• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI November cover: Resistance 3 (Another thread claimed for The Last Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzzopher

Galvanise_ said:
If Insomniac do walk away from PS3 exclusive development entirely. . .Sony would need a Platformer developer, a WRPG developer and a JRPG developer to fill out their line up.

Media Molecule could do a WRPG, they certainly have the staff for it. Cambridge or MM could do a Ratchet game also. They'd need to build an internal team in SCEJ to get a JRPG studio.

Suzzopher said:
Media Molecule could do a WRPG, they certainly have the staff for it. Cambridge or MM could do a Ratchet game also. They'd need to build an internal team in SCEJ to get a JRPG studio.

Well they did have one but we know how that turned out. Bloomin' SCEJ.

I wouldn't want to see a Ratchet game without Insomniac working closely with whoever is doing it. I'd much rather the series end if Insomniac aren't involved any more.

As for the WRPG, its true that MM could make one. . .but I think you really do need someone with a big personality at the helm of a big budget project like that and the MM guys seem to be the quiet, geeky, dedicated type.

For all of Sony's large first party line up. . they do seem to have some quite glaringly obvious holes. For some reason when I wrote this I had the Wild Arms opening theme in my head. . . *sigh*. Bring that one back for a start Sony.

Galvanise_ said:
This is why I think if Sony wants the PSP2 line up to be consistent and entice more 3rd party support. . .they'll have to stump up the cash and buy up a few studios to work exclusively on handheld titles. Studios like Cambridge and Bend are too good to be largely doing only PSP/Home things.

Cambridge have exceptional talent in their ranks but we barely get to see the fruits of their labour. Sure, they helped out a lot with Heavenly Sword, Killzone 2 and LBP. . .but its definitely time they brought out something for PS3 that said 'Suck it down. . .we are awesome'.

I wonder whether Insomniac will continue to make some PS3 exclusive games after R&C:A4O and Resistance 3. I was surprised both projects got announced on the same day and are launching in the same window. I think the NC studio would be a good candidate for a PSP2 game.

Sony has already been expanding their list of developer since the start of these generation, either through buying dev like MM and Guerilla, or by 2nd party dev relationship. they have been expanding again just for Move this year, I think Sports Champion, Fight, and Sorcery are all new developers hired by Sony to make move games.

hopefully the same will happen for PSP2.

Callibretto said:
Sony has already been expanding their list of developer since the start of these generation, either through buying dev like MM and Guerilla, or by 2nd party dev relationship. they have been expanding again just for Move this year, I think Sports Champion, Fight, and Sorcery are all new developers hired by Sony to make move games.

hopefully the same will happen for PSP2.

Yeah. They need to make some great handheld IP. A pokemon of the PSP that Sony owns.

Galvanise_ said:
If Insomniac do walk away from PS3 exclusive development entirely. . .Sony would need a Platformer developer, a WRPG developer and a JRPG developer to fill out their line up.

It's not like IG makes RPGs, so why would they need to get an RPG developer to fill the "void" left by Insomniac going full time multiplat with EA? That should be expected btw, the 1 game deal they have with EA now is probably a test of sorts to see how the game will sell on the 360 and see if it's worth the extra resources and double the QA work. Considering they'll probably make a shooter, it'll probably do well enough for them to go full time with their EA partnership.

As far as platformers go, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Read at Dawn have all proven to make as good, or better, platformers than Insomniac makes; so SCE shouldn't be worried. If anything they should look into acquiring SP and RaD, because those two, along with Clap Hanz, are the companies that make the most sense for SCE to buy, if it is looking to expand its WWS.

Galvanise_ said:
Yeah. They need to make some great handheld IP. A pokemon of the PSP that Sony owns.

Easier said than done.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Cold-Steel said:
Interesting.

So either the game takes place prior to Resistance 2 or that just happens to be a nice coincidence.

hah, I just meant that after Resistance 2, humanity was in no position to be building an Arch.

