• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

So...wait what's not concidered canon?

Nothing that I can think of other than the Legends parody.

They just consolidated everything Halo under 343i so theoretically all the toys, comics, books, etc are crafted and planned with the canon lore in mind. Hopefully avoiding a Reach situation again I guess..

Nothing that I can think of other than the Legends parody.

They just consolidated everything Halo under 343i so theoretically all the toys, comics, books, etc are crafted and planned with the canon lore in mind. Hopefully avoiding a Reach situation again I guess..

Well... not all the toys.

$_35.JPG

Hopefully.

The official stance on REAP-X toys is they exist in canon, but look very much different. The VTOL toy was officially seen in Spartan Strike (forgot the name) and they look a fair bit different.

I think the Kestrel looks pretty close to the toy.

UNSC-Light-VTOL-BOX-front.jpg

Best picture I could find of the in-game version.

Spartan-Strike-D-3-Gameplay-2-Kestral-VTOL.png

At least close enough for MEGA blocks interpretation at least.

Huh.. "Reverse Engineering and Prototyping–Xenotechnology" aka REAP-X? I guess it makes sense, just isn't very.. appealing.

Interesting they just called it a "UNSC Light Assault VTOL" on the toy, maybe they hadn't given it a name yet?

I still fail to see how the Kestrel or "Siege Bike" incorporate alien tech though.

hwalker84

343 needs to put a prologue at the beggining of the game to explain what the fuck is going on outside of the games to people who don't follow all these things. A big 30 minutes of exposition explaining the lore would be welcome. Or just not reference any of it during the game or else it will turn out like Halo 4 story, a big mess.

Completely agree!!

Outrun

It might sound lame, but I really look forward to Sunday night (EST) so I can hear this hapless reporter go further down the rabbit hole.

Good stuff 343i...

Good stuff.

That's a nice cover. I don't remember much of Onyx, and haven't read anything after it (lore-wise) so I'm wondering if that's really SPI Armor or if it's just a new MJOLNIR-type that I'm not familiar with.

Edit: so you guys really think there's a chance we'll get Blue Team *in game* this time? That'd be a first, no? I'd love it.
If we dont see them in Halo 5, we probably wont ever see them in a game... because as things stand right now everything has perfectly aligned to allow them in the game, and if they can't get in under this situation, 343i wont ever put them in

Look out for what you say, they are listening.

All public conversations and actions are subject to vigilance and recording. Any recording can be used as evidence in a criminal investigation as per UEG *numbers.

Look out for what you say, they are listening.

All public conversations and actions are subject to vigilance and recording. Any recording can be used as evidence in a criminal investigation as per UEG *numbers.

I'm a bit confused, because if these pictures are suppose to go with the episodes, why is a sign in Boston written in Spanish? Or am I over thinking it?

I'm a bit confused, because if these pictures are suppose to go with the episodes, why is a sign in Boston written in Spanish? Or am I over thinking it?

2552-era Humanity in the Halo universe is effectively post-racial / post-national (not counting actual alien races). Probably just lends itself to the demographics in a particular district.

? No? Just Odd One Out...

The Duel (Arbiter story) was similarly un-canonized due to a number of inconsistencies including Covenant timeline hiccups (Grunts showing up hundreds of years before they actually joined), Sangheili culture, female Elites looking like Antz rejects, etc.

Unless I'm forgetting specific details from that short story, I was under the impression that the Flood/Gravemind were connected to something similar to the Domain, but not literally the Domain itself. Similarly the Path Kethona Forerunner had a biological analog to the Domain, rather than a novel way of accessing the primary Domain.

I know I'm really late on this, but I just realized: Path Kethona used those weird "memory spore" things, and the most common method of Flood distribution / "terraforming" is clouding the air with spores. Maybe Gravemind's "telepathy" across the compound intelligence is done (at least corporeally) via the spores infected biomass constantly gives off. This could also possibly explain how the memories of the original Gravemind managed to stay connected to the Halo 2-era one. Granted, that doesn't really explain how it would work in a vacuum such as during space combat, but at least in a terrestrial environment we know how it's possible for Graveminds to assimilate so much so quickly.

The Duel (Arbiter story) was similarly un-canonized due to a number of inconsistencies including Covenant timeline hiccups (Grunts showing up hundreds of years before they actually joined), Sangheili culture, female Elites looking like Antz rejects, etc.

Since when was it "un-canonized"? While it was originally stated to take place much earlier, shortly after the Covenant formed, this was never actually stated in the short, and it now officially takes place around 400 years before Halo CE. In fact, the H2A terminals even reconfirmed its status as canon.

LordOfChaos

Kev Kev

Ok, I know this is a huge stretch, and I'm probably only seeing it because I want to see it, but I just turned my tablet upside down and I can see a very, very faint silhouette of Chief. It'd be really useless so I know it's not actually there, but I can't unsee it now.

Kev Kev

Benjamin, hunt the truth.

It's not Benjamin #HUNTtheTRUTH... It's more like it's worded as a sentence, like something out there is telling him to hunt the truth.Yeah, now I'm just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks :)

Gestault

Benjamin, hunt the truth.

It's not Benjamin #HUNTtheTRUTH... It's more like it's worded as a sentence, like something out there is telling him to hunt the truth.Yeah, now I'm just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks :)

[Affixes tinfoil hat]

If this is supposed to be part of an "official" message, I wonder if it could suggest that ONI does want Ben to find out what really happened. Whether that's to simplify their information control efforts, or to politically undermine a part of the leadership.

[Removes hat, crumpling it in the effort]

Bsigg12

Is there anything going on in primetime tonight? NBA and NHL playoffs are the only things I can think of for large things in the US

The two best theories I have read about recently are that the email picture is Cortana's AI trying to put Benjamin on a certain course.

The other is that Oni have set up the false trail to send Benjamin down it and ruin the Chief by reporting "the truth" that is behind the story.

Top Bottom