• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

torontoml

Just got back, thought it was excellent, will definitely purchase on Blu-ray. And it was a much better 3D experience.

Quick question does the after credit sequence have any significance? I'm unfamiliar with most of the marvel universe.

Neoxon

Just got back, thought it was excellent, will definitely purchase on Blu-ray. And it was a much better 3D experience.

Quick question does the after credit sequence have any significance? I'm unfamiliar with most of the marvel universe.
GotG came out in the States on the anniversary of Howard's movie, that's it. He may get a One-Shot, but don't expect much else.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/526396583718694912

GOTG is the third highest grossing film of 2014 behind Transformers and Maleficent.

So I'm guessing it's past X-Men DoFP as the highest grossing superhero film of the year then?
Yes, it did so this weekend, and is going to pass Maleficent by the next one.

Code:
Rank	Title (click to view)			Studio*	Worldwide	Domestic / %	Overseas / %
1	Transformers: Age of Extinction		Par.	$1,087.3	$245.4	22.6%	$841.9	77.4%
2	Maleficent				BV	$757.4		$241.0	31.8%	$516.3	68.2%
3	Guardians of the Galaxy			BV	$752.6		$328.6	43.7%	$424.0	56.3%
4	X-Men: Days of Future Past		Fox	$746.0		$233.9	31.4%	$512.1	68.6%
5	Captain America: The Winter Soldier	BV	$714.1		$259.8	36.4%	$454.3	63.6%
6	The Amazing Spider-Man 2		Sony	$709.0		$202.9	28.6%	$506.1	71.4%
7	Dawn of the Planet of the Apes		Fox	$707.2		$208.3	29.5%	$498.9	70.5%
8	How to Train Your Dragon 2		Fox	$615.0		$176.6	28.7%	$438.4	71.3%
9	Godzilla (2014)				WB	$525.0		$200.7	38.2%	$324.3	61.8%
10	Rio 2					Fox	$496.7		$131.5	26.5%	$365.2	73.5%

Yes, it did so this weekend, and is going to pass Maleficent by the next one.

Code:
Rank	Title (click to view)			Studio*	Worldwide	Domestic / %	Overseas / %
1	Transformers: Age of Extinction		Par.	$1,087.3	$245.4	22.6%	$841.9	77.4%
2	Maleficent				BV	$757.4		$241.0	31.8%	$516.3	68.2%
3	Guardians of the Galaxy			BV	$752.6		$328.6	43.7%	$424.0	56.3%
4	X-Men: Days of Future Past		Fox	$746.0		$233.9	31.4%	$512.1	68.6%
5	Captain America: The Winter Soldier	BV	$714.1		$259.8	36.4%	$454.3	63.6%
6	The Amazing Spider-Man 2		Sony	$709.0		$202.9	28.6%	$506.1	71.4%
7	Dawn of the Planet of the Apes		Fox	$707.2		$208.3	29.5%	$498.9	70.5%
8	How to Train Your Dragon 2		Fox	$615.0		$176.6	28.7%	$438.4	71.3%
9	Godzilla (2014)				WB	$525.0		$200.7	38.2%	$324.3	61.8%
10	Rio 2					Fox	$496.7		$131.5	26.5%	$365.2	73.5%

Well well well, would you look at that. 700 million worldwide huh? Who would have predicted that?

Oh that's right - me and TEJ did months before the movie came out. Never once doubted it too! :D

Jtrizzy

Proud of my fellow Americans for choosing this over Transformers. Aren't all of those movies straight up garbage? Why are they so popular overseas? Even with out China it beats Guardians.

Just got back from watching this at the cinema. It was absolutely terrific; I haven't enjoyed a film this much in a long time. I was impressed at how detailed they managed to make the universe, with enough time spent in each location to make it feel real but always moving on and keeping the pace going. I love the visuals and tone and humour. It was so lively and fun and colourful, and the characters worked really well together. The one thing I probably would change would be the romantic interest between Gamora and Star-Lord; that felt a bit needless. I really loved the subtle humour, like John C. Reilly calling him 'Star-Prince' near the beginning, and then when he was being processed the computer came up with his alias as 'Space-Lord'. I also loved it when Rocket woke up with bed hair :). The story was fine and while Ronan was a fair boring villain, there wasn't really time for anything more as there were already so many characters in the mix. The themes of friendship were a little cheesy but likeable, and I felt like there was a growing bond between the five over the course of the film. And oh man at the very beginning scene; I was almost in tears as
his mum spoke to him on her death bed before passing away
. It was pretty heavy stuff to begin the film with. The final battle was excellent and really reminded me of Star Wars. In fact, a lot of things reminded me of Star Wars, from the style of the world with its heroes and criminals and mercenaries and powerful warlords. So many characters were perfectly cast and in particular I thought Glenn Close was great as Nova Prime, as she brought an element of seniority and gravitas to the role. The CGI was excellent and although ubiquitous didn't feel too excessive and I loved how colourful they made everything.

