• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google/YouTube buyout of Twitch now complete (VentureBeat Sources)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VB has a solid track record with this kind of stuff in my experience.

VB said:
Google has reached a deal to buy game livestreaming firm Twitch for $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the matter.

We don’t know everything about this deal, such as when it will be announced and the exact purchase price. We do know that investors who participated in past rounds are pleased that they will be getting significant returns that are multiple times the amount they originally invested.
The deal underscores the value of live Internet streaming and the rise of competitive gaming as a spectator sport — something that draws millions of viewers, can offer prize pools that surpass pro golf’s marquee events, and provides a multibillion dollar opportunity for advertisers.

Google and Twitch declined comment. Both companies happen to be speaking at our GamesBeat 2014 event in September. This deal was first cited by unnamed sources from Variety said back in May that Google had made an all-cash offer and that the deal could be announced soon.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/24/g...confirmed-joins-youtube-for-new-video-empire/

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A billion dollars, damn. That's way more than Bioware and Pandemic together.

Nokterian

repost..

confusedg9uyf.gif

Well that's the end of twitch then...i for see shitty implemented stuff like chatroom changes,Content ID etc.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
What does this mean for us people who enjoy to watch streams and occasionally stream their own gameplay?

Content ID's everywhere? The death of Let's Play's?

I have no idea what will change and why the other posters in the last thread were so worried about this.

Syf

Banned
I'm just worried they're going to try to force g+ integration to chat or something. Content ID could potentially be trouble too. Hell, so much of this could be trouble lol.

manual4

Banned
IT would not surprise me if they integrate twitch onto YouTube, so that when you live stream and archive it will be on youtube aswell

It will be interesting to see how they will change Twitch or even make significant changes at all. They might break away from the gaming focus of Twitch and make it more open to other mediums to have streams. Twitch is already a household name, so changing the name is very unlikely. What should improve are the quality of the streams as now Twitch is going to have Google behind them much like how Oculus has Facebook behind them.

gngf123

I'm just worried they're going to try to force g+ integration to chat or something. Content ID could potentially be trouble too. Hell, so much of this could be trouble lol.

Content ID would be a bit more than trouble.

Hitbox.tv looked decent the last time I checked it out, but few people seemed to be using it.

Google is going to own everything eventualky. Don't know how to feel about this. On one side, maybe it improves Twitch.... but on other it might mean BS like Google plus getting entwined.

Einbroch

Banned
If Twitch is already profitable, which I would guess it is, I would think that Google would be pretty hands-off. Maybe some YouTube integration in Twitch, maybe they just wanted the technology, patents, or userbase.

I just don't see Twitch changing that much because of this.

Expect Twitch to go to shit pretty soon, or close outright.. every service that I liked and was eventually acquired by Google was either ruined or closed.

EDIT:

also they'll tie in their shit little google + into everything to do with twitch, heck you'll probably need a google + account to log in....

Persona7

Banned
The one thing I hate about twitch is how it randomly deletes old broadcasts even before they made all those changes about the how you have to specifically go in and save them. If this means they never go away, I will love it.

I've been trying to access some old broadcasts and they are just gone from the server even though it says they are still there.

Ambient80

Our first act should be to totally overreact even when it still isn't actually confirmed. /s

I would think Google would be smart enough not to use content ID stuff on twitch if it's going to completely kill the service. Why would they intentionally destroy it? Twitch doesn't really directly compete with YouTube or any other Google service.

AppleMIX

Our first act should be to totally overreact even when it still isn't actually confirmed. /s

I would think Google would be smart enough not to use content ID stuff on twitch if it's going to completely kill the service. Why would they intentionally destroy it? Twitch doesn't really directly compete with YouTube or any other Google service.

They probably use content ID for music.

The reality of this deal is 100% dependent on Google deciding to apply their draconian ContentID philosophy to all of Twitch's streams. They can't be clueless enough to not know that's what murders their $1B golden goose - but I also don't see how they justify keeping one pure, while continuing to enforce the policy on YouTube.

I'm still on the side of "No panicking until the facts present themselves.". I'll assume I'm in the minority in this thread with that opinion.

Fjordson

Praying they don't fuck things up. I don't have any sort of professional interest in Twitch, but I do have watch streams on there quite a bit. Really great for watching online games like WoW and MOBAs. Just need to continue to let streamers do their thing.

Top Bottom