The Arch in real life was designed in '47, just didn't get built forever. We sped that up.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
hah, I just meant that after Resistance 2, humanity was in no position to be building an Arch.

The Arch in real life was designed in '47, just didn't get built forever. We sped that up.

Stop messing with history!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah dying to know more about R3 weapon system, chronology and main character.

AranhaHunter said:
It's not like IG makes RPGs, so why would they need to get an RPG developer to fill the "void" left by Insomniac going full time multiplat with EA? That should be expected btw, the 1 game deal they have with EA now is probably a test of sorts to see how the game will sell on the 360 and see if it's worth the extra resources and double the QA work. Considering they'll probably make a shooter, it'll probably do well enough for them to go full time with their EA partnership.

As far as platformers go, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Read at Dawn have all proven to make as good, or better, platformers than Insomniac makes; so SCE shouldn't be worried. If anything they should look into acquiring SP and RaD, because those two, along with Clap Hanz, are the companies that make the most sense for SCE to buy, if it is looking to expand its WWS.

I mean the line up in general. They lack a WPRG maker and a JRPG maker. They'll also lack a developer making platformers. If they take another studio off of their current game to make one of those games. . .that will open up another gap, for example if they got Sucker Punch to make a broad-appealing platformer. . .they'd lack an exclusive open world game.

jiggles

Banned
Bracing for some "HOLYFUCKJESUSCHRIST60PLAYERSONLINE8PLAYERCOOPSERPERATECAMPAIGN" scale news, like we had with Resistance 2.

For TLG

Suzzopher

Can't wait to hear what they are bringing to the next game, although more details on The Last Guardian interest me much more.

Prefer they scale down the multiplayer to make it better and more focused. The giant MP battles of R2 were so pointless and the way it was designed you were always just fighting a small group of people.

MrPliskin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Prefer they scale down the multiplayer to make it better and more focused. The giant MP battles of R2 were so pointless and the way it was designed you were always just fighting a small group of people.

I think 40 is the sweet spot, but honestly I don't see them changing it.

Matchmaking does a good job of keeping you out of large games if you don't want them. Just select "small" and you'll get in a room of 20 or less (most of the time). I never had a single issue with the 60 man mp, because I never played it :lol

jiggles

Banned
MrPliskin said:

Matchmaking does a good job of keeping you out of large games if you don't want them. Just select "small" and you'll get in a room of 20 or less (most of the time). I never had a single issue with the 60 man mp, because I never played it :lol

The problem I had with the 60 player MP was the structure of the matches. Having to run back and forth across the map to different objectives every 2 minutes was shite craic.

That, and the weapons were kinda weedy.

MrPliskin

Banned
jigglywiggly said:
The problem I had with the 60 player MP was the structure of the matches. Having to run back and forth across the map to different objectives every 2 minutes was shite craic.

That, and the weapons were kinda weedy.

Yea, that's why I avoided them. Really your problem is with Skirmish, as the mode was 'broken'. Being assigned an objective, then losing it, then being assigned something unrelated was crazy. The game should have told you "You lost the beacon, get it back" instead of "Defend the beacon" and then having you run BACK to the area you just left. If they can fix that (and throw in some more interesting twists) then Skirmish mode could be awesome, should they bring it back.

60 man TDM wasn't much better. It always starts out REALLY good, everyone spread out in these small battles. Unfortunately, it'll very quickly turn into a HUGE fight in one area, which kills it almost instantly.

Im REALLY liking where Resistance 3 is headed right now. The concepts and screens give me iron in my pants. Thats so what I wanted it to be. Fucking like it alot!

Now, I just want Insomniac to be working on it full force and polish that shit off. I dont want no smudges in the wax. And preferably dont even think about using google map this time :p

jiggles

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Yea, that's why I avoided them. Really your problem is with Skirmish, as the mode was 'broken'. Being assigned an objective, then losing it, then being assigned something unrelated was crazy. The game should have told you "You lost the beacon, get it back" instead of "Defend the beacon" and then having you run BACK to the area you just left. If they can fix that (and throw in some more interesting twists) then Skirmish mode could be awesome, should they bring it back.

If they even just straight-out copied MAG, I'd be happy.

highluxury said:
And preferably dont even think about using google map this time :p

The whole game takes place in Street View.

MrPliskin said:

The game was still made with larger scale in mind so you had lot of crap map design, and the visuals were awful, a big downgrade from even the lackluster mixed bag that was the SP graphics.

A tighter and better looking MP would be more desirable to the giant scaling clusterfuck that they had in 2.

MrPliskin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
The game was still made with larger scale in mind so you had lot of crap map design, and the visuals were awful, a big downgrade from even the lackluster mixed bag that was the SP graphics.

A tighter and better looking MP would be more desirable to the giant scaling clusterfuck that they had in 2.

Well, I can't say I agree with all of your opinion, and some of it comes off as hyperbole, but to each their own :)

Cornbread78

MrPliskin said:

I loved tha larger scale battles, the R2 maps were actually good at spreading everything out, so the battle ghanged constantly around the map. The one main thing the maps were missing was what made the MP maps in R1 epic; strategy. Take Lexington for example, everyone wanted the "Container" side because it there was a clear strategic advantage to getting that side, where the sniper rifle, Auger and Airfuel granades spawned. \

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
I loved tha larger scale battles, the R2 maps were actually good at spreading everything out, so the battle ghanged constantly around the map. The one main thing the maps were missing was what made the MP maps in R1 epic; strategy. Take Lexington for example, everyone wanted the "Container" side because it there was a clear strategic advantage to getting that side, where the sniper rifle, Auger and Airfuel granades spawned. \

I think Strategy was still there, just that it was all based on high ground and holding an area with good defensive characteristics.

i.e. in Orick, you were at a great advantage if you could hold the top of the lumber mill, or in Chicago, if you could take over the rooftops, then you held the advantage. It was all about holding areas and defending them properly, most of the time all of the areas were tied to snipers though :(

Loudninja

BTW who here got that 10,000 kill trophy?It took me a long time but I did get it. Please no more trophies like that unless you really decrease the number of kills needed.

Massa

I'd love if the competitive multiplayer was class-based (bonus points if the classes are consistent with coop) and the Skirmish mode was a bit more structured, kind of like KZ2's Warzone but with the different squads having different objectives.

Loudninja said:
BTW who here got that 10,000 kill trophy?It took me a long time but I did get it. Please no more trophies like that unless you really decrease the number of kills needed.

I have it. :D

Massa

jetsetfluken said:
I'm being serious here, I think one of the reasons there was no TLG cover was because it's Japanese.

I don't think they have enough new information on The Last Guardian to make a cover story for it.

I don't get why people are so excited for new info on that game anyway. We already have a good idea of what it's supposed to be, now it's just waiting until it's released and amazes us all.

Cornbread78

MrPliskin said:
I think Strategy was still there, just that it was all based on high ground and holding an area with good defensive characteristics.

i.e. in Orick, you were at a great advantage if you could hold the top of the lumber mill, or in Chicago, if you could take over the rooftops, then you held the advantage. It was all about holding areas and defending them properly, most of the time all of the areas were tied to snipers though :(

True, but for some reason, those advantages stuck out more on the R2 maps. Half the time when we played in big maps in Orick, the battles would move from teh top of the saw mill over to the firehouse in a falsh, maybe the spawn system was to blame there.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If someone gets the magazine please make a new thread!
Something like : Game Informer: "Resistance 3 powered by Ted Price blue eyes" will work.

Cornbread78

Loudninja said:

Check... I should have just platinumed it, but I was too busy playing online, LOL. I wonder where my international rank is now.... I'll have to check tomorrow night, I haven't played in months.

Fersis said:
If someone gets the magazine please make a new thread!
Something like : Game Informer: "Resistance 3 powered by Ted Price blue eyes" will work.

"Oh Teddy, he's so dreamy" :lol

Loudninja said:

I do, I had to play almost every day for a few month with my clan to actually get it. :lol

RockmanWhore said:
I do, I had to play almost every day for a few month with my clan to actually get it. :lol
I got to 9k kill in about a month, then I only played co-op for a long time before I finished the 10k up

Robot 492

Banned
Loudninja said:
I have it! The game actually gave me the trophy at around 9800 kills...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have it =)

The 10,000 kill trophy was a chore. The killing part was fun, it was the infuriating objective based games that moved you from 1 place to another that made it unbearable.
Team Deathmatch was a campfest,. Clans/groups huddle together and just stuck with each other, if you played alone lol good luck.
Deathmatch was a pain too, was a clusterfuck of too many mofo's running around, spawn points were so misplaced, it was hilarious.

"Grab the Beacon", "Protect the Beacon" (sounded like Bacon after hearing for the 1,000th time)
Was hoping for the trifecta "Steal the Bacon! (Beacon)"

If they released R:FOM trophy patchy I go platinum that too.

<3 Insomniac, hope they learned the lessons from R2, especially the feedback from the people that want this franchise to strive to a AAA title

Call dibs on Beta after Fersis =D

Cornbread78

GraveRobberX said:
I have it =)

The 10,000 kill trophy was a chore. The killing part was fun, it was the infuriating objective based games that moved you from 1 place to another that made it unbearable.
Team Deathmatch was a campfest,.Clans/groups huddle together and just stuck with each other, if you played alone lol good luck.
Deathmatch was a pain too, was a clusterfuck of too many mofo's running around, spawn points were so misplaced, it was hilarious.

"Grab the Beacon", "Protect the Beacon" (sounded like Bacon after hearing for the 1,000th time)
Was hoping for the trifecta "Steal the Bacon! (Beacon)"

If they released R:FOM trophy patchy I go platinum that too.

<3 Insomniac, hope they learned the lessons from R2, especially the feedback from the people that want this franchise to strive to a AAA title

Call dibs on Beta after Fersis =D

- Maybe on smaller maps, but definately nothing like CoD. I must say I am guilty as charged with teh big groups though. I rolled in parties of about 12-20 every night to keep our numbers strong, a lot of running and gunning though. now the BIG problem with that was after the last big patch they did, about 75% of the time we queued up for a game, the party would et seperated on we would end up playing against each other.... AARRGGHH WTF.

- Hey wait in line buddy, LOL. you're gonna have to kiss more a$$ than that to get next to fersis. He's now rubbing up on Teddy Price to get there :D
I'm a little jealous

Chris_C

Galvanise_ said:
I mean the line up in general. They lack a WPRG maker and a JRPG maker. They'll also lack a developer making platformers. If they take another studio off of their current game to make one of those games. . .that will open up another gap, for example if they got Sucker Punch to make a broad-appealing platformer. . .they'd lack an exclusive open world game.

I've been saying this about Sony's first party set up for a while. I was sort of hoping they'd pick up Obsidian and give them the tech support they need to really flourish.

Corto

Chris_C said:
I've been saying this about Sony's first party set up for a while. I was sort of hoping they'd pick up Obsidian and give them the tech support they need to really flourish.

I would love that! Maybe not a buy out, but signing them for an exclusive deal for a wrpg franchise.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
is'nt SF a Stealth game?

why the need for 8 player co-op

It's actually a lot closer to Uncharted levels of action imo, especially the 'newer' games. It does frequently have stealth sections though, yeah.

Oh man, just thought of SF2's train level with the U2 engine *fap fap fap*

Loudninja

Might as well discuss the pics more, since I doubt we get the info today since its Columbus day.So is that a new weapon the Ravager is carrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom