• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to keep going back to Witcher 3 because the quest design is so good and the stories in those quests are so consistently great. No lame fetch quests, no "clear out raider cave #33," just good solid narrative and exploration.

I'm pretty sure Mario Maker, Rocket League, and MGSV are gonna be in the top 5.

Trails in the Sky SC getting robbed yet again :p
If it makes you feel any better the TiTS talk in this thread has put it pretty high up on my list of games to play. I think either that or Fire Emblem Fates will take up a lot of early 2016 for me.

talkin' tits

tuxfool

Banned
If it makes you feel any better the TiTS talk in this thread has put it pretty high up on my list of games to play. I think either that or Fire Emblem Fates will take up a lot of early 2016 for me.

talkin' tits

Yup. It keeps reminding me that TiTS:FC has to move up in my backlog queue.

santeesioux

This will kill my cred, but I'm going to have to get some god mode mods for the first 2 Witchers to just get through them for the story to be able to play 3. I've had them all downloaded for a while now just sitting there waiting to be played.

It's easy to keep going back to Witcher 3 because the quest design is so good and the stories in those quests are so consistently great. No lame fetch quests, no "clear out raider cave #33," just good solid narrative and exploration.

talkin' tits

Yup. It keeps reminding me that TiTS:FC has to move up in my backlog queue.

Its really good. I haven't played Witcher 3 myself, but the sidequests in TitS is some of the best I've ever seen. I love that they develop a lot of the side/minor characters and make the world feel like its full of actual people instead of just the black and white main characters/NPCs.

I also love how the game is a slow burn, but it being that way is a double edge sword, since the people who want their game to feel like it always has some significant or dire situation happening are going to be real disappointed with the game. TitS knows when to make the events of the game feel dire/significant, but its also definitely not afraid to take a step back and be nonchalant.

Deadstar

I really hate Giant Bomb's search. It's such a pain to find old videos. I search for game of the year under videos only and all this other stuff shows up, then when I try to uncheck the wiki items nothing loads.

This will kill my cred, but I'm going to have to get some god mode mods for the first 2 Witchers to just get through them for the story to be able to play 3. I've had them all downloaded for a while now just sitting there waiting to be played.

eh, the second one actually plays well. The first one hasn't really held up very well though.

You might just want to watch a lets play of TW1 or read a wiki. I gave up after 18 hours because I just found myself bored and not enjoying the combat at all

I would argue you don't need to play them, I didn't and W3 is easily my GOTY. You'd just need to accept you're being landed in a universe where shit has already gone down.

It might actually wear you out by the time you get to it if you try to play the first 2, I heard the mechanics are pretty rough.

santeesioux

eh, the second one actually plays well. The first one hasn't really held up very well though.

You might just want to watch a lets play of TW1 or read a wiki. I gave up after 18 hours because I just found myself bored and not enjoying the combat at all

Yeah, I bought the 1st one on a Steam sale like 4 years ago. I remember getting to a swamp and just having enough of that combat. I guess I could just watch a lets play and find a save that lines up with what I would do. I've had the second one for years too but haven't played more than an hour of it.

Witcher 1 was pretty good, but I thought Witcher 2 was real mediocre. A lot of people skipped them and still adore 3, so I'd just do that honestly.

Yeah, I bought the 1st one on a Steam sale like 4 years ago. I remember getting to a swamp and just having enough of that combat. I guess I could just watch a lets play and find a save that lines up with what I would do. I've had the second one for years too but haven't played more than an hour of it.

the second one has a weak and uneven start but it really gets good by the end of Act 1. And, unlike TW3, Act 1 is actually a reasonable length, like 7-10 hours long at most. The whole game can be finished within 25 hours and that includes doing side quests and taking your time.

However, some folks like to replay the game since some of the choices you make will lock you out of about 30-40% of story content

Bowlie

Banned
do I want Theatrhythm or Dancing All Night?

Theatrhythm has a large song list, but the stages get repetitive quickly (characters attacking monsters over and over). It has a lot of RPG mechanics included which makes it fun to keep playing to level your characters and get better drops. Once you get all characters though (a few dozen hours), this system becomes worthless and you stay with a basic and easy rhythm game. Also, if you bought the first one, Curtain Call is more of a little improvement on the first game than a proper sequel. The only thing completely new is that you can do multiplayer battles.
And there are two Lightnings in it.

DAN has few songs (or at least, fewer than I'd want), and you can't play with every character in them. On the other hand, each song has its choreography, you can buy costumes for everyone, the playing is more challenging and enjoyable and there's a pretty good VN component (as good as P4 plot goes).
And there's Naoto in it.

Myggen

Quick Look: Devil's Third
Video - Tomorrow at 2:00 PM

giphy.gif

fuzzyset

so Fable III is on sale

for god knows what reason, i trust you folks with your tastes. is fable 3 worth it? read Brad's review and it seems both great and kinda clunky

It's not a good game. Bad bad design choices. Unless you have literally nothing else to play, I would avoid it. Such a disappointment.

jmood88

I've been ignoring Danswers every time an episode pops up but I decided to listen for whatever reason and I'm now on my 5th hour of listening to nothing but Danswers.

I have heard (but not validated) that DAN's rhythm portions are actually slightly off-beat, which makes getting combos unfairly tricky.

doesn't surprise me considering some of the issues I've had with Dingo's other games.

I liked Theatrhythm: Curtain Call, but not enough to keep playing the tracks over and over to grind.

Yeah. Might have to wait for a good sale. just had a strong urge to play a rhythm game.

Myggen

Danswers might be their most polarizing content. You see a lot of people who absolutely love it and it obviously does great for them, but I can understand people not wanting another advice podcast. I personally really like it and thought the one with Tamoor Hussain was especially good.

do I want Theatrhythm or Dancing All Night?

I'd say Dancing All Night, DAN has managed to keep my interest for close to 100 hours and I still regularly play it. It has some issues but I think it's a solid rhythm game and also a good P4 spin-off, if you like P4 I'd say it's definitely worth checking out.

LiK

I still haven' listened to Jason's episode. Danswers is good but I mentioned before that they make me pretty depressed. you need to be in the best fucking mood to listen to them, imo.

Dany

Banned
Danswers might be their most polarizing content. You see a lot of people who absolutely love it and it obviously does great for them, but I can understand people not wanting another advice podcast. I personally really like it and thought the one with Tamoor Hussain was especially good.

I disliked it because of the advice given was not good lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom