• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI November cover: Resistance 3 (Another thread claimed for The Last Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

In all serious though, if it's anything like R2 i will be skipping this. If it goes back to R1 style then i might actually care about it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Strider2K99 said:
Wow, that really is Capelli? Couldn't even recognize him.
He doesn't look the same at all. Much skinnier, no hat, and totally different clothing makes him look like someone completely new.

Animator

Seeing a big boss fight depicted on the cover that remind me of the leviathan fight in r2 and those are not good memories.

+1 on somebody PLEASE tell us the last guardian info.

New Full Moon Show podcast should be up during our usual launch on Thursday. This one is another in our retrospective series, focusing on Resistance 2.

Edited video version this week, hour-long info overload audio version next week.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Animator said:
Seeing a big boss fight depicted on the cover that remind me of the leviathan fight in r2 and those are not good memories.
It's a Widowmaker, one of the several large enemies from Resistance 1 that wasn't in 2. The encounters with them were pretty hard but they were really fun to fight.

MrPliskin

Banned
Team Klimt said:
New Full Moon Show podcast should be up during our usual launch on Thursday. This one is another in our retrospective series, focusing on Resistance 2.

Edited video version this week, hour-long info overload audio version next week.

Can't wait to watch/listen. I always love hearing the guy's at Insomniac talk about their work, I don't expect this to be any different!

alr1ghtstart said:
is this a prequel?

No. It more than likely takes place a few years after Resistance 2. At least that's the popular consensus at this point.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IT'S THE FUCKING WIDOWMAKER!!!!!!!!!!!

theBishop

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
is this a prequel?

No.

Definitely not a prequel to 1 (Chimera weren't in the US before 1).

Probably not a prequel to 2. The semi-live action teaser shows a level of destruction beyond what happened in 2, and Capelli would've been with the SRPAs for the period between 1 and 2. If Capelli is own his own, hobo'ing his way East, it makes some sense after the conclusion of R2.

MrPliskin

Banned
"If that's not enough, you can look forward to a month full of exclusive online Resistance 3 content on this very website. Stay tuned for the Resistance 3 hub launch this Friday."

So this Friday should mark some good info, hopefully VIDEO footage :)

Also, I don't think that's a boss fight or a hint at a fully fledged train level, rather, probably a mode of transportation.

A train seems like a great way to cover area, deliver some narrative, and flesh out your characters.

Defuser

Although I would like to believe it's not a prequel to R2 but the Chimera's rifle looks like the first game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A Widowmaker is always good news.

I call dibs for a Beta Code !!!

MrPliskin

Banned
Defuser said:
Although I would like to believe it's not a prequel to R2 but the Chimera's rifle looks like the first game.

It's impossible to be a prequel given the time lines, unless Insomniac has done some serious retcon on the story.

Capelli was in the Marines most of this time, and didn't fight any Chimera until after the Project Abraham experiments. In the trailers, his eye's are gold, which means he's been infected.

There are other indicators there like the building of the Arch, the state of the cities, Capellis Scar, etc. Most of the gap between the 1st and 2nd game is covered in the Comics and the Novel, and this would have to be a very narrow period of time to be a prequel to that.

MrPliskin

Banned
Jesus...is it really necessary that you repost that huge image just so you can make a stale joke that's already been made many times before in the thread (and much more effectively)?

alr1ghtstart said:
is this a prequel?

Dude, "Chimera Ruled world" and the bow on the back is a landmark from the US (that, or Australia, can't ever seem to remember which one).
(obvious point needed stressing, obviously. :p )

Hopefully the Widowmaker will be like its first game counterparts and not the R2 bosses. I'm pretty sure I'll play it some point anyway if it isn't another R2 (which is unlikely, I'ld think)

eosos

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Jesus...is it really necessary that you repost that huge image just so you can make a stale joke that's already been made many times before in the thread (and much more effectively)?
I thought it was humorous... 56K or what?

Mikey Jr.

alr1ghtstart said:
is this a prequel?

No way. Cappelli was like 34 at the end of Resistance 2. From the leaked shots, it looked like he has aged quite a bit, possibly to his 40's. So lets say he's 45.

Resistance 3 takes place 16 years after Resistance 2.

MrPliskin

Banned
eosos said:
I thought it was humorous... 56K or what?

