• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

So after it was revealed that the bulk of maps released for Halo 5 would be remixes, I argued that we'd still be alright with all the awesome creations people make in forge. Not counting BTB, why hasn't 343 implemented any more maps into the arena playlists outside of Breakout? I think all we've seen is Pegasus unless I'm forgetting others. 1 forge map in 6-7 months seems really low.

I already miss Super Fiesta. Before I was playing SF with some Slayer games in-between and it was a pretty nice balance between fun and competitive. Today was the first day I was just like meh, I don’t want to play this game. I played FFA SWAT just because I should try it before judging it; it wasn’t very exciting I went 49 and 20 something. After that I played a Slayer match then I just turned off my XBO. I don’t play WZ because I don’t like soloing against farming parties. I’d love to play some BTB but,
you guys already know what I’m going to say!
Maybe I've been lucky, but the number of times I get put against full teams in warzone is really low. Would you love to play BTB
if it had pistol starts?

Strider

hehe just messing with you though. nothing serious at all really.

I know dude
goodjob.gif
All in good fun.

I'm hoping the text is just there to alleviate the concerns people may have already that the skill based MM doesn't really work well (although IMO for the most part it does)... Who knows.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'm still going to instantly turn MM to focused. I'm ok with being donged on buyt I don't want to get donged on and it be laggy because it's EU folks lol

I know dude
goodjob.gif
All in good fun.

I'm hoping the text is just there to alleviate the concerns people may have already that the skill based MM doesn't really work well (although IMO for the most part it does)... Who knows.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'm still going to instantly turn MM to focused. I'm ok with being donged on buyt I don't want to get donged on and it be laggy because it's EU folks lol
Yeah, I'm going to set it to Focused too. #NoMoreRubberBands

You're all talking as if these matchmaking options will be anything more than placebo. Come on now, this is Halo. These things don't work as described.

And lol, so many amazing community creations but no playlist for any of it. Forerunner sums up how I'm feeling:
I already miss Super Fiesta. Before I was playing SF with some Slayer games in-between and it was a pretty nice balance between fun and competitive. Today was the first day I was just like meh, I don’t want to play this game. I played FFA SWAT just because I should try it before judging it; it wasn’t very exciting I went 49 and 20 something. After that I played a Slayer match then I just turned off my XBO. I don’t play WZ because I don’t like soloing against farming parties. I’d love to play some BTB but,
you guys already know what I’m going to say!
I personally don't play much regular Warzone because the matches are too long. I haven't even played on the new map yet despite playing several games since it released. I feel like some form of voting needs to return.

link1201

I am really excited to see how well the new parameters work. My hope is to face more people in WZ who are 50% wins like me. I hate how two or three people are so good they change the outcome or when a whole team has a 80% plus win record because they always play together.

Edit:
You're all talking as if these matchmaking options will be anything more than placebo. Come on now, this is Halo. These things don't work as described...

:'(

Strider

I am really excited to see how well the new parameters work. My hope is to face more people in WZ who are 50% wins like me. I hate how two or three people are so good they change the outcome or when a whole team has a 80% plus win record because they always play together.

I just assumed the MM parameters were for arena only...

link1201

I just assumed the MM parameters were for arena only...

"options will be present on the Arena and Warzone playlist selection screens "

I really it hope it works. I would love ranked WZ but if this works as intended I'd be fine with that too. I just want to have fairer games in WZ more consistently. I'd wait quite a while searching if I get that.

Strider

"options will be present on the Arena and Warzone playlist selection screens "

I really it hope it works. I would love ranked WZ but if this works as intended I'd be fine with that too. I just want to have fairer games in WZ more consistently.

oh ok. cool cool

I personally don't play much regular Warzone because the matches are too long. I haven't even played on the new map yet despite playing several games since it released. I feel like some form of voting needs to return.
I'd be okay with voting options if there were more than 4-5 maps in any playlist. If voting returned, games would all be played on only a couple maps and I think they'd get stale real fast. And I don't think we're ever getting any more homegrown maps from 343. You can charge 10 to 20 dollars for a map pack or you can make more money by selling req bundles for already released content. Why waste the time? Which is fine, if 343 would simply start pushing new forge maps into the playlist like crazy. I want a flood dangit.

Karl2177

Because it actually is. Prior to the Torque reveal, they said only concept art existed for the map, because they had to cut it. It's really not a secret that devs have to cut stuff and pretty normal, but 343i seems like the slowest developer ever + their communication is also Bronze Tier.

They could have easily avoided that, if they actually used common sense by not releasing Breakout at launch
(Just lol at the wasted ressources for The Sprint epsidoes that featured Breakout in retroperspective)
for example and using those ressources to do something with the 15 years Halo legacy they have access to, which would mean more gametypes and overall more variety. There are just so many things that are still missing in this game, which is really sad, because H5 is actually a fantastic Halo game.

It's entertaining to read the Twitter responses or the actual thread for the CU info. You can count the people who are excited for Jorge's Chaingun on one hand and the others are all pretty much disappointed, angry, etc. 343i is just seems so out of touch with the community. I hope 343i realizes that people are not mad because reasons, but mad because they are passionate fans, who feel disappointed.

Bronze tier? 343i communication ain't even close to the podium. 343i communication is the guy that talks shit before the race and then finishes dead last. A lot of words that really mean nothing.

I couldn't be less excited for this update as it stands. Just some really questionable moves.
-Making crouch more effective. Who asked for this?
-Spending their time modeling a chaingun instead of something people would actually use (Pro pipe, falcon)
-Let's block out a Phaeton REQ as if it's something unique. Only to leave people disappointed.
-Torque remix is rather underwhelming, I don't even dislike Torque.
-Infection another gimmick game type. KoTH or Assymeteic stuff would be nice, something that works across multiple playlists.

-Armor is cool though.

Asymmetric gametypes aren't coming unless they make huge changes to the tag system. CTF has the flag stand and capture point as the same object. Currently there's no way to make it so that the enemy can't pick up your flag AND have a capture point for your team. Additionally you can't set it up so the enemy can't pick up the bomb. Maybe Halo 6... but I doubt it.

If you looked at the previous updates and expected Reach map remakes, Reach vehicles or Reach weapons then I don't know what to tell you. They've added only a couple of maps that weren't remixes, they've added no new vehicles aside from variants and the only new weapon they've introduced was teased even before launch. Honestly, I'm surprised they're adding basically the entirety or Noble Team's armor. I expected maybe a couple of armor sets and some Reach skins and emblems.

Keep those expectation in check yo.

Eh, in Cartographer's Gift we got Forge. In Hammer Storm we got the Hammer. In Memories of Reach, I'd expect at least 1 gameplay item or gamemode that was Reach focused.

Madness

cfjorgechaingun-eeb3aab3611442a88c02b33a8cb59d72.png

Modeled after “Etilka” – Jorge’s modified personal M247H Heavy Machine Gun, this Mythic Chaingun is equipped with a high-capacity magazine loaded with high-explosive ammunition. Spartans wielding this incredible powerhouse within the War Games simulations also gain boosts to movement speed and damage resistance.

Even with these boosts, I don't think anyone would use a MYTHIC heavy chaingun over just The Answer.

Can't believe Emile's shotgun and Jun's sniper are not added. Simple skins (that you seemingly already have completed) + various speed/damage boosts.

Because they would be far more redundant than a new Mythic chaingun. We already have shotgun, lawgiver, blaze of glory and oathsworn on the shotgun side. We have sniper, end of line, arrow of time and Nornfang on the sniper side. What could they add that would make people want to use it over the others?

Eh, in Cartographer's Gift we got Forge. In Hammer Storm we got the Hammer. In Memories of Reach, I'd expect at least 1 gameplay item or gamemode that was Reach focused.
I'm trying to recall the different things added or introduced in Reach, excluding the armor abilities. Game types included Headhunter and Invasion. The Falcon and Revenant were the main vehicles added if you discount the campaign level where you fly around in a starship lol. And then you have the pro-pipe as a new weapon.

Definitely think 343 could have brought the fan hype to a fever pitch if they had simply added the pro-pipe and falcon for Memories of reach. Of course it was probably a lot easier to simply do some armor designs for the req system instead. But then why add the brute plasma rifle when you could do the pro-pipe? I'm guessing the plasma rifle is just a re-skinned storm rifle with a variation in power and overheating properties.

I'm trying to recall the different things added or introduced in Reach, excluding the armor abilities. Game types included Headhunter and Invasion. The Falcon and Revenant were the main vehicles added if you discount the campaign level where you fly around in a starship lol. And then you have the pro-pipe as a new weapon.

Definitely think 343 could have brought the fan hype to a fever pitch if they had simply added the pro-pipe and falcon for Memories of reach. Of course it was probably a lot easier to simply do some armor designs for the req system instead. But then why add the brute plasma rifle when you could do the pro-pipe? I'm guessing the plasma rifle is just a re-skinned storm rifle with a variation in power and overheating properties.

The Brute plasma rifle definitely is strange. I'd rather have seen the plasma repeater from Reach. I mean there aren't even any Brutes in Halo 5. Also as Ninja mentioned it wasn't in Reach either.

Ramirez

The Brute plasma rifle definitely is strange. I'd rather have seen the plasma repeater from Reach. I mean there's not even any Brutes in Halo 5. Also as Ninja mentioned it wasn't in Reach either.

The Storm Rifle is basically the Repeater refined though.

singhr1

Because they would be far more redundant than a new Mythic chaingun. We already have shotgun, lawgiver, blaze of glory and oathsworn on the shotgun side. We have sniper, end of line, arrow of time and Nornfang on the sniper side. What could they add that would make people want to use it over the others?

True, but they could add simple modifiers to them. Jun's could maybe shoot multiple shots at once (like Krith's Left Hand) or relatively silent + don't show up on motion tracker + no scope glint (maybe even add weak invisibility if its gonna be a mythic).

Emile's could give you a speed boost, stronger/faster melee, maybe an alt fire when scoped in to shoot like a slug or something.

Also, they look fantastic.

Look, maybe Jorge's chaingun is badass when it gets shown off next week. I'm just saying implementing these would make this update feel more substantial.

JaggedSac

Why is it so hard for them to give us control? Honestly, how many game versions do they keep control/choice out of our hands? It's never as good as player choice.

3, Reach, 4, MCC, 5. Just allow us to choose between All (fastest) and a Region/DC list. Boom. Done. Not hard and far less work than the dev hoops they jump through for sustain or game releases.

Thx, my bad.

Edit: the update has nothing on Aus DCs latency being so bad via XBL. Just as I wrote on that thread I made, the parameters aren't going to fix the source issue.

How are you testing latency to the azure server?

Lmao my lowest latency score with all of the closest servers range from 130 - 210

Averaging 170-180ish.....

Sometimes California dips to 80ms....

Is that pretty bad to have every server at 170 ms or higher?

FMl

As long as I connect to the Cali one I'm always under 90, so I'm fine with that. All the other ones I'm 100-180ish.

JaggedSac

That isn't really a "ping". It is how fast it is able to download a javascript file from each of his servers on each region. So there is disk io added. Still a good indication of general latency, but I would imagine your latency to the game servers are a tiny bit faster. Oh, and javascript execution speed is involved since he is doing callbacks and such over a bunch of different ajax calls.

That isn't really a "ping". It is how fast it is able to download a javascript file from each of his servers on each region. So there is disk io added. Still a good indication of general latency, but I would imagine your latency to the game servers are a tiny bit faster. Oh, and javascript execution speed is involved since he is doing callbacks and such over a bunch of different ajax calls.

So with 170-300 I'm OK ?

JaggedSac

So with 170-300 I'm OK ?

Probably not, lol. Although, I played quake on dial up with 300ms pings ok.

If you want to test it without all the other datacenters being tested you can just hit this a bunch of times with the datacenter of your choice. Open up firebug or something to see the response times.

http://azspeastus.blob.core.windows.net/public/callback.js?_=14626434356

http://azsp<region>.blob.core.windows.net/public/callback.js?_=<some random number>

change the number so it doesnt use your cache.

Top Bottom