• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered |OT| Kat's out of the Vita

Aenima

Just finished the story. What an amazing game.
Still gonna do all the challenges, im not ready to leave this game that soon.

Ferr986

This game really needs a photo mode. Hopefully for the sequel.

I agree. And for what I remember GR2 does have a photo-mode.

Btw, managed to play a good chunk yesterday. Went pass a lot of cities, you barely stay there and the game moves you to another location.

Story seems a little rushed, and it has some bad (or more like cliche parts) like the school arc and
I just reached an underground town full of small kids. A bummer because I expected something really different after the weird descent through that creepy bone hole

Vendecentre looked awesome, I really want to go back up there again. Game certainly looks really good on ocasions for being a Vita game (or maybe it's because Bluepoint delivering).

I got gold on quite a few, but if I didn't get it after 2-3 tries, I'd just move on to keep the story going.

Funny story, I missed a tutorial on picking up objects with the circle button. I didn't know you could hold it to increase the size of the area/number of objects. So I actually got gold on all those horrible challenges with basically the same size sphere that you start with :(
I did not know you could do that!

Protome

I platinum'd this yesterday. Loved it even more than I did on Vita.

Making the controls for the Slide so much better than their crappy implementation on Vita made the ground combat so much more fun for me. I never used the slide kick on Vita because it was so awkward to do, but chaining it together with regular kicks, evades and even throwing things just added so much variation to the ground combat.

Which also had the side effect of making me really hate the aerial combat. I'm hoping they flesh that out a bit more in GR2, or at least force it less. Once you're in the air it's pretty much just "FLYING KICK, FLYING KICK, FLYING KICK, DEAD."

Also, for those going for the platinum. If a challenge is visible without feeding gems into a machine to turn on part of the city, don't bother with them. Those are the DLC ones. They're way harder and don't count towards the platinum so come back to them at the end of the game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just want to say that switching X and L2 worked out much better than I was expecting. Once you get used to it (confirming things in the menu is weird) but it doesn't break slide like I thought it would (I actually prefer it) and having boost on L2 is just too strong a benefit to go back to default. It made the third rift far less trouble than would've been otherwise. Having camera control while boosting (or "falling") is a bit OP tbh.

If you're struggling with challenges, I suggest maybe giving this a shot. It did take about an hour to rewire my brain to it though.

Evolved1

This
Raven
fight
in the pillar, and the pillar decent
in general... ugh. Another low point.

This
Raven
fight
in the pillar, and the pillar decent
in general... ugh. Another low point.

I don't remember having any problems with it.
I'm pretty sure the only goal is to reach the bottom, and it's pretty trivial to dodge any attacks. Just focus on falling at top speed.

Carl

I'm pretty sure the only goal is to reach the bottom, and it's pretty trivial to dodge any attacks. Just focus on falling at top speed.

Yup you don't actually have to really fight her.

Evolved1

I find it's the most difficult part of the game so far. I'd originally thought a previous fight was pretty bad, but in hindsight it was me being dumb. This one, I've legit failed a dozen times. I think mostly because it's long and I'm trying to rush through. Twice I was nearly through, but got reset (wtf at this) by the attack because I couldn't dodge it thanks to depleted meter - drained it just trying to get the fight over with. Caught me by surprise.

Idk, I'm honestly annoyed by this whole sequence. Don't really find it fun, it's way too long, and I think the game design where they restrict your power use, either significantly or completely, is something they're doing a little too often. I've never liked that type of design in games, and it keeps showing up in this one. As for this fight, resetting me is worse than killing me outright, at least death lets me start at full health. And I've never upgraded health, which is on me, but I expected a different type of combat difficulty... possibility of these long gauntlets never occurred to me.

I will likely get by on the next attempt later today. Usually how it works after making a "ah why is this so hard" post. Did want to comment on this section in general though, while it's on my mind.

Nameless

While I was already smitten with Gravity Rush the back half really stepped things up a notch, pretty across the board. Bigger combat sequences with more aggressive enemies, some of the most visually interesting areas in the game, as well as a
dark, sorta surreal shift in tone that I wasn't expecting after the light hearted first half. I really loved the 'Rise' and 'Fall' sequences too.
I can see how they could be decisive but they gave me an old school, almost Metroid-y feeling. Incredible atmosphere.

WarWolf

I find it's the most difficult part of the game so far. I'd originally thought a previous fight was pretty bad, but in hindsight it was me being dumb. This one, I've legit failed a dozen times. I think mostly because it's long and I'm trying to rush through. Twice I was nearly through, but got reset (wtf at this) by the attack because I couldn't dodge it thanks to depleted meter - drained it just trying to get the fight over with. Caught me by surprise.

Idk, I'm honestly annoyed by this whole sequence. Don't really find it fun, it's way too long, and I think the game design where they restrict your power use, either significantly or completely, is something they're doing a little too often. I've never liked that type of design in games, and it keeps showing up in this one. As for this fight, resetting me is worse than killing me outright, at least death lets me start at full health. And I've never upgraded health, which is on me, but I expected a different type of combat difficulty... possibility of these long gauntlets never occurred to me.

I will likely get by on the next attempt later today. Usually how it works after making a "ah why is this so hard" post. Did want to comment on this section in general though, while it's on my mind.

Why have you never upgraded health? That's just going to make things harder on yourself. A good tip is to raise health mid-mission to fully heal for any tough spots.

GeeTeeCee

I just completed chapters 12 through 17.
I hadn't planned on playing for that long but I really wanted to get back to the main city ASAP. I was rushing through the pillar descent mentioned above, and I only really got through by exploiting health upgrades.
This is further than I ever got on the Vita version before it got lost in the backlog.

Is it possible to revisit the town at the bottom? I skipped getting gold on the challenges.

Ferr986

I liked the
descent
, mainly because it was kidn of creepy.

An atmosphere that was kind of broken when (after that boss spoiler)
at the botton there's just a kid's city :/

sn00zer

These OK?

Edit: I took a few more without the waypoint and Nevi count at slightly different angles if you want me to post those too.
This game really needs a photo mode. Hopefully for the sequel.

Awesome....that area was the first inclination that the game was not going to be what I expected

Coda

Wooo! Just platinumed the game and it's my first Playstation Platinum Trophy ever!

And thanks for whoever said that the running problem I was having was probably the dead zone in my controller. I tried my Hori FPS Pad Pro controller instead and it works like a charm now.

Gravity Rush is really, really easy, to the point where it spells everything out for you.

What are you doing wrong?
Yeah, as much as I loved Gravity Rush, one of my few complaints is how easy it was. I really hope Gravity Rush 2 is more challenging. A harder difficulty option at least.

Evolved1

Gravity Rush is really, really easy, to the point where it spells everything out for you.

What are you doing wrong?
I never upgraded my health. If you think it's so easy, give that a try!

Couple health upgrades and I got through it next attempt, but try that shit with default health...

Finished this earlier and got the platinum this evening.

Never finished it on the Vita due to getting sidetracked by other things, but I'm really glad I got to finish this version. Very fun game and the new controls are such a big improvement. Can't wait to see where they go with the sequel.

Couple health upgrades and I got through it next attempt, but try that shit with default health...

I16N9g9.png

Astarte

I did beat it with default health. Game's not hard. The only time where I went "oh" is when I fought the green giant in the lava place but that was because I was being bad.

Evolved1

Okay, I don't know what to tell you, I was getting hit by at least one of her attacks in each volley. By the end of that I usually failed, until I upgraded the health. Difficulty is relative, and if you can get through that section with no upgrades, well congratulations, you're better than me at that part of the game. I'm afraid there's no prize to award for that honor though. I have no cookies to give out.

Okay, I don't know what to tell you, I was getting hit by at least one of her attacks in each volley. By the end of that I usually failed, until I upgraded the health. Difficulty is relative, and if you can get through that section with no upgrades, well congratulations, you're better than me at that part of the game. I'm afraid there's no prize to award for that honor though. I have no cookies to give out.
I had trouble too, until I decided to gravity slide down the entire length of the tunnel. The balls of energy get stuck on the ridges of the wall so they barely ever hit you this way. The camera will clip through the wall a bit and it made me a little dizzy, but I finished it easy enough with that method

Evolved1

I had trouble too, until I decided to gravity slide down the entire length of the tunnel. The balls of energy get stuck on the ridges of the wall so they barely ever hit you this way. The camera will clip through the wall a bit and it made me a little dizzy, but I finished it easy enough with that method
Hahaha... creative.

Coda

Sequel does look so much more fantastic...

ZeZ6YAG.gif

And the fact that you can just dive and fly now, a more efficient move altogether.
2Wh5y4A.gif

Evolved1

What's that stuff on her costume? Did she recently *poof* into existence out of a lamp?

Coda

^^^^^^^^^^
I see gems in the shipping container to the left. Gems that I need to get, like, yesterday.

Haha, game reminds me of Nights on the Saturn for that reason. It makes you explore off your objective and have fun with gravity. Now that I've platinumed it all I have is flying and throwing people and some gems.

Grisby

What's that stuff on her costume? Did she recently *poof* into existence out of a lamp?
You can switch between to fighting styles in the game. Lunar/blue, which is a lighter technique, versus Jupiter/yellow, which is heavier.

One of the ways they're trying to mix up combat I believe.

Hahaha... creative.
Hey, it worked! Game really did NOT like my approach though, I thought I might clip through the wall at a few points. Also, those GIFs of GR2 look incredible...I can't wait for the sequel. After playing the remaster its definitely become one of my most anticipated titles.

Evolved1

Jupiter gravity and Lunar gravity styles. Heavy and light toggles, basically, that change your speed, weight, attacks, etc, in addtion to the normal gravity shift.
Oh, that's cool. Just looks weird in a gif. The costume, Kat wrecking a robot-thing with some heavy recyclables looks awesome.

I was really struggling with that "get past Raven" section at first, seems like it's all based on audio cues. You hear a "huhhhh" and you get the fuck out of the way

Definitely one of the weaker portions of the game thus far (the other was the
twin headed dragon
boss just because the AI pattern seemed super jittery/teleporting and made locking on awkward

Grisby

Haha, game reminds me of Nights on the Saturn for that reason. It makes you explore off your objective and have fun with gravity. Now that I've platinumed it all I have is flying and throwing people and some gems.
Yeah, I plat'd it today too. Damn fine ride, and the fact that they have way more horse power for the sequel is exciting.

I might log back in to get a feel screenies, but I'm done with the game.

Evolved1

So in the sequel they're gonna let you straight-up fly? That surprises me if true. Not that I mind at all. Just figured it might be a little too direct based on the current flight style.

Kinda makes sense she'd learn to control it better with time I guess. You don't see Raven floating wildly like Kat. She seems to just fly normally everywhere.

Coda

Yeah, I plat'd it today too. Damn fine ride, and the fact that they have way more horse power for the sequel is exciting.

I might log back in to get a feel screenies, but I'm done with the game.

Yeah it was a really enjoyable game, definitely feel like GR 2 will feel more like playground with all the environmental damage.

Here were some recent details about it from December:

--The size of the field is 2.5 times that of the previous game. Background gimmicks and the number of missions have also increased. They’ve set a goal for 50 side missions.
--While it’s difficult to quantify the overall development progress, about 30 to 40 percent of the gimmicks have been produced.
--The game will have an “alternate dimension” that is abundant in variety.
--Panoramas and global feel are a couple of the thoughts that went into Gravity Rush 2. White clouds, blue skies, and such work well with the lighting processing of PlayStation 4.
--The main volume of the game is greater than that of the previous game, which lasted 20 to 25 hours. There will also be side elements available after you beat the game.

So in the sequel they're gonna let you straight-up fly? That surprises me if true. Not that I mind at all. Just figured it might be a little too direct based on the current flight style.

Kinda makes sense she'd learn to control it better with time I guess. You don't see Raven floating wildly like Kat. She seems to just fly normally everywhere.
Nah she still floats in GR2 (it's shown in the gameplay demo a few months ago). I think the reason why she's diving in that gif is because she's wearing the new lunar boots.

I don't think it's straight up flight, it's more like a low gravity glide. In one of the sequel videos you can see Kat charge a normal jump with the Lunar style toggled and it looks like a Crackdown Agent super jump. I'm guessing that gif is what happens when you jump horizontally instead.

And yeah, the wild anime free fall animations are still in the game, thankfully, because they look amazing and feel like you're playing a Hayao MIyazaki movie.

JTripper

Been playing this in short bursts since Tuesday and I really enjoy it. It's just fun to traverse around the city.

I made it to chapter 8 but spent most of my time just gathering gems and flying underneath and around the area. It definitely seems like a portable game in that the missions are short and everything you can accomplish can be done in short bursts. Typically that doesn't translate ideally to console (Birth By Sleep for instance is kind of a slog now and Danganronpa seems better in my hand than on a screen since I played it on my PS TV) but this is exactly the kind of game I want right now; one where I can just pop in and play for 20 minutes or so without feeling like I'm not making any progress.

Got the plat, my second one after all these years.
The other is also Gravity Rush ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sequel does look so much more fantastic...
ZeZ6YAG.gif

And the fact that you can just dive and fly now, a more efficient move altogether.
2Wh5y4A.gif
I really don't like the look of the stances, mechanically they look fantastic but idk looks like she got some big ole Kraft singles wrapped around her legs.

Coda

I don't think it's straight up flight, it's more like a low gravity glide. In one of the sequel videos you can see Kat charge a normal jump with the Lunar style toggled and it looks like a Crackdown Agent super jump. I'm guessing that gif is what happens when you jump horizontally instead.

And yeah, the wild anime free fall animations are still in the game, thankfully, because they look amazing and feel like you're playing a Hayao MIyazaki movie.

Yeah I believe it's a special move you can do but you can still just stop and shoot wildly in all directions still like the first game haha. Weaving in and out of buildings to get the daddy gems is so satisfying. You'd always see a new area with a ton of these and you were like, "Well I definitely have to go over there now too."

NMMsAFH.jpg

Just finished up my playthough, took a little under 10 hours. About 2/3 the time it took me to do on Vita. As much as I loved playing this on Vita it definitely controlled a lot better on PS4. Definitely getting the sequel day one.

The few gripes I had with the game were aside from the controls were basically the same ones I had with the Vita version. I would have liked a bit more variety in side content besides time trials and races. I would have liked more story based side missions (besides the ones that were originally DLC) that played out more like the one where you helped the two students in Pleajeaune. That one stood out to me since it was pretty much the only one that didn't feel like it was moving the plot forward in some way and instead trying to flesh out the world and other characters in it. It would have been nice to have more missions like this as side quests instead of the ones we got.

Top Bottom