No, 14mbps, pretty snappy cable connection. It is just annoying having that huge image reposted with a silly photoshop when we've all already seen the joke at least 5 times in the thread (hell, the first reply got it right). That, and it messes with my "OCD" stretching the window out :lol

Mikey Jr. said:
No way. Cappelli was like 34 at the end of Resistance 2. From the leaked shots, it looked like he has aged quite a bit, possibly to his 40's. So lets say he's 45.

Resistance 3 takes place 16 years after Resistance 2.

I think 16 years might be quite a stretch :lol

I'd say 3, maybe 4 years at the most. Capelli doesn't look old so much as he does look worn out. Looks like resources are scarce, so he's probably not eating well, which explains his weight loss and poor health (perceived, albeit).

So it's Capelli, but it looks like Grayson. Wut. Character looks awesome though.

Either way, cover has me hyped. More grim and grey, less bright and orange like Resistance 2. Looking back at old concept art, Resistance 2 had a very colorful, "omg alienz!" vibe to it. R3 has more of the end of the world, horror-esque feel that Fall of Man had.

Now they just need to come up with a cover as equally awesome as Fall of Man's cover. Resistance 2's cover was too "look, bald space marine!" for me. But I suppose that was more a fault of Sony's inept marketing at the time than anything Insomniac might've done. Sony was very into the generic "close up of pro/antagonist on cover" stuff at the time.

Also, yeeeaaah new info on the Last Guardian! Hopefully it's not just a retread of TGS stuff.

Robot 492

Banned
As I said in the other thread, great cover. Can't wait to hear more about Resistance 3.

And The Last Guardian info is cool, too, I guess :p

Fuck yes. I love both Resistance and R2. Can't wait for R3.
I do hope Hale is in the game in some form though. I'll miss him if he's not. Yes, yes, I know what happened at the end of R2.

MrPliskin said:
I think 16 years might be quite a stretch :lol

Not sure how closely Insomniac bothers mirroring the "real" world, but the St. Louis Gateway Arch was completed in '65, so this would put this over ten years from R2.

The modern arch looks a bit strange next to that old timey train.

St. Louis! Cool. I almost didn't see the arch.

BTW, the Gateway Arch in St. Louis was started in February 12, 1963, and ended on October 28, 1965 for folks trying to put the timeline together. Although this is an ALTERNATE HISTORY deal, so I guess that doesn't mean much.

So it seems like the Chimera
were at least slowed down enough so they didn't wipe out the last remaining holdouts in Louisiana I'm guessing? Or is this just the last few remaining random stragglers left?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Arch was built way earlier in Resistance timeline due to lack of World War II and materials being available. Certainly was built before the events of R2.

Jomjom

Banned
user_nat said:
Game contains a train..

GOTY.

And we know it will have Nolan North, because what game doesn't have Nolan North?

Double GOTY.

Aw a bit of a letdown after the awesome Bioshock Infinite covers. It's still not bad though. We should have an [OT] just for GI covers.

slider

I'm excited and will have to replay R2. I remember it being good but it didn't grab me as much as the first.

jstevenson said:
Arch was built way earlier in Resistance timeline due to lack of World War II and materials being available. Certainly was built before the events of R2.

Is that explained in R3 or any or the upcoming novel? If its not you'd have people playing the game doing a wtfpicard.jpg!

I take it you guys wanted the landmark in the game so you just wrote the story around it.

Would have been funny if you guys put it in and then some guy comes into work one day and says . . .woah . . .that thing was built way later and you guys had to write the story to fit it in.

If Resistance: FOM took place 1951. . .that just about gave you a 4 year window where it could have been built. Nice.

I hope Grayson turns up or is mentioned at some point. Capelli's apperance is much better this time around.

Grayson was awesome. I need to know what happened to him.

Galvanise_ said:
I hope Grayson turns up or is mentioned at some point. Capelli's apperance is much better this time around.

Grayson was awesome. I need to know what happened to him.

What's Sony Bend up to nowadays? Maybe there working on Retribution 2 for the PSP2.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What's Sony Bend up to nowadays? Maybe there working on Retribution 2 for the PSP2.

Those fuckers (joke) better be bringing me Gabe Logan to my PS3. They are allowed to work on Syphon Filter PS3 and a Resistance title for the PSP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom