• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V Launching Spring 2013 On Xbox 360/PS3 [Officially Confirmed By Rockstar]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfall

Mafia with R* help would be interesting.

I actually enjoyed Mafia 2, despite some shortcomings. Not as much as Red Dead or GTA, but still enjoyed it a lot.

Wasn't there also a quote from Shawn Lee (composer from the first Bully) saying that he had done some work on music for Bully 2? Or at least that R* was planning on doing it eventually.

You AND I BOTH! In odd ways, the linear story telling aspects with an open/static city backdrop felt really interesting. Most complained about it being restrictive, but I didn't mind at all- I knew I wasn't playing GTA. That said, I wish the narrative held up throughout but there were really some great moments. I play the opening section every winter, to drive about in a snowy Empire Bay and listen to some really amazing tunes.

I'm not sure exactly where I'd want 2k Czech. I wish they tweaked some of the hand to hand combat- something that I think we need some major changes in GTA V. The presentation aspects were really fun, and I think they did a great job with changing the seasons and the handling mechanics/driving in the game.

And yes, I loved the "boring" driving segments. But I like the slow, atmospheric journeys. I spent more time just walking in that game than actually progressing in the story. Perhaps 2k Czech could also add some crazy moments in the mission design.

Edit:
I really want some DLC for V in the vein of the GTA IV episodes. Hopefully they don't focus only on multiplayer stuff.

We agree on everything! I must say Ballad of Gay Tony was my favorite romp in Liberty City. Loved Niko & Johnny, but Luis + fire rounds + parachutes = bliss. Give us more robust single player episodes- new characters to play as, new stories to experience, new weapons to mess with. Rockstar does wonders with their expansions.

bud23

I agree with you on that front, and my proposal is they're going to take over the studio and rebrand it to Rockstar Czech.

I don´t think so,Rockstar recently moved their Toronto team into a much bigger studio,something is cooking up there,I say Bully 2.

UrbanRats

It was a really old interview back before Rockstar Toronto put the game on hold to work on Max Payne 3 exclusively.

Dan or Sam Houser did say they were interested in returning to the series, but I think it's probably too early still since Max Payne 3 just came out.

I'm expecting Take-Two to try to improve development cycles, but I don't expect them to go from 5-7 years to 2 years in one go.

Plus they seem pretty busy getting those DLC packs out (which have been delayed several times already).

I know i'd love a new Bully, especially for another Shawn Lee soundtrack, but some key people of the original team went to work on Sleeping Dogs IIRC (Shawn Lee, too).

I don´t think so,Rockstar recently moved their Toronto team into a much bigger studio,something is cooking up there,I say Bully 2.

They moved their Vancouver studio (authors of Bully) into the Toronto one (authors of Max Payne 3) i didn't know they also moved the Toronto one.

StuBurns

Banned
I think that this gen has proven that people pay the same for less in terms of DLC. Very sad.
While I think that's true, I don't think R* have ever been one for towing the line in terms of value. They're out to over deliver every time.

I think they'll either not bother with single player DLC, or it'll be every bit as grand as it was last time.

Oh well I did expect to see it on wii u, if for no other reason than its the most powerful system at the launch of this game and the cost of a port is chicken feed compared to the development budget on a game like this, maybe rockstar north do hate Nintendo though I don't think they've developed a game on a Nintendo system since body harvest which Nintendo unceremoniously dumped publishing duties for

Keep in mind that the GTA IV DLC was probably the best DLC this gen in terms of content and production value.

If they repeat that ( they wont ) I would be really happy.

Agreed, they were like full games, some of the rare DLC I didnt mind shovelling the cash out

UrbanRats

While I think that's true, I don't think R* have ever been one for towing the line in terms of value. They're out to over deliver every time.

I think they'll either not bother with single player DLC, or it'll be every bit as grand as it was last time.

Max Payne 3 and RDR had some pretty standard DLCs, outside of the Undead Nightmare one, i mean in terms of map packs and so forth.

PC version or nothing for me.

I was pleasantly surprised and hopeful after Max Payne 3 that Rockstar can do PC correctly, albeit late, as usual.

RDR's lack of PC version will forever stain Rockstars reputation for me but a proper GTA V PC version (up to par in terms of features and quality that are found in MP3) will go a long way.

bud23

They moved their Vancouver studio (authors of Bully) into the Toronto one (authors of Max Payne 3) i didn't know they also moved the Toronto one.

Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that it is expanding its development capabilities in Toronto, and has opened a larger, new, custom-built facility in Oakville, Ontario for the Rockstar Toronto team. The studio expansion is being supported by the Ontario government. Financial details were not disclosed.

http://us.generation-nt.com/rockstar-games-expands-toronto-development-studio-press-3642961.html

Rottweiler sidekick!

Interested in seeing how multiple main characters would work if that rumor's true; not sure it's something I'd want, but they could do some interesting things with it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Aliens I definitely agree on.

Tomb Raider might have partially been, though I think Square Enix is actually willing to invest in $30+ million in marketing in March for it, which is still a solid window historically for million plus sellers in the U.S. alone.

March is still tricky though due to the number of high profile titles.

Yel, it is. Im sure Tomb Raider will do fine (like you said, Square-Enix seems heavily invested into it) but Lara has to deal with Gears of War: Judgement, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Sim City, and God of War: Ascension in the same month along with the crazy hype for GTAV coming soon. I guess it's one of those out of the frying pan and into the fryer type situations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Im sure Tomb Raider will do fine (like you said, Square-Enix seems heavily invested into it) but Lara has to deal with Gears of War: Judgement and God of War: Ascension in the same month along with the crazy hype for GTAV coming soon. I guess it's one of those out of the frying pan and into the fryer type situations.

While I definitely see your sentiment and think that some games have succeeded releasing in the Fall when most of the non-huge games have left, I do think that going up against two non-numbered entries in big franchises is probably less painful than Halo 4, Black Ops 2, and Assassin's Creed 3 in late October/early November.

I feel the game's main problem remains 8-10 hour, singleplayer only third person shooter, which I'm not sure has a solution outside of taking a time machine to 2008.

Squire

Banned
I agree with you on that front, and my proposal is they're going to take over the studio and rebrand it to Rockstar Czech.

I wonder, would Dan Houser write that game then? Actually, did he or any other R* writers assist McNamara on LA NOIRE's script once R* picked that up?

Gorillaz

Lets not forget Naughty Dogs new IP The Last of Us ALSO launching around this time(cant see them wait longer then summer to release)

Holy shit next year will be brutal

antitrop

I understand why. How though? As a GTA fan I can't even handle the thought of waiting an extra day for this game, let alone 6-12 months. It would be absolute torture, surely?
I played GTA IV on Xbox 360.

Knowing what I know now I totally would have waited 6 more months, easily. If GTAV modding ever even comes cloes to IceEnhancer, it's totally worth the wait.
Or just double dip, which I might just end up doing.

Skiesofwonder

While I definitely see your sentiment and think that some games have succeeded releasing in the Fall when most of the non-huge games have left, I do think that going up against two non-numbered entries in big franchises is probably less painful than Halo 4, Black Ops 2, and Assassin's Creed 3 in late October/early November.

You are probably right, but then again people are more likely to buy multiple games during the Holidays compared to March....

I feel the game's main problem remains 8-10 hour, singleplayer only third person shooter, which I'm not sure has a solution outside of taking a time machine to 2008.

Heh well I expect lots of Uncharted comparsions during the advertisements, but that's for a different topic.

Squire

Banned
Lets not forget Naughty Dogs new IP The Last of Us ALSO launching around this time(cant see them wait longer then summer to release)

I thought that as well for quite a while. Then last month they said they were still throwing around ideas for MP. Around the same time, Ellie's actress posted a pic from a mo-cap session, so the SP isn't even finished.

It's not going to be out before October.

diamount

Banned
I never get the PC version of any game I'm excited for anyway. I have a great PC that I love to log into to play Borderlands 2 with a friend, but if it's a game I'm absolutely giddy about, I want to pop that shit into a console and sit back on the couch and get immersed in the big screen with the lights off. Console magic

Yeah because you're not able to hook up a computer to a TV or use BPM.

Skiesofwonder

I know that the PS4 is rumored to launch next holiday season, but The Last of Us just screams Fall of 2013.

Fjordson

We agree on everything! I must say Ballad of Gay Tony was my favorite romp in Liberty City. Loved Niko & Johnny, but Luis + fire rounds + parachutes = bliss. Give us more robust single player episodes- new characters to play as, new stories to experience, new weapons to mess with. Rockstar does wonders with their expansions.
Totally agreed. When you add the two DLC's to the base game, you see just how thoroughly R* was able to explore Liberty City as a setting. I loved the contrast between the dirtier, nastier view of the city from Johnny's and his gang's point of view and the glitzier, cleaner, though equally nasty high life from Luis' point of view working for Tony.

