• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V Launching Spring 2013 On Xbox 360/PS3 [Officially Confirmed By Rockstar]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
No mention of a wii-u version is kinda of worrying. I think Rockstar had to know about wii-u for a while so not having the game launch on all 3 consoles at the saw time is weird.
Hardly, adding another SKU wouldn't greatly help sales, and is a bigger burden for the team. Makes sense not to do it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I hope its big in the cheats department, that was so fun in GTASA.

I'm not expecting something crazy like SA or Saints Row:The Third as its clear Rockstar have been going for much more mature games this generation but they need to bring back some of the fun.

I'm not really expecting a Wii U version, but if there is one in the works I dont see it being revealed like this.

Nintendo has been stupidly secret about their post-launch window lineup.

Isnt there a focus on the economy or something in this game? Id speculate there will be 2 characters, one well off upper class, and one ghetto thug dude like CJ on the lower end of things.

Id prefer one character, but fuck it. Rockstar never disappoints.

Also people wanting the Saints Row crazy aspect, fuck that. Go play San Andreas if you want San Andreas. The mature theme of IV was fantastic.

It's just genuinely odd to me that Rockstar treats the PC as some worthless piece of crap when it's on the PC that their games manage to live on for many years and stay relevant through extensive community modding.

Oh well. If this is as good as Episodes From Liberty City was, it's going to be a tough wait.

I'm thinking there will be a "main character" but with other characters that change depending on the context.
So there'll be a main protagonist with different co-op partners, basically.

Maybe one of them dies and you switch POVs but I sincerely doubt it.

Of course these can be AI driven if you like.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I find it funny that the majority of 2012 was delayed to (presumably) avoid being over shadowed by the usual holiday juggernauts, and now they have to go up against GTA V.

Isnt there a focus on the economy or something in this game? Id speculate there will be 2 characters, one well off upper class, and one ghetto thug dude like CJ on the lower end of things.

Also people wanting the Saints Row crazy aspect, fuck that. Go play San Andreas if you want San Andreas. The mature theme of IV was fantastic.

saints row is crazier than SA. i don't think SA was that unrealistic. gta iv sucked since it had repetitive missions,slow cumbersome movement on foot or on vehicles. not much to do in the world to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I find it funny that the majority of 2012 was delayed to (presumably) avoid being over shadowed by the usual holiday juggernauts, and now they have to go up against GTA V.

Well, if GTA V is coming out in late April/May, they still get to miss it by at least a month or so.

The mid tier games all running into each other however should still be problematic.

I'm sure they will farm out a WiiU port for Xmas next year while the main team is working on DLC. That makes the most sense.

I hope it doesnt happen like RDR then, I will play it on PC or WiiU if they decide to relase it in one of those, but im not going to cry for not playing it. It will come when they are ready to assume theres also a market outside those two consoles, and if it never comes, well tough luck, I will play other things.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

I think the economic climate will serve as the backdrop to the story , as in the guy tries to go straight but gets pulled back into crime to make ends meet etc because he lost his job or some shit. It will drive the story in the beginning and will be something that is always in the background and a driving force for the character and other characters, and their actions in the game.

This is pretty much what happens every year. And then the one or two publishers smart enough to have major releases in the summer get a ton of attention.

It's just genuinely odd to me that Rockstar treats the PC as some worthless piece of crap when it's on the PC that their games manage to live on for many years and stay relevant through extensive community modding.

Oh well. If this is as good as Episodes From Liberty City was, it's going to be a tough wait.

They don't care about the mod community, and in fact actively try to harm it by breaking ENB/ICEnhancer mods with game updates.

It's disappointing that it isn't coming day and date with consoles, but i'll probably live. Red Dead Redemption was pretty gorgeous for a 360 game so it will be a fine temporary measure until the time capsule worthy PC release.

Seems like a good move.

Halo 4 and BO: II are November and GTA V probably won't be until late April.

Every game: Bioshock, Dead Space, and Tomb Raider all found nice windows inbetween the two sets of juggernauts.
Granted not uncontested but these are all very different games with a little breathing room, at least.

I never get the PC version of any game I'm excited for anyway. I have a great PC that I love to log into to play Borderlands 2 with a friend, but if it's a game I'm absolutely giddy about, I want to pop that shit into a console and sit back on the couch and get immersed in the big screen with the lights off. Console magic

Nintendo has approached Rockstar about Grand Theft Auto before, hence the Wii getting Manhunt 2 and a Bully port, while the DS received GTA: Chinatown Wars which was exclusive for a bit. I believe a bunch of people thought GTA V WiiU was coming because one of the very first rumors from 01net about WiiU was Rockstar recieving dev kits and working on GTA V. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't coming, but I won't rule it out completely until Rockstar publicly rules out a WiiU version themselves. Missing out on GTA V though would be a major blow for WiiU, and if so Nintendo might as well blow a kiss goodbye to any major western third party support outside of the usual.

Nintendo can only blame itself. Not because they've failed to secure GTA V for the WiiU, but because, nearly 2 generations later, they've failed to produce an answer to the GTA franchise, either by their hands or through 2nd party effort.

eyeless

Spring 2013 Release Date (PS3, Xbox 360)
fRhSD.gif

The Wii U doesnt exactly have the GTA demographic. It would be more of a risk devoting development costs to a new system. I mean sure it will sell on the Wii, but not in the numbers it will sell on the PS360.

Rockstar have never developed a title on the Wii (I believe?) so why waste money on developing a Wii U version? The PS360 is as safe a bet as you can make. I see nothing to be surprised about.

Edit : Rockstar have developed Wii games, my mistake.

