• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Is Giant Bomb basically The Simpsons? Have they done it all already?
I take it back. I smell an anniversary edition premium series where Brad plays games blindfolded while everyone else attempts to guide him to success with only their voices.

Brad Plays Twitch Plays Pokemon?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the UPFs were labelled better. Why not put the game names in the title?

Zaph

I wish the UPFs were labelled better. Why not put the game names in the title?
Giant Bomb desperately needs a community based tagging system that links to the wiki. Mods and voting could easily curb abuse.

Could you imagine how throughly labelled all the podcasts and videos would be if they had tagging all these years? It's kinda odd how much work went into building the Wiki CMS, but how little it's connected to the rest of the site.

daydream

Banned
Well, the games are tagged in the sense that the videos they appeared in are added to the game page. Look up the game pages for the stuff that they played in the recent UPF, for example. The UPF is already part of the Videos tab.

They would only have to make those associations visible somehow on the actual UPF page.

Volotaire

I'm not too familiar with the Spookin' with Scoops videos, but I didn't like how the P.T. video started with the 'last night on Spookin' with Scoops'. Those kinds of images are partly uncomfortable for me since I'm squeamish. Some might say, 'what do you expect from horror related videos'. But those opening images were especially grotesque and unsettling. I can handle a lot of videogame violence, but when it shifts to film, I try and avoid it.

Strax

Also, I'm in Reykjavik, Iceland now, and it's as amazing/weird as the Iceland video made it look.

Welcome, I'm guessing you already tried Bæjarins Beztu?
IMG_4718-baejarins-beztu-pylsur-670x446.jpg

I bet that would be a really good trackball game.
Hmm, not sure. The stick on the cabinet controlled movement horizontally and hat scrolling vertically. I feel like a track ball would feel too imprecise because of that, but I don't use them often.

Wonder if you could use fighting sticks to recreate that feeling.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think this is the first weekend since dan and jason joined where there is no content.

I blame wrestling. Wrestling is truly an evil of society.

QLs for AR-K and Akiba's Trip were my favourites from the past week.

FYI I'm on my second playthrough of Akiba's Trip. That first chunk of the game is a poor representation of the game as a whole. Once you get a weapon you like and the world is open to you, it's just lots of beating people up and enjoying Akihabara.

The stuff that Jeff liked ("I want to like this, it seems really dumb") is allll over the place once you get past what is essentially the tutorials.

Goldmund

That Silent Hills QL made me really angry. He's constantly ruining it for himself by asking the chat what to do and eventually complains about the game no longer being scary and having devolved into a pixel hunt, being boring and making no sense. With this method (not paying attention, or worse: not wanting to pay attention) you can turn virtually every game into a tedious exercise.

In his defense (and this is a mild defense because I think it's a poor QL), the game went from being so scary I nearly had a panic attack to routine pixel-hunting after about an hour or so of my playthrough. That's actually kind of the game's fault in a lot of ways. But it's hard to complain about a free thing that was pants-shittingly terrifying for a solid hour or so.

BearPawB

Banned
That Silent Hills QL made me really angry. He's constantly ruining it for himself by asking the chat what to do and eventually complains about the game no longer being scary and having devolved into a pixel hunt, being boring and making no sense. With this method (not paying attention, or worse: not wanting to pay attention) you can turn virtually every game into a tedious exercise.

the game is super tedious.
At several times during the demo you have to press a button/do something that you didn't even know you could do.

the game DOES devolve into a pixel hunt/people are still confused about how to get to the ending. But again, that was the point. They wanted people to get together and discuss how to finish it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I think Kojima had pretty much said that the game itself is being deliberately obtuse so that people won't know that it's a silent hill teaser without collaborating with others, which is pretty much 90% of the PT thread on gaf. Which is why he was surprised that it was solved within a day.

So I'd say that went exactly as designed, eh?

Solved by one person even. That lady who was streaming it only had like 3 people watching the stream live. It was fun watching her piece together the puzzles. She definitely did a better job than I did. I was stuck in that red hallway for like 20 minutes.

Goldmund

I'm not saying that part isn't a pixel hunt, or that the game isn't obtuse, -- but not without reason. You're in an environment where looking for something so small with almost no hint is exactly what you don't want to do, you don't want to stare at every little thing as you'll start to read sense into the accidental and get frightened, you'll connect what's not related, you conceive a monster much scarier than what you'll ever see.

Alucrid

Banned
I think Kojima had pretty much said that the game itself is being deliberately obtuse so that people won't know that it's a silent hill teaser without collaborating with others, which is pretty much 90% of the PT thread on gaf. Which is why he was surprised that it was solved within a day.

So I'd say that went exactly as designed, eh?

i feel like whenever developers think that it'll take "x" amount of time for people to do something in a game, they're always wrong

the game is super tedious.
At several times during the demo you have to press a button/do something that you didn't even know you could do.

the game DOES devolve into a pixel hunt/people are still confused about how to get to the ending. But again, that was the point. They wanted people to get together and discuss how to finish it.

eh, the only part i ever really got stuck at was the ending. otherwise i was able to make it up through there on my own in just an hour or two

Dragon

Banned
PT was purposefully hard because they wanted it to be to announce a new Silent Hill. It is pretty arbitrary but frankly while I agree PK was a bit all over the place I will always applaud him for looking at games the rest of the staff couldn't be bothered with.

Hell I tried hyping up Legend of Heroes when it went on steam and he favorited it. Surprised GB hasn't done something with that. I mean they did that Akiba game which is way more nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom