• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 is now FREE for XBOX Live GOLD members. Come JOIN US IN MULTIPLAYER!!!

Gui_PT

Just got done playing a few rounds. Honestly it felt a huge step backwards after Halo 4. Where is the sprinting? Where are the jetpacks? Who thought it was a good idea to make B the melee button? and I can't believe how ugly the graphics look now they barely look better than Halo 2.

tumblr_lxfpxa36xE1qfbofi.gif

What a horrible horrible post

Basically everything you like in Halo 4 is what makes Halo currently suck
Sprinting ruins maps because now the maps are created with sprinting in mind, it also kinda ruins encounters between players.

Jetpack completely destroys the flow of every single map there is and will ever be, good or bad.

B the melee button? Bumper Jumper is the way to go.

And no HaloGAF, Recon is for wusses. Though it would be nice to customize your controls.

Halo 3 looks great btw.

E: What saddens me the most is that tons of people think the same way and those are the people 343 has been trying to please and will continue to try to please.

HYPERBOLEALO

HTupolev

Just got done playing a few rounds. Honestly it felt a huge step backwards after Halo 4. Where is the sprinting?
Run and gun. Not run or gun.

Where are the jetpacks?
Not breaking map map flow, thankfully.

Who thought it was a good idea to make B the melee button?
The same company that made Halo 1. Their skills at designing console shooter control schemes were highly regarded.

and I can't believe how ugly the graphics look now they barely look better than Halo 2.
Uh huh.
Halo 3 lighting model is best lighting model.

//=============================

So here is my understanding of how Halo 3's Lighting is different based on their Presentation "Lighting and Materials of Halo 3":

This is my understanding of how it works, but I may be oversimplifying or missing some of it, but If I am understanding this right this is fucking genius.
I've combed through that presentation, but I didn't fully grasp what all they were doing with their lighting maps.

Supposing you were going to use SH coefficients for specular "cube maps," I'm curious as to how you'd go about efficiently unpacking the information. There are ways that might work, but it would get weird.
I mean, one of the main reasons SH's are desirable for PRT is that you don't have to unpack the details about the shape of the spherical function in order to carry out integrals.

SHs are so cool. (But I hear Wavelets are even more fun.)
SHs are extremely friendly to work with (until you try low-level calculus on them, at which point ASSOCIATED LEGENDRE FUNCTIONS ARGH NOOOOO), but wavelets can certainly get interesting (and efficient). I haven't personally dealt with wavelets like, at all, though.

Does this help? :)
The issue is more semantic than technical understanding. Colour depth needs clarification when dealing with FP and HDR formats, and especially when dealing with unique/bizarre/whatever backbuffer formats.

(Intersting aside: According to Bungie in that Reach DF Interview, the actual reason for sub-720p Halo 3 was more due to the dynamic shadow depth buffers, not the double framebuffer as commonly stated.)
They said shadows caused it alongside the dual buffers. Those dual buffers together are over four megabytes.

Overdoziz

Banned
Where can I find the MLG settings for v8 nowadays?

Also 4v4 customs anybody?
1. Boot up Halo 3.
2. Send a friends request to 'MLG Playlist'
3. Go to the profile of MLG Playlist by selecting that friends request. (This should show up at the top of your friends list)
4. Go to the friends of MLG Playlist and look for the gamertag 'MLG Gametypes'
5. Go to the profile of MLG Gametypes and if you're in Halo 3 a 'File Share' option should pop up after a couple of seconds, select it.
6. Download the MLG gametypes and maps

You have to jump through some hoops because 1) you can't download gametypes and maps via Bungie.net anymore and 2) the friends list of MLG Gametypes is full making it harder to get to his profile.

FyreWulff

This is what Halo 2 looked like in cutscenes. And on PC. Meaning the best foot is being put forward here:

t0jufsdl.jpg

Considerable gap between 2 and 3.

Imagine Jetpacks on Guardian or Construct.

*shivers*

1. Boot up Halo 3.
3. Go to the profile of MLG Playlist by selecting that friends request. (This should show up at the top of your friends list)
5. Go to the profile of MLG Gametypes and if you're in Halo 3 a 'File Share' option should pop up after a couple of seconds, select it.

You have to jump through some hoops because 1) you can't download gametypes and maps via Bungie.net anymore and 2) the friends list of MLG Gametypes is full making it harder to get to his profile.

Sending a friend request doesn't work anymore, it give you an error, send him a chat (not party) invite instead. You can get to his profile a lot easier from there.

FyreWulff

So from what I've seen so far:

Social Slayer has definitely benefitted. Games within seconds (when searching isn't restarting searches)

Rumble Pit is doing pretty well now.

BTB can actually get games now.

Action Sack is still dead.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It's like a meme at this point to say (new_halo) looks like (last_halo).

Apparently Halo 4 looks like Halo CE.

Overdoziz

Banned
So from what I've seen so far:

Social Slayer has definitely benefitted. Games within seconds (when searching isn't restarting searches)

Rumble Pit is doing pretty well now.

BTB can actually get games now.

Action Sack is still dead.
In Team Slayer and MLG it's practically impossible to find a match if you're going in with a group of people because it will search for other groups of people of the same size. That's great for when the playlist had a fairly big population, but it's really killing at the moment.

Just got done playing a few rounds. Honestly it felt a huge step backwards after Halo 4. Where is the sprinting? Where are the jetpacks? Who thought it was a good idea to make B the melee button? and I can't believe how ugly the graphics look now they barely look better than Halo 2.
tumblr_inline_mm6zcoC58R1qz4rgp.gif

You realize this game was released way back in 2007 right ?

tag quote

Computer

I just threw up in my mouth. You need a lesson in Halo my friend.

