• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered |OT| Kat's out of the Vita

Replaying this has me hyped so much for Gravity Rush 2. Only Persona 5 and Last Gaurdian may be more anticipated for me this year after playing this again. May those right zones are amazing.

The music! So good.

Hey if people always came off exactly how they let on all the time there'd be way fewer failed marriages. Anyway I don't think that's how that scene played out but whatever.

That's an interesting way to justify an adult going after an underage girl's breasts. But yeah, I realize I read it wrong now.

PaulloDEC

Stuff like this always strikes me as a weird thing to be bothered by. No different than dropping people off into the abyss or changing costumes in a fighting game imo. Almost like you dislike players having control of what they can do with their character.

I'm not against costume changes as a rule; if the choices are believable and sensible for the character, I don't have an issue. Earlier today I switched Lara's outfit in Rise of the Tomb Raider from a heavy canvas jacket to a lighter leather one. The weather had switched to warmer and rainy, so I figured it was a sensible choice.

Fighting games are another exception, because the characters aren't really characters. There's no question of "Would this character really act this way?" in a game that isn't story-driven.

So basically, choices in games where the characters aren't characters? Go nuts. Choices in story-driven games that don't make sense for the characters? I'd prefer not.

You guys have any tips for the second mission in the Military Pack? Shit is ridiculous. It's the only mission I have left to complete.

I'm not against costume changes as a rule; if the choices are believable and sensible for the character, I don't have an issue. Earlier today I switched Lara's outfit in Rise of the Tomb Raider from a heavy canvas jacket to a lighter leather one. The weather had switched to warmer and rainy, so I figured it was a sensible choice.

Fighting games are another exception, because the characters aren't really characters. There's no question of "Would this character really act this way?" in a game that isn't story-driven.

So basically, choices in games where the characters aren't characters? Go nuts. Choices in story-driven games that don't make sense for the characters? I'd prefer not.

Sounds very arbitrary and since costumes are a subjective matter, it would only limit those who feel differently than you if such a choice was taken away, while you are free to use a costume or not if it was optional. Especially since deciding what a "character" is up to the consumer, you can easily dismiss a fighting game character if you want, but games like MKX, Blazblue, and Injustice has lengthy story modes that give characters time to shine. I'm pretty sure Carl Weathers has no place in MKX's story but you can use that costume if you please. Even in Street Fighter there is media such as anime and comics that have personalities for a character and their quirks are usually displayed in the gameplay itself. Chun-Li has always been capable in the SF2 anime and kicks a lot of ass even in the Udon comics, but you can dress her up as a bird (well a phoenix) when they released the furry costume pack for USF4, even though it is pretty goofy.

Well anyways, I just started Gravity Rush, I'm really looking forward to actually making some real progress instead of short play sessions.

mindsale

Finished this yesterday and it was way more enjoyable than it was on the Vita. The real estate on the screen, the unique cityscapes popping, it's an improved experience.

That said, music and environments are the game's strong points. The action's pretty repetitive and as fun as the gravity mechanics are (once you increase their speed), I can't help but feel there's a better way to go about them. Still, I'm glad I replayed the game.

Beat the game on the Vita years ago and enjoyed it. I'm loving the remastered even more. Put in a full day with the game. Making my way to the platinum. Have all but one challenge with the gold rank. Now I gotta start working off the main story.

PaulloDEC

Sounds very arbitrary and since costumes are a subjective matter, it would only limit those who feel differently than you if such a choice was taken away, while you are free to use a costume or not if it was optional.

If I could click my fingers and remove the costumes from Gravity Rush right now, I wouldn't. It isn't my game, and I don't have that right. I just don't like them much.

Especially since deciding what a "character" is up to the consumer, you can easily dismiss a fighting game character if you want, but games like MKX, Blazblue, and Injustice has lengthy story modes that give characters time to shine. I'm pretty sure Carl Weathers has no place in MKX's story but you can use that costume if you please. Even in Street Fighter there is media such as anime and comics that have personalities for a character and their quirks are usually displayed in the gameplay itself. Chun-Li has always been capable in the SF2 anime and kicks a lot of ass even in the Udon comics, but you can dress her up as a bird (well a phoenix) when they released the furry costume pack for USF4, even though it is pretty goofy.

In the theoretical scenario where I were to play a fighting game with a keen interest in the motivations/feelings/backstory of the characters, it'd probably annoy me to have costume options available that felt more motivated by the developers wanting to give teenage boys wank options than offer interesting and in-character choices for the player.

The reality however is that I don't have any interest in the motivations/feelings/backstory of the characters in fighting games (on the rare occasion that I play them), and I daresay the vast majority of fighting game players don't either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even the developers of most fighting games themselves tend to include story stuff as more of a bonus than a central focus.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Not seeing a grope attempt. Not only does it not make sense contextually, but the scene doesn't bear that out when you examine the comic panels.

Costume options are just that, options. What an incredibly silly thing to complain about.

How dare people include fun extras in games. GAMES

In the theoretical scenario where I were to play a fighting game with a keen interest in the motivations/feelings/backstory of the characters, it'd probably annoy me to have costume options available that felt more motivated by the developers wanting to give teenage boys wank options than offer interesting and in-character choices for the player.

The reality however is that I don't have any interest in the motivations/feelings/backstory of the characters in fighting games (on the rare occasion that I play them), and I daresay the vast majority of fighting game players don't either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even the developers of most fighting games themselves tend to include story stuff as more of a bonus than a central focus.

The costumes I mentioned aren't even close to wank material unless someone really likes Carl Weathers and a bird costume. It's an optional, out of character thing that can be fun for the player.

And say what you will about story mode, but games such as Mortal Kombat have been making bank on them. I do agree that competing is the best thing about fighting games but it would be ignorant to disregard single player content since lots of people buy games for it. The MK games have been selling extremely well even though they have less competitors at tournaments compared to other games since the casual base is much larger than the hardcore. Even if you think the focus is elsewhere it would be foolish to disregard other audiences of the game.

PaulloDEC

Costume options are just that, options. What an incredibly silly thing to complain about.

How dare people include fun extras in games. GAMES

To each their own. When the costume options are nurse, schoolgirl and revealing catsuit, I just end up being like "Is this running theme really necessary?" It might be different if the costumes weren't primarily pandering to a certain crowd.

The costumes I mentioned aren't even close to wank material unless someone really likes Carl Weathers and a bird costume. It's an optional, out of character thing that can be fun for the player.

And say what you will about story mode, but games such as Mortal Kombat have been making bank on them. I do agree that competing is the best thing about fighting games but it would be ignorant to disregard single player content since lots of people buy games for it. The MK games have been selling extremely well even though they have less competitors at tournaments compared to other games since the casual base is much larger than the hardcore. Even if you think the focus is elsewhere it would be foolish to disregard other audiences of the game.

Fair call, I probably shouldn't make too many assumptions about fighting games. They're not my area of expertise at all.

And honestly, I have much less of an issue with the silly stuff costume-wise. I probably still won't use them if I'm invested in a character in a storytelling sense, but their presence isn't a problem for me in the way that the fetish-lite ones are.

To each their own. When the costume options are nurse, schoolgirl and revealing catsuit, I just end up being like "Is this running theme really necessary?" It might be different if the costumes weren't primarily pandering to a certain crowd.
Exactly, to each their own, that's why they are options. I mean originally they were even paid DLC.

And the maid and schoolgirl outfits are about the tamest, least sexual versions of those themes you could make.

Calling them "pandering" or "wank options" is pretty insane. They are cute outfits in a cute and lighthearted game. That's all.

PaulloDEC

Exactly, to each their own, that's why they are options.

And you'll notice that I said earlier I wouldn't remove them, even if I had the opportunity. The subject came up, I voiced my feelings. Not trying to start a revolution here.

And the maid and schoolgirl outfits are about the tamest, least sexual versions of those themes you could make.

Calling them "pandering" or "wank options" is pretty insane. They are cute outfits in a cute and lighthearted game. That's all.

I wouldn't call the ones in GR "wank options"; as you say, they're much tamer than that. I don't think it's a coincidence that three of the four available "cute outfits" happen to also have strong real-world sexual connotations, though.

Whether you like that, dislike it or feel nothing at all is entirely subjective of course.

Now I'm really hyped for the sequel. Never finished this on Vita but finally just beat in on PS4.
The part where you just start going way, way, way down below the city was such an incredible moment
. Such a great sense of scale.

I wouldn't call the ones in GR "wank options"; as you say, they're much tamer than that. I don't think it's a coincidence that three of the four available "cute outfits" happen to also have strong real-world sexual connotations, though.

You're right, but it's also worth noting that the catsuit is the only one that is actaully sexualized. And catsuits are intended to be sexy by their nature. Schoolgirl and maid outfits aren't. And that's how GR handles them. Those outfits in the game aren't handled in the sexualized way (most notably no zettai ryouiki). They could've done that, but I think it says a lot that they didn't go down that route.

As far as outfits go, they've said that GR2 will have a lot more. They're even kicking around ideas for Holiday themed costumes. But that just matches the rest of the game which is supposed to have a lot more content in general. They've recently noted that the soundtrack will be significantly larger as well. And more Kohei Tanaka is always a good thing. :)

As far as outfits go, they've said that GR2 will have a lot more. They're even kicking around ideas for Holiday themed costumes. But that just matches the rest of the game which is supposed to have a lot more content in general. They've recently noted that the soundtrack will be significantly larger as well. And more Kohei Tanaka is always a good thing. :)

CXBdT3UWcAADSQO.jpg:large

yes please :)

PaulloDEC

You're right, but it's also worth noting that the catsuit is the only one that is actaully sexualized. And catsuits are intended to be sexy by their nature. Schoolgirl and maid outfits aren't. And that's how GR handles them. Those outfits in the game aren't handled in the sexualized way (most notably no zettai ryouiki). They could've done that, but I think it says a lot that they didn't go down that route.

