• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 04.02: "The Lost & Damned" (!!Official Thread!!)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dabanton said:
Are you serious? I'm in the UK and the card with the game on is £13. That's £13 for over 10 hours of missions, new songs and all new multiplayer modes there are full price games that don't offer that kind of value.
Totally serious. If it's a bleh story and the motorcycle gameplay isn't that improved, the guns are meh and the MP modes are crap, why blow money on it? There's really no reason for that if that's the case.

Plus, there's lots of games in my backlog and lots of titles I haven't bought yet that should blow my mind. And I have a tight budget.

What I want:
HL2E2, DiRT, SFIV, the new Tekken, ArmA, Empire Total War, Mafia 2, Alan Wake and so on.

And I REALLY want a decent PC racing wheel, a PC upgrade and Crysis on top, maybe the new NVidia goggles, a new monitor, a drawing pad, MIDI hardware, ...

I'm not rich, meaning I have to plan all those purchases carefully. That list above means a timeframe of 2 years or so, if I'm lucky that is.

If the expansion makes me splooge, I'll totally get it. That's not what it does right now, so I want to see how the reception is. I'd say I'm on the edge.

Chinner

Banned
Probably won't be that that big of a deal, but I wouldn't be suprised if in a weeks time we get some PR from Microsoft saying that The Lost & Damned is the fastest selling DLC yet to come on XBLM so far.

hiryu

I already beat GTA 4 on the PS3 but I picked up a used copy of the 360 version from Blockbuster for $15 so I can play the DLC. I'm really looking forward to it.

voltron

Yesterday I decided to go back to GTA4 and finish some achievements I missed and generally just get back into it for the DLC this week. Somehow I have done every single SP achievement for that game and I completely forgot:lol I was going to do stunt jumps but already done them, then chain reaction but already done etc and the list goes on. Was kinda confusing as I (still) dont remember maxing out those achievements.

On the subject of the DLC, does anyone have a precise size for the actual download file? Say 500mb or lower and Ill send you 50bux.

My shitty Australian Internet account has reached its download limit for the month so Im on 8kb/sec until the 22nd. If its 1-2gigs it will take me 24hrs+to download:(

kaskade

voltron said:
Yesterday I decided to go back to GTA4 and finish some achievements I missed and generally just get back into it for the DLC this week. Somehow I have done every single SP achievement for that game and I completely forgot:lol I was going to do stunt jumps but already done them, then chain reaction but already done etc and the list goes on. Was kinda confusing as I (still) dont remember maxing out those achievements.

On the subject of the DLC, does anyone have a precise size for the actual download file? Say 500mb or lower and Ill send you 50bux.

My shitty Australian Internet account has reached its download limit for the month so Im on 8kb/sec until the 22nd. If its 1-2gigs it will take me 24hrs+to download:(
The back of the box from Gamestop says 2 gb, sorry.

voltron

ThePeacemaker02 said:
The back of the box from Gamestop says 2 gb, sorry.

Damn :( FUCK!!!!!! :(

So what this Gamestop shit? Do you HAVE to buy the download code from a store? Is that worldwide? If so thats fucking ridiculous.

Justin

voltron said:
Damn :( FUCK!!!!!! :(

So what this Gamestop shit? Do you HAVE to buy the download code from a store? Is that worldwide? If so thats fucking ridiculous.

No you do not have to buy it from GS.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Proc said:
less than 24 hours for this, anyone else feeling the hype?

where are the reviews?
Yeah i would think people would be more excited. Garnet on the podcast seemed like he was surprised.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah i would think people would be more excited. Garnet on the podcast seemed like he was surprised.
When you operate like R* does when it comes to releasing media, garnering hype for some DLC that we know a bare minimum about isn't really a feasible thing.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is there a usual time that DLC is available for download, or is it just whenever the content is rolled out to the servers?

Everdred

Any deals on GTA4? $20 or so? I sold it after a week and really want to play through this expansion. I would prefer a new copy so that Rockstar gets more money.

8bit said:
Is there a usual time that DLC is available for download, or is it just whenever the content is rolled out to the servers?
I believe it's around 4am CST.

wmat said:
Totally serious. If it's a bleh story and the motorcycle gameplay isn't that improved, the guns are meh and the MP modes are crap, why blow money on it? There's really no reason for that if that's the case.

Well, I played all the MP (except the co-op mode), and I can tell you it isn't crap at all. I can see modes like Witness Protection and Own the City to be very successful online. I found the new weapons quite nice too, and basing on previous games, I', not expecting the story to suck. You're hypothizing the very worst, and IMHO higly unlikely, scenario.