And towards the end when R* had all three protagonists cross paths. Fantastic.

I understand why. How though? As a GTA fan I can't even handle the thought of waiting an extra day for this game, let alone 6-12 months. It would be absolute torture, surely?

The reason I'm waiting for the PC version is that I don't own any consoles (anymore).

I also refuse to give Rockstar any more money that I absolutely have too if they are forcing me to wait for the PC version. They are lucked they are getting my money at all.

I can almost guarantee that is one of the main reasons they delay the PC version, is to basically force people to double dip. If PC launched same day they wouldn't get as many console sales. I refuse to bow to their wishes.

antitrop

Back in December 2011, USA Today implied that late 2012-early 2013 was the window they were contemplating in one of their interviews: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=110941

They haven't said anything since then, so I'm expecting they'll hit Q2 2013 instead.
Could be the game of the summer!

I can almost guarantee that is one of the main reasons they delay the PC version, is to basically force people to double dip. If PC launched same day they wouldn't get as many console sales. I refuse to bow to their wishes.
I really, really don't think that's it.

StuBurns

Banned
Back in December 2011, USA Today implied that late 2012-early 2013 was the window they were contemplating in one of their interviews: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=110941

They haven't said anything since then, so I'm expecting they'll hit Q2 2013 instead.
I think they possibly took that from GI. Even at E3 ND distanced themselves from any window, and heavily implied it was a long way off.

We'd know more if it was so soon, there'd be pack-in MP beta access with GoW or whatever, we know nothing, and have seen very little. Sony also have nothing for the back half of the year, and three games major games for the first half.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think they possibly took that from GI. Even at E3 ND distanced themselves from any window, and heavily implied it was a long way off.

We'd know more if it was so soon, there'd be pack-in MP beta access with GoW or whatever, we know nothing, and have seen very little. Sony also have nothing for the back half of the year, and three games major games for the first half.

Game Informer wasn't out until February 2012: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461993

That said, 6+ months is more than enough for the second half a marketing campaign.

I would also propose Sony has a certain device for the back half of 2013 that will have a lot of games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The GI that announced the game, and gave a launch window that ND said they didn't give.

Look at the article and thread dates.

USA Today interviewed Naughty Dog after they had a trailer at the VGAs in December 2011.

Game Informer had a cover about the game that released in February 2012.

Naughty Dog did explicitly say they didn't give Game Informer the Q4 2012 date. I don't see any articles from them refuting the more nebulous USA window.

Angry Fork

smh @ PC gamers being shafted again. I have a PS3 but will definitely wait and see. Sucks I won't get to play it day one but oh well. Hopefully it doesn't take more than 6 months.

UrbanRats

Maybe CJ returned the favor and hooked up with Cesar's sister.

Why not Kendl's and Ceasar's son then?

Also, i know about the different universes thing, but CJ was at least shown in GTA4:
im8pCPAqFNdeF.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Look at the article and thread dates.

USA Today interviewed Naughty Dog after they had a trailer at the VGAs in December 2011.

Game Informer had a cover about the game that released in February 2012.

Naughty Dog did explicitly say they didn't give Game Informer the Q4 2012 date. I don't see any articles from them refuting the more nebulous USA window.
Maybe that's because it didn't cause the attention the GI article did, so they didn't feel the need to state it. If you listen to the GiantBomb interview from E3, the developer (lead designer?), strongly implies it's a long time off.

This is wildly off topic however, so we shall see. I will be stunned if it's anything before fall.

Extremely doubtful. Like, I don't think I could possibly agree less.

It will be pretty slim pickings next year for certain. I don't think anyone wants to duplicate the scenarios of the PS3 and 3DS launch, where God of War 2 and Pokemon B/W were launching for the legacy platform while the new platform struggled out of the gate. I'd be amazed if there were any major platform exclusives for PS3 or 360 after next fall.

Squire

Banned
I don't really think any window that may or not have been thrown out before matters. It's Fall. It's Fall based on how little they say and show at every event the games on display. We've seen one section of the SP and know nothing of the MP. Most of the characters are essentially the same footage re-edited. We are off-topic, but once more:

Not before October.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe that's because it didn't cause the attention the GI article did, so they didn't feel the need to state it. If you listen to the GiantBomb interview from E3, the developer (lead designer?), strongly implies it's a long time off.

This is wildly off topic however, so we shall see. I will be stunned if it's anything before fall.
Well, to tie this back on topic, we do know notably more about it than GTAV. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom