• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Well, Zoso and I did what we could for the company tonight. Our last game was some kind of unicorn. Defense on Urban and we had some troll dickhead sitting back in the core room from the very start of the game so our whole team just keeps spawning there and we lose. Like, wtf?

Some damn good clips from tonight though:

Getting a stick by launching a plasma nade with another

Assassinations (for the company!) and a sick triple kill

Nice overkill to help clear out fortress

AND FINALLY - *another* killtac made completely of spartan charges!

Let's make crouching more effective

180px-WHY.jpg

Trup1aya

Removing the speed boost spartan charge thing is stupid. Literally the only reason since launch to use them other than stacking them when your fucking around.

Not to mention, this will make it that much harder to finish that commendation so I don't understand why any of you are cheering.

I say this humbly, fearing the wrath of Ram: I want the commendation, but not at the expense of fun. Getting Spartan charged was already annoying as fuck. Giving people the ability to spam it for insta-kills simply increased how annoying it is.

I wish they would schedule their streams for a later time. 3 pm pacific people are working on west coast or barely home from school. Hope they archive stream right away this time.

Oh God no. The west coast already gets preferential treatment went it comes to most live broadcasts. For example, they've got us east coasters staying up between midnight and 2am to watch big NBA/NFL games, despite the east coast being the larger market (and filled generally more awesome people).

So please let us enjoy this small victory. Infact, make it earlier!

Let's make crouching more effective

180px-WHY.jpg
What do you mean? Aren't you a fan of Authentic Halo Gameplay™?

myz5k6H.gif

Look at how fun that must have been. The player just sat there after they shot the Rocket, paying close attention to their motion tracker. The enemy realizes the situation, stops and crouches closer with their Shotgun. Then the rest is magic. Amazing Halo magic. Best around. I love motion tracker.

I say this humbly, fearing the wrath of Ram: I want the commendation, but not at the expense of fun. Getting Spartan charged was already annoying as fuck. Giving people the ability to spam it for insta-kills simply increased how annoying it is.

Have you tried it yourself? It's a REQ like anything else, and it finally had some utility. After this update, it's going back to the land of insta-sell. Doesn't it make sense for someone going faster to do more damage during a sprint-based attack? It's a powerup that finally was worth using. You say it's at the expense of fun. Take it from those of us that have given it a shot: it's one of the funnest things to happen to warzone since launch!

I'll never understand the complaining about spartan charge being "annoying". It's riskier than a regular melee, because if you miss, you're fucked. It does the same damage as a melee, so it's actually safer for you to just thrust->melee since you'll then immediately have control of your spartan after. It's easy to dodge if you see them coming, and if you don't, then how is the outcome any different than the thrust-melee situation? It's an insta-kill from behind. So is melee, so no advantage there. If you miss, you temporarily lose control of your spartan, so no advantage there. It's easier to catch people off guard who aren't paying attention - literally its only tactical advantage. Otherwise it isn't worth doing and is often easily countered.

No offense to you or anyone else, but this change is only because of whiners who couldn't adjust to the new meta, or just have some ridiculous spartan charge aversion to begin with. And now those of us who actually found some new thing to enjoy in warzone are punished.

Trup1aya

Have you tried it yourself? It's a REQ like anything else, and it finally had some utility. After this update, it's going back to the land of insta-sell. Doesn't it make sense for someone going faster to do more damage during a sprint-based attack? It's a powerup that finally was worth using. You say it's at the expense of fun. Take it from those of us that have given it a shot: it's one of the funnest things to happen to warzone since launch!

I'll never understand the complaining about spartan charge being "annoying". It's riskier than a regular melee, because if you miss, you're fucked. It does the same damage as a melee, so it's actually safer for you to just thrust->melee since you'll then immediately have control of your spartan after. It's easy to dodge if you see them coming, and if you don't, then how is the outcome any different than the thrust-melee situation? It's an insta-kill from behind. So is melee, so no advantage there. If you miss, you temporarily lose control of your spartan, so no advantage there. It's easier to catch people off guard who aren't paying attention - literally its only tactical advantage. Otherwise it isn't worth doing and is often easily countered.

No offense to you or anyone else, but this change is only because of whiners who couldn't adjust to the new meta, or just have some ridiculous spartan charge aversion to begin with. And now those of us who actually found some new thing to enjoy in warzone are punished.

By that logic, aren't you just whining about the old meta returning?

Speedboost already has its benefits. Just because you choose to sell it, doesn't mean people didn't have fun using it. They'd essentially turned speedboosts into energy swords that don't take up a weapons slot. It was extremely OP and simply encouraged more sprinting in the middle of battle, when folks should be shooting.

If they wanted to have a decent meta around Spartan Charge, then they'd let players counter it with a well timed melee, rather than having to waste their thruster use.

Leyasu

Banned
Yea the weird thing about the MM preferences to me are that it seems... backwards. Wouldn't it need to expand the skill parameters in order to put more of a focus on connection? Wouldn't a tight focus on skill parameters hurt connection since it needs to search over a larger geographical area to find people at my skill level?

Idk I'm very skeptical of the options they are giving us.

Correct. For a srict skill matchmaking to work, the net needs to be cast as wide as possible. There's no need for skepticism, 343 prove yet again that do they not give a fuck about quality. Every parameter is skill focused. Why not let us choose the region and suffer the wait??? If they had let us do that from the beginning, they might have kept a bigger player base.

Skill and speed are their priorities. Looks like I'll be getting a three month sub on DC universe. These clowns are clueless.

End rant

Trup1aya

Correct. For a srict skill matchmaking to work, the net needs to be cast as wide as possible. There's no need for skepticism, 343 prove yet again that do they not give a fuck about quality. Every parameter is skill focused. Why not let us choose the region and suffer the wait??? If they had let us do that from the beginning, they might have kept a bigger player base.

Skill and speed are their priorities. Looks like I'll be getting a three month sub on DC universe. These clowns are clueless.

End rant

It sounds like focused is the option for people who want to stay in region, but they aren't willing to sacrifice skilled-based MM to keep you in region.

I think we should wait and see how it plays out... But I feel like this approach would have been a bit more feasible 6 months ago.

I really don't understand their aversion to simply letting people region lock themselves.

singhr1

cfjorgechaingun-eeb3aab3611442a88c02b33a8cb59d72.png

Modeled after “Etilka” – Jorge’s modified personal M247H Heavy Machine Gun, this Mythic Chaingun is equipped with a high-capacity magazine loaded with high-explosive ammunition. Spartans wielding this incredible powerhouse within the War Games simulations also gain boosts to movement speed and damage resistance.

Even with these boosts, I don't think anyone would use a MYTHIC heavy chaingun over just The Answer.

Can't believe Emile's shotgun and Jun's sniper are not added. Simple skins (that you seemingly already have completed) + various speed/damage boosts.

Glass

cfjorgechaingun-eeb3aab3611442a88c02b33a8cb59d72.png

Modeled after “Etilka” – Jorge’s modified personal M247H Heavy Machine Gun, this Mythic Chaingun is equipped with a high-capacity magazine loaded with high-explosive ammunition. Spartans wielding this incredible powerhouse within the War Games simulations also gain boosts to movement speed and damage resistance.

Even with these boosts, I don't think anyone would use a MYTHIC heavy chaingun over just The Answer.

Can't believe Emile's shotgun and Jun's sniper are not added. Simple skins (that you seemingly already have completed) + various speed/damage boosts.

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to equip his armour and use that thing, hopefully get some awesome pictures from it. I wonder if the walking animation will be changed, I love how big and plodding Jorge looks taking it through that door in the 2nd level cutscene going after the elites.

singhr1

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to equip his armour and use that thing, hopefully get some awesome pictures from it. I wonder if the walking animation will be changed, I love how big and plodding Jorge looks taking it through that door in the 2nd level cutscene going after the elites.

Sure, it LOOKS fantastic. Like this looks legit as fuck:

cfh5jorge-ff0478898b72497f8c5ea7771b4d66d0.jpg

But I would just use it in Firefight at this point. Except that I'm never gonna get a Mythic so who am I kidding :'(

What is the point of skill matching if the latency of each player varies so wildly outcomes equate to unfair gameplay? Region locks/matching must have priority over skill not the other way around.

Also fairness and experiences matter. The upper limits of skills you can improve upon are far higher than the limitations of latency. I work on my callous, teamwork, aim, decision making...Yada Yada but I can only alter my game so much to accommodate for latency against 4 USA players on their dedis.

Further given the rank resets, unequal teams (4 USA players vs. 3USA +an Aussie) and other disadvantages what does skill matter when it's not a level playing field?

How about player retention? Those who lose to latency bullshit will just leave the game. Those who lose to better plays fairly want to get better. This increase player retention, skill matching first is only for the USA basically.

What do you mean? Aren't you a fan of Authentic Halo Gameplay™?

myz5k6H.gif

Look at how fun that must have been. The player just sat there after they shot the Rocket, paying close attention to their motion tracker. The enemy realizes the situation, stops and crouches closer with their Shotgun. Then the rest is magic. Amazing Halo magic. Best around. I love motion tracker.

That's some high level play right there!

Glass

Sure, it LOOKS fantastic. Like this looks legit as fuck:

cfh5jorge-ff0478898b72497f8c5ea7771b4d66d0.jpg

But I would just use it in Firefight at this point. Except that I'm never gonna get a Mythic so who am I kidding :'(

Yeah for sure, kind of like warthogs, the turrets in this game are pretty bad. The extra shield on this one hopefully makes up for the mobility lost.

jem0208

End rant

If you want good connection choose focused.

Focused: Narrow search to find the best match based on your fireteam's skill and connection

Leyasu

Banned

Dude, they all mention skill and connection. Every single one of them.

What is the point of skill matching if the latency of each player varies so wildly outcomes equate to unfair gameplay? Region locks/matching must have priority over skill not the other way around.

Also fairness and experiences matter. The upper limits of skills you can improve upon are far higher than the limitations of latency. I work on my callous, teamwork, aim, decision making...Yada Yada but I can only alter my game so much to accommodate for latency against 4 USA players on their dedis.

Further given the rank resets, unequal teams (4 USA players vs. 3USA +an Aussie) and other disadvantages what does skill matter when it's not a level playing field?

How about player retention? Those who lose to latency bullshit will just leave the game. Those who lose to better plays fairly want to get better. This increase player retention, skill matching first is only for the USA basically.

There is no possible way to have a level playing field when you are playing out of region. They fucking know this, but don't give a fuck. Casey and his friends need to have their fodder and 343 are focused providing the fodder with lightning fast MM.

It sounds like focused is the option for people who want to stay in region, but they aren't willing to sacrifice skilled-based MM to keep you in region.

I think we should wait and see how it plays out... But I feel like this approach would have been a bit more feasible 6 months ago.

I really don't understand their aversion to simply letting people region lock themselves.

I agree that with you about waiting and seeing, yet this is 343 we are talking about. You just know that this is a continuation of the 343 middle finger to everyone not in north America.

Akai__

Akai is pissed

And I agree with you

Not really pissed, just disappointed. I'm actually pretty happy about the Matchmaking Preferences, provided they work.

I think his point is that all the options come with skill and connection. Just like the one you quoted. There is no "only connection" option.

With these kind of settings, it's a little early to say if they will actually be helpful or not, though. 343i can't know that either, because they haven't tested them yet with a wider audience.

It feels like besides the gametypes they just choose random stuff from a list of cut reqs from the game, and slap a name onto the update.