Lebron said:
I'm just glad I'm not going to have to go out to a bunch of GS's on Tuesday hoping to see if any of them got it in on the "ship" date:lol
Just imagine if these companies got off their ass and this was standard operating prdocedure for all games instead of just whining about the used games market.

Gave the latest Major Nelson podcast a listen this morning, had an interview with Jeronimo Barrera on there. Pretty disappointed to hear they've done nothing with regards to the economics of the game, when Major asked him if they'd done anything in the game that allowed him to spend the massive amounts of cash you earn he seemed a bit uncomfortable before going on to say that the money you save in GTA should be regarded as a score... :/

I guess we'll have to wait for GTAV before we get the oppurtunity to buy houses, pimp them out and invest in a stock portofolio.

~Kinggi~

Banned
sionyboy said:
Gave the latest Major Nelson podcast a listen this morning, had an interview with Jeronimo Barrera on there. Pretty disappointed to hear they've done nothing with regards to the economics of the game, when Major asked him if they'd done anything in the game that allowed him to spend the massive amounts of cash you earn he seemed a bit uncomfortable before going on to say that the money you save in GTA should be regarded as a score... :/

I guess we'll have to wait for GTAV before we get the oppurtunity to buy houses, pimp them out and invest in a stock portofolio.
Yeah, seriously that is one thing that's missing from GTA 4 is real estate properties. Fable 2 that was so much fun.

JB1981

I wanted to buy this game but then I realized that I will need to upgrade my HDD for it. So basically, the game will cost me over $200 ......

Dabanton

Tons of MP pics. I like how they have improved the character models.

Is he shooting a grenade launcher there? I had heard that you could use them on the helicopter now as well.
mm4byc.jpg

dcr5es.jpg

sgh9a0.jpg

5p0q4z.jpg

xnc29s.jpg

j797d5.jpg

2iu44ub.jpg

2vcte21.jpg

2wc2o35.jpg

xmv1h2.jpg

r28duv.jpg

34sjade.jpg

aykkzb.jpg

azcvat.jpg

2iln2g5.jpg

2la33pk.jpg

FrankT

Rockstar development chief Jeronimo Barrera believes Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned packs a full game's worth of content and sets a new benchmark for downloads.

"There's nothing ever been out like it," Barrera told Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb podcast in the first of a two-part podcast interview (thanks, VG247).

"We've done a full game in my opinion, in terms of the production quality and the new gameplay mechanics. We've literally reached the maximum memory size that we can do for DLC with Microsoft.

"You're going to get a lot of game," he added, offering only "hours and hours" as a gameplay estimate.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned launches exclusively on Xbox 360 tomorrow for 1600 Microsoft Points (GBP 13.60 / EUR 19.20).

Players will become biker-gang boss Johnny Klebitz, whose story plays out separately to Niko Bellic's. The idea is that Liberty City houses all sorts of stories. And that, explained Barrera, is what sets The Lost and Damned apart.

"I find a lot of the time the stuff you can download to be more of an appendage to a game in terms of, you know, a new area opens up, or you can travel to another island, or something like that," he said.

"You know, it's cool, and it keep fans coming back, but [there's] nothing that's crossed story arcs and that's what we're trying to do, to push this, to deliver a new experience, and I think we've hit it right out of the ballpark."

Look out for our Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned review very soon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lost-and-damned-is-a-full-game

Rockstar feels this new DLC amounts to a new game. I would have to agree, and if the next episode is this large you are talking pretty much two new games. One other thing of note I had no idea 2gigs was the max amount allowed by MS for DLC as he mentions they went to the max with that. I don't think anything has run close to that either however. Shivering Isles was short of 1gig IIRC.

Psychotext said:
I assume there are going to be sites reviewing this... but does anyone have any idea when?

Good question, perhaps as early as today?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the _exact_ file size going to be? I've got 500 megs left on my 360. I'm going to have to delete some stuff, I'd just like to figure out how much. 2GB could be anywhere from 1.7 - 2.5 or so :p

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
What's the file size going to be? I've got 500 megs left on my 360. Something tells me I'm going to have to delete some stuff. :/

According to the back of the retail version, 2 gigs.

strange_booj said:
Any deals on GTA4? $20 or so? I sold it after a week and really want to play through this expansion. I would prefer a new copy so that Rockstar gets more money.

wondering this myself. anywhere that sells GTA4 360 cheap? or at least any confirmations that the DLC is coming to PC?

