• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 04.02: "The Lost & Damned" (!!Official Thread!!)

RBH

starchild excalibur said:
Quick question: If I choose to download this from XBL using a credit card, is it a complete pain in the ass to later remove the card in order to ensured i don't automatically get billed for stuff in the future (like XBL subscription renewals?)

I know about the whole amazon deal going on, but I just got a 13 month XBL card last month so at this point I'd rather get the game on its release date sans the 3 month card than wait the extra days to have it delivered from amazon.
I've heard alot of bad stories from people trying to remove their credit card info from XBL. I wouldn't recommend it, as MS's customer service is pretty shitty for the most part.

You're honestly just better off buying a 1600 MS pts card in-store and just using that to get GTA: L&D (or you could just wait a few days and get it on Amazon).

Either of those two options is better than using your credit card.

newsguy

I'm very excited for this. I've owned it since launch and recently beat it. I never go back to games after I've stopped playing them, but something about GTA makes me want to go back. Lost and Damned should be awesome, especially after hearing that motorcycle physics have been tweaked to be more forgiving considering you'll be riding them alot more.

RBH said:
I've heard alot of bad stories from people trying to remove their credit card info from XBL. I wouldn't recommend it, as MS's customer service is pretty shitty for the most part.

You're honestly just better off buying a 1600 MS pts card in-store and just using that to get GTA: L&D (or you could just wait a few days and get it on Amazon).

Either of those two options is better than using your credit card.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep my info off XBL then.

edit: bummer, amazon's out of stock. But wow at the 1 dude on the amazon marketplace trying to get $70 for it.

Struct09 said:

e5jz1t.gif

This wasn't on my radar at all but those MP modes sound awesome.

Walshicus

True story:

Popped into GAME on my way to buy late-morning smoothies for the team at work.
Noticed the Lost and the Damned case on the shelf for £14.
Didn't see a "Coming Soon" sticker so took it to the till in a hurry, hoping to get a nice download code I could redeem later in the evening.
Shop assistant asked me if I knew that the game was a download code only and needed a hard disk.
I knew.
Shop assistant started bagging up a different case with "1600 MSP" on the front.
Shop assistant told me I wouldn't be able to download until the 17th.
I walked away without having bought stupid re-packaged microsoft points.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mr_mcgregors said:
As someone who only owns a PS3, I'm super-jealous of XBox owners getting this. I really hope it's good
A little jealous for the MP portions. It sucks that the customer base is segmented like this though.

Sir Fragula said:
True story:

Popped into GAME on my way to buy late-morning smoothies for the team at work.
Noticed the Lost and the Damned case on the shelf for £14.
Didn't see a "Coming Soon" sticker so took it to the till in a hurry, hoping to get a nice download code I could redeem later in the evening.
Shop assistant asked me if I knew that the game was a download code only and needed a hard disk.
I knew.
Shop assistant started bagging up a different case with "1600 MSP" on the front.
Shop assistant told me I wouldn't be able to download until the 17th.
I walked away without having bought stupid re-packaged microsoft points.

Yes, in the EU all we get is a GTA4:TLAD themed 1600pt card, no download code and poster for us :(

Good to know that the shop assistants are asking those questions though, wonder if they've been sent memos from head office to ensure people know what they are buying, or it just happens to be a smarter-than-your-average-GAME employee.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've not been following all the updates so this could be old news but it looks like the site got updated with some more information about the new weapons and cars/bikes

http://www.rockstargames.com/thelostanddamned/weapons/index.html
http://www.rockstargames.com/thelostanddamned/vehicles/index.html

It looks like there's 6 new weapons, 15 new bikes and 3 new cars. One is a towtruck :lol

edit: also, there's some more information on the new music and interiors

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=music&content=updates
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=jousters&content=screen0

and achievements

http://www.rockstargames.com/thelostanddamned/achievements/index.html

Mrbob

I won't get this on day one, but I am happy Rockstar is delivering what is looking like a complete package. Hopefully this sets a new standard for DLC on consoles and other publishers/developers take note.

D4Danger said:
I've not been following all the updates so this could be old news but it looks like the site got updated with some more information about the new weapons and cars/bikes

It looks like there's 6 new weapons, 15 new bikes and 3 new cars. One is a towtruck :lol

and achievements

Thanks! OP Updated!

I LOVE THA SLAMVAN!

FrankT

D4Danger said:

and achievements

Just ran across some of this, good stuff.

bj00rn_

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
It sucks that the customer base is segmented like this though.

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me, but I kinda agree. But how plausible is that this kind of expensive-to-develop DLC would come to even the 360 if MS didn't fund the development? I don't know, but to me it kinda sounds like a risk (If it wasn't funded externally) that potentially could prevent it from coming out.

raYne

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you use these weapons in the normal campaign or is it just for L & D?
I'm going to go with no. Since it's loaded separately from the main game, there's no reason why the new content would be imported into the original.

Plus, the fact that they're all "Exclusive Features" kinda hints towards that.

bj00rn_ said:
Yeah, it doesn't matter to me, but I kinda agree. But how plausible is that this kind of expensive-to-develop DLC would come to even the 360 if MS didn't fund the development? I don't know, but to me it kinda sounds like a risk (If it wasn't funded externally) that potentially could prevent it from coming out.

At least now, assuming it does phenomenally well, which it ought to, it will inspire developers for all platforms to adopt the model.

ruxtpin

Banned
If anyone is interested, TIME magazine has actually a 2 page article (front and back of one page) about "The Lost & Damned." I just thumbed by it, but didn't read it yet.

BenjaminBirdie said:
At least now, assuming it does phenomenally well, which it ought to, it will inspire developers for all platforms to adopt the model.
Personally I prefer one big chuck of content rather than being nickled and dimed out little portions. (unless its map packs for a fps shooter). I prefer this approach rather than the Bethesda oblivion and Fallout approach.

Mrbob

BenjaminBirdie said:

Yes, I would be happy if xbox gamers start embracing (and demanding) a true expansion pack instead of the petty stuff which is on Live right now.

Personally I prefer one big chuck of content rather than being nickled and dimed out little portions. (unless its map packs for a fps shooter). I prefer this approach rather than the Bethesda oblivion and Fallout approach.

Shivering Isles was a proper expansion, but yeah, the way the Fallout 3 extra content is structured is disappointing. I'm getting it because I love fallout 3, but I hate being part of the problem of reinforcing bethesda to give us these short, half assed extras to a great game. Basing this off of anchorage.

bj00rn_

Banned
Stoney Mason said:

Well, while some were small, Shivering Isles was pretty damn big..

bj00rn_ said:
Well, while some were small, Shivering Isles was pretty damn big..

That's what I mean. Just give me one or more proper expansions rather than putting in lots of little piddling crap.

Of course the piddling crap method is probably more lucrative.

NG28

I'll probably be getting this even though I haven't finished GTA4. I'll probably get around to it though. I'm not very excited about the MP portion though, online was a lag fest.

Struct09

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you use these weapons in the normal campaign or is it just for L & D?

I believe it was confirmed that you won't be able to use the new weapons/bikes/cars in the normal game.

NG28

The thing that disappointed me the most about IV was the lack of awesome cheats to use while dickin around in the city. I wish they would have added a tank. :(

dextran

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep my info off XBL then.

edit: bummer, amazon's out of stock. But wow at the 1 dude on the amazon marketplace trying to get $70 for it.

Downloadable content is out of stock? MS must have given Amazon only a set number of 3 month passes. Still - strange to be out of stock. There's nothing physical to stock!

FrankT

dextran said:
Downloadable content is out of stock? MS must have given Amazon only a set number of 3 month passes. Still - strange to be out of stock. There's nothing physical to stock!

No it's an actual card they are shipping out. They have them at retail as well like Gamestop. I have had an order in early on with prime, and it shows it will be delivered by the 20th. Amazon simply must of sold out with the deal of the initial shipment.

