• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Why would you guys send me to Google to look for old GB threads with the police sketch Jeff story.

Now I've found this and can't stop.

1117405-gb_dukes.png

daycru

I finally got caught up on the last few podcasts and holy shit what a great addition Dan has been to the podcast. The Jose Canseco story alone is just such an incredible piece of Dan lore.

Also did anyone else feel like John Drake got weirdly direct and a little mean at the end of that episode? Like, yeah, him sending the email semi-anonymously was funny, and the discussion it produced was pretty funny, but I couldn't help but feel like it was more and more becoming a serious direct dig the longer it went on and kept being brought up. I dunno, it was a little weird. Otherwise John was a pretty great guest.
Friends can rip each other, I have a few people I have that dynamic with.

Teeth

Really smart and on point stuff about the latest Tomb Raider from friend of GB and resident GAFer Cara Ellison:

http://caraellison.tumblr.com/post/94915454500/completed-the-latest-tomb-raider-for-the-third-time

This is the quintessential Video Game Journalist 2.0 analysis if I've ever seen one. Complain about how terrible the new game is, then, spend 9 of your 10 points going on about how you would fix it with thematic elements and to how they ground the character, set the appropriate mood, and create narrative weight.

Spend one line saying "hire good level designers and artists". Oh, and make the puzzles rock hard.

Game analysis by English majors and film studies majors. No one knows what makes games good, but sure can tell you how to frame it.

Mully

I never watched TNT, but between the Dead Island episode and the following Gears 3 one, I'd say I found my new "in the background," thing.

Flambe

I never watched TNT, but between the Dead Island episode and the following Gears 3 one, I'd say I found my new "in the background," thing.

=] Dead Island is the one that got me into the Giant Bomb crew. Probably haven't seen a lot of good content from before which is unfortunate. I'm going through their Extra life stuff slowly but surely.

justjim89

Dan and Alex saying they sat down with Pat Fucking Patterson at the bar and talked for an hour.

I sincerely hope they recorded some part of it. Pat seems like a fun dude to drink with.

Wtf is Brad smoking when he says that they are re-rendering the backgrounds for "remastered" REmake and that the screenshots look pretty good.

Carachan

Neo Member
This is the quintessential Video Game Journalist 2.0 analysis if I've ever seen one. Complain about how terrible the new game is, then, spend 9 of your 10 points going on about how you would fix it with thematic elements and to how they ground the character, set the appropriate mood, and create narrative weight.

Spend one line saying "hire good level designers and artists". Oh, and make the puzzles rock hard.

Game analysis by English majors and film studies majors. No one knows what makes games good, but sure can tell you how to frame it.

Actually, the latest TR was my top game of 2013 on Giant Bomb, so I was absolutely not complaining about TR 2013?! It even opens with 'there is virtue in moving on'? GoL proves you can have a puzzle orientated game run alongside whatever is already being made. A survival horror strand would be great.

I am not going to spend my entire day writing out a design document or listing any game development experience I have. It's a tumblr post.

Zaph

I am not going to spend my entire day writing out a design document or listing any game development experience I have. It's a tumblr post.
You've just written your first 'Brad' post. Get comfy, the tea and bikkies in the back. GAF is now part of your routine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, the latest TR was my top game of 2013 on Giant Bomb, so I was absolutely not complaining about TR 2013?! It even opens with 'there is virtue in moving on'? GoL proves you can have a puzzle orientated game run alongside whatever is already being made. A survival horror strand would be great.

Right, and you know what, I doubt anyone expects you to. But if you don't have the time to completely address an issue, remember: we can't read your mind. Like you said, it's a tumblr post --- you probably didn't spend much time reviewing, editing, referencing or otherwise comprehensively covering the topics you brought up. You made an emotional argument and got an emotional response. And you're surprised?

Renpatsu

Right, and you know what, I doubt anyone expects you to. But if you don't have the time to completely address an issue, remember: we can't read your mind. Like you said, it's a tumblr post --- you probably didn't spend much time reviewing, editing, referencing or otherwise comprehensively covering the topics you brought up. You made an emotional argument and got an emotional response. And you're surprised?
Eh, for what it's worth I thought that post was pretty succinct and thorough as a point by point rundown of the primary creative decisions to set up a new Tomb Raider game that doesn't overhaul the entire legacy of the games before it.

if you see "tumblr" in the URL, that's your cue to probably not expect a dissertation from whoever's blog it is, regardless of length + specificity

if you don't, that's on you, imo

Goldmund

Wtf is Brad smoking when he says that they are re-rendering the backgrounds for "remastered" REmake and that the screenshots look pretty good.
Just another piece of the puzzle. Brad is blind. The entire time we were making fun of his skills -- sparked again and again by his unrelenting defiance -- every mocking word mapped out a path he could follow to give the appearance of relying on eyesight. He can only know what he is told. His faculty of hearing is a hundred times more sophisticated than that of a regular person, just think of his singing voice -- and how he downplays it, he didn't want to be found out.

Renpatsu

Just another piece of the puzzle. Brad is blind. The entire time we were making fun of his skills -- sparked again and again by his unrelenting defiance -- every mocking word mapped out a path he could follow to give the appearance of relying on eyesight. He can only know what he is told. His faculty of hearing is a hundred times more sophisticated than that of a regular person, just think of his singing voice -- and how he downplays it, he didn't want to be found out.
Smells like a new premium series where Brad plays games blindfolded while everyone else attempts to guide him to success with only their voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom