• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (New Album 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, I took a listen to most of the Lady GaGa album. If "I Like It Rough" isn't a single eventually, there are dumb people in the music industry.

Chojin

omg rite said:
blink-182 is back. Mark from blink producing the new Sum 41 album. The new New Found Glory album just came out (also Mark-produced) and it's great. And Green Day in May?

2009 = the return of pop punk.

Really?

:throws away all the Lillingtons, Teenage Bottlerocket, Queers, Descendants, Groovie Ghoulies, Chixdiggit, Vandals, Pansy Division, The Riverdales, Whole Wheat Bread, Gigantor, Nerf Herder, etc blah blah blah albums he own's that came out in the past 5 years:

Oh wait you mean the return of Mall Punk. Yeah.

/snobbery (I had to do it)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well if it were real snobbery and not a joke, I'd reply with the fact that mall punk isn't a genre and that blink and NFG are factually pop punk music, as they've been known for 15 years.

But was just a joke, so it's all good. :p

Chojin

omg rite said:
Well if it were real snobbery and not a joke, I'd reply with the fact that mall punk isn't a genre and that blink and NFG are factually pop punk music, as they've been known for 15 years.

But was just a joke, so it's all good. :p

Half Joke Half Serious.

Last I checked, the bands I named weren't covered by Kidz Bop or featured in a Now Thats What I Call Music Eleventybillion comp

But yeah it was just a jab at the "return of Pop Punk."

Return to who is what I was wondering. Cause its always and will always be here. If you mean to the masses, then yeah, all hail the renewed 5 year cycle of "punk" when the radio scrambles for until they can figure out some other new hip thing.

esbern

...this is really really not a good album. give it a coheed & cambria or whatever bullshit concept/tracklisting/etc. you want, the songs are still dull

Rindain

Banned
I'm really liking Static Age and Murder City. Both have single potential....hell, pretty much every song on this album could be a hit single. And See the Light is a great album closer.

Tek

The flac rip was just a transcode of the stream...

Fans are really mixed on this album...some feel it departs too much from the green day formula...some thing its great.

I haven't really listened to much to form my own opinion on it...I know what I've heard is great...

I just hope that Green Day does a quick fun record after this one instead of going on with this opera/concept stuff.

Tek

my info was wrong about the flac rip. They just thought it was fake due to the 1st track sound quality threw them off.

I have it now...:D

ZeoVGM

Banned
esbern said:
...this is really really not a good album. give it a coheed & cambria or whatever bullshit concept/tracklisting/etc. you want, the songs are still dull

What do you think of "21 Guns" and "American Eulogy"?

Pewp

Just got three floor tickets! This CD is amazing, so nice to hear something new from them! Billie hitting those high notes on some songs makes my dick want to cry.

Listening to the the MTV stream right now. I am generally liking it quite a lot so far. I'm near the end of it (on The Static Age right now) and I'll definitely be buying this next Friday.

It seems like every album Green Day makes gets closer to sounding like The Kinks. Know Your Enemy and especially Horseshoes & Handgrenades sound almost exactly like punked-out versions of Kinks songs.

btkadams

i don't really like it at all. i really enjoyed american idiot. imo, they should have let american idiot be their exit. this album sounds so "done before" to me. that's just what i think though, i'll try and give it some more listens.

Damn good stuff

I'll say it again

Never knew Green Day had this kind of material in them

They have sure come a long way from Kerplunk

Manics

Banned
esbern said:

In your opinion bro. Many people think it's Green Day's best work.

LCfiner

I've heard the whole album now around 3 times. really like it (also got tickets for their summer concert! woohoo!)

I think I still prefer American Idiot to this but I like some of the slight changes they've made to their sound on here.

Peacemaker certainly took me by surprise in a good way.

edit: They really want to be The Who, don't they. :lol Two Rock Operas in a row!
(plus the Foxboro Hot tubs experiment, shades of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by playing around...)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
I've heard the whole album now around 3 times. really like it (also got tickets for their summer concert! woohoo!)

I think I still prefer American Idiot to this but I like some of the slight changes they've made to their sound on here.

Peacemaker certainly took me by surprise in a good way.

edit: They really want to be The Who, don't they. :lol Two Rock Operas in a row!
(plus the Foxboro Hot tubs experiment, shades of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by playing around...)
Mmm, Peacemaker is a fantastic song.

Manics

Banned
Heard it last night. Holy Jesus in heaven it's an amazing album. Green Day has topped themselves and I never thought they would after American Idiot.

The song 21 Guns should be released as a single, it's the kind of song that will make both grown men and little girls weep the same tears. It'll be a massive hit, probably get sick of it after hearing it on the radio 100 times / week. The price of success.

That'll do Green Day, that'll do.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kastro said:
Listening now.. it's pretty boring. It all sounds so generic.

Also it's far too long at 17 tracks.

It's very hard to trust the opinion of someone who complains that an album has "too many songs".

It's been 4 1/2 years since their last album. I think a 70-minute album makes up for it.

birdman

American Idiot was 13 songs long with 2 songs at over 9 minutes, containing a few songs within themselves. 17 songs for this album seems like just about the same amount.

ZeoVGM

Banned
American Idiot was 58 minutes. This is 70.

Which I enjoy a lot, because it seems a lot of pop rock albums come in at like 40 lately.

birdman

12 minutes isn't that much of an increase to me, seeing as it's been spread across the board. I like having longer songs, as long as it's not padding. Haven't heard the whole album to make a full opinion on that though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
shorter, more focused album > long album

21CB is great, but it would have been brilliant had Green Day trimmed the fat. That is to say, I think that they totally got away with having 18 tracks weighing in at 70 minutes (60 minutes is usually a comfortable album length for me, but I prefer something like 40 minutes), the album is still fantastic, but it could have been a lot better had it been a bit more focused (I've never listened to an album that has truely been able to hold me attention for more than ~40 minutes, even if the second half of the album is better than the first).

Tamanon

Banned
Green Day needs to tour this album and then retire. There's no possible way they can top this one. Just got done on the first listen and it flows so amazingly well. The styles even seem to shift from each of their previous albums. Especially love Peacemaker(like a Warning song with more musical maturity and thought) and Viva La Gloria(Little Girl), the second one. So amazing. It also seems to be one of the better travel albums, perfect for the open road or jogging. Even when Billie Joe goes into Crooner mode, it's not too much and it really fits the album.

This is why bands shouldn't stop making albums in favor of singles. So good.

I'm listening to this album again right now at work and I can't help but be reminded of The Network when I hear the versus in Christian's Inferno. The bass line and the dark laughing in the background sound exactly like something the GD side project would do. I also hear shades of Foxboro Hot Tubs on certain songs as well.

I also hear a lot of "Warning:" on Peacemaker and Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl). And the first half of American Eulogy kind of reminds me of Deadbeat Holiday. Lovin' it.

Diablos

Karakand said:
2cyr576.png
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom