that makes any difference.

I don't think this iOS port is expensive but I won't support 9.99€/$ iOS games. imho, 5.99-6.99€/$ is the right price for an iOS game

LiK

I don't recall having any viewing angle problems on DS, but I have an XL if that makes any difference.

I played on XL. I mean viewing angles between top and bottom screen. Ya know, the top is always in an angle. Was just annoying when I was playing in bed.

Meier

Surely you concede that a game of Ghost Trick's calibre shouldn't cost the same as the 99c dreck on the App Store?

It's clearly worth more than 10 bucks just looking at the game on its own.

Absolutely. I do agree it's worth more and I am willing to pay more, but not $10. Maybe $5. $4 is the most I've ever spent (a few Kairosoft games) on an iOS title personally and that is because I'm a massive fan. I do feel bad for developers because they are hamstrung on pricing but that price is unpalatable for me.

I won't post further though until I've played the game some day after a hopeful price drop. No interest in a continued back and forth and "shitting up" the thread.

As a jukebeat player that owns all but one of the game's 20 song packs released so far (at $3.99 a pop), and who knows how many music packs from jubeat plus, I find the fact that people would hesitate to pay $10 for a 10-20 hour long game hilarious.

LiK

As a jukebeat player that owns all but one of the game's 20 song packs released so far (at $3.99 a pop), and who knows how many music packs from jubeat plus, I find the fact that people would hesitate to pay $10 for a 10-20 hour long game hilarious.

Don't go into the iOS Gaming Thread. You might die from laughter. :p

Absolutely. I do agree it's worth more and I am willing to pay more, but not $10. Maybe $5. $4 is the most I've ever spent (a few Kairosoft games) on an iOS title personally and that is because I'm a massive fan. I do feel bad for developers because they are hamstrung on pricing but that price is unpalatable for me.

I won't post further though until I've played the game some day after a hopeful price drop. No interest in a continued back and forth and "shitting up" the thread.

I think most of the incredulity isn't your arguments about the price of iOS games, those seem valid, at least in the way that the market has been kind of set at 1-2 dollars. That being said, Infinity Blade 1 and 2 sold like fucking clownshoes and they were priced considerably higher. More likely it's the fact that you just seem outrageously cheap, like a friend of mine who'll wait hours to get home and drink tap water because he refuses to spend 75 cents on a bottle of water. To not be interested in a game is fine, but every post you've made just seems like you're using market data to justify your own stingyness.

If you are stingy though, that's fine, but don't expect not to get called out on it in a forum where many people here, including myself, paid full price at launch for the game on DS and immediately double dipped because they want to support Capcom iOS releases and fantastic games.

Top Bottom