Regardless the Wii U is a new platform so developing and learning it for such smaller install base seems pointless.

StuBurns

Banned
The Wii U doesnt exactly have the GTA demographic. It would be more of a risk devoting development costs to a new system. I mean sure it will sell on the Wii, but not in the numbers it will sell on the PS360.

Rockstar have never developed a title on the Wii (I believe?) so why waste money on developing a Wii U version? The PS360 is as safe a bet as you can make. I see nothing to be surprised about.
Bully, Table Tennis and Manhunt 2 are on Wii, probably a couple more.

GlamFM

Banned
No mention of a wii-u version is kinda of worrying. I think Rockstar had to know about wii-u for a while so not having the game launch on all 3 consoles at the saw time is weird.

I honestly think they don´t care. And I also think the shouldn´t.

UrbanRats

Bottom left picture, Breaking Bad?
That's an artwork they released a few days ago (in case you missed it).
v_pestcontrol_1280x720.jpg

I'm thinking there will be a "main character" but with other characters that change depending on the context.
So there'll be a main protagonist with different co-op partners, basically.

Maybe one of them dies and you switch POVs but I sincerely doubt it.

Of course these can be AI driven if you like.
Uhm, i did wonder if they intended to put Coop in, after all, Saint's Row 2 and 3 had that for a while.

--

Anyway as i said, i would find it strange if there were no PC version, since they often announced their GTAV related news through the steam group and, in general, publish their PC fans material on the newswire, often (videos and such).
Though i guess they are focusing mainly on the console versions first, so i expect the PC version to come a few months down the line.
Banking on them double dip money, too.

They don't care about the mod community, and in fact actively try to harm it by breaking ENB/ICEnhancer mods with game updates.

It's disappointing that it isn't coming day and date with consoles, but i'll probably live. Red Dead Redemption was pretty gorgeous for a 360 game so it will be a fine temporary measure until the time capsule worthy PC release.
They didn't try to break it, the GTA4 port was a mess, and the Episodes/1070 patch ran much better, of course they don't take ENB into consideration when they patch the gae, but it doesn't mean they're trying to break it on purpose.
Plus they posted several videos on their newswire that used mods (including ENB), you'd think they wouldn't give them the front page, if they were so against them.

As for the Wii U, while probably not impossible, GTA V is probably one of the better examples of a game that would highlight the Wii U's weakness in terms of lower CPU horsepower in comparison to the 360/PS3 meaning Rockstar probably doesn't see it as being worth their time for what's going to be a pretty small install base by Spring 2013.

GlamFM

Banned
I think every GTA so far came well after the console releases.

Wild guess
( wishful thinking )
- GTA V "HD" re-release in Spring of 2014 on PC and next gen consoles.

Why can't they just say, "yes it's coming to PC", "yes it's coming to PC but not at launch" or "no it's not coming to PC"...? Why is it so hard for them to just tell their fans what they want to know? Who else does this? I want to know whether I should care about their game or not, but they want to keep it a secret for some reason. It's so fucking stupid.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think every GTA so far came well after the console releases.

Wild guess
( wishful thinking )
- GTA V "HD" re-release in Spring of 2014 on PC and next gen consoles.

Well, Strauss Zelnick said this in the same article I linked in the OP:

Gamasutra said:
Don't mistake that skepticism for a pessimistic attitude about the next generation of consoles, though. If anything, Zelnick is eager to kick off the next line of game systems, because he sees it as a chance for Take-Two to continue to advance its position in the industry.

"For a company like ours, it's a great opportunity," he says. "[New console launches] separate the winners from the losers -- and we fully expect to be one of the winners."

There are four keys to success in a new console cycle, Zelnick believes -- owned intellectual property, top-tier technology, top-tier development talent and a strong balance sheet.

Take-Two, he says, has all four. And that could help it overcome the launch cycle hurdles that many publishers struggle with.

"I don't want to minimize the challenge of creating titles for new technology or the economic challenges of doing that, but if you get it right, it's a terrific time to launch a new IP," he says.
Source: www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=43676020

I expect them to focus on a few new IPs and growing "smaller" brands like Mafia (and to an extent) Red Dead, but it's not wholly impossible.

UrbanRats

Yeah, that's also a good example, though I expect that one out a bit later than the first year or two given that most of the involved parties would be working on GTA V.

They have a game a year, roughly.
I wonder what they have in store for 2014 and if it'll be next gen already.
Agent being a R*North game(as GTAV is) though, i doubt it'll be that, yeah.

tci

Never been less excited about a GTA game. GTA IV was quite terrible after a few hours. Last one I actually finished was GTA 3 :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They have a game a year, roughly.
I wonder what they have in store for 2014 and if it'll be next gen already.
Agent being a R*North game(as GTAV is) though, i doubt it'll be that, yeah.
If I had to guess, I'd say either the next Red Dead (though it might be a bit early for that in terms of install base), or they'll move Mafia under the Rockstar Label and try launching that one early, since it sells low enough to not be too hurt by lower installed bases, and being out early gives it a lot of attention it might otherwise not get.

A new IP is also possible, but what that would be would be quite hard to guess at.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If I had to guess, I'd say either the next Red Dead (though it might be a bit early for that in terms of install base), or they'll move Mafia under the Rockstar Label and try launching that one early, since it sells low enough to not be too hurt by lower installed bases, and being out early gives it a lot of attention it might otherwise not get.

A new IP is also possible, but what that would be would be quite hard to guess at.

Didn't the Bully composer say he did some work on Bully 2 like 2 years ago? With how long R* develops and how tightly of a ship they run, I say it's Bully 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom