• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Good chance it gets destroyed in the second week. TMNT is going to make bank.

Turtles to put up similar numbers opening weekend as GoTG does opening weekend.. It will be #1 opening weekend, but it wont be a monster.

Of course, I thought How to Train Your Dragon 2 was going to be a beast at the box office this summer. So what do I know? Nothing. Just going off my gut. Which failed me with HtTYD2.

Neoxon

Apart from Peter Jason Quill are those other human looking characters actually human?
FTFY, his first name is Peter, not Jason. And no, Peter is the only legit human.
And if they follow the comics, Peter Quill isn't entirely human himself. In fact, the middle name comes from his alien father.

Good chance it gets destroyed in the second week. TMNT is going to make bank.
Part of me thinks that we're all overestimating TMNT (myself included). There's not a lot of buzz like there was for Apes & now Guardians. I honestly think how Transformers turned out may hurt TMNT.

I feel like Guardians can do at least Dawn of the Planet of the Apes numbers, despite that one being a sequel.

70 mil +
My thoughts exactly. Though I'm not sure if GotG truly counts as a new franchise, as it's part of the MCU, which already gives the film a box office boost.

But I guarantee you, if this movie crosses the $70 million barrier, Marvel Studios & Disney are gonna party. That & Marvel would gain the license to legally print money.

Mariolee

FTFY, his first name is Peter, not Jason. And no, Peter is the only legit human.
And if they follow the comics, Peter Quill isn't entirely human himself. In fact, the middle name comes from his alien father.

Is Jason a typical alien name lol

overcast

I think it opens between 65-70 million, and caps out around 175 million domestically, and I have no clue WW.

Hopefully it's more successful though. TMNT won't be big, but it doesn't help.

Xamdou

Really think GOTG will be #1 for several weeks. Just plaster the Marvel/Disney name every time it is advertised and it will do wonders. The Disneyland preview in 3D with shaking seats is what sealed the deal for me.

Mariolee

Really think GOTG will be #1 for several weeks. Just plaster the Marvel/Disney name everywhere and it will do wonders. The Disneyland preview in 3D with shaking seats is what sealed the deal for me.

But what if they showed GotG...

pooltheater.jpg

...in a boat?

Would your deal be double sealed?

Dai101

Banned
I will go IMAX 3D, that's enough for me. I already strugle just with 3D, i don't think i can handle being in one of those 4DX teathers.

BLACKLAC

Really think GOTG will be #1 for several weeks. Just plaster the Marvel/Disney name every time it is advertised and it will do wonders. The Disneyland preview in 3D with shaking seats is what sealed the deal for me.

Yeah the preview reactions is why I'm thinking around 90m, just need the same twitter hype on a larger scale with early screenings.

Currently GotG is tracking at around $60 million opening. Hopefully it has good legs. TMNT, The Giver, Expendables 3, Let's Be Cops and Sin City also open in August.

TEJ

After I watch the movie, I am going to pour one out for a very close friend.......incredibly close.......who was looking forward to seeing this movie but unfortunately will never be able to see it.....

Neoxon

After I watch the movie, I am going to pour one out for a very close friend.......incredibly close.......who was looking forward to seeing this movie but unfortunately will never be able to see it.....
Go watch it again in honor of your friend.

Also, added the cherry on top.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Part of me thinks that we're all overestimating TMNT (myself included). There's not a lot of buzz like there was for Apes & now Guardians. I honestly think how Transformers turned out may hurt TMNT.

My thoughts exactly. Though I'm not sure if GotG truly counts as a new franchise, as it's part of the MCU, which already gives the film a box office boost.

But I guarantee you, if this movie crosses the $70 million barrier, Marvel Studios & Disney are gonna party. That & Marvel would gain the license to legally print money.

Nah i think Turtles will take number 1...even if it does look fucking messed up ...(cant get that shredder 50 knives scene out of my head) , the TMNT are big like TF are big and they will make bank...im guessing.

My nephew is 8 and he REALLY wants to see GoTG though i think the movie will have some legs and do respectable numbers maybe 400-550 mil overall.

Dai101

Banned
Nova Prime, lokking so sharp there. I'm so glad big names are ok with doing this kind of bits in this movies. Loved Odin, my mouth was in the floor when Robert Redford was on screen and can't wait to see Michael Douglas in NOT-wright's ANT-MAN

pxleyes

Banned
Nova Prime, lokking so sharp there. I'm so glad big names are ok with doing this kind of bits in this movies. Loved Odin, my mouth was in the floor when Robert Redford was on screen and can't wait to see Michael Douglas in NOT-wright's ANT-MAN

This x1000. They all bring a certain gravitas.

Damn bro that's tough to hear. My friend passed away days after we watched inception. My last words to him were "how the fuck you ain't seen the matrix yet? Next week we gonna watch it. Later."

TEJ

Damn bro that's tough to hear. My friend passed away days after we watched inception. My last words to him were "how the fuck you ain't seen the matrix yet? Next week we gonna watch it. Later."

He was more than just a friend, he was the older brother I wish I had growing up.

I posted a lot more details in my disney community thread.

Top Bottom