• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal |OT| Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter – Thursdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
loved the main two performances. plus there was some really great shots in here.

did not disappoint. i just hope it doesn't become a formulaic procedural because if they keep this up then damn, show will be great.

mads mikkelsen had A LOT to live up to with this character but he did an excellent job.

asian chick was like your typical character you get in EVERYTHING. the skeptical and annoying brat who always has to prod and annoy the genius.

I really liked it. But, I have to agree with the reviews that said they didn't like the accent. I had to keep turning up the volume to hear what Hannibal said.

BluWacky

I can't wait to watch this. Bryan Fuller is a genius (although Mockingbird Lane was a bit eh, admittedly).

Is Caroline Dhavernas in the first ep? I haven't seen much mention of her in the reviews - obviously the focus is on Dancy and Mikkelsen which makes sense but it seems like she's one of the primary actresses in the show.

xenist

This is the good shit. Great direction and great acting from all three main guys. I look forward to terrible numbers and swift cancellation.

Sloane

Banned
Is Caroline Dhavernas in the first ep? I haven't seen much mention of her in the reviews - obviously the focus is on Dancy and Mikkelsen which makes sense but it seems like she's one of the primary actresses in the show.
She was in two scenes and she wasn't really good in those to be honest.

Other than that, it looks much better then The Following and Bates Motel but I guess that's not really an accomplishment. I'll withhold my judgment until I've seen at least three or four episodes to figure out where the story is heading -- after the pilot, I honestly have no clue if this will be watchable or boring as shit as the season goes on.

Vert boil

You won't like me when you psychoanalyse me.

will150sj4.gif

SPECIAL AGENT WILL GRAHAM SMASH!

Shooting from the end.
Antler girl.
Some nice blood work in the show.

Nice show.

anaron

4.3 million, 1.6 demo

Coming in third place in NBC’s 10 p.m. Thursday “death slot” against original episodes of ABC’s Scandal and CBS’ Elementary, the new crime drama had 4.3 million viewers and a 1.6 in the adult demo. That’s NBC’s best rating in the hour with entertainment programming in more than a year. It’s up 78 percent from the debut of the short-lived Do No Harm in January and climbed 45 percent from its special Go On lead-in.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I actually liked the accent. :(

This show is better than I expected. I hope it does well, but...

This is the good shit. Great direction and great acting from all three main guys. I look forward to terrible numbers and swift cancellation.

Yep. :/

Enjoyed it a lot. Hugh Dancy was surprisingly good and I liked Mikkelsen as Lecter a lot, he kind of seemed like a mix of Cox and Hopkins. Kind of hard to understand, though, I had to rewind a couple times to catch everything he said. I liked how he didn't have a huge role, the character was used really effectively without overpowering the rest of the cast.

David Slade did a great job directing, I really liked the style. Hope this has more success than Awake did.

Normally I'm pretty indifferent to Bryan Fuller, but he did a great job here.

I'm pretty thrilled that NBC decided to stick to 13 episodes per season, too, I think that's a way better model. Especially if it ends up overdoing the procedural aspect (like Awake did).

Salvadora

I quite enjoyed the pilot.

Mikkelsen was a great Lector, as I suspected really.

I hope they slow down a little as it ended up feeling a little bit rushed (in regards to the serial killer, especially). They could have done a bit more with him.

The season preview was probably stuffing a lot in to make it seem action packed, but I'm praying it slows down. Unless of course it does only last one season.

loved it!
hopefully they dont have a plan on keeping this show alive for more than 4 seasons. that would keep the pacing up and hopefully the quality of the show will be intact

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_mksau5NhDb1qzwerao1_500.jpg

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/04/hannibal-bryan-fuller-the-shining/

Why put The Shining homages in Hannibal?

Fuller: I’ve been wanting to do the bathroom [set] forever. I tried to do it several times on Pushing Daisies but we always had budget restrictions and I wanted it to be exactly like that bathroom. Every show I’ve done I wanted to build a bathroom that looked like that space. What’s so remarkable about it is it’s a purely psychological space. You were inside this secret corner of Jack Torrance’s mind where the ghost of Overlook’s past has cornered him and is having a conversation about killing his family. It’s almost like a fantasy bathroom that actually doesn’t exist in reality because it’s anachronistic to the rest of the ballroom — it’s such a stark juxtaposition to everything else that we’re seeing at the hotel. It’s like they dipped the entire set in blood. Like it’s some symbolic weapon that hadn’t entirely penetrated the victim. That impressed me the most and had the biggest impression on me. I understood watching it as a 10 year old that this was psychological storytelling. He wasn’t concerned what was real or what was not real.

tumblr_mkpo95Zb2j1qamybzo4_250.gif
tumblr_mkpo95Zb2j1qamybzo2_250.gif

Tugatrix

I have a doubt about the plot
Did Lecter feed Graham with his victim lungs?, because if he did this show just keep delivering an amazing plot

Clevinger

Is it? Revolution debuted with 11.65 million viewers by way of comparison. Keep in mind there should be a sizable drop next week (probably around 20-30%).

The way the paragraph's written, it seems to be pretty decent for that shitty timeslot. Maybe Ivysaur or someone can come in here and shed some light on its goodness or badness.

Polari

The way the paragraph's written, it seems to be pretty decent for that shitty timeslot. Maybe Ivysaur or someone can come in here and shed some light on its goodness or badness.

Yeah I have no idea. Elementary seems to be averaging around 11 million in the same time slot though.

TheOddOne

I have a doubt about the plot
Did Lecter feed Graham with his victim lungs?, because if he did this show just keep delivering an amazing plot
The copycat killer plotline was never touched upon after the reveal. When Hannibal and Graham are eating together, Graham says that after the copycat kill was the exact opposite of the case they were investigating – and because of that he finally figured it out. I think Lector is just playing with him, like the psychoanalysis he did on the spot on Graham, so him feeding him would not be out of the question.

obin_gam

I wonder if Lecter is the copycat killer, and it will be a new kill each week copying whatever case Graham is working on?

Yeah I have no idea. Elementary seems to be averaging around 11 million in the same time slot though.
From all of the ratings articles I've read it seems to be a soft, unremarkable but not terrible debut which is an improvement for NBC given their failures in that time slot in the past.

I'm watching and I hope it continues with the same level of quality. Hopefully that's enough to keep it around.

Tugatrix

The copycat killer plotline was never touched upon after the reveal. When Hannibal and Graham are eating together, Graham says that after the copycat kill was the exact opposite of the case they were investigating – and because of that he finally figured it out. I think Lector is just playing with him, like the psychoanalysis he did on the spot on Graham, so him feeding him would not be out of the question.

I believe Hannibal is the copycat and that make the show more interesting, seeing Lecter toying with Graham is very pleasant, take the story to an all new level.

Talon

I mean
he was clearly the copycat. That was the whole point of that "it's like he was giving me a perfect negative, so I could focus in on the right details."

The sausage bit was clearly made to make you feel uncomfortable. What I don't get is that I totally expected this to take place around Maryland, so I was sort of confused that they were in Minnesota. They clearly show Will flying in a plane...so where was he flying to/from? Is Lecter living in Minnesota because he couldn't have been cooking those lungs and packing breakfast otherwise.

TheOddOne

I mean
he was clearly the copycat. That was the whole point of that "it's like he was giving me a perfect negative, so I could focus in on the right details."

The sausage bit was clearly made to make you feel uncomfortable. What I don't get is that I totally expected this to take place around Maryland, so I was sort of confused that they were in Minnesota. They clearly show Will flying in a plane...so where was he flying to/from? Is Lecter living in Minnesota because he couldn't have been cooking those lungs and packing breakfast otherwise.
I didn't make it quite clear, but yeah Hannibal was the copycat.