339681ps_500h.jpg
[/QUOTE]

BenjaminBirdie said:

I would be pissed if they start adopting this model. Learn from Valve and do episodes, not DLC. Lost and Damned should be it's own game. I'd even be fine if they charged $5 more for a stand alone version of the game with a larger download size instead of requiring the physical GTA4.

Stoney Mason said:

difference between this and what Bethesda did is that those added to the existing games while this is more something separate.

Linkzg said:
I would be pissed if they start adopting this model. Learn from Valve and do episodes, not DLC. Lost and Damned should be it's own game. I'd even be fine if they charged $5 more for a stand alone version of the game with a larger download size instead of requiring the physical GTA4.

difference between this and what Bethesda did is that those added to the existing games while this is more something separate.

I prefer this model but that's just a personal opinion. I don't care for nickel and dime content even if it is incorporated into the existing game as I would prefer that content simply be saved for a full fledgd expansion pack.

As far as whether it fits into an existing game or is a separate, I prefer this model also but I can understand the argument that somebody would want it incorporated into their existing GTA 4 game save and world.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Totally gonna buy this depending on how well-received it'll be. I have high hopes, but am scared - mainly because of the pricepoint..

Buccket

Neo Member
wmat said:
Totally gonna buy this depending on how well-received it'll be. I have high hopes, but am scared - mainly because of the pricepoint..

I think 10-15 hours of gameplay for $20 is pretty decent.

Well unless something has gone seriously wrong at Rockstar, I'll be there Hour One. The points are sitting in my account ready, all I need to do is put GTA4 onto the hard drive and then I'll have a week of biking and mayhem.

Hooray for half-term! :D

kaskade

Quick question: If I choose to download this from XBL using a credit card, is it a complete pain in the ass to later remove the card in order to ensured i don't automatically get billed for stuff in the future (like XBL subscription renewals?)

I know about the whole amazon deal going on, but I just got a 13 month XBL card last month so at this point I'd rather get the game on its release date sans the 3 month card than wait the extra days to have it delivered from amazon.
Actually, they finally just let you remove your info without calling them and going through what is probably a way more complicated process than it has to be. I just found this out today, time to delete my info. Here's how.

adelante

sionyboy said:
Well unless something has gone seriously wrong at Rockstar, I'll be there Hour One. The points are sitting in my account ready, all I need to do is put GTA4 onto the hard drive and then I'll have a week of biking and mayhem.

Hooray for half-term! :D
I doubt they're gonna screw things up with this dlc, but if anything, I'm expecting to hear the same rant, criticisms, etc that "plagued" GTAIV from the same people who never really got into the latter. Sad, really.

adelante said:
I doubt they're gonna screw things up with this dlc, but if anything, I'm expecting to hear the same rant, criticisms, etc that "plagued" GTAIV from the same people who never really got into the latter. Sad, really.

I doubt it too, but I'll check the reviews just in-case there are any serious performance issues, crashing or 100% chance of RROD :p

12 more hours of GTA4 except this time with new weapons, better bike handling and mid-mission checkpoints. Few tweaks to mission structure and its a win in my book.

Lebron

I'm just glad I'm not going to have to go out to a bunch of GS's on Tuesday hoping to see if any of them got it in on the "ship" date:lol

Edit: around 2GB install? Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to delete some things.

Sean

Banned
ThePeacemaker02 said:
Actually, they finally just let you remove your info without calling them and going through what is probably a way more complicated process than it has to be. I just found this out today, time to delete my info. Here's how.

I tried that a few days ago and was not able to remove my (long expired) credit card using that method, so it's definitely a YMMV type thing. I'm in the US btw.

Dabanton

Linkzg said:

I like this model that R* are going with. Valve take much too long to get their games out.

It would have been a waste to jump to a new city i mean i still wander round liberty city and find places that i've never seen before, really the detail is staggering.

Does anyone know how much cheaper is it to deliver content through Xbox Live or PSN say rather than having disc copies on shelves?

Dabanton

wmat said:

Are you serious? I'm in the UK and the card with the game on is £13. That's £13 for over 10 hours of missions, new songs and all new multiplayer modes there are full price games that don't offer that kind of value.

Top Bottom