• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Elginer

It's more like the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

This guy asked if Felicia Day contributed anything to the medium; Destructoid asked him if he contributed to the medium.

Obviously both parties felt the respective answer was "no", but only Destructoid had the authority to do anything about it.

Then why did they hire him in the first place? If he was no contribution to the medium?

On the one hand, the guy was a complete dick. One the other hand, why does Felicia Day persist as a "thing" in gaming/geek culture? She's female, reasonably attractive, seems genuinely interested in geeky/gaming stuff, and happens to be a minor actress. If you take away the female part, what's left to make her stand out? What has she done? She made The Guild, and that has to count for something, right?

I don't think there's anything wrong with what I *think* he was trying to say, but that sure is not the way to say it. I just wonder what precipitated that rant in the first place. And worth being fired over? Maybe not, with a sincere apology.

Even without the "chick" part, she still seems more hardcore than 90% of the so-called celebs who game out there.

That stuff reminds me of something that happened right here on gaf...

257722-bell_print_large.jpg

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Fired? For that?

Don't get me wrong, it's not nice to say, but I could imagine so, so, much more worse things to say.

Really not even a question of being nice; she's notable BECAUSE she contributed something creative to the industry. In even the most generous reading, he's wrong and bad at his "job". Also destructoid is the worst and should fire every staff member.

scitek

Felicia Day might not even phony in the slightest, but I see her on gaming shows, at conventions, at E3, etc. and it seems like she's used as some kind of ambassador for geeks or something. She's clearly found her niche and run with it, which is great for her, but through really no fault of her own, the very mentioning of her name annoys me.

legacyzero

Banned
Holy shit, this guy has gone straight Charlie Sheen!

Why would he just up and say shit like that about Felicia Day like that? I mean, I mildly agree with the "glorified booth babe" thing, but it's not like she's done any HARM to the industry, either.

I actually like her.

Kinyou

Justify Destructoid not firing this douche

wWjN3.png

or admit your principles are worthless.
holy crap.

And that guy actually wonders why he gets called misogynistic?

Saying "do you matter at all?" is pretty damn harsh in my opinion.
But in some way it also feels a little justified. Felicia Day can be so 'in your face' that you might start wondering "hey, why is she actually here?" Just like so many people wonder why Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian are actually famous. When you actually read Felicia Day's Wikipedia article you'll find out rather quickly why she's famous, but I can understand why people sometimes have this attitude.

V_Arnold

Because it's a good question? It may not be appropriate, but it is a question. And you missed my edit, I'm just tired of the industry propping women up simply because they're women. The industry also has an issue with women in the workplace with issues like this question even being stated in that tone and how some women catch flak in the workplace for being a woman.

I think it should really be rebalanced to where it's more "who gives a shit" about the gender and more on the merits of the person. Which is where I was going with that.

No, it is not. Whether you like Felicia in the Guild, or in that Supernatural episode, or in the very brilliant Dr. Horrible Sing-Along stuff is up to you, but anything else is just pointless rhetoric of an uncontrolled envy and salt. People who spend energy on getting jealous of others over internet fame will expose themselves in ways like this. Personal issues and low self-esteem boils through the undisciplined very easily, and they need to deal with it sooner or later.

Slayven

Only person that handled it right is Felica Day, by ignoring the shit. Wheaton also is ace because he doesn't give a fuck. He has years experience dealing with entitled douches.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
On a separate note, I just went to Destructoid on a non-adblocked computer and they are McGriddled as HECK for the hut, is that normal?

Canuck76

Banned
Didn't have to insult but yeah.

That dragon age thing she's in is so godawful any contribution she made has been wiped away.

That craps not good even for syfy. For syfy

Grecco

Jim Sterling is kind of a douchebag. This is known, doesnt mean that what this freelancer did was right or anything.

Basically Pro Tip, dont do stupid shit on social media

I think that the Destructoid response tweets are more offensive than the Ryan ones.

Ryan maybe has been rude and stupid, but their critics had a point. Is obvious that the "game guru" status of Felicia Day came, in part, because is a gaming girl.

But Destructoid fired a worker for a tweet rant (something not even related with his Destructoid work), and then apologyzed to felicia and their fans in FOUR tweets, all them very embarrasing.

rdrr gnr

Don't have much to say about the exchange. I've always deeply disliked Wheaton. Felicia Day and this journalist guy are people I've only heard about in passing. Day seems alright.

Curufinwe

When I first read the thread title I was worried Max Scoville had said something on The Comedy Button and lost his job because of it. So I'm glad that's not the case.

This is actually the first time I've heard about Sterling's vicious misogyny and I'm genuinely surprised he's still employed.

Arcteryx

Didn't have to insult but yeah.

That dragon age thing she's in is so godawful any contribution she made has been wiped away.

That craps not good even for syfy. For syfy

Kinda feel the same. Seems like a pointless thing to get mad about, let alone eventually fired for.

There are plenty of people deserving of blame within the gaming industry, but I don't think Day is one of them.

This is actually the first time I've heard about Sterling's vicious misogyny and I'm genuinely surprised he's still employed.

For better or worse he is Destructoid. Plus the person he attacked probably didn't have 2+ million followers and some very influential friends that could do severe damage to Dtoid's rep.
Also from reading the argument posted just below I'd say Jim was actually in the right. Context does wonders.

It's not right, but I suppose it's better to satisfy the majority of the people.

The guy kind of has a point she is popular for being a good looking gamer girl
and making some crappy online show. I highly doubt she would have became as popular as she did if it was not for her looks.

He shouldn't have been fired for that. In fact, he kind of has a point. As usual, a complete overreaction to a stupid comment. I thought his response to getting canned was witty and hilarious.

I love the implication that good looking women never deserve success.

Jim attacking the woman in those tweets doesn't make him a misogynist. People need to stop throwing that word around so stupidly. It means he doesn't like HER. If I met Gloria Alred, I'd have to fight the urge to punch her in the face. That doesn't mean I want to punch all women in the face.

And in Jim's defense, her tweets were as bad or worse than his. And I don't even like Jim.

conman

I love the implication that good looking women never deserve success.
Indeed. Or, more generally, that women can only succeed through beauty, bitchiness, or sluttiness. Most successful women have been accused of using one (or more) of those three things to attain their success.

Whether they really "mean" it or not, the man-boys at Destructoid seem pretty comfortable tossing all three around.

Sanjay

Why gaming journalism will never hit off, you just can't ask them stupid hard hitting questions like you would see in any other entertainment industry.

Why gaming journalism will never hit off, you just can't ask them stupid hard hitting questions like you would see in any other entertainment industry.

Really, the general journalism industry is like that. Holding your tongue so that you don't piss off the people who give you money/people who click on your page.

Not all outlets are like this, but many of the major ones are.

Fox News doesn't get journalism correct either, but no one claims world news-based journalism can't be done right.

Yeah I don't much care for Felicia Day, and if I were his boss I wouldn't have fired him over that, though there would have been a "talk." But hey, anyone stupid enough to burn bridges in the gaming industry probably isn't going to last very long anyway.

Also as others have said he is factually incorrect. She has materially contributed to gaming at this point, much more then he has, so it's a rather stupid statement even if you don't like her.

Top Bottom