• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grev |OT| Shooting up the future!

So pretty big significant announcement on the Grev blog yesterday.
Looks like Grev is putting a hold on all future projects including their new Senko no Ronde installment to focus on a big outsourcing project. They mention in this blog post that the outsourced project will feature their company's logo and that the game type is something "close to the company's style", which means it's probably a shooter. We'll see what this turns out to be.

Otherwise they are finishing up work on Under Defeat HD + for arcades which should be announced soon.

For the outsourcing stuff, personally I think this is probably a good move for them. Just like they did at the beginning of the gen, they have already experimented with new platforms: 3DS and PSP, neither to amazing results. They should probably sit out the transition to next-gen until a good opportunity for shooters arises on one of the new consoles.

======================
Unrelated to the above, I got my Antares model in the other day and have been (slowly) building it up. Will post pics when it's done!

cuilan

So pretty big significant announcement on the Grev blog yesterday.
Looks like Grev is putting a hold on all future projects including their new Senko no Ronde installment to focus on a big outsourcing project. They mention in this blog post that the outsourced project will feature their company's logo and that the game type is something "close to the company's style", which means it's probably a shooter. We'll see what this turns out to be.

I could have sworn they had said something similar to this about a year ago, except this time they specifically mentioned a new Senko project, whereas last time they simply mentioned a "big project" or something along those lines (I remember speculating back then that it was Senko-related).

Edit: oh, it was almost 2 years ago actually. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=688721#p688721

I could have sworn they had said something similar to this about a year ago, except this time they specifically mentioned a new Senko project, whereas last time they simply mentioned a "big project" or something along those lines (I remember speculating back then that it was Senko-related).

Edit: oh, it was almost 2 years ago actually. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=688721#p688721

Yeah I remember that as well. They were looking hard for a new project at that point. I guess one result of that might have been Gunhound EX? Another might have been something long-term i.e. what they're working on now.

I personally would doubt it's Gradius VI since Hiroshi Iuchi is no longer with the company. I am very curious to find out what it is. Hope it's something cool.
========================

Incidentally, Grev just put up their site for Under Defeat HD + :
http://www.grev.co.jp/udhd/hdac.html

Looks like the changes to the gameplay include a "Warning Gauge", described here but in excruciatingly small text.

Apparently this gauge increases when the "scroll speed" around your ship drops, and when it maxes out, more enemies appear on screen with harder attacks. Sounds almost like a DDP Resurrection Black Label style of rank gauge.

Anyways there's a location test this weekend, so I'll try to stop by.

Ok, whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

According to this tweet by the Grev official account, the out-sourced project that they are developing for is actually a game version of Game Center CX! lol

https://twitter.com/grevUST/status/342672631373377537

Ek7jeDe.png

Celebrate! (?)

tumblr_m12arcYxYG1qm83j0o1_500.jpg

BOTEC

Cool. The first GCCX game was a neat throwback. I'd love to see what an actual arcade game developer does with it, and where it lands.

BOTEC

I would bet 3DS since they got some dev experience with Kokuga.

Curious to find out what kind of game it'll turn out to be...

That would make the most sense. But, imagine if they went all-out crazy for the 10th anniversary of the show and make a GCCX arcade game.

You should also cross-post this in the official GCCX thread. I bet those weirdos would appreciate the news.

Tain

Oh, wow. Weird. I actually thought the first one was pretty bad, never played the second. Would rather this be one game instead of a collection of smaller ones.

Phatcorns

Has anyone made a Gunhound EX thread? People need to know about this game. HOLY SHIT. I mean seriously, how many games let you slide down a hill while fighting a fucking Valkyrie from Macross? Certainly not no shitty Macross game!

gunhound_ex1.jpg

Yes Boss!

Has anyone made a Gunhound EX thread? People need to know about this game. HOLY SHIT. I mean seriously, how many games let you slide down a hill while fighting a fucking Valkyrie from Macross? Certainly not no shitty Macross game!

Still my GoTY so far. Still seven months and big Nintendo fall so it might be bumped from No 1 slot, though.

Adverse folded the game into this very thread...check 1st post.

Tain

Gunhound EX has been on my to-do list for a while (don't want to play it on my original PSP, have to get a second Vita memory card and get it via Japanese PSN). I wish I knew exactly what the differences between the PC and PSP versions were!

gunhound_ex1.jpg

i like it. finished the training and the complete game once. i'll give it another try soon.

Yes Boss!

honestly just getting it because g.rev and a faint hope

Double-dipping for g.rev myself.

Only played it a few hours. One thing is certain, it is very stylish and the music in phenomenal. Honestly, I feel there is enough there, especially given the fact that we, as gamers here, tend to have a lot of games. Yeah, if I only got one or two games a year I might find it a little light. But as as part of the genre and many releases it certainly has its place. I'm betting this is a sub-$10 eShop title.

cj_iwakura

gunhound_ex1.jpg

Hey, I love the Saturn Macross game.

Leynos

gunhound_ex1.jpg

I just started playing, and I rather like the game. I just found this thread and the mini-FAQ cleared a few things up for me. It's no Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken, or Assault Suits Leynos, but I'm having a grand old time.

Yes Boss!

I just started playing, and I rather like the game. I just found this thread and the mini-FAQ cleared a few things up for me. It's no Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken, or Assault Suits Leynos, but I'm having a grand old time.

I've got my PSP charged and ready with this game in since completing it earlier this year. Truly one of my favorites so I'm hesitant to make another run...but it is calling me to get to the next 100M to 200M just for fun. Like all good games I don't like to dip in earlier than once a year but I might make an exception for this one.

I'm really hoping we get a western release.

Yes Boss!

Mamorukun US PSN release includes all DLC:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/1...des-all-of-the-dlc-from-the-japanese-version/

Now if I should double dip...

I don't even remember what DLC I've got for the game. I know I've got something for the 360 title, but I don't remember buying anything for retail Japan PS3 release.

In any case, I'm picking up the US digital tonight. Well worth the $20 to have it all translated and on the harddrive. Game is excellent as well.

Tain

Mamorokun is, from the VERY brief time I put in last night, really cool. Won't be able to put more time into it for a little bit, though, too much to play.

There was another thread about Mamorukun with good impressions, but also some bad drive-bys that kinda made me second guess it. I'm really in the mood for a game like this though, so I don't think I can justify not buying it :p

BOTEC

G-Style, close enough? Looks interesting. I still have some of that $30 e-shop credit left, I'll check it out.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Chain Blaster isn't a G.rev game is it?

G-Style, close enough? Looks interesting. I still have some of that $30 e-shop credit left, I'll check it out.
My bad. Saw a ship and G something... What do you expect? :/

By the way, I mailed G Rev about the Canadian release of Kokuga and they say it's not happening in the near future. Just FYI.

Looks like Grev is keeping up its collaboration with the RC Berg model company.

This is Ernula's craft from the first Senko no Ronde, also shared by Lanatus.

castrato_wall.jpg

castrato_10.jpg

Appeared at Wonderfest in Japan this weekend and will probably be available for order in a bit from the Grev shop judging from the Border Down kit.

Yuterald

Yo, gotta say, I really like this Kokuga game. The scoring mechanics are really simple (almost non-existent), but the gameplay is fun as shit and the music is GOD-LIKE! The OST is reason enough to give this game a run. I like how the game's got a Darius-like stage grid/map, but you can tackle the stages in any order without committing to a certain path. I didn't think I would like the card system too much because of its randomness, but the more I played the less bothersome it became. I will say that your high score obviously depends on what cards are allotted to you at a given time so making the most out of the multiplier depends on a RNG which isn't too hot. The game just feels/sounds/looks good though. It's hard to fault the game too much because it does a lot of things right. I definitely wouldn't want every shooter to be like this, but I definitely share the sentiment that it has its place and it's a nice alternative to the typical side scrolling/overhead shooter.

I never really heard of these guys until recently. I own and have played a little of Under Defeat HD and I like it, but I never made much time for it yet. I tried Gunhound EX on my friends modded PSP and I LOVED IT! I'll have to order a copy one day (wish it was translated though). I think I'm starting to dig these guys. Treasure's still my favorite in this department, but I like these guy's style. =D

cuilan

I would think Cuilan's customer base would be...a little limited. But what do I know.

If Pixiv and Mixi are anything to go by, Cuilan is Senko no Ronde's most popular character. And unsurprisingly, I too am upset that there's been an Ernula figure, a Changpo figure, and now a Castrato figure, and yet still no Cuilan...

gunstarhero

Mamorokun is, from the VERY brief time I put in last night, really cool. Won't be able to put more time into it for a little bit, though, too much to play.

Picked this one up last night - and loving it so far.

A lot more laid back than I was expecting, but I'm glad it is. The curse/scoring mechanic is really cool, and the overall presentation is hysterical. Love most of the characters also - and there seems to be a lot of game here... especially for $20! O_O

The hit box is a bit hard to make out, but it's manageable with some practice.

Overall, really glad I picked this one up - I've been neglecting my PS3 lately... now that I'm playing it again, I might get around to picking up Ketsui. :)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a patch for Under Defeat HD is dropping soon. Can anyone please translate this info?

Top Bottom