• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

Tain

Blimblim said:
Just got some screens, it looks bad bad bad :/

High res backgrounds and the original sprites?

Honestly, I'm not crazy about the original sprites. I'd imagine they'd look pretty nasty when further upscaled and put on a high resolution background.

Or is it something else entirely?

edit: lol! 2xSai + touchup or some shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
image_guardian_heroes-pl13.jpg

image_guardian_heroes-tab6.jpg

image_guardian_heroes-zxyi.jpg

image_guardian_heroes-q9je.jpg

image_guardian_heroes-rz75.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
OMFG. Nobody has any idea how much this means to me.

We've been playing this game at get-togethers all the time till this day.

I can finally show my Serena, Sword Han, Genjuro, Randy, Super Zur, Kannon, etc, goodness.

Doesn't look too bad to me. If you can turn the filter off I'll turn it off if not ehh. I just want some online CO-OP Guardian Heroes action!

M3d10n

cjelly said:
I'm sure that filter can be turned off, right?
That's not a real-time filter. Backbone ran the sprites through some batch converter. Unless they have an option to view the original sprites (quite frankly: I'd rather have blown up unfiltered sprites).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Lord-Audie said:
Thank the norse gods that Sega doesn't base their decisions on what you need.

I'm sorry, at some point did I attack the extras during a black out? For Celestial Being's sake, I even said I'm BUYING this version even though I'm fine with the original that I have. I had no idea speaking for one's self about a game was such a folly.

Edit: oh damn, what the hell did they do to the beauty? That's ... oh god I hope we can change the style or something. Still buying it though out of principle for it's existence.

It's just a filter. I think it can be turned off.

I was hoping for remade scans of the original art.

Was hoping for too much.

Still looking forward for this

Tain

Wait, this is Backbone?

lol.

I would, without hesitation, take a lazy-ass blown up 320x224 bilinear-filtered viewport over this.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Seeing the pictures was a bit anti-climatic. Looks a bit "meh" to be honest. :/ I guess I expected more.

Microsoft wins the home console generation.

GAME OVER!

GO HOME SONY AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WRONG! >:|

This is awesome news.

I'm also glad I didn't waste my money on that piss poor wanna-be Castle Crashers. Come to daddy. :3

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Heres hoping for the old visuals, that "updated" look is not very pleasant.

Ganondorfo

What is actually your favorite videogame from treasure?

Mine is still gunstar heroes for the genesis. Treasure is probably the most hardcore developer in the industry.

I don't fucking care if it's been redone with claymation, it's godamn Guardian Heroes and it's a blast to play.

My only request was that it be made to let you play with 4 players locally instead of 2.

Galamauth

mumble mumble streets of rage remake mumble

i know i shouldn't compare the two, one had 8 or so years of development but that game has just spoiled me.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The Take Out Bandit said:
Microsoft wins the home console generation.

GAME OVER!

GO HOME SONY AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WRONG! >:|

This is awesome news.

I'm also glad I didn't waste my money on that piss poor wanna-be Castle Crashers. Come to daddy. :3

Oh dear.

Luigiv

These remastered graphics are incredibly ugly. Looks like someone just enlarged the sprites then traced over them in paint.

Ashkeloth

If this game does not have the original sprites as an option, consider it 1 less sale and one very angry Sega-loving consumer.

The whole point of redesigning the graphics is to make it look crisper and cleaner whilst still retaining the charm of the old graphics. The above screens look like the developers have literally given the original Guardian Heroes artwork to their children and told them to trace it and then added a few strange "shadow effects" that look to mimic Valkyria Chronicles poorly. It is an insult to the goofy-yet-great artstyle in the Saturn version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So uh... How did the original ones look like?

Man, the hype kinda nosedived.

Top Bottom