Because it actually is. Prior to the Torque reveal, they said only concept art existed for the map, because they had to cut it. It's really not a secret that devs have to cut stuff and pretty normal, but 343i seems like the slowest developer ever + their communication is also Bronze Tier.

They could have easily avoided that, if they actually used common sense by not releasing Breakout at launch
(Just lol at the wasted ressources for The Sprint epsidoes that featured Breakout in retroperspective)
for example and using those ressources to do something with the 15 years Halo legacy they have access to, which would mean more gametypes and overall more variety. There are just so many things that are still missing in this game, which is really sad, because H5 is actually a fantastic Halo game.

It's entertaining to read the Twitter responses or the actual thread for the CU info. You can count the people who are excited for Jorge's Chaingun on one hand and the others are all pretty much disappointed, angry, etc. 343i is just seems so out of touch with the community. I hope 343i realizes that people are not mad because reasons, but mad because they are passionate fans, who feel disappointed.

I couldn't be less excited for this update as it stands. Just some really questionable moves.
-Making crouch more effective. Who asked for this?
-Spending their time modeling a chaingun instead of something people would actually use (Pro pipe, falcon)
-Let's block out a Phaeton REQ as if it's something unique. Only to leave people disappointed.
-Torque remix is rather underwhelming, I don't even dislike Torque.
-Infection another gimmick game type. KoTH or Assymeteic stuff would be nice, something that works across multiple playlists.

-Armor is cool though.

-Let's block out a Phaeton REQ as if it's something unique. Only to leave people disappointed.

This really bugged me. Why didn't they just blur it out like the other reqs? They put an ONI symbol which hasn't been used in any other reveal like it was going to be something special.

Strider

Update seems fine to me it's just the biggest error they made was calling it "Memories of Reach." People expecting ya know... Reach stuff lol

disappointment was inevitable if you don't give fans of Reach something from that game if you're gonna say the update is Reach focused.

Maybe they'll surprise us

Update seems fine to me it's just the biggest error they made was calling it "Memories of Reach." People expecting ya know... Reach stuff lol

disappointment was inevitable if you don't give fans of Reach something from that game if you're gonna say the update is Reach focused.

Pretty much. The only thing Reach is the armor and the chain gun (which nobody asked for).

f

Yeah, I'm still hopeful for Forge World, as they said they wanted to do it pe-release, but didn't have time.

Concept art showed Emile's Shotgun and Jun's Sniper as possible / eventual req weapons, but considering we have 4 of each already I can imagine they were probably reworked into one of the existing variants we have now.

JDB

Banned

If you looked at the previous updates and expected Reach map remakes, Reach vehicles or Reach weapons then I don't know what to tell you. They've added only a couple of maps that weren't remixes, they've added no new vehicles aside from variants and the only new weapon they've introduced was teased even before launch. Honestly, I'm surprised they're adding basically the entirety or Noble Team's armor. I expected maybe a couple of armor sets and some Reach skins and emblems.

Keep those expectation in check yo.

mpKZg.png

That being said it's not all doom and gloom. Infection should be fun and the armor is decent for the most part.

Seriously though, WTF is the crouching change. I want to know who wanted this change and why.

Strider

If you looked at the previous updates and expected Reach map remakes, Reach vehicles or Reach weapons then I don't know what to tell you. .

They have never ever named an update after a previous title before.. Looking at previous updates to say "there won't be Reach stuff" isn't really all that relevant. Unless you just mean that you should always expect to be disappointed.... But I don;t really agree with that either.

I don't think this update is bad and this update has about what I expected but I can see why folks would be disappointed. That's all.

They could've avoded a lot of it by just naming it something different

JDB

Banned
They have never ever named an update after a previous title before.. Looking at previous updates to say "there won't be Reach stuff" isn't really all that relevant.

This update has about what I expected but I can see why folks would be disappointed. That's all.

They could've avoded a lot of it by just naming it something different
Not like the names haven't been basically meaningless in the past. I'd say having 10+ items in the DLC be Reach related is pretty solid.

It's so frustrating when you think about how good the game play is in Halo 5 and then look at the number and quality of the maps. I can look at previous halo games and immediately think of favorite maps, but when I think of Halo 5 there just aren't any maps that i really gush over or even care about. I suppose I'd put Plaza and Coliseum at the top, but even those are just so-so.

Seriously though, WTF is the crouching change. I want to know who wanted this change and why.
Same.

Strider

Just matched the Buk's in Team Arena along with Infused Ramirez and interRiotz......

Everything wrong with Team Arena in one game. Going against a 4 stack of EU players lol

Not good for me though, got D/Ced from two extremely unplayable games back to back, not like I want to play in those but that also mean I might end up being a bronze.
I volunteer as tribute. At this point I'd love to start off in bronze. I miss the days of starting off easy and then working your way up to whatever skill level you are. Now it's play a bunch of sweaty qualifying matches, get ranked lower than expectation, and then wonder why you bothered.

One thing I'm pumped about is how much better ill be at CoD4 this fall. H5 is way more CoDified than any other Halo so I think ill be REQing.

Strider needs to eat crow tho - he said skill would never be an option for Matchmaking :p KAPPA!! KAPPA! KAPPA! lololooolollololololol

Hopefully the MM option not only will let me choose to only be on US servers but also gives me the ability to block playing against people in other regions too.

It sucks being put on servers outside your region but it also sucks having people teleporting, lagging out, etc.

Skill as a choice is never gonna happen. The most you'll see here is connection or speed and ultimately that would probably only tell MM to consider servers outside your region or not. More regions considered = faster MM

Ahem... :>

FINDING THAT PERFECT MATCH (Matchmaking Preferences)

Over the past few weeks, we’ve been detailing various bits and pieces arriving with Memories of Reach. One of the features included will be new Matchmaking Search Preferences. These options will be present on the Arena and Warzone playlist selection screens and will give you the ability to choose between Balanced, Focused, or Expanded as your search preference. Here’s how these break down:
◾Balanced (default): Search for a match based on your fireteam's skill and network connection quality.
◾Expanded: Widen search parameters to find the first available match with reasonable skill matching and network connection quality.
◾Focused: Narrow search to find the best match based on your fireteam's skill and connection. Search times may be longer than normal.

Below is a look at how and where these options will live within the UI. If you so choose, you can easily switch up your preference before you enter a playlist.

matchmaking-preferences-ce6cdd4d9b804294bbf92120ec4fba45.jpg

If any of this confuses you or you’re not sure which to select, you’ve been using the default “balanced” setting all along. Once Memories of Reach is live, be sure to jump in and let us know your thoughts.

Strider

Strider needs to eat crow tho - he said skill would never be an option for Matchmaking :p

Ahem...

Yep. I'll take that L.... But just read back in the thread to see all the people going wtf lol

super skeptical of how this is gonna play out.

But ay man watch ya self... digging up old posts is a dangerous game lol

I already miss Super Fiesta. Before I was playing SF with some Slayer games in-between and it was a pretty nice balance between fun and competitive. Today was the first day I was just like meh, I don’t want to play this game. I played FFA SWAT just because I should try it before judging it; it wasn’t very exciting I went 49 and 20 something. After that I played a Slayer match then I just turned off my XBO. I don’t play WZ because I don’t like soloing against farming parties. I’d love to play some BTB but,
you guys already know what I’m going to say!

Yep. I'll take that L.... But just read back in the thread to see all the people going wtf lol

super skeptical of how this is gonna play out.

But ay man watch ya self... digging up old posts is a dangerous game lol

hehe just messing with you though. nothing serious at all really. I was hoping I guessed how 343i was gonna think but I was wrong too LOL I was too simplistic.

Yeah , it is going to be a weird time ahead of us when that drops. Kind of wished they had better detail. I want to assume Focused means it'll region lock or connect to any server with X amount of ms or ping or whatever.

Top Bottom