• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firmly in the extreme minority camp that Mortal Kombat didn't get "good" until Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

EDIT: Dammit I'm not trying to get the stupid top posts and it keeps happening

Meneses

Quadrilateral Cowboy seems rather... meh.

It feels like the anti-youtuber-bait game in the way that it's kind of like a critic-bait game - since they seem to be all over any indies that have a retro aesthetic and a quirky, weird look that can let them say "this is cool, I GET it and i'm cool for getting it. Listen to my Hot Take".

Myggen

Quadrilateral Cowboy seems rather... meh.

It feels like the anti-youtuber-bait game in the way that it's kind of like a critic-bait game - since they seem to be all over any indies that have a retro aesthetic and a quirky, weird look that can let them say "this is cool, I GET it and i'm cool for getting it. Listen to my Hot Take".

The guy has been making the game for well over 3 years, I doubt it`s because he wanted to make a "critic-bait game". It`s always amusing with these hostile anti game critics posts out of the blue.

Meneses

The guy has been making the game for well over 3 years, I doubt it`s because he wanted to make a "critic-bait game".

Well, critics have loved this type of game for a long time.

edit: oh that edit, I guess it really bothered you. Sorry for taking the hallowed game critics name in vain.

Is Quadrilateral Cowboy going to be another Gone Home? Because I'll have to play it, if so.
(I haven't seen the QL yet.)

Not really, it's more puzzle-oriented than Gone Home or the previous games in this universe (Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving). I mean, there's still a narrative and plenty of style but it is more mechanical than those games.

Last week's bombcast is up in video form on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yep2Zasv9fI

Drew confirmed as being creepy as fuck.

Looking fantastic. The Bombcast starts at a perfect time where I'm at so unless something else comes up, I should always be free to join in and watch. Wednesdays will be the new Tuesdays for me.

Awesome, I already bought the game. Hoping to finish it in one sitting but we'll see.

Curtain Call is another awesome game choice, I still boot it up every now and then for a few songs. Worst part is you have to buy the DLC songs individually, which is painfully slow.

I love rhythm games, especially when they are good so, that one was a no brainer. This is also coming from someone who's never played a FF game.

---

ep3ecFP.png

Myggen

I just hope Quadrilateral Cowboy doesn`t actually require some coding skill, because that`s where I hit a wall with these hacking puzzle games.

Anjin M

Is Quadrilateral Cowboy going to be another Gone Home? Because I'll have to play it, if so.
(I haven't seen the QL yet.)
It's by the guy who made Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights Of Loving (and a few others). He makes interesting games.

I'll probably watch the quick look and read a review or two before deciding whether to pick this up. But I'm leaning towards yes.

Not really, it's more puzzle-oriented than Gone Home or the previous games in this universe (Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving). I mean, there's still a narrative and plenty of style but it is more mechanical than those games.

I can live with this.

Also just reminded myself that the Gone Home dev's next game is coming out some day, eventually. Forgot it existed for a while there...
I just hope Quadrilateral Cowboy doesn`t actually require some coding skill, because that`s where I hit a wall with these hacking puzzle games.

Only Notch is crazy enough to design a game around that, right? (I know it's wrong, but still.)

Myggen

You know what, i'm sorry for being so confrontational back there, Myggen.

You're a good guy.

Nah man, it's all good.

Hugs for everyone!

Man I'm looking forward to the live Bombcast recording tomorrow. Probably gonna listen to the audio most weeks, but have to catch this first one live. Hopefully nothing goes wrong (heh).

Best moment of 2016 - That Part in DOOM Where You Kill Things

Comprehensive List of Best Moment contenders for 2016:
  • Doom: shootbang (general)
  • Inside: brothers of limbo (brad)
  • Stardew Valley: farmvilling (Dan)
  • Stellaris: gerrymandering (Austin)
  • Homefront 2: war crimes gun (tough decision for Austin)
  • No Man's Sky: it'll be there, probably (giving this to Drew because he's a wildcard)
  • Overwatch: several reasons
  • DotA 2: dammit, Brad
  • The Witness remains forgotten.
  • Street Fighter V: when it works (Jason)

And it'll go to something they remember in the last ten minutes of deliberations.

GotY stuff could be pretty much wrapped up right now.

Myggen

• No Man's Sky: it'll be there, probably (giving this to Drew because he's a wildcard)

And it'll go to something they remember in the last ten minutes of deliberations.

Man, No Man's Sky is so close now.

I loved The Witness, but I couldn't really put my finger on a best moment.

I could see one of them gunning for "the moment when you just get it", but nothing more specific than that.

Rez Infinite going to steal most moments.

I loved The Witness, but I couldn't really put my finger on a best moment.

I could see one of them gunning for "the moment when you just get it", but nothing more specific than that.

