• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 04.02: "The Lost & Damned" (!!Official Thread!!)

Tobor

firehawk12 said:
The loss was on the GPU/CPU and other components. They "accessorized" the HDD in order to make money off of people who bought Core units so I'm sure even if they did subsidize the cost of the HDD in Pro units, that wasn't the majority of where the loss went.

I mean, you could also argue that they lost money on including a hybrid component/composite cable, when in reality they probably cost a few dollars to make.

Doesn't matter. It was sold at a loss including a 20GB drive. Adding a larger drive = larger loss. You guys know they factor this stuff down to the penny. If you can show me some info that shows a larger drive costing the exact same amount as the smaller one in bulk, I'll yield the point.

Time to end this derail anyway.

ascully

I loved GTA4 (just finished a second play through this time on the PC version) I am absolutely hyped up for Tuesday. Seems I am one of a select few though. I am really surprised people are not talking it up more, I mean its more GTA whats not to love.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I found out that tax is charged on the retail Lost and Damned codes.

That's pretty stupid. So you basically have to pay tax to get a silly map, a gold trial, and a cardboard box.

bathala

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
They estimated "1/3rd the length of GTA4" for the main story, so probably 8-12 hours depending on your speed.
well if its like that. 1600 well spent then

I back off from Fallout DLC. 3hrs long

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
ZealousD said:
So I found out that tax is charged on the retail Lost and Damned codes.

That's pretty stupid. So you basically have to pay tax to get a silly map, a gold trial, and a cardboard box.

AMAZON.com fool!

GTA Lost & Found + a free 3 month Live card with no tax & no shipping cost!

edit: unless you live in NY :)

Tokubetsu

ascully said:
I loved GTA4 (just finished a second play through this time on the PC version) I am absolutely hyped up for Tuesday. Seems I am one of a select few though. I am really surprised people are not talking it up more, I mean its more GTA whats not to love.

You probably missed it but the GAF GTAIV backlash was...the stuff of legends. There are people here who pretty much hated every aspect, from the driving, to the phone to just about everything in between. Pretty much everyone posting in this thread is all that's left that actually liked/loved/enjoyed GTAIV. Even still, there are haters afoot.

Dabanton

'Grand Theft Auto IV' Expanded Soundtrack Features Busta Rhymes, More
'Lost and Damned' episode offers new hip-hop and death-metal shows, plus new songs on existing radio stations.

By Stephen Totilo

Radio is alive and well — and getting a major upgrade — in next week's "Grand Theft Auto IV" episode, the downloadable-only Xbox 360 exclusive: "The Lost and Damned."

Rockstar Games music supervisor Ivan Pavlovich broke down the details and even gave MTV News a sneak listen to one of the episode's most radical radio innovations during a telephone interview last week.

"Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned" is already adding 10 to 20 hours of gameplay focusing on the exploits of new playable character, biker Johnny Klebitz. But why stop there?

Four of the "GTA IV" radio stations are getting new music.

Hip-hop station the Beat 102.7 is gaining a new show of popular hip-hop DJed by Funkmaster Flex and headlined by two new Busta Rhymes tracks. One of them, "The Conglomerate," features Young Jeezy and Jadakiss.

The Beat is also getting a show DJed by Statik Selektah, featuring all hip-hop recorded and mixed specifically for "GTA." One of the headliners there is Freeway, who told MTV News that Selektah asked him to get into the game. "I was excited when I was approached about the opportunity," he said over e-mail. "I used what I know about the past 'GTA' games and just put my own twist on it." His song is called "Car Jack."

Liberty City Hardcore is gaining a new death-metal show DJed by Max Cavalera of Sepultura and Soulfly fame. Among the artists featured will be Bathory.

Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 is getting new rock songs, with Iggy Pop returning as the DJ.

Radio Broker, the indie-rock station DJed by Juliette Lewis, is also getting new music.

Pavlovich won't reveal the exact number of new songs in the $20 expansion, but he did explain the motivation for what was added. All the new rock and metal is designed to suit the mood of the episode's story, one that chronicles the adventures and stresses of a Liberty City motorcycle gang. "This really focuses on biker songs and a little more aggressive songs," Pavlovich said.

