• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (New Album 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Diablos said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

If only it were true, Pumpkins fan!

On another note, this album gets better with every listen. I'm not sure if I like it more than American Idiot though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the more I listen the better it gets. Peacemaker is still amazing, and Before the Lobotomy is an epic. I usually hate albums that go on for too long (my usual comfort zone is about 10 tracks, and around an hour, maybe less), but all 17.5 of the tracks on the album are a really good listen. It's a finely tuned pop rock record that stretches slightly beyond the usual limits of a pop rock record, without losing what makes it one in the first place, and I really respect that; it's so much easier said than done.

Green Day may write simple music with catchy hooks, but damned if they don't do so fucking well, and so much better than most other acts out there. This is going to go off live.

Tek

I got tickets to see them in Nashville on July 31st.

I think I like American Idiot more than this. 21CB is still a great album and I've listened to it quite a bit. I love Static Age and American Euology.

Still, songs like Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming just seemed so awesome to me the first time I heard them. I don't get the same feeling from this although American Euology comes close.

At any rate, most bands never make a album like AI or 21CB so Green Day did a great job in my opinion.

I hope the next album is a less serious more pop punk fun album and lets not go another 4 years without another album.

Oh and more Network please...

LCfiner

one of the bonus tracks I got off itunes for pre-ordering is a cover of "Like a Rolling Stone"

it's, um, interesting.

I just can't take covers of that song seriously. none of them have that sense of snarling anger that the original has.

Futureman

"Burnout" Live is such a random extra song for Amazon to include. Ha. The iTunes extra sound better, but not $5 better.

Liking the record so far, about 5 more songs to go through.

$4.99 on Amazon? Jeez. Poor little me might just have to do that even though I hate not having the actual CD.

Pein said:
bought the CD, only $10 at target.

Cheap immediate gratification? Or secure feeling of physical media . . . Hmmm damn. I think I'm gonna go with the latter.

eXistor

I'm about halfway through the album, but I must say that I'm blown away so far. It sounds so much more like Green Day than American Idiot. If this keeps up this could be their best cd yet. I even thought I was kind of over Green Day, but I'm back to being a believer as of now.

/edit: yeah the album rocks, only a few lesser songs. This blows America Idiot out of the water (that was one of their weaker albums anyway).

Futureman

MY F'ING TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW aka I am bored at work

Song of the Century/21st Century Breakdown: Nice little intro into one of the strongest tracks on the record. I love the way the 1st verse sounds, really sets a tone for the album. Sick Queen-esque guitar solo at the end.

Know Your Enemy: Upbeat fun song. OK single, but it fits really nice in the flow of the record. Billie Joe = catchy song master. I imagine this would be really fun live.

Viva La Gloria!: Good song, doesn't really hit me that hard though

Before the Lobotomy: Follows the same structure as Viva La Gloria (slow intro into fast rock song) but I think "Lobotomy" is much more effective. One of my favs.

Christian's Inferno: Darker, faster song. Not really a "Green Day" song, but fits into the theme/concept of the record.

Last Night on Earth: Faster "Inferno" segues into this more ballady song. Works as a good contrast to the previous song.

East Jesus Nowhere: Nice anthem style song. I guess in that mindset, sort of the like the song "Holiday," sounds kinda similar at times.

Peacemaker: Standout track because it sounds different then the rest of the record. They show some creative song writing here, really enjoyable. I think this and "21 Guns" could be potential single material.

Last of the American Girls: Beginning reminds me of "Pink Cadillac" by Springsteen. Good upbeat song.

Murder City: Shortest song. Chorus sounds like an older GD song, Nimrod-era.

Viva La Gloria?: Like this. It reminds me a lot of a more upbeat version of "Misery" from "Warning."

Restless Heart Syndrome: "I'm elaaaaaaaaaated, medicaaaaaaaaated"

Horseshoes and Handgrenades: I don't really know the Hives that well aside from their singles, but that's instantly what I think of with this song. Billie getting angry and screaming and sounding like the Hives.

The Static Age: Meh, probably my least favorite track. It's not necessarily bad, but it reminds me of an Ataris song or something (I think the song was called "Radio #2"?). I think they definitely could have cut this, Horseshoes would have segued nicely into 21 Guns.

21 Guns: Billie Joe swinging for the fences, and he generally succeeds. Gosh, when he sings "21 Guns" that's the catchiest thing he may have ever wrote. I cringe at the lyric "When it's time to live and let die, And you can't get another try" though.

American Eulogy: I love the parts where Mike sings.

See the Light: I don't want to compare it to "Whatersname," but American Idiot's closer was better than this. Still a good song. To be fair, "Whatersname" is probably in my top 5 GD songs.

General thoughts:
I think someone said this earlier, but it doesn't really feel like a "rock opera" to me where as American Idiot did. Not really a negative but just my feeling. Doesn't feel as epic as American Idiot. Lots of piano, I think I read that Billie Joe mainly wrote this record on piano as opposed to guitar.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I'm NOT the only one who thought that song sounded like The Hives the moment the guitar kicked in? :lol Love it though.

And I really really like "The Static Age". It's single-worthy I think. That chorus is so catchy.

koam

omg rite said:
So I'm NOT the only one who thought that song sounded like The Hives the moment the guitar kicked in? :lol Love it though.

And I really really like "The Static Age". It's single-worthy I think. That chorus is so catchy.

Oh yeah big time. The hives are the first band that came to mind.

Great album, what I find is that very little of it is memorable. The album is fantastic listened to in one long sitting even though it has a weak closer, but the odd one or two individual songs at once just doesn't have the same impact as the album as a whole. This is simultaneously a good and a bad thing.

koam

APZonerunner said:
Great album, what I find is that very little of it is memorable. The album is fantastic listened to in one long sitting even though it has a weak closer, but the odd one or two individual songs at once just doesn't have the same impact as the album as a whole. This is simultaneously a good and a bad thing.

It'll grow on you.

LCfiner

I pretty much agree with your track reviews, Futureman. I'm getting the same from most of the songs.

Although I do like The Static Age. I like the rather upbeat, lightweight melody but with the hard kicking drums. Reminds me of a transplanted and Frankenstein'd 80s pop song (sort of).

omg rite said:

nah, you're not the only one. the fist time I heard it on stream, I made that comment to a friend of mine.

Cyan

Banned
Good review, Futureman.

I think my favorite tracks as of now are the title track, 21 Guns, Viva La Gloria?, and Horseshoes & Handgrenades. I like the switch in styles for H&H. Hadn't really thought about the Hives comparison, but you're totally right.

Futureman

28136051-28136057-large.jpg

eXistor

I listened to it a few more times. I'm not as gushing as I was yesterday, but it's still a really solid album. My favorite songs at the moment are 21st Century Breakdown (I love the Irish jig), Christian's Inferno, Peacemaker, Last of the American Girls and American Eulogy.

Futureman

StrikerObi said:
And the first half of American Eulogy kind of reminds me of Deadbeat Holiday. Lovin' it.

YES! I was trying to figure this one out. The same chord change from Deadbeat Holiday where he sings "Grudges come back to haunt us" is in "American Eulogy."

Picked up the Target special edition with some live versions of American Idiot songs.

Listening right now . . . enjoying it. Another punk rock opera. Billy Joe's all growns up.

It is good to know that Rock & Roll still lives.

Futureman said:
M
Before the Lobotomy: Follows the same structure as Viva La Gloria (slow intro into fast rock song) but I think "Lobotomy" is much more effective. One of my favs.
My fav so far . . . but I'm just finishing the first act.

Rindain

Banned
Static Age is great - for some reason it reminds be of one of those upbeat Queen songs with huge hooks and choruses.

And See The Light is a great closer for the album - a great coda to the story.

Up there with Whatsername. Very different emotional and lyrical content, but works really well.

Futureman

I'm liking it even more as I'm listening to it. Honestly I haven't even really paid attention to they lyrics/story of the album. Maybe I will, but it's still an awesome record without paying attention to any of that.

I was blasting "Know Your Enemy" in my car today and I take back what I said about it being an OK single. I think it's actually quite awesome. I'm also warming up a lot to some of the other tracks I was unsure of at first, though I still think "Static Age" is only OK, there's nothing that really stands out about it to me.

Cronen

Now that the record has been out for a little while, and we've all had a chance to listen to it for about 2 weeks now, how're you guys finding it?

I've warmed up to it quite a bit, and I've found myself singing/humming along to certain songs, and it's an album I'm definitely going to be listening to a lot. Still not sure if I would say if it's better than American Idiot or not though. That's a tough one.

yodandy

Cronen said:
Now that the record has been out for a little while, and we've all had a chance to listen to it for about 2 weeks now, how're you guys finding it?

I've warmed up to it quite a bit, and I've found myself singing/humming along to certain songs, and it's an album I'm definitely going to be listening to a lot. Still not sure if I would say if it's better than American Idiot or not though. That's a tough one.

I found most of it forgettable, I tried listening to it lots to see if it would grow on me, it never did. Maybe ill give it another spin today.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I am really digging this album. I've been listening to it while at work and school coding/designing nonstop.

I don't know why, but it makes me feel nostalgic - especially ¡Viva La Gloria! and songs of that like - like I am trying to reminisce of something really good. It really puts me in a great mood listening to it.

bill0527

Tek said:
I got tickets to see them in Nashville on July 31st.

You lucky fucking bastard. This one has been sold out for a while.

I want to go.. not to see Green Day, but to see Kaiser Chiefs since they're only going to be in the U.S. for 3 weeks this year.

I'm giving a listen to 21CB right now.

I <3 Zune Pass.

koam

Got this through my Twitter:

Review of their performance this past weekend in Ottawa ( I was at the Montreal one :D ):
http://www.upvenue.com/music-news/b...n-day-blows-the-lid-off-scotiabank-place.html

Setlist:
1) Song Of The Century
2) 21st Century Breakdown
3) Know Your Enemy
4) East Jesus Nowhere
5) Holiday
6) The Static Age
7) Before The Lobotomy
8) Are We The Waiting
9) St. Jimmy
10) Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
11) 2000 Light Years Away
12) Coming Clean
13) Welcome To Paradise
14) Brain Stew
15) Jaded
16) Longview
17) Basket Case
18) She
19) King For a Day
20) Shout
21) Stand By Me
22) 21 Guns
23) American Eulogy

24) American Idiot [Encore]
25) Jesus Of Suburbia [Encore]
26) Minority [Encore]
27) Good Riddance [Encore]

Pictures:
green-day-1247943278.jpg

green-day-1247943255.jpg

green-day-1247943230.jpg

Takuan

Billy's come a long way from peeing on audiences. This is a great album. I can't believe it was $5 on Amazon mp3... definitely worth that money.

Tamanon

Banned
Ardorx said:
Is this CD anything like Dookie? Fucking loved that album.

Not really like Dookie, it's really a mix of all their previous albums. Combines all sorts of different styles of theirs into one rock opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom