• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Instro

Wow those are some beautiful screens. The Grove looks fantastic.

Jira said:
There's without a doubt in my mind that ANet has the greatest art team in the gaming industry. I said "god damn" at those screenshots. The voice acting is great too, the males sound ent/treeish.
I think its the combination of a top quality art team and a design team that goes the extra mile to make the game look as close as possible to the concept art. They probably all work very closely to make it work.

Jira

They do actually, they all work together in groups of 5-8 people, no offices, no cubicles. The transition from their concept art to in-game model is honestly amazing, typically most devs end up modeling something that only slightly resembles the concept art, in this case ANet's art team manages to pretty much copy the damn thing 1:1.

etiolate

Banned
I'm not sure if ANet has the greatest art team, but they are top notch in transfering art concept to in game realities. They are open to the idea of adding in something just because the art is inspiring on its own. Nightfall has many examples of this, where there are areas that serve no game purpose other than looking awesome and giving the player a sense of a fantasized world being realized.

Keasar

Seems like they mixed the background with the set from Avatar. :p

Not my cup of tea, prefer technological cities so I am going to be right home in the Black Citadel or Rata Sum, nice looking though.

Complistic

Keasar said:
Seems like they mixed the background with the set from Avatar. :p

Not my cup of tea, prefer technological cities so I am going to be right home in the Black Citadel or Rata Sum, nice looking though.

Rata Sum is magical not technological :p

Jira

Could someone post the Day 3 blog for me when it's up? It's unlikely I'll be home when it's posted and I could do so from my phone, but someone will probably already have done it by the time I finished. Thanks in advance.

PewPewK

etiolate said:
I'm not sure if ANet has the greatest art team, but they are top notch in transfering art concept to in game realities. They are open to the idea of adding in something just because the art is inspiring on its own. Nightfall has many examples of this, where there are areas that serve no game purpose other than looking awesome and giving the player a sense of a fantasized world being realized.

I'd say the have one of the most fantastic concept art teams out there. As evidenced by the countless awards they've taken home.

r4z4

Jira said:
Could someone post the Day 3 blog for me when it's up? It's unlikely I'll be home when it's posted and I could do so from my phone, but someone will probably already have done it by the time I finished. Thanks in advance.

I should be at home to do it.

Victrix

*beard*
I suppose I should finish my Hall of Monuments up before the GW2 beta gets near, or it's going to be even more expensive to complete.

I'm sitting at 23/30, with 2 points in my inventory, and about 180p.

Conveniently though, I just got two everlasting tonics from my sixth year birthday presents. I think if I sell those off, I can get enough money to buy the last two sets of elite armor and four more weapons to hit 30 points.

Jira

Thanks for posting it. I am just floored at how beautiful GW2 is, I mean FLOORED. My jaw was on the ground that entire video. Simply beautiful and this makes the wait that much harder.

r4z4

Four years ago, the Guild Wars 2 writers and designers came to the artists with a crazy direction for a new race. They are a brand new species to Tyria—less than 25 years old—innocent to the world, they nevertheless possess a collective wisdom. They have a certain noble quality, incorporating Arthurian chivalry as well as all the secrets that the darker places may reveal. They are mysterious. They are unusual. They are unique. They are the sylvari.
Oh yeah, and they are plants.

In the following video, Continuity & Lore Designer Ree Soesbee and I take a look at the unique background of the sylvari and how our enigmatic plant race has grown and flowered over the years from the initial designs to where we are today. We hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJVYf8PCHE (Same as the video above - ads)

Complistic

r4z4 said:
Four years ago, the Guild Wars 2 writers and designers came to the artists with a crazy direction for a new race. They are a brand new species to Tyria—less than 25 years old—innocent to the world, they nevertheless possess a collective wisdom. They have a certain noble quality, incorporating Arthurian chivalry as well as all the secrets that the darker places may reveal. They are mysterious. They are unusual. They are unique. They are the sylvari.

In the following video, Continuity & Lore Designer Ree Soesbee and I take a look at the unique background of the sylvari and how our enigmatic plant race has grown and flowered over the years from the initial designs to where we are today. We hope you enjoy it!

Looks so good. And sounds so good too. Jeremy Soule is just fantastic.

Also really happy to see the facial expressions. Characters were a bit (totally) unemotional last go around.

r4z4 said:

The more I see of this the more I think they knocked this one out of the park. Really fond of their design philosophies and their ability to both think outside of the box and back it up in production.

r4z4

Complistic said:
Looks so good. And sounds so good too. Jeremy Soule is just fantastic.

Also really happy to see the facial expressions. Characters were a bit (totally) unemotional last go around.

Yep they look fantastic, although I was slightly unsure about the deep voices for males at first, but I suppose it makes sense as they are born adults.

Helmholtz

zazrx said:
If I end up liking it and I buy the trilogy and the other expansion on Steam I'm going to be playing solo since my friends aren't interested. Can I play solo, will I need other? Is there still a community?
Most parts of the games are definitely solo-able, especially if you get heros (AI companions that you can customize) by playing Nightfall and EOTN. Yes there are still quite a few people playing, however most of them are grinding end game areas in order to get money/titles. You can always just join a friendly guild in order to find help. There are a lot of active guilds out there.

Complistic

Nemesis121 said:
If you are Vloxx Falls in Eye of the North you can go check out baby Sylvari tree...

gw010k.jpg

It's the pale white one by the centaur.
eh, I'm sort of covering it up, but that's good enough for people who don't want to boot it up.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Certainly easy to imagine one named Avocado.

It might be taken already....unless this fact has been changed, I remember Anet saying Guildwars character names will be reserved in part 2, a name like Nemesis is already taken, but I think it's for a limited time....

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Certainly easy to imagine one named Avocado.

Dam that's a nice idea. Aguacate y Chile en tu boca ... >_>.
That's it I'm creating a Silvary as my second character, I'm really liking the design but I still roll my eyes when they say it has never been done in a Fantasy setting.

Nemesis121 said:
It might be taken already....unless this fact has been changed, I remember Anet saying Guildwars character names will be reserved in part 2, a name like Nemesis is already taken, but I think it's for a limited time....

You must have 2 names in Guild Wars like Avocado Salad.

Complistic

HappyPuppy said:
Dam that's a nice idea. Aguacate y Chile en tu boca ... >_>.
That's it I'm creating a Silvary as my second character, I'm really liking the design but I still roll my eyes when they say it has never been done in a Fantasy setting.

You must have 2 names in Guild Wars like Avocado Salad.

typically your "plant race" like dryad or something is really ancient, I think sylvari are pretty unique in that they are only 25 years old max.

etiolate

Banned
sylvari = dryad + Avatar doe eyed faces

Still not liking the redesign. They shouldn't have gone half-way on the concept. This talk of not humanoid but "the illusion of humanoid" is kinda silly. There is no illusion. You made Avatar people with leaves and Avatar people are made to be identifiable to humans. I hope they have some really plant-like options that are far more alien looking. I can't help but see a grove full of Sylvari dyed blue in the game's future.

etiolate said:

Still not liking the redesign. They shouldn't have gone half-way on the concept. This talk of not humanoid but "the illusion of humanoid" is kinda silly. There is no illusion. You made Avatar people with leaves and Avatar people are made to be identifiable to humans. I hope they have some really plant-like options that are far more alien looking. I can't help but see a grove full of Sylvari dyed blue in the game's future.
Am I missing an interview where they said they were trying to make these look like Avatar critters, because several people have mentioned this and I'm really not seeing it.

I'm always up for non-human races actually looking non-human, but what they've come up with works for me. I can see how you might think it's stopping half-way, but I appreciate the effort being made to not just make them elves wearing leaves.

Morkins

Banned
etiolate said:

The Avatar comparisons are getting annoying... Just an FYI, but Avatar was the exact opposite of an original concept, and the Sylvari are NOT a "Native American" proxy....

Morkins

Banned
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Am I missing an interview where they said they were trying to make these look like Avatar critters, because several people have mentioned this and I'm really not seeing it.

I'm always up for non-human races actually looking non-human, but what they've come up with works for me. I can see how you might think it's stopping half-way, but I appreciate the effort being made to not just make them elves wearing leaves.