So anyway, the short version is that I loved this and it might be my favourite MCU film yet (although I haven't seen The Winter Soldier). I like that these films are being woven together, and despite everything happening in each film behind the scenes we know that Thanos is gathering steam - it should be a pretty amazing climax, and probably unprecedented in the history of cinema (the only similar point of reference I can think of is SPECTRE from the Bond films). I wonder whether Marvel will bring the Avengers, Guardians etc together to battle him for the finale?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So anyway, the short version is that I loved this and it might be my favourite MCU film yet (although I haven't seen The Winter Soldier).

GotG was a stupendously awesome movie, but amazingly enough CA:TWS is at least as good, and possibly even better to be honest. The two movies are so close in excellence that it's honestly hard to pick one over the other. I'd say that technically CA:T WS is the better movie, but GotG is more fun. But CA:TWS has some great comedic parts too. Again the two are so great that it's hard for me o pick one over the other.

In short, you need to see Winter Soldier as soon as humanly possible!

jmood88

GotG was a stupendously awesome movie, but amazingly enough CA:TWS is at least as good, and possibly even better to be honest. The two movies are so close in excellence that it's honestly hard to pick one over the other. I'd say that technically CA:T WS is the better movie, but GotG is more fun. But CA:TWS has some great comedic parts too. Again the two are so great that it's hard for me o pick one over the other.

The Winter Soldier isn't just my favorite Marvel movie, it's one of my favorite movies period. Other than the stupid
we have to knock down all three helicarriers or else we'll fail
part of the ending, it was pretty much perfect.

Dalek

The Winter Soldier isn't just my favorite Marvel movie, it's one of my favorite movies period. Other than the stupid
we have to knock down all three helicarriers or else we'll fail
part of the ending, it was pretty much perfect.

I agree with you on the quality of WS, but I don't think that ending is stupid.
They knew knocking out Project Insight would pretty much achieve their short term goal-but it wasn't going to eliminate Hydra-and they had to ensure that the helicarriers were out of commission so HYDRA couldn't use them later.

They knew knocking out Project Insight would pretty much achieve their short term goal-but it wasn't going to eliminate Hydra-and they had to ensure that the helicarriers were out of commission so HYDRA couldn't use them later.

Well, at least wait until
the hellicarriers AREN'T over a city full of people before you shoot them down so you don't end up accidentally killing thousands of people.

neoanarch

Why are you using spoilers for TWS?

Anyway they were launched early. I don't think they planned to do it while they were in the air. But they factored it in.

Yeah; I didn't like Captain America: TFA, but I've seen enough of TWS to know that I'll probably like it a lot better. I'll be asking for it on DVD for Christmas, along with GotG and X-Men: DofP (which I also haven't seen, but know I will like). It's been a pretty damn good year for superhero flicks!

jmood88

I know why they did it, I just didn't like that they destroy that specific number and the whole "right in the nick of time" part was just too cliche for me. It didn't kill the movie or anything and I love the stuff with Steve and Bucky, I just wish that they didn't have such a cliche climax.

TEJ

In the {just released yesterday} honest trailers - saw review there's a nice nod to guardians of the galaxy in the starring section.

Oh man am I looking forward to the gotg honest trailers review.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
In the {just released yesterday} honest trailers - saw review there's a nice nod to guardians of the galaxy in the starring section.

Oh man am I looking forward to the gotg honest trailers review.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that too. One of my favorite trailers from them is Pacific Rim.

"Either the most awesome dumb movie ever made, or the dumbest most awesome movie ever made!!!"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have you noticed there are 2 versions of 'Come and get your love'? One with a distinct clean sound (re-recording?), and the one used in the movie (the original?). The latter sounds much better, but it sucks that on Spotify for example the Awesome Mix list links to the inferior (clean) recording. Hope that cassette they put out has the good version!

Have you noticed there are 2 versions of 'Come and get your love'? One with a distinct clean sound (re-recording?), and the one used in the movie (the original?). The latter sounds much better, but it sucks that on Spotify for example the Awesome Mix list links to the inferior (clean) recording. Hope that cassette they put out has the good version!

you can just replace it in spotify with the latter version. It's at least on there!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
you can just replace it in spotify with the latter version. It's at least on there!

Ow yeah of couse, made a seperate list and replaced it. I also put everything in order as it appears in the film:

wxpW3cY.png

Spirit in the Sky is only used in a trailer.

Jtrizzy

Now take the movie sound track and arrange it with Awesome Mix in the order of the movie. I've been meaning to do that, but too lazy. It's an awesome soundtrack to play with during marvel heroes instead of the in game music.

I want to see this movie again really badly, but there are no theatres around me showing it. :(

Strangely enough, Amazing will have the HD stream available November 18th, but the SD stream won't be available until December 9th, when the disks actually release.

So I still have to wait 2.5 more weeks. D:

TEJ

GOTG is close to 800 million MY GOD

who were all the naysayers who fucking told me that this wouldn't happen, and are you ready to eat some delicious crow?