FrankT

Seems like Rockstar may have dropped the price to $40 right before the DLC hits. Not bad for new, and GS still has these for $30 used IIRC.

Oh I see Amazon has shipped my order, sweet. I still cannot believe they have yet to be able to restock after that deal sold out a week or so ago.

Tobor

JB1981 said:
I wanted to buy this game but then I realized that I will need to upgrade my HDD for it. So basically, the game will cost me over $200 ......

Just buy the 120GB drive. You know this large DLC isn't going to stop, it's only going to become more predominant, and if it isn't this game that does it, another one will. Buy it now and forget about it. That's what I did.

Plus, having all my games installed is fantastic.

Grecco

Linkzg said:
wondering this myself. anywhere that sells GTA4 360 cheap? or at least any confirmations that the DLC is coming to PC?

If you can find a copy in radio shack its 11.99 i think.....

also will it be available at 12am or 5am est?

Linkzg said:

I don't know if you have a Meijer around but I saw it for 24.99 not too long ago. I think the tag said "price cut" so it sounded permanent.

Grecco said:
If you can find a copy in radio shack its 11.99 i think.....

also will it be available at 12am or 5am est?

wow, gonna check a Radio Shack near my house later today. Hopefully they do have it.

Mac the KNife said:
I don't know if you have a Meijer around but I saw it for 24.99 not too long ago. I think the tag said "price cut" so it sounded permanent.

I'll see if one is around. Don't think there is one here tho.

Doytch

JB1981 said:

You could get a used drive also. Or do what I did and just get the 60gb starter pack with 3 months of live. My EB guy told me that I can buy a memory card, use it to transfer your stuff and return it for store credit, so that's what I did. In Canada though, so double check first.

Gravijah

Skimmed through the thread a bit and didn't see it answered, so if it was, please feel free to insult me.

I don't currently have internet where my 360 is. So if I were to pop off my HDD with my gamertag and such and brought it another persons 360 and bought the GTAIV DLC and such with my HDD plugged in, would it be tied to their 360 or would I be able to use it fine on my own?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Crows will become extinct if this has as much mission/cutscene content as it sounds like it does now.

Dabanton

Just finished that kikizo review. :D :D

The racing and driving based missions, and for that matter most of the driving throughout the episode, are significantly enhanced thanks to Johnny's bike, which is certainly the best bike ever in the series. You'd really expect nothing less in an update that's about a gang of bikers, but seriously, this bike is an absolute joy to ride, with an unparalleled sense of control at high speed that allows you to navigate the streets and many highly ambitious corners with a fantastic level of aggression and confidence. Some of the other new bikes have a comparable level of might, and players will soon find their comfort zone with these beautiful new machines.

Eurogamer review: 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-the-lost-and-damned-review?page=1

With a fulsome single-player campaign that will soak up somewhere in the region of fifteen hours of your time while threading in a genuinely memorable story, and a pile of new distractions, there's no question that Rockstar has raised the bar on what players should expect from downloadable content. This isn't the short burst of simulated history that Operation: Anchorage offered Fallout 3 fans, or the quirky asides of Fable II's Knothole Island. Instead, it's approaching the kind of package most developers would have few qualms about boxing up and selling to you full-price as an entirely new game.

While the company's talent with stories suggests the day may be approaching when GTA runs up against the inevitable limits of openworld titles - a Scorsese-quality narrative, where characters are happy to spend their time driving around in klutzish dodgem cars - for the moment, the trade-off still works. That's why, for now at least, you'll be more than happy to come along for the ride.

JB1981

Tobor said:
Just buy the 120GB drive. You know this large DLC isn't going to stop, it's only going to become more predominant, and if it isn't this game that does it, another one will. Buy it now and forget about it. That's what I did.

Plus, having all my games installed is fantastic.

for this game and the hdd i could buy another fucking system. that pisses me off

9/10 from CVG:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=208414

It's been a difficult task judging the Lost and Damned because really, there's no DLC package like it. The production, scope and sheer amount of content is equal to some full releases and Rockstar could've easily put it in a box and sold it for 20 quid. But it's not on the shelves and it's not more than fifteen quid, which makes it a terrific bargain.

Lost and Damned isn't a reinvention of GTA IV and nor does it bring anything terribly original to the mission formula. The first episode should thus be viewed as another greatly entertaining story in the vast and under-explored world of Liberty City, with some welcome team features and multiplayer content worth every penny paid.

Lost and Damned has set the standard for all DLC packages to come. We only expect more from the next portion of GTA DLC.

Top Bottom