I think two best moments for me are seeing how the puzzles sometimes require you to visit some place else to get the solution for a puzzle you came across 20 or so minutes ago and of course finding out what the stone pillars are for.

• Hitman: Body Pile Toilet Bomb (Brad + Dan)

Myggen

I really hope that thing isnt this decades Spore.

It doesnt have to be the best thing ever. Just be decent.

I don`t expect it to be much more than a good exploration game, if it`s that I`m good. I guess it`s a product of it being insanely hyped, but it`s been a while since I`ve seen so many people actively hoping that a game is bad so they can shit on it. At least that`s what NMS threads on GAF feels like. Like I`ve said before, good or bad the review thread will be a disaster.

Predicting no-one at GB will love No Man's Sky apart from the guy reviewing it due to time constraints.

Seems like the kind of game that rewards time spent in it, which will also be enough time to get over less than top tier polished gameplay (shooting for example).

Actual best moments that won't be mentioned:
-Vs. the Burst in Furi
-Marie caving Callie's skull in during Splatoon's last Splatfest
-Triggering a 10+ session in #FE

Actual best game: Furi

(list)

I think you can get a bit more specific with Doom. That Cyberdemon fight is maybe the moment of that game.

Brad will probably push haaaaard for the ending bits of Inside, though. Dude's over the moon for it for some reason.

The guy has been making the game for well over 3 years, I doubt it`s because he wanted to make a "critic-bait game". It`s always amusing with these hostile anti game critics posts out of the blue.

I know you and Meneses are cool, but dude, you don't have to blow off or discredit every little bit of criticism that pops up in this thread. People aren't necessarily trying to be confrontational when they say they don't like something.

BearPawB

Banned
I think you can get a bit more specific with Doom. That Cyberdemon fight is maybe the moment of that game.

Brad will probably push haaaaard for the ending bits of Inside, though. Dude's over the moon for it for some reason.

I know you and Meneses are cool, but dude, you don't have to blow off or discredit every little bit of criticism that pops up in this thread. People aren't necessarily trying to be confrontational when they say they don't like something.

"critic click bait" isn't a a critical viewpoint.
It is purely confrontational lol

In no way on this planet did the guy make a game so that critics would write thinkpieces about it. That's outrageous

Meneses

Predicting no-one at GB will love No Man's Sky apart from the guy reviewing it due to time constraints.

Seems like the kind of game that rewards time spent in it, which will also be enough time to get over less than top tier polished gameplay (shooting for example).

I remember Brad being blown away by the idea of it when it was first revealed behind closed doors (I think Jeff was also into it, as were other duders? Might be remembering wrong).

At the very least, I think Brad will give it a lot of time - maybe even review it.

Regarding the reviews, at this point I almost hope it gets like 8s across the board so no one can be too angry about it.

"critic click bait" isn't a a critical viewpoint.
It is purely confrontational lol

In no way on this planet did the guy make a game so that critics would write thinkpieces about it. That's outrageous

I'm not just saying in this case in particular, I meant more in general.

Not to dismiss the idea that there could be a video game equivalent of Oscar bait, but yeah, the notion that QC is an example of that is misguided.

Meneses

Nah, our Myggen can be a bit overprotective but in this case I did sound like a dick and that's definitely not the right way to get a critical opinion across, so I don't blame him.

I can't really properly articulate my issues with this game (which kinda extend to the indie + critic / journo community in general), so i'll just drop it and again apologize for being an ass about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm really not feeling Quadrilateral Cowboy and you can't believe how much this bums me out.

any word on the gary busey hitdan video?

im wondering if they just immediately failed and couldn't release the video lol

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get two Gary Busey videos...

tonka

I'm really not feeling Quadrilateral Cowboy and you can't believe how much this bums me out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get two Gary Busey videos...

HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 001: rudds
HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 002: ExileOnMassSt
HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 003: unastrike
HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 004: funkify
HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 005: GiantBombing
HitDan: Gary Busey: Episode 006: dannyodwyer

Meneses

any word on the gary busey hitdan video?

im wondering if they just immediately failed and couldn't release the video lol

I think there's more stuff on the way, like the other Bonus map in Marrakesh, and they vaguely hinted at some sort of competition so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried the elusive target separately and then show everything in one video.

Quadrilateral Cowboy owns purely on the merits of "shit, this is the 30 Flights of Loving aesthetic/storytelling except WAY MORE and WAY BETTER and it's got a neat, actually challenging game in there too to stop it getting monotonous? well shit *unzips trousers*"

That's my review btw

Hmm I thought Quadrilateral Cowboy was going to be more of an Uplink-style fake OS with GUI hacking game rather than a puzzle walking simulator. But I'm still eager to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom