• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

my record is 2:27.5xx or something.

that first corner is super hard.

I was restarting a lot there, until i found a good reference point.

Use the curbs on the left and as soon as you get close to the green part of the curb, brake a little bit, downshift to 4th and turn right.

Works for me, if it helps.

I have no idea how you guys figure out so much stuff that isn´t even said on the demo... just how much time are you guys putting into this?

I would never figured out those graphics settings.

amar212

I have no idea how you guys figure out so much stuff that isn´t even said on the demo... just how much time are you guys putting into this?

I would never figured out those graphics settings.

You should read articles of people who were testing tyre compunds for determing of grip/compounds and such in GT5. Or Japanese guy who performed crazy testing and measuring to determine way how actually oil change and engine brake-in work in GT5. Or Famine's (GTPlanet mod) escapade related to Bspec mode endeavours in endurances..

Dead Man

You should read articles of people who were testing tyre compunds for determing of grip/compounds and such in GT5. Or Japanese guy who performed crazy testing and measuring to determine way how actually oil change and engine brake-in work in GT5. Or Famine's (GTPlanet mod) escapade related to Bspec mode endeavours in endurances..

I think it was Famine who had a hand in developing the GT4 B Spec info too, wasn't it? That was a crazy system with the way they skilled up.

nib95

Banned
Played a bit earlier today and finally got gold. Low 2:23 without too much effort. But it sort of clicked, I just hadn't been drifting in to apexes enough, and was perhaps playing it a bit safe. Also switched to manual and found it helped since you just have a bit more control of the car and how fast you want it or the kind of desired traction. Reckon I could have got a 2:20 to 2:21 if I kept pushing. Loads of corners I knew I had more time.

Never did like Silverstone, but now I wish I'd raced on this track more in the past. Feel like with this demo I was learning a new track all over lol.

Truespeed

You know how Turn 10 (and practically every other company) does their sound? They record, and then slap a heavy filter on it. It works.

PD hasn't done that until recently, but it still hasn't been good enough. They are developing a new filter to make the cars sound more "real" and give them more life. The recorded sounds aren't new. The filter on top of them is.

When I play Forza the sound I hear seems representative of the exhaust, regardless of whether your driving in cockpit or chase view. With GT5/GT6 the sound seems to be what you would hear if your were inside of the car. Now, I'm not making excuses for the sound in GT, but I think there are arguments to be made depending on what perspective you're playing in.

bud

I was restarting a lot there, until i found a good reference point.

Use the curbs on the left and as soon as you get close to the green part of the curb, brake a little bit, downshift to 4th and turn right.

Works for me, if it helps.

i got my time down to 2:25.056 or something.

that's still a good eight seconds too slow...

there are still plenty of corners i can improve quite a lot on, but making up those eight seconds seems impossible.

When I play Forza the sound I hear seems representative of the exhaust, regardless of whether your driving in cockpit or chase view. With GT5/GT6 the sound seems to be what you would hear if your were inside of the car. Now, I'm not making excuses for the sound in GT, but I think there are arguments to be made depending on what perspective you're playing in.

There's also very poor sampling as far as channel conversion (surround > 2 speakers) goes.

This is very easy to see if you drive in 3rd person view and just crash in front, and then switch to back view and crash again.

Their channel mixing sucks. It's annoying.

They have NO channel mixing. Everything comes on central speaker only. It is plain lazyness.

Pretty much. It's... stupid how I can go into chase cam and hear the exhaust in the normal view, almost NOTHING when looking behind me, when honking the horn from behind, you can hardly hear, and when looking back, completely DROWNS out the car.

When my wife wants to do a small set of races with me in split screen. You can't hear my car. You can't hear me honk, but you can hear everything the 2nd player does.

They've been making games for over a decade. They should know how to do these things.

nib95

Banned
Can't believe I'm still playing this demo on and off lol. Keep etching more and more off my times, but can't crack below 2:20.

nib95

Banned
It just made me realize how rubbish I am at driving.

Lol, but you have a GT avatar. What sort of times are you kicking? Wheel or Controller?

I found a little trick that helps me with lap times....

My set up.

G25 (Force Feedback set to 6)
Simulation Steering mode
Everything else in wheel options off.

In actual game racing options.

Manual (using paddle shift).
Traction 0.
ABS 1.
Everything else off except steering force(?) set to STRONG.

The last option is what's given me the ability to get tighter steering sensitivity (basically power steering) and have to fight with the wheel less. Immediately improved my laps just a smidgen across the board. Not by much, but enough to shave a few hundredths here and there.

nib95

Banned
It's already unlocked and OMG what a beast. The joy in my face!

2:06'756 with lots of mistakes. Currently 25th on the regional boards.

Just managed a mid 2:05. Can find more time though, few corners I just haven't been able to master, like the one just before the chicane.

nib95

Banned
Gotta say, I'm loving the Nizmo GT3. I think both drive and audio wise it's super satisfying. That growl and rough hum when you mis-shift or just throttle it.

I finally got around to trying this demo, and it was kinda like going back in time to some degree.

For starters, gas is assigned to the "x" button by default? Really?

It's such a small thing, but it just gives you a clue as to how out of touch Polyphony are in some regards. The lack of a breaking only driving line also blows my mind. I forgave it in GT5, but years later you still haven't realized this might be a desirable feature? Forza's had this since Forza 3 at least, maybe even earlier.

Then we've got the framerate in 1080p. I see this as a blatant sign of the overall problems with Polyphony. They're so focused on bullet points and cramming as much as possible into the game, that they often end up missing the fundamentals. I expect a locked 60fps with no screen tearing in a sim racer. They didn't achieve that with GT5, and it appears they won't achieve that with GT6.

The sound is still stuck in the past as well. The sound effects for hitting another car are the same as they've always been. Engine sounds are still a mess.

The game looks very nice for PS3 hardware, and the racing feels great on the track. I just wish I wasn't constantly being tapped on the shoulder by annoyances that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I finally got around to trying this demo, and it was kinda like going back in time to some degree.

For starters, gas is assigned to the "x" button by default? Really?

It's such a small thing, but it just gives you a clue as to how out of touch Polyphony are in some regards
It's assigned to both X and the right stick. Also DS3 buttons are pressure sensitive, and you know... you can change it.

The lack of a breaking only driving line also blows my mind. I forgave it in GT5, but years later you still haven't realized this might be a desirable feature? Forza's had this since Forza 3 at least, maybe even earlier.
Never even crossed my mind. Seems pretty like a pretty small detail.

Then we've got the framerate in 1080p. I see this as a blatant sign of the overall problems with Polyphony. They're so focused on bullet points and cramming as much as possible into the game, that they often end up missing the fundamentals. I expect a locked 60fps with no screen tearing in a sim racer. They didn't achieve that with GT5, and it appears they won't achieve that with GT6.
WIP... And if as you say it was only for the "bullet points" and yet you don't care about them, you can play the demo in 720p.

Also, there is no tearing.

The sound is still stuck in the past as well. The sound effects for hitting another car are the same as they've always been. Engine sounds are still a mess.
Agree 100%

It's assigned to both X and the right stick. Also DS3 buttons are pressure sensitive, and you know... you can change it.

Yes, I can change it, but why on earth aren't the triggers the default? Seriously, GT5 and GT6 are the ONLY racing games this gen to do this. Think about that. It says more than you think.

Never even crossed my mind. Seems pretty like a pretty small detail.

I just don't like having the line guiding my path the entire time, but I also like having some guidance, so the "breaking only" option in the Forza games is awesome.

WIP... And if as you say it was only for the "bullet points" and yet you don't care about them, you can play the demo in 720p.

Also, there is no tearing.

You can say WIP if you want, but GT5 had screen tearing, and this game has framerate problems. I highly doubt they're going to completely iron these out by the ship date, as this demo doesn't even feature all the things you're going to see in the final game. Weather for example is surely going to bring the framerate down.

I'd love to believe they're gonna get 1080p mode smoothed out before launch, but I'll be shocked if the final game has no framerate problems at all.

I know 720p is an option, but I don't feel like going into a menu each time I want to play this one game, just to compensate for it's problems.

nib95

Banned
I don't get the complaint lol, the frame rate is near flawless in 720p. Options are great. I prefer the extra IQ over a slight drop in frame rate so I play in 1080p. Just play in 720p if you care more about frame rate. It's not aiming for bullet points it's giving consumers options and catering to as many people's ideals as possible.

Also I disagree about the sound. The GTR and GT3 sound very good. Leaf is a bit whispy, no idea what it sounds like in real life, and the 370Z could do with a bit more grunt.

I don't get the complaint lol, the frame rate is near flawless in 720p. Options are great. I prefer the extra IQ over a slight drop in frame rate so I play in 1080p. Just play in 720p if you care more about frame rate. It's not aiming for bullet points it's giving consumers options and catering to as many people's ideals as possible.

Also I disagree about the sound. The GTR and GT3 sound very good. Leaf is a bit whispy, no idea what it sounds like in real life, and the 370Z could do with a bit more grunt.
If its a game "option" to run at 60fps 720p then make it an option in the game itself. Right now its a system option and affects everything you do with the PS3.

Its kludgy and sloppy and is a workaround more than an option.

nib95

Banned
If its a game "option" to run at 60fps 720p then make it an option in the game itself. Right now its a system option and affects everything you do with the PS3.

Its kludgy and sloppy and is a workaround more than an option.

I agree with this. They should make it an option in the game.

You can say WIP if you want, but GT5 had screen tearing, and this game has framerate problems. I highly doubt they're going to completely iron these out by the ship date, as this demo doesn't even feature all the things you're going to see in the final game. Weather for example is surely going to bring the framerate down.
I can say WIP because...

1. It is a WIP
2. This isn't GT5.
3. It's not even a real GT6 demo, it was the Nissan GT Academy entry app powered by a WIP GT6 engine that had to be released on a scheduled set by Nissan.
4. New game engine was designed to be smoother, at 720p it's already better then GT5, and no tearing.

I can say WIP because...

1. It is a WIP
2. This isn't GT5.
3. It's not even a real GT6 demo, it was the Nissan GT Academy entry app powered by a WIP GT6 engine that had to be released on a scheduled set by Nissan.
4. New game engine was designed to be smoother, at 720p it's already better then GT5, and no tearing.

I'm going to hope for the best. The game looks amazing for the PS3 hardware, and it would be awesome if it held a solid 60 in 1080p mode.

Have they said there will only be premium cars in this game?

Niks

Tried the Schulze Motorsport’s N24 GT-R event today. The race hards feel nice, not too gripy. Only drove for a few laps though, but I did noticed some loss of grip under braking.

The standards have also been modified in a way that the aero parts will fit on them just like with the premiums.

I've actually been wondering about that recently. I don't think we'll be able to put actual body kits on standard cars because of the way they're modeled. Maybe just generic splitters/canards along with the wings and wheels we can already put on them?

And just as i was disappointed for not performing as well as the past years in GT Academy i just received an email inviting me for the finals in New York next week.

Talk about a huge bummer.

Every year GT Academy happens i just start to think about how cool it would be to go on to those finals and to compete for a spot in Silverstone.

Must be a unique experience.

Too bad the only american thing that i have is my PSN tag.

It´s a shame to live in a "tier 2" country. Maybe one day Nissan´s marketing department will wake up and bring GT Academy to different regions.

Oh well, all it´s left is to imagine "what it?" scenarios...

Top Bottom