You're right, and I'm glad they didn't. That stuff might fit in a cheekier game, but GR never struck me that way.

As far as outfits go, they've said that GR2 will have a lot more. They're even kicking around ideas for Holiday themed costumes. But that just matches the rest of the game which is supposed to have a lot more content in general.

If the worst thing that happens in GR2 is the appearance of a few more vaguely suggestive outfits, I'll be a happy man. The fact that I'm talking about it at all probably makes me sound like Helen Lovejoy, but it barely registers as a minor annoyance in contrast with how much I love everything else in the game.

They've recently noted that the soundtrack will be significantly larger as well. And more Kohei Tanaka is always a good thing. :)

I'm usually one those people who doesn't "notice" music in games, but loads of tracks from GR are permanently etched into my brain. Can't wait to hear the new stuff!

CXBdT3UWcAADSQO.jpg:large

yes please :)

If that costume makes it into the game, I really hope there's a mission where you fly around delivering presents.

I'm usually one those people who doesn't "notice" music in games, but loads of tracks from GR are permanently etched into my brain. Can't wait to hear the new stuff!

If that costume makes it into the game, I really hope there's a mission where you fly around delivering presents.

I can immediately hum half a dozen songs from this soundtrack at anytime.

Also Kat as Santa would be awesome. Just stasis field a pile of presents and chuck 'em at kids. lol

jmaine_ph

Just beat the game and all the DLC. Holy crap. I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.

The story gets really deep and has you really thinking. I love the soundtrack for this game. Definitely going to look into getting a copy of it.

Moving around with the gravity powers takes some getting used to and some parts and missions I felt were really clunky but overall it's something that was unique and I want more of it. Bring on Gravity Rush 2!

Gryph

Had a blast replaying this on the PS4. I hope the sales are good. It's really a must have for PS4 owners.

Such a little joy of a game.

Sayers

Just defeated
Alias
and only now realized that there are upgrade screens for things other than the core powers. D'oh!

DKHF

This good news because even though the music in GR is amazing, hearing certain songs over and over again eventually got annoying. Mainly Old Town (despite being a really good song), but there's little that can be done to stop that when it's the music for the first town in the game where you spend a lot of time.

Wagram

Finished it this morning and I have to say that overall I would rate it a 8/10. It's very fun to play even though it is really easy. The ending was a bit disappointing considering there are so many questions with very few answers. Gravity Rush 2 is soon so hopefully some questions will be answered then.

BeeDog

Good little game, enjoying it quite a bit. As some have stated, the gravity mechanics are some of the most fun way to travel an open-world in a long time, if not ever. The combat is simplistic but enjoyable and Kat is a good protagonist.

Still, too many of Vita's shortcomings still shine through in this remake; the color palette feels ultra-limited, the interaction with the open-world is minimal (incl. physics and NPC interactions), the lack of voice-overs in this day and age is noticeable and there's not much to do in general. Despite all that, the foundation is really solid, and Gravity Rush 2 can built upon so many things to deliver a truly excellent game. Unless they fuck it up, that is.

Once my backlog has cleared up a bit, I think it's time to buy this and plat the game for a second time. What a gem.

Does this remaster include all of the DLC from the Vita original?

Ferr986

Good shit. Looking forward to playing it again. How are PS4 peeps who never played it on Vita finding the game?

Its very good and made me actually excited to GR2. Even if its sometimes limited in scope for being a portable title, game is really good, flying around is so fun, interesting art and Kat is awesome!

Still really early on it though, didn't had much time to play over the weekend.

Solrac

I just got the platinum, overall the game is good, sometimes remember a movie from Studio Ghibli, I'll drop my wishlist for the sequel.

- target lock
- better camara control
- better combat, I dont want a dmc/bayonetta but an improve for sure.

Grisby

Now I'm really hyped for the sequel. Never finished this on Vita but finally just beat in on PS4.
The part where you just start going way, way, way down below the city was such an incredible moment
. Such a great sense of scale.
Having beaten the vita version, I'm reminded how impressive the scope is when going through it on PS4.

Team Gravity did some amazing work.

sora87

Surprised so many people had an easy time with the plat, I couldn't do the gold challenges for shit on Vita, don't hold much hope for this version

Surprised so many people had an easy time with the plat, I couldn't do the gold challenges for shit on Vita, don't hold much hope for this version

I think the new controls help a lot. I thought the sliding challenges, for example, were kind of annoying on the Vita but they're a million times easier on the PS4.

Astarte

I'm enjoying this game a lot. The camera can be horrendously spotty at times but it's fun. It sort of reminds me of Resonance of Fate where the plot ramps up to 1000 towards the end but unlike Resonance of Fate I'm actually having a good time.

Oxn

That Fire zone face is sooo hard, im not even close to getting silver much less gold. Not sure how people are doing it.

Top Bottom