IHaveIce

Banned
Even though it was my TV messing up my aiming in Halo 3, you guys did get that down perfectly in Halo 4.

Well they just threw a ton of auto aim at every weapon so you couldn't tell.

ALso the post that says Halo 3 feels like a step back from Halo 4 should just be ignored.. or nuked from orbit.

We played as a little group today, was amazing. I just love this game besides Equipment, the small FOV and the BR spread

Goku

Banned
Halo 3's lighting is the reason it ran in 640p. But I absolutely love how it looked, the HDR is phenomenal. That's why I don't like how Halo 4 looks: muddy. The dofference between Halo 3 and 4 in terms of lighting is like the difference between PGR4 and GRID/DiRT.

1. Boot up Halo 3.

It's way faster to send MLG gametypes a private chat invite and go from there. Idk why you'd put yourself through all that.

Sprinting ruins maps because now the maps are created with sprinting in mind, it also kinda ruins encounters between players.

Jetpack completely destroys the flow of every single map there is and will ever be, good or bad.

And no HaloGAF, Recon is for wusses. Though it would be nice to customize your controls.

Halo 3 looks great btw.

E: What saddens me the most is that tons of people think the same way and those are the people 343 has been trying to please and will continue to try to please.

HYPERBOLEALO

I keep reading this but if that's the case don't Banshees ruin the map flow as well? And those were present in Halo 1-3 multiplayer

Halo 3 looks great btw.

HYPERBOLEALO

This is exactly why playlists should support a variety of play methods, classic, AGL, Flood, Ricochet, CTF etc. Nice to know HaloGAF is so tolerant and there is plenty of room for say 20-40% with AA's or Infinity style.

Forget a blanket 100% return to classic Halo, never going to happen, I too want a return to 60-80% classic play though.

I am SO BAD. I used to have my sensitivity at 5 or 6 and I had to start at 2.

I play 2 sensitivity all the time in all Halo games, love it.
Frankie indirectly called me bad, my Halo lifez is overzz

IHaveIce

Banned
I keep reading this but if that's the case don't Banshees ruin the map flow as well? And those were present in Halo 1-3 multiplayer

Are you just trolling? You don't spawn as a banshee nor is the .... you know what why do I even try to discuss this. This is blatantly stupid

And no Ozzy, Flood, Riccochet and Griffball fringe gametypes belong in Action Sack or D.EXP weekends.

And then you try to keep the base gameplay across lists as much as same as possible.

Reach was madness how many different kind of Halos it had and all felt bad except MLG.

There should be one kind of balanced base gameplay, a even more stripped down version for competive play and random junk like action sack and more

Where is Conor, we need him to tell 343 we need a serverbrowser

I keep reading this but if that's the case don't Rocket Launchers ruin the gunplay as well? And those were present in Halo 1-3 multiplayer

Stop trolling Duncan.

Are you just trolling? You don't spawn as a banshee nor is the .... you know what why do I even try to discuss this. This is blatantly stupid

And no Ozzy, Flood, Riccochet and Griffball fringe gametypes belong in Action Sack or D.EXP weekends.

And then you try to keep the base gameplay across lists as much as same as possible.

Reach was madness how many different kind of Halos it had and all felt bad except MLG.

There should be one kind of balanced base gameplay, a even more stripped down version for competive play and random junk like action sack and more

Halo 5 has dedicated servers. Doesn't that automatically mean there is a list? I would hope so.

Defect

Halo 5 has dedicated servers. Doesn't that automatically mean there is a list? I would hope so.
Gears 3 had dedicated servers but no server browser.

Server browsers are only good for custom games, not actual matches. You should always join a match before it starts.

They are fringe gametypes in your mind but even Grifball, for example, has steadily had more population than Throwdown (4) or MLG (Reach), even in the end of life Halo 3 the same was true again.

By your fringe game logic MLG/AGL would not have a playlist of its own :)

Again the community needs to learn tolerance and allow the game to have some diversity. Not Halo 4 levels of Infinity, that's not what I'm saying either. Again 20/80 or 60/40 with weighting to the more competitive side. I completely agree Reach was a clusterfuck, at least 343i tried to unify the base gameplay with Halo 4 at launch but they just didn't hit the mark with the base settings across the board. Halo 3 did really nail that base gameplay across the board though. Halo 4 is doing far better these days after turbo and all the tweaks though, a better base gameplay has arisen than launch. Now bring back the Halo 3 ranked vs social too.

I disagree all felt bad in Reach, I really enjoyed TU default, invasion later on and anniversary playlist settings too. Another Halo title I purposefully steered clear of MLG, not my cup of tea and not everyone enjoys MLG/AGL settings mate, I don't enjoy playing those playlists without a full regular team.

Gears 3 had dedicated servers but no server browser.

Server browsers are only good for custom games, not actual matches. You should always join a match before it starts.

Yea customs is pretty important. Also you can choose what exact map and mode you want instead of being limited like matchmaking.

It's funny but I actually want Gold again after maybe 3 years without

Not because I want Halo 3 (I already own it) but because this will cause a resurgence in the MP which was so good

Dug

Banned
B is for Beatdown! (At least that is what I think.)

It's funny but I actually want Gold again after maybe 3 years without

Not because I want Halo 3 (I already own it) but because this will cause a resurgence in the MP which was so good

I bought 1 month just to get back into it and now i think i'm going to spend the rest of the month on my 360 with some games i ever really finished or touched.

Top Bottom