• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered |OT| Kat's out of the Vita

Oneself

Wow, that's definitely a game you need to play to truly understand and enjoy.
I went in with pretty much no expectation and came out very impressed from what I played.

Superb game so far, I will definitely pre-order the sequel ASAP.

Kill Screen did a wonderful little feature about Gravity Rush exploring Toyama's influences before turning into a love letter to the game's level design and shifting mechanics.

Great read:

FALLING THROUGH 100 MILLION STORIES IN GRAVITY RUSH: REMASTERED

Fascinating read, thanks.

Just got the Gravity Rush Preorder theme. Gorgeous theme... but that music got annoying so dang quick...
What happens if you turn off the dashboard music in settings?

Anyone else having problems getting that pitching trophy?

I shot 10 nevis point blank/never got hit but never got the trophy

Not sure if this will help, I think I got it in the second challenge mission, might be a good place to try.

Well, I purchased Gravity Rush Remastered and finally played it earlier today but im going to have to sell the game as all the flying around was making me dizzy and lightheaded. Only the third game to ever do that to me. Oh well.

Sorry to hear this. What are the other two, curiously?

Kill Screen did a wonderful little feature about Gravity Rush exploring Toyama's influences before turning into a love letter to the game's level design and shifting mechanics.

Great read:

FALLING THROUGH 100 MILLION STORIES IN GRAVITY RUSH: REMASTERED

I didn't realize the Moebius influence was that overt, but I definitely noticed it in the way the LOD becomes like a hand drawn sketch as you get farther away from the environments. Dying to see how they push the layering and density in the sequel.

Okay, finished up the trophies for challenges. Last ones are the stranger conversation, one more rift enemy, manhole and 2 more story quests. I'll probably wrap it up tomorrow and then do the DLC stuff after I play Firewatch.

Renpatsu

So I saw the PAL box art the other day and cringed as I suspect many of you did when you first saw it. I went ahead and made some custom cover art that you can print out to replace the original cover.

Special thanks to PaulloDEC for digitizing the concept art that I used for the background.

Click the image to be taken to the download links for a version with and without the blue PlayStation banner.

cafemomo

yeeee

mD58DWW.png

Carl

My UK retail copy came today :) I already platinumed it on PS4 via the Asia version but i had to buy it on disc. This is the third time i have paid full price for it but the first time i have bought a physical copy. Nice to finally have Kat on my shelf.

Footos22

Challenges are so easy on ps4 I could go for high score but it takes to long I literally have to keep her our of harms way and idle for over 2 mins on the fighting challenges.

Just completed the game and now I'm going for the platinum but I can't believe that this game ran on Vita and secondly they made it for the Vita instead of the ps3/ps4.

So many times this game surprised me with how vast it was even though you could fly. Compared to second son which seemed smaller cause of the neon powers and that games built ground up for the ps4

Ferr986

Just finished the game, and...

803bb03d0948687903d839d6828472e479ba6234.gif

I mean, I loved the game for sure but
so many unanswered things. It makes sense I guess now with the sequel but I can imagine people getting pissed off about it when the game was new on Vita. There seems to be a big chunk of story missing and the Dnelica plot adds basically nothing.

Well other than the somewhat lackbuster story I loved everything about it, gameplay, characters, world....

now off to do some side things (mainly those buffed Nevis and the lost travelers).

Auctopus

How do I avoid Ravens attacks under the city?

Like those blue hadoukens, what the fuck? Air dodge and blasting away doesn't work. Honestly, boss fights in this game are a huge fucking ball ache.

Edit: yeah fuck this, she's spamming the blue balls. I think the develops think their combat works better than it does.