No. It is just people who were introduce to "fantasy" through the Lord of the Rings movies and Avatar, and can't get past the fact that the Sylvari have a big tree as their home(despite the fact that fantasy stories have been doing this type of thing for elven proxies for decades)

etiolate

Banned
Fine Ham Abounds said:

The comparison is there because there is a visual similarity and Avatar is a recent cultural phenomena. The eyes of the Sylvari are the thing that really triggers the Avatar comparison. The nature connection doesn't help.

Morkins: I didn't say Avatar was original. That's part of the criticism.

Morkins

Banned
etiolate said:
The comparison is there because there is a visual similarity and Avatar is a recent cultural phenomena. The eyes of the Sylvari are the thing that really triggers the Avatar comparison. The nature connection doesn't help.

Morkins: I didn't say Avatar was original. That's part of the criticism.

The eyes are not at all like the Na'vi
ParfumSide.jpg

That is definitely a human eye shape, compared to the larger, almost cat-like eyes of the Na'vi
Zoe-Saldana-Avatar.jpg

The only legitimate comparisons that could be made are the concept of a "Home Tree" but that is common to Elven proxy races in Fantasy stories going back decades, and isn't something unique to Avatar, and it makes sense for a plant species to be based out of a tree...

As for what you can do to make it look different
igXoe.jpg

sylvari3.jpg

WhintSeries.jpg

Soulstar

Gotta say that I'm loving the design for the Sylvari. They'll definitely be either my first or second character.

Edit: Also I can't see the avatar comparison at all.

PewPewK

Funny, my friend (who doesn't visit GAF at all) thought Avatar almost instantly after I showed him the video/pictures of the Grove.

I can understand where people are getting the Avatar look-a-like idea from, but you're right - they're not that similar.

Forkball

PewPewK said:
How unoriginal and bland you are. Let me ask you, do you even like fun? :p
Every time I play a game where I chose a race and class, I always go with human warrior. Yes, I am that boring. But for Guild Wars 2 I'm interested in trying out the thief class. Still going with human though.

Interesting. I just happened to watch the trailer for this game and am now anticipating updates.

So for those that have played GW1, is the PVP good? I might try out the trial in the next couple weeks to see if GW2 might be something I'm interested in.

BrettWeir

flyinpiranha said:
Interesting. I just happened to watch the trailer for this game and am now anticipating updates.

So for those that have played GW1, is the PVP good? I might try out the trial in the next couple weeks to see if GW2 might be something I'm interested in.

I honestly believe that GW2 will be a completely different animal than GW. Core concepts will remain, but it seems as if they have started (almost) from the ground up. Being that barely any of GW2 is instanced, it's already a different beast.

The GvG organized PvP may be the same in setup, but still feel the game is going to make it completely different than GW1 PvP.

Forkball said:
Every time I play a game where I chose a race and class, I always go with human warrior. Yes, I am that boring. But for Guild Wars 2 I'm interested in trying out the thief class. Still going with human though.

Asura Thief for WvWvW for me (Lurikeen Nightshade!!!)
Charr Engineer for everything else

Rad-

flyinpiranha said:

One of the best PVP games ever made. Though by now, all the other PVP modes except GvG have really fallen. During the launch time, Hall of Heroes was amazingly fun. It was basically like a tournament style public PVP.

And the Sylvari shot up to being one of my favorite races. Especially that dark skinned Sylvari with the yellow eyes looks awesome.

gunbo13

Rad- said:
One of the best PVP games ever made. Though by now, all the other PVP modes except GvG have really fallen. During the launch time, Hall of Heroes was amazingly fun. It was basically like a tournament style public PVP.
GvG tanked considerably over time as well due to over-balance. The level of play also has to be considerably lower since most of the old hat PvP players moved on. Some of the strats run during the popular times were mind bending. I ran with some callers who knew some magic shit to screw teams up like multiple sub-splits, isolation antics, and alternating map pressures.

The PvP was godly during the early-mid life cycle. Overpowered everything; all that existed was bitterness and contempt. It was awesome.

Kyaw said:
That tree environment and the art style is really amazing.

I'm interested. TELL ME MORE.
Like trees, the Sylvari need water to survive.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sylvari definitely look cool. I can somewhat understand certain people claiming it looks like the Na'vi from Avatar, but I'd say it has more similarities with Spar from Breath of Fire II than anything else.

Still I love the idea behind them and I love the redesign. What I am most interested in is how different armor will look on them.

Top Bottom