The new hip-hop was added because the Beat had proven to be the most popular "GTA IV" radio station. The approach with Flex was to provide hip-hop that has more of a national appeal than the New York-focused shows of original Beat DJs Mr. Cee and Green Lantern.

Rockstar has programmed "The Lost and Damned" to make sure the new music gets attention. The new rock songs will be weighted to play first in the otherwise-random mix on those stations. The new Flex, Statik Selektah and Cavalera shows will play in blocks, before the original shows on their respective stations get their turn in rotation.

Pavlovich and his team have pulled some other tricks too. They've got Funkmaster Flex doing a phone interview with Busta Rhymes on the Beat. Pavlovich played a version of the conversation for MTV News over the phone, explaining that it was essentially a freestyle interview conducted between the two hip-hop icons. Busta talks about holding down hip-hop for Liberty City and plugs his real-world album. They banter a bit and intro one of Busta's new songs. Pavlovich said that Flex had a lot of fun with his recording session for "The Lost and Damned." The DJ even spoofed his real-world rant about R. Kelly, but how that one goes down won't be revealed until you play the game for yourself.

All of the music in the "The Lost and Damned" will be linked to iTunes, Rockstar's new partner for "GTA IV" music. Players can hear songs in the game, tag them and find a list of their marked songs on Rockstar's Web site, ready for iTunes purchase. Rockstar had launched "GTA IV" last year with a similar deal structured through Amazon's music store.

All of this music is exclusive to Xbox 360 games, because "Lost and Damned" itself is not coming to the PlayStation 3. It and a second upcoming "GTA IV" episode are Xbox 360 exclusives. "The Lost and Damned," which is rated M, will be available for download through the Xbox Live Marketplace on February 17. It requires a copy of the original "GTA IV" game.

Very nice choices.

link

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I love radio broker that's my favorite station.

Any way are there going to be checkpoints during the missions?

That is the only reason I have not finished IV, dying in a mission or not being able to escape from the cops in time really pisses me off.

I'm getting too old for that kind of frustration

Doytch

I was kind of meh on this for a while. Maybe I got caught up in the backlash - even though I never really participated in it, it sort of made me doubt if I remembered it correctly. I'm definitely getting excited about this though. It sounds interesting, and new songs are nice too. :D Anyone know if they'll also be available if you're playing as Nico in the OC?

Hopefully I'll get tuned into some new music this time. The only band I didn't know and actually looked up after GTA IV was !!!.

Sandman42

Wizpig said:
Can anyone help me remember when and where in GTA4 were "The Lost"?
I remember hearing about them, but...
They were all over the game. But I think the first time you meet them is early in the game where Mr. Faustin wants you to kill his daughter's biker boyfriend. That boyfriend is Jason Michaels, a character in Lost and Damned.

Wizpig said:
Can anyone help me remember when and where in GTA4 were "The Lost"?
I remember hearing about them, but...

Johnny is with you during the museum diamond exchange gone wrong.

There is also a mission where you have to go teach a biker a lesson for messing around with some guys daughter.

And there is also a mention from Roman that a biker was responsible for his kidnap.

(I forget the specifics sorry)

FrankT

Ah yea, awesome new trailer.

giuliu said:
any predictions on sales gaf?
this will be track by npd right? since there is a sku at retail.....

I don't think this will be tracked like a traditional boxed retail game, and there is no way to track direct downloads. If we are to get solid numbers it's going to have to come from either MS or TT.

Jtyettis said:
Ah yea, awesome new trailer.

I don't think this is will tracked like a traditional boxed retail game, and there is no way to track direct downloads. If we are to get solid numbers it's going to have to come from either MS or TT.

At least none of them will be shipped not sold.

;D

adelante

BenjaminBirdie said:
WOW, is that the mob dude's Junkie Sister?!?!

Oh my god, seriously, Grand That Auto IV wins SO FUCKING HARD.
Lol I know it ties a lot of things back to GTAIV but its no Lost!

I've been in R* London a couple of days ago to playtest the multiplayer modes, and some of them are really really funny :D They made great efforts do distinguish the online play and create something original... and believe me, a couple of them *are* original.

You'll start to read more details around in one hour, when the embargo will lift.

adelante said:
Lol I know it ties a lot of things back to GTAIV but its no Lost!

:p

I don't mean like "ZOMG CONNECTIONS" I mean like "Wow, that awesomely subtle exchange in the last twenty seconds of one cutscene will be expanded upon."

But I'm probably the only person on Earth who considers the cutscenes in GTAIV as the most legitimately, maturely cinematic in the medium.

FrankT

Spider_Jerusalem said:
I've been in R* London a couple of days ago to playtest the multiplayer modes, and some of them are really really funny :D They made great efforts do distinguish the online play and create something original... and believe me, a couple of them *are* original.

You'll start to read more details around in one hour, when the embargo will lift.

Finally, ah that sounds awesome as well.

Spider_Jerusalem said:

Rock.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But I'm probably the only person on Earth who considers the cutscenes in GTAIV as the most legitimately, maturely cinematic in the medium.

No you aren't. ;)

The cutscenes and dialogue and acting in GTA (outside of a few specific characters) were the best I've ever experienced in a game.

I have a feeling the lost and the damned will be more comic in nature to a degree though mixed with lots of violence of course.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
sionyboy said:
Johnny is with you during the museum diamond exchange gone wrong.

There is also a mission where you have to go teach a biker a lesson for messing around with some guys daughter.

And there is also a mention from Roman that a biker was responsible for his kidnap.

(I forget the specifics sorry)

So I guess if you're like 50% done with the game and on the last island this DLC will be spoiler free?

I think i've already put like 47 hours into IV

Struct09

IGN's multiplayer hands on: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/953/953076p1.html

The first new game type we tried out was my favorite of the bunch. Called "Witness Protection," this mode is a team affair with one squad playing as The Lost biker gang and the other as the N.O.O.S.E. The goal of the N.O.O.S.E. is to deliver three state witnesses to the proper police stations while The Lost try to kill said witnesses. If you're playing as the good guys, one team member gets to drive the van with the witnesses making him the prime target while the rest of the team drives in cop cars. As I found out, it takes quite a bit of firepower to take down the van…and the van is pretty daunting when it starts trying to ram you and you're just chasing it on a small bike.

The next mode, "Own the City," is a GTA take on your standard territories match. Each team must try to take over as many territories as possible. There's just one catch: Each territory your team owns is populated by NPC characters to protect it while you're off taking over another.

The new race mode is a clear homage to the classic motorcycle game Road Rash. The goal is simple: travel through all of the checkpoints and reach the finish first. The catch is that everyone is on bikes and you can hold down the X or B buttons to charge up a baseball bat swing to knock the opposition on their tails.

The last mode we played is called "Chopper vs. Chopper." You can probably guess what that entails. The game is only played by two people, one on a motorcycle and one in a helicopter. If you're on the bike, it's your job to get to as many checkpoints scattered around the city as possible. If you're in the copter, all you need to do is kill the guy on the bike, either by shooting them down or embarrassing them by killing them with the copter blades. Once the player in the motorcycle is killed, the roles are reversed.

There is one more mode, but we didn't get a chance to try it out. This one, called "Club Business" has everyone playing as a member of The Lost. Different tasks are doled out that everyone will race to complete in order to gain favor with the gang. In the team-based version of this, Rockstar says you can gain money for your club by riding in formation.

Chinner

Banned
To be honest, I wouldn't be bothered if they kept the shitty lobby system as long as they fixed it so when I join a mutiplayer match I dont' get thrown back into SP or forced into being the host and waiting half an hour for nobody to join.

Quick question: If I choose to download this from XBL using a credit card, is it a complete pain in the ass to later remove the card in order to ensured i don't automatically get billed for stuff in the future (like XBL subscription renewals?)

I know about the whole amazon deal going on, but I just got a 13 month XBL card last month so at this point I'd rather get the game on its release date sans the 3 month card than wait the extra days to have it delivered from amazon.

Top Bottom