Ogawa-san

Like those blue hadoukens, what the fuck? Air dodge and blasting away doesn't work. Honestly, boss fights in this game are a huge fucking ball ache.
Those are wide and you can't dodge far enough. Instead, start shifting (hold X to go faster) sideways/horizontally a bit before she launches them and you'll be clear.

wouwie

Bought the game on wednesday. I'm looking forward to playing it again. I wonder if i will like it as much as i did back then on Vita. Most fun part was finding and collecting all the purple thingies and meeting the travellers. And the soundtrack was divine (Sony didn't bother to put it up for sale on the EU store yet again...).

Why does this game have combat? It's really bad, especially in the air when your homing kick will just slide on by for no reason.

Moving around is a blast but pretty much everything else (story, combat, world design, mission design) is just flat. Seems more like a proof of concept for what could be a way better game.

Edit: yeah fuck this, she's spamming the blue balls. I think the develops think their combat works better than it does.

Try changing direction. If you expect to fly straight down then you'll never make it.

Mcdohl

Why does this game have combat? It's really bad, especially in the air when your homing kick will just slide on by for no reason.

Moving around is a blast but pretty much everything else (story, combat, world design, mission design) is just flat. Seems more like a proof of concept for what could be a way better game.

It's also a handheld title. Hopefully a lot of these issues will be addressed in the sequel.

Btw, you forgot to mention that art direction and music are pretty good as well. The game looks very pretty, both when staying still and in-motion imo.

Btw, you forgot to mention that art direction and music are pretty good as well. The game looks very pretty, both when staying still and in-motion imo.

Eh. They are both fine but not something I really care too much for. But yes the game looks good in motion and the camera works as you would want it to, which would utterly ruin the game if it didn't.

Against most airborne moving enemies you'll need to adjust your kick mid-flight to ensure it connects. This becomes very important with some of the larger flying enemies towards the end of the game.

Against most airborne moving enemies you'll need to adjust your kick mid-flight to ensure it connects. This becomes very important with some of the larger flying enemies towards the end of the game.

Yeah I do that and it still flubs a lot of the time. It would help if you had more then one combat option in the air besides your super moves.

A.E Suggs

Well it was a handheld game, the combat although bad was still fun for the most part. A lot of the game could be better but it was fine for how short it was.

Have you deactivated the gyroscope for the Dualshock 4? Moving it during battle can change where you will go and can mean you will miss your enemy.

Otherwise you need to attack where you can see the big pulsing red orb which usually means flying past the enemy then turning back around.

Have you deactivated the gyroscope for the Dualshock 4? Moving it during battle can change where you will go and can mean you will miss your enemy.

Otherwise you need to attack where you can see the big pulsing red orb which usually means flying past the enemy then turning back around.

Yup, I turned off the gyro controls instantly.

I wouldn't say it's bad combat, I actually find it pretty fun, but it is simplistic in nature. Though on the remaster I can actually use the slide kick, which I never really used on Vita, so that adds to it a bit.

I wouldn't say it's bad combat, I actually find it pretty fun, but it is simplistic in nature. Though on the remaster I can actually use the slide kick, which I never really used on Vita, so that adds to it a bit.

It's just like...you have no options whatsoever. You kick and dodge in big combat arenas against enemies with no personality or flair, and in the air you fly around praying your kick will land. That's not interesting or fun to me. Combat in a game so focused on movement and being in the air should be awesome but its not.

Just finished the game, and...

803bb03d0948687903d839d6828472e479ba6234.gif

I mean, I loved the game for sure but
so many unanswered things. It makes sense I guess now with the sequel but I can imagine people getting pissed off about it when the game was new on Vita. There seems to be a big chunk of story missing and the Dnelica plot adds basically nothing.

Well other than the somewhat lackbuster story I loved everything about it, gameplay, characters, world....

now off to do some side things (mainly those buffed Nevis and the lost travelers).

I think the final act was just the writer giving the player a taste of
time dilation
but with not a whole lot of thought put into it.

That was a mistake. That's on you, not the game. Also, gyro doesn't affect mid-flight trajectory, that guy is wrong.

Whenever I play a game with gyro controls it never sits well with me, whether it be how I sit when playing or hold the controller it just bothers me. I always turn it off instantly on PS4 and Vita and I have never thought the games would be better with them on.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Whenever I play a game with gyro controls it never sits well with me, whether it be how I sit when playing or hold the controller it just bothers me. I always turn it off instantly on PS4 and Vita and I have never thought the games would be better with them on.
They gyro resets to (your) neutral constantly, to wherever you're naturally holding it (unlike every other game) and only activates when you're in flight. You turn it off immediately, then how would you even know its impact on gameplay?

Shin-Ra

I think the gyro-camera control when 'falling' helps give the game its floaty anti-grav feeling.

And now I want a WipEout track through one of the floating cities in GR2.

They gyro resets to (your) neutral constantly, to wherever you're naturally holding it (unlike every other game) and only activates when you're in flight. You turn it off immediately, then how would you even know its impact on gameplay?

Yeah I played with it on for about 5 minutes, went "nope" and shut it off like every other game with gyro controls.

It's just like...you have no options whatsoever. You kick and dodge in big combat arenas against enemies with no personality or flair, and in the air you fly around praying your kick will land. That's not interesting or fun to me. Combat in a game so focused on movement and being in the air should be awesome but its not.

Yeah that's fair, I can easily see how that part of it wouldn't be for everyone.
I do have to wonder about the flying kick (gravity kick? can't remember what it's called), though, as it actually seems kind of forgiving to me and usually hits the enemies' weak spots even if my aim was a little wonky. Are you holding X while you are flying towards them? Makes you fly faster and maybe that would make less time for the enemy to move out of your way?

Yeah that's fair, I can easily see how that part of it wouldn't be for everyone.
I do have to wonder about the flying kick (gravity kick? can't remember what it's called), though, as it actually seems kind of forgiving to me and usually hits the enemies' weak spots even if my aim was a little wonky. Are you holding X while you are flying towards them? Makes you fly faster and maybe that would make less time for the enemy to move out of your way?

I'm not sure if X makes you faster after you've incited the attack, but I suppose you can speed up to get to them and then hit square when you get close.

I would actually argue that hitting the airborne enemies, especially the swordfish looking motherfuckers, is more dependent on timing it so that they dodge at nothing and then you go in for the kill. You gotta be patient is what I've found.

Evolved1

Yeah I played with it on for about 5 minutes, went "nope" and shut it off like every other game with gyro controls.
Well, as I said, that's on you.

This btw coming from someone who despises motion controls outside of this single exception.

I just got my PS4 and this game recently, so how does one shut off gyro? I don't remember seeing it in the in-game options.

Go into the options and there's a slider you have to turn all the way to the left. I don't remember what its called, something sensitivity.

Well, as I said, that's on you.

This btw coming from someone who despises motion controls outside of this single exception.

I actually like the Wii but have never liked Gyro controls.

Evolved1

I just got my PS4 and this game recently, so how does one shut off gyro? I don't remember seeing it in the in-game options.
Games don't even use it. This game, and what? Not much. BF3 had some opt-in gyro stuff, but it's incredibly rare otherwise.

Nyoro SF

Go into the options and there's a slider you have to turn all the way to the left. I don't remember what its called, something sensitivity.

Gotcha.

I really don't like the aimer twitching while I'm trying to fly.
I didn't mind the aiming gyro in stuff like Wind Waker HD, but this game I feel causes more problems than it solves.

Shin-Ra

I would actually argue that hitting the airborne enemies, especially the swordfish looking motherfuckers, is more dependent on timing it so that they dodge at nothing and then you go in for the kill. You gotta be patient is what I've found.
It's easier to get a couple of weaker close-range hits on the swordfish enemies than going for the big long-range attack, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if X makes you faster after you've incited the attack, but I suppose you can speed up to get to them and then hit square when you get close.

Hmm, guess I just assumed it would or I'm just in the habit of holding X as soon as I start flying regardless. Only problem with the above technique is that (I think) attacks are more powerful from far away.

Top Bottom