I believe Hannibal is the copycat and that make the show more interesting, seeing Lecter toying with Graham is very pleasant, take the story to an all new level.
Yeah, I like it too.

Wiktor

Well, it's a Thursday night drama on NBC, sooooooooooooo...

At this point NBC is so desperate that anything that doesn't do absolutely terrible will propably get renewed. With Hannibal getting sold worldwide very fast I would be shocked if they didn't renew

xenist

At this point NBC is so desperate that anything that doesn't do absolutely terrible will propably get renewed. With Hannibal getting sold worldwide very fast I would be shocked if they didn't renew

They fucking better renew. I can't believe a shitty show like The Following is drawing two and three times the audience Hannibal did. I want a good serial killer show dammit.

commedieu

Banned
I saw another quirky-guy-solves-murders-creatively #453 last night. Can't say that I was taken in by any of it? The main characters 'insight' on the crimes, is amazingly dull and basic. Almost comical?
the phone tap's confirmed by some guy on a cherry picker moments later with a flashlight just saying "yep, its tapped!" Which had nothing to do with anything anyway.
They make mental study seem like its a disease that grows into other mental illnesses. It handles everything really poorly, and its writtenin a way that someone thinks someone would sound? But no real substance..? If the show didn't have the name Hannibal on it, it really wouldn't matter. It could be any show like this. Waste of a trademark.

Woah, is he insane, is he crazy? NO, hes crazy quirky smart with his own ticks and demons!

Everything was so cliche. The eating scene(gif)? Eh, they were just missing the standard classical music.

edit;

Although -- - I haven't watched TV since games of thrones ended... this was my first show on tv, this year. Dunno.. preface it with that.

Emwitus

Okay, i'm confused guys. Is that Hannibal guy already killing people? Were those real lungs? because i've been hearing the show is a prequel and i didn't get why the steel worker guy was killing the girls the same way hannibal was. Really disturbing nonetheless were the eating scenes and the hole tone of the show. Much darker than the following after episode one.

EDIT: I've never watched the hannibal movies.

good show but because of the disturbing theme might not be a constant viewer.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think NBC is banking on this being something that will allow them to attach quality to the network again. We already know that if this continues it will only be 13 episodes per season, perfect for the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu consumption crowd. Plus they're airing it at an odd time for network television, with this set to finish the season in late June. Seems pretty experimental.

Keeping the seasons down to 13 episodes is what I'm most excited for. A show like this just wouldn't stand up over a standard length network season. Taking a note from the cable and overseas networks and cutting it down is going to do a lot for quality.

And this was probably the most violence and blood I've ever seen on NBC.

Blader

Okay, i'm confused guys. Is that Hannibal guy already killing people? Were those real lungs? because i've been hearing the show is a prequel and i didn't get why the steel worker guy was killing the girls the same way hannibal was. Really disturbing nonetheless were the eating scenes and the hole tone of the show. Much darker than the following after episode one.

It's a prequel to the movies, not a prequel to his cannibalism.

TheOddOne

While the pilot is excellent, it's too soon to proclaim that it is better than show x. Shows like this can either be really amazing, middling or just outright terrible by how they execute it in the long run.

Other way around. The pipe worker was killing the girls in his own specific way and was also eating their organs. Hannibal killed the girl who was put on display and took out her lungs as a copycat killing.

I thought it was pretty obvious as the show specifically cuts to Hannibal preparing the lungs as soon as they say her lungs were removed.

Hannibal is very much a cannibal and killer right now.

While the pilot is excellent, it's too soon to proclaim that it is better than show x. Shows like this can either be really amazing, middling or just outright terrible by how they execute it in the long run.
Yep, but I can certainly proclaim that the pilot was better and showed more promise than one for "The Following". At least, IMO. Whether it's able to maintain that and execute on that promise? We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom