• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ULTROS! said:
So uh... How did the original ones look like?

Man, the hype kinda nosedived.
600full-guardian-heroejn1v.png

[Nintex]

LiK said:
I can still deal with this as long as the soundtrack is original. Don't mess with that!
Do you mean original original or remixed by uuh Crush 40 and Rebecca Black.

Nirolak said:
I don't know what they did but they somehow totally messed up the colors.

Galamauth

come to think of it SEGA was right to put a cease on desist notice on Streets of Rage Remake just to quell any notion they could be producing anything near that quality ever again as evidenced with this I suppose. :(((

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nirolak said:

Wow... Uh... Wow.

Wish they could have retained the original graphics. :/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Err... That Artwork doesn't look like GH artwork. What IS that? I guess I could imagine those being some of the demons from the underworld, but... what's the rest? A knight with an eye in his chest? Sure that's not for another announcement?

As for the screens.... errr.... I kinda like the pencil shades? But the rest of it... Faces look horrific! The trees in the BG and whatnot look like a joke. If this is what I have to go through, to get my GH on a console, fine, but... UGH!

At least it should preserve the animations and stuff, though...

So what are we to expect for effects now? Hmmm.... I wanna see how they handle things like the Undead Hero's full screen explosion....

Why no PSN release? Ikaruga, Rez HD, E4, this...

edit: Oh god that filer looks tacky. Didn't the original have 3D-esque 2D sprites (like Mischief Makers for example, another game that needs love). Only played the GBA GH.

Oh well, looks like the Saturn version is still definitive. All they had to do was upscale and leave an authentic 4:3 option. But noooo, they had to find a way mess it up. This is probably by Backbone too.

SAB CA said:
Err... That Artwork doesn't look like GH artwork. What IS that? I guess I could imagine those being some of the demons from the underworld, but... what's the rest? A knight with an eye in his chest? Sure that's not for another announcement?

As for the screens.... errr.... I kinda like the pencil shades? But the rest of it... Faces look horrific! The trees in the BG and whatnot look like a joke. If this is what I have to go through, to get my GH on a console, fine, but... UGH!

At least it should preserve the animations and stuff, though...

So what are we to expect for effects now? Hmmm.... I wanna see how they handle things like the Undead Hero's full screen explosion....

I don't think the animations are as good as you remember them.

Zabka

Well this is a real kick in the dick. The last fucking thing I'd want is the original graphics with a horrible filter on it.

And even worse, a brand new HUD with cheesy, mismatched graphics.

Luigiv

I think I'll just convince my friend who just recently bought 2 Saturns to buy the original version and play that instead.

Kafel

Banned
captmcblack said:
That filter just has to go. It's almost unplayable with it on...just look at it :(

In fact I took some steps away from my PC and those screens look wayyyyyyyyyyy better.

Lord-Audie said:
I think that's an overreaching statement.

It's GAF. This always happens, a classic game gets announced, gets a shit filter, GAF explodes and later it's revealed you can play with the original settings anyways.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
heh, i actually REALLY like it. it looks like the original, without the pixelization and passed through a yoshi's island filter :p

FOR

Go319

i was *THIS* close to buying a 360 only for this updated remake.

after screens? NO.

I'll keep my Saturn copy thanks. bye.

Teknoman

Well...to be honest i'll still bite if the soundtrack remains the same. Hopefully you can just turn off the filter, because thats not redrawn anything. I need some videos of this asap...also why would it be held off till fall if they seem like they are pretty much done?

The filter really doesnt bother me, but that damn hud has to go. Didnt backbone do this same crap to X-Men Arcade?

LiK

robut said:
It's GAF. This always happens, a classic game gets announced, gets a shit filter, GAF explodes and later it's revealed you can play with the original settings anyways.
I hope original mode is there......

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lord-Audie said:
I don't think the animations are as good as you remember them.

For a game that had as much going on as it did, sure they are!

And I'm referencing things like the hand-drawn motion blur on the sword swings and the like, specifically. I could imagine different artist trying to use CPU rendered after effects instead (Soul Calibur weapon trail style), or losing some of the personality in wacky characters like Super Zur.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
robut said:

not always, I think it was Metal Slug 3 that had no option to turn the filter off, and it was about as bad as this one.

It looks like a watercolor version, but I honestly don't think it looks bad, just very different. Still, I really hope there's an option for keeping the original style.

Just to compare, this is what the original looks like scaled up to 720p, ratio retained:

600full-guardian-heroeykqy.png

And with cubic filtering:

600full-guardian-heroecu2d.png

Top Bottom