• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Blue Team B-Roll

E92 M3

That environment looks really boring and reminds me of Halo 4 forerunner structures. They should have showed a beautiful open environment (what I relate to Halo).

Yeah Stabilizer/Hover whatever. :D

I didn't get the chance to use it as much in the Beta. Didn't see it as a very useful feature in the Beta, but that will probably change once you are deep into Halo 5 controls and people share clips/tricks.

I turned it off immediately in the Beta before I played my first match. I don't want to be hovering in the air whenever I aim while jumping.

Akai__

I turned it off immediately in the Beta before I played my first match. I don't want to be hovering in the air whenever I aim while jumping.

Has it's downsides, too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1089984&highlight=pink+mist

So glad they made Grunts speak English again! Fuck Halo 4.

The reasoning behind this was they are a fanatic group and didn't want to speak the language of their enemies. lol :D

Glass

Wonder if we'll be seeing the faces of Blue Team or if they're going to represent the Spartans which are a bit more old school, more helmets then faces (which is far more badass).
Looking like as an early level (2nd I think) it's going to start small with multiple paths before opening up nice and big.

ODDI

I swear it's like these guys can't make up minds on having the covenant speak English or there native tongue.

Keep it English pls with some wort wort wort.

Am I the only who think the environments all look kind of...samey?

Well, Jumper agrees with you, which is a pretty good sign that you're wrong, but just in case you need more, we've gotten this:

Halo-5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Campaign-9.png

and this

and this

And I doubt that's all we're getting.

So nah.

It is a less than 2 minutes sample within one same mission, of course environments will looks samey.

I mean everything we've seen so far. Sanghelios' architecture looks less Covenant than it should, and more UNSC than it should. Also every human place we've seen looks to me to be made with the same few assets. I also think it looks like the Prometheans, UNSC and Covenant stuff are all made out of the same materials.

Not saying the game looks bad, and it's ok to disagree with me, but I feel this Halo looks less organic in it's art-style. Like everything kind of got fused together at the concept stage.

I mean everything we've seen so far. Sanghelios' architecture looks less Covenant than it should, and more UNSC than it should. Also every human place we've seen looks to me to be made with the same few assets. I also think it looks like the Prometheans, UNSC and Covenant stuff are all made out of the same materials.

Not saying the game looks bad, and it's ok to disagree with me, but I feel this Halo looks less organic in it's art-style. Like everything kind of got fused together at the concept stage.

Sanghelios structures are, well Sangheili, that is not equal to the Convenant culture and design you see from previous games. And we only saw a tiny bit of the campaign let alone the whole game, it is simply too early to call that.

krang

I swear it's like these guys can't make up minds on having the covenant speak English or there native tongue.

Keep it English pls with some wort wort wort.

Bungie started that in Reach to make the invading force sound alien.

Pop

In general it looks really good and especially smooth. The only thing (graphically wise) that still bothers me slightly, has to do with the explosions. The particles seem pretty low quality, while this is something that Halo generally excels at.

Yup. They're terrible actually.

But anything for 60fps apparently

jem0208

Really? I agree that the UNSC seems to have a fairly consistent theme with the soft white style, however they've made each level/map look fairly different even with the same theme. It looks completely different to the Forerunner and Sanghelli stuff as well...

FordGTGuy

Banned

Sanhelios isn't a Covenant world, it's a Elite world and it's not surprising that their culture would allow for more unique architecture.

The people complaining about the way space stations and ships look internally.

Guess what?

That's normal, military builds for function and cost-saving; style is bound by that.

These are interiors from different classes of US military ships:

7EYiRYL.jpg

AztiNvW.jpg

yNLRcAq.jpg

9fI8nXD.jpg

Tanks:
0vWX9Ll.jpg

Vw29PxM.jpg

Sanghelios structures are, well Sangheili, that is not equal to the Convenant culture and design you see from previous games. And we only saw a tiny bit of the campaign let alone the whole game, it is simply too early to call that.

I'm sure there's a lot we haven't seen from the game yet, and I am excited to see what role the Guardians play, but everything I have seen so far shows that they have blended the art styles together. Everything is more bulky, powerful-looking with a few sleek lines here and there. It goes for all the enemy factions I've seen so far. The geometry is very much the same for me. The weirdest thing is that everything seems to be made out of the same material to me, more or less.

Just a little observation. I know we will visit different type of areas, they're just not all that unique, those I've seen so far. I don't think I'll get that sense of discovery that I have at some points during previous Halos. Will have to wait and see, though.

Yup. They're terrible actually.

But anything for 60fps apparently

It has nothing to do with framerate. The explosions in Halo 3 had more impact than they do in this game. I thought they had improved them but upon further inspection they're definitely not great. The particles that fly out of the explosions look terrible; 343 needs a lesson in explosion physics or something. Make a shockwave instead of light particles that slowly spew out like a fountain if you want to make the explosion actually look like an explosion. Explosion.

Example of Halo 3's superior frag grenade explosions Shitty video but it gets the point across.

compare that with this

Of course it's a nitpick, but it was the same problem in Halo 4. Why add graphics to something that already worked really well if it just makes it look worse?

Sanhelios isn't a Covenant world, it's a Elite world and it's not surprising that their culture would allow for more unique architecture.

The people complaining about the way space stations and ships look internally.

Guess what?

That's normal, military builds for function and cost-saving; style is bound by that.

These are interiors from different classes of US military ships:

True, that does make sense for human military structures and weapons. And it is good that the have a uniform design, of course. I just see that it bleeds into everything else as well. Are we never in non-UNSC human levels? I mean they have the chance to make as many unique areas as their creativity enables them to, yet they all have a bit too similar vibe to me, than what is necessary. Perhaps I won't mind when the time comes, or perhaps they're hiding a lot. Either way, thus far it seems as though they try to re-use assets. I would just like to see something that surprises me design-wise. Not so much blocks with rounded edges everywhere :p
This was a problem for me in Halo 4, as well.

At least Fathom and the "Moses' space station" Warzone map are adding some cool twists to map concepts. Perhaps we'll see a lot more.

EDIT: Here's a thread eplaining my toughts better https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ar/172b726f-4b07-457c-8a60-c0fdb47e5e78/posts

Side note: Sanghelios reminds me a lot of this!
702513.jpg

ShutterMunster

My god that Arena B-Roll footage is on point! The enhanced speed and mobility functionality manages to feel fresh without altering the identity of Halo, a balance Halo 4 didn't strike as well to me. I'm super excited to dive into this. Looks good enough to me, especially considering it's 60FPS.

Interesting that you get an overshield after reviving teammates.Game is looking awesome, in the Game Informer article they said this was the most linear level in the game, still it had some open environments at the end.

Omni

Looks great. As for visuals... I think a more apt comparison would be with Halo 2 Anniversary - which to me, looks a fair bit better overall. Suppose we'll see at release.

Still concerned about the resolution though. I wish 343i would say something.

Does Fred really need to explain how to kill hunters? They've been fighting the Covenant for decades, lol.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's obviously for new players, this is the second mission of the game and probably the first encounter with hunters.

AlStrong

Does Fred really need to explain how to kill hunters? They've been fighting the Covenant for decades, lol.

lol That stuck out to me. Wonder if they can turn off some of that tutorial speech with different difficulty settings. It's a triggered piece of dialogue too, so maybe they could do it like past games (ala Johnson's different speeches etc).

Sai

I hope we get to see what the rest of Blue team looks like without their helmets. It'd be a neat if they based their models off some of the actors they used in Forward Unto Dawn.

shoreu

Especially with this claim we should wait.

And in my opinion the lighting doesnt look that much better. Yes its improved but not in a big way.
Shadows looked the same to me? The typical halo prebaked shadows and dynamic shadows for the characters. And the materials sometimes look a bit off.

Are you calling 343 liars?

I never understood this logic, if a developer has confirmed that it's larger scale... well it is.

At He's a cynic on a lot of issues which isn't a bad thing he's probably never disappointed and often joyfully surprised when things end up better. No point in argueing about it as he won't change his mind until he gets proof which is also fine.

I do agree with you @FordGTGuy though, Frankie wouldn't come on here and flat out lie like that. That would be crazy as fuck for him to do something like that and I don't see him as that kind of person.

TL;DR No point in arguing over this because he most likely will only change his opinion with proof.

What, based on what we've seen and been told, is giving you that feeling?

I've always played Halo campaign in co-op split screen, however thats gone can't change that.

Then my other gripe is, the team chatter. It was already bad enough (In my opinion, based on what I like) that they had to include such a large ensemble of Spartans.

Finally the hand holding, please. People have played these Halo games to death for years now, hunters are (I think) present in every Halo game. In this case it was Fred giving tips on how to kill a hunter, but It gives me the feeling that there will be a lot more of that in the game.

Is Fred really explaining that to the chief or to a new player?

It would be great if when a player decides to start on heroic/legendary the game should presume the player is not "new". I understand you have to include this for any newcomer to the series. But to me it just feels out of place as some one who has been playing Halo since CE.

szaromir

Banned
Is Fred really explaining that to the chief or to a new player?

Does everything need to be told explicitly? I remember playing Halo 1 for the first time I did not know I could kill Hunters with just one pistol shot into the orange spots, so I lost a ton of AR ammo in the first encounters against them in the T'nR and SC levels (I accidentally discovered it later on).

Vinc

I actually like that footage a lot. I'd love to see gameplay in a big open environment, like their modern take on real classic "sandbox" Halo gameplay with vehicles and everything. That's what I've been waiting to see! Basically what they're doing with Warzone, but in the campaign :)

Does everything need to be told explicitly? I remember playing Halo 1 for the first time I did not know I could kill Hunters with just one pistol shot into the orange spots, so I lost a ton of AR ammo in the first encounters against them in the T'nR and SC levels (I accidentally discovered it later on).

I played the Halo series for the first time with MCC, and...WHAT THE HELL!?

Goddammit so much wasted ammo

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sp b-roll of blue team! yeah!!

joe staten grunt dialogue :)

hunters forming in gameplay (not just a cut scene thing)! :)

this looks so much easier to read, is less visually cluttered and alien, than the e3 demo - i think this demos better. wish we saw this instead. immediately halo :)

visuals look great. good scale and verticality. i loved watching that player play around on foot then realizing his teammates were engaged in a aerial dog fight around him at the end :)

love the new abilities and how they tie into gameplay. cant wait to ground pound into the middle of a firefight :)

that sword elite ai :(

krang

sp b-roll of blue team! yeah!!

joe staten grunt dialogue :)

hunters forming in gameplay (not just a cut scene thing)! :)

this looks so much easier to read, is less visually cluttered and alien, than the e3 demo - i think this demos better. wish we saw this instead. immediately halo :)

visuals look great. good scale and verticality. i loved watching that player play around on foot then realizing his teammates were engaged in a aerial dog fight around him at the end :)

love the new abilities and how they tie into gameplay. cant wait to ground pound into the middle of a firefight :)

that sword elite ai :(

Is that actually Joe?

szaromir

Banned
I played the Halo series for the first time with MCC, and...WHAT THE HELL!?

Goddammit so much wasted ammo

It only worked in CE, they changed it in later games and Hunters were just bullet sponges. Very boring in Halo 2 and much trickier in 3 as they were covering those weak spots much better.

Top Bottom