Tizoc

who were all the naysayers who fucking told me that this wouldn't happen, and are you ready to eat some delicious crow?

Add in a side of Groot splinters.

Can't wait for the bluray so I can watch my relatives and family.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

The movie is currently at 765M and the only markets left are Italy and China.
In the first one it'll make about 5M more (currently at 5.6M), and in the second it's at about 94.9M, so it'd have to do an extra 30M+ for the movie to break 800M.
As much as I'd love to eat crow on this, I'm not sure at all it'll do it :(

I mean, I'm with you on being way into Guardians, but the movie really doesn't have a ton of steam left in it, man. It came out in August. It's down to pulling less than $1 million per week in the States. It's already been out in China for a month and already has $94.89 million there, $20 million less than Winter Soldier made there in the same time period. I'm not sure these films have super long legs domestically. Things usually fizzle out and we stop getting reports after like a month. Transformers: Age of Extinction's $300 million in China? Happened in its first month.

If Guardians crosses $800 million, it'll do it barely so. It will not go far beyond. There aren't any more countries to release in. Most places have had it for well over a month. I love this movie and hyped it to hell, but it's basically done as far as box office is concerned.

Just got back from watching this at the cinema. It was absolutely terrific; I haven't enjoyed a film this much in a long time. I was impressed at how detailed they managed to make the universe, with enough time spent in each location to make it feel real but always moving on and keeping the pace going. I love the visuals and tone and humour. It was so lively and fun and colourful, and the characters worked really well together. The one thing I probably would change would be the romantic interest between Gamora and Star-Lord; that felt a bit needless. I really loved the subtle humour, like John C. Reilly calling him 'Star-Prince' near the beginning, and then when he was being processed the computer came up with his alias as 'Space-Lord'. I also loved it when Rocket woke up with bed hair :). The story was fine and while Ronan was a fair boring villain, there wasn't really time for anything more as there were already so many characters in the mix. The themes of friendship were a little cheesy but likeable, and I felt like there was a growing bond between the five over the course of the film. And oh man at the very beginning scene; I was almost in tears as
his mum spoke to him on her death bed before passing away
. It was pretty heavy stuff to begin the film with. The final battle was excellent and really reminded me of Star Wars. In fact, a lot of things reminded me of Star Wars, from the style of the world with its heroes and criminals and mercenaries and powerful warlords. So many characters were perfectly cast and in particular I thought Glenn Close was great as Nova Prime, as she brought an element of seniority and gravitas to the role. The CGI was excellent and although ubiquitous didn't feel too excessive and I loved how colourful they made everything.

So anyway, the short version is that I loved this and it might be my favourite MCU film yet (although I haven't seen The Winter Soldier). I like that these films are being woven together, and despite everything happening in each film behind the scenes we know that Thanos is gathering steam - it should be a pretty amazing climax, and probably unprecedented in the history of cinema (the only similar point of reference I can think of is SPECTRE from the Bond films). I wonder whether Marvel will bring the Avengers, Guardians etc together to battle him for the finale?

My dad died just two weeks before the film released so that opening scene...fuck. I saw the movie with my son and he was a little worried about me. Hell, last week I was singing along to the soundtrack (as you do) and I got choked up during "O-o-h Child" because I was thinking of the scene where he's listening to Vol. 2 and thinking about his mom and I started thinking about my dad.

X05

Not sure if this was posted, but the Best Buy steelbook is indeed the same as the UK's :D

First steelbook ever, here I come.

Dai101

Banned
Not sure if this was posted, but the Best Buy steelbook is indeed the same as the UK's :D

First steelbook ever, here I come.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...............

Is this available in every BB? Including those NOT in the US?

X05

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...............

Is this available in every BB? Including those NOT in the US?
No idea, have the other steelbooks been available in other BBs?
If it isn't you could use a freight forwarder like I do, or maybe some GAFer can lend a hand there.

Well seeing as Best Buy is a US only story, I'm going to lean towards yes.
There are Best Buys in Canada, Mexico, and there were in UK and China at some point.

My body has been ready for MONTHS, I need it now D:

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-galaxy-bluray-bonus-features-detailed-73311/

Blu ray special features announced:

BONUS FEATURES (DIGITAL HD*, DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE, 3D BLU-RAY, BLU-RAY).

Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes: ‘Fake Laugh’ :)23), ‘The Klyn Will Have to Do’ :)41), ‘No, I’m the Stupid One’ :)27), ‘Sisterly Love’ (1:40), ‘Dancing Guard’ :)45)

Making-of Featurettes: ‘Guide to the Galaxy with James Gunn’ (20:01), ‘The Intergalactic Visual Effects for The Guardians of the Galaxy‘ (6:50)

Exclusive Look at Marvel’s The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2:08)

Gag Reel (3:42)

Audio Commentary with director James